CAF Champions League in disarray

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: CAF Champions League in disarray

Post by Cristao II »

VAR was meant to be used. However it wasnt functioning. The players and teams were not informed. This should go to a court to be settled.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

In my opinion, Wydad will be banned for refusing to continue the game. That should be an easy decision. You cannot refuse to continue with a game, VAR or not. Just saw a letter from the providers of the VAR equipment (Hawk-eye) shared in a credible WhatsApp Forum apologizing for not delivering a complete equipment set for the VAR on time for the final. In essence, a serious breach of contract I suppose of which costs are attached. CAF has suffered image and reputation damage following the non-performance of this company and costs should be assessed. My tuppence.

On the process of using VAR? I thought that VAR is simply an assistant to the referee and, thus, the apt naming "VAR". Wydad have no authority pertaining to the use of the VAR. That is exclusively the domain of the refereeing crew (including operators of the VAR).
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Enugu II wrote:In my opinion, Wydad will be banned for refusing to continue the game. That should be an easy decision. You cannot refuse to continue with a game, VAR or not. Just saw a letter from the providers of the VAR equipment (Hawk-eye) shared in a credible WhatsApp Forum apologizing for not delivering a complete equipment set for the VAR on time for the final. In essence, a serious breach of contract I suppose of which costs are attached. CAF has suffered image and reputation damage following the non-performance of this company and costs should be assessed. My tuppence.

On the process of using VAR? I thought that VAR is simply an assistant to the referee and, thus, the apt naming "VAR". Wydad have no authority pertaining to the use of the VAR. That is exclusively the domain of the refereeing crew (including operators of the VAR).
Question is did the referee say he won’t check or was he willing to check but was failed by CAF?

Wydad has a stand for any case they pursued against CAF. Going back to the first leg, they were screwed badly by the ref that the ref got a 6 months ban. Then the second leg? They scored a perfectly legit goal which the ref could have checked if CAF fulfilled their end of the bargain by providing a functioning unit.
CAF failed through VAR and instead of seeking an alternative means, chose to punish the aggrieved. They could have checked verifiable video feed from the game broadcaster and made an on the fly decision. Afterwards they will tell each team about unavailability of VAR for the rest of the game. Common sense solution.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Were both teams informed, prior to the match, that VAR was malfunctioning therefore it's use will be limited? CAF messed up bigly on this one. I don't Wydad for refusing to continue participating in the match since they felt injustice had been melted out to them. Both teams agreed to play the game under the terms of VAR therefore if any part of the agreement is breached then they have a right to rescind the contract. CAF should have seek to redress the situation by cancelling the match and reschedule on a day when they can provide all the equipment necessary to conduct such a match.

Would the same outcome had been dealt out had Esparence been the one contesting the goal? I seriously doubt it.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
galoise
Egg
Egg

Post by galoise »

Tunisia (national sides and Clubs) have a miserable history of being backed by CAF refs. Whatever hold it is they have on CAF has persistently brought shame on African football.

How many times have we seen a CAF ref suspended, while referring a game involving Tunisia with Tunisia always coming ontop, and yet the same ref shows up again a month or 2 later at another CAF competition (usually involving Tunisia again...
Egg
Egg

Post by 404 »

CAF a bunch of clowns, the Presidency of CAF seems to be exclusively bestowed upon the Franco Africans instead of electing CAF executives on merit and ability. You cannot tell me Africa doesn’t have competent administrators! As for the North Africans they would never attempt the unruly behavior they display in CAF tournaments in a FIFA organized tournament because they know they would be sanctioned and the sanctions would be implemented not the case with CAF. In a civilized society where people value their honor and reputation the people responsible for this debacle would be apologizing and resigning from their respective positions——-not in Africa!
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Its a Goal wrote:Were both teams informed, prior to the match, that VAR was malfunctioning therefore it's use will be limited? CAF messed up bigly on this one. I don't Wydad for refusing to continue participating in the match since they felt injustice had been melted out to them. Both teams agreed to play the game under the terms of VAR therefore if any part of the agreement is breached then they have a right to rescind the contract. CAF should have seek to redress the situation by cancelling the match and reschedule on a day when they can provide all the equipment necessary to conduct such a match.

Would the same outcome had been dealt out had Esparence been the one contesting the goal? I seriously doubt it.
If the agreement was that VAR would be deployed and the teams were not informed that it was unavailable, it means CAF could not hold up their end of the agreement and didn't establish a new agreement with the teams before the game. So the match could be voided.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

Apparently the VAR was working, at least the screens were, during the Game

Which is why Wydad were incensed. It appears it was sabotaged to prevent the goal being examined.

The contentious goal, which looks very legit.

Esperance fans celebrating with the VAR box :roll: :roll:
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The laser beams have been going on at north African grounds for nearly 20 years. At virtually every CAF or AFCON game in north Africa. The north African fans also aim laser beams into the faces of opposition GKs to obscure their sight. Utter cheating.
Aswani wrote:
bret- hart wrote:Im sorry but North African players and fans behave like imbeciles during African football tournaments. So your team had a goal disallowed?? Move the F on and play the game. Ish happens all the time. The clock was at 59minutes. There was still time to equalize but what do they do? they disrupt the game, act like spoiled children and abandon the match. This petulance is what we have been subjected to for decades and CAF like bad parents allow this to continue. They never act like this at the WC cos they know FIFA will can them. WAC needs to be banned from future competitions and Esparance needs to be fined hefty for fan misconduct.

PS: when is CAF going to do something about those laser pointers??? Why are these idiots allowed to bring that object to the staduims??
I find it hard to disagree with this. North African clubsides are dab hands at the dark hands of ensuring they progress in competitions.

They start their underhand behaviour right form the airport, I hae no sympathy.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The statement made here by Ahmad will haunt him, I predict.
CAF PRESIDENT, AHMAD SYMPATHETIC WITH WYDAD OVER CHAMPIONS LEAGUE CONTROVERSY
7 HOURS AGO
https://www.sportsvillagesquare.com/201 ... ntroversy/

Egyptian publication, Kingfut has reported that CAF President, Ahmad has admitted that the controversial events that took place in the second leg of CAF Champions League final have been unfair to Wydad Athletic Club of Morocco.

CAF Emergency Committee will meet on Tuesday to deliberate on the issue. The return leg of the final match was stalemated on Friday as Wydad insisted that the referee of the match must consult the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) to verify a goal that was denied the side. Gambian referee, Bakari Gassama could not oblige, as there was none.

Reports had it that video replays showed that the goal was valid. Former CAF General Secretary Amr Fahmy was reported to have claimed that the Tunisians disabled the VAR as they had done in last year’s final match but luckily, there was no incident to warrant it.

Last Friday, following the goal scored by Walid El Karti for Wydad and out for offside., the Moroccans held on to their right to resume the game only when VAR is in action.

The CAF President went onto the pitch to convince the Moroccan to resume the match and after the game had been halted for almost an hour, Esperance were announced winners.

“Yes. Everything has been unfair towards Wydad. We have had an agreement with a company to supply VAR; however, they informed us they wouldn’t be apply to provide it for technical reasons just before the game,” Ahmad spoke to Moroccan magazine HeSPORT.

“I have no answers to give you. I am even so frightened after what happened,” he concluded.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Enugu II wrote:The statement made here by Ahmad will haunt him, I predict.
CAF PRESIDENT, AHMAD SYMPATHETIC WITH WYDAD OVER CHAMPIONS LEAGUE CONTROVERSY
7 HOURS AGO
https://www.sportsvillagesquare.com/201 ... ntroversy/

Egyptian publication, Kingfut has reported that CAF President, Ahmad has admitted that the controversial events that took place in the second leg of CAF Champions League final have been unfair to Wydad Athletic Club of Morocco.

CAF Emergency Committee will meet on Tuesday to deliberate on the issue. The return leg of the final match was stalemated on Friday as Wydad insisted that the referee of the match must consult the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) to verify a goal that was denied the side. Gambian referee, Bakari Gassama could not oblige, as there was none.

Reports had it that video replays showed that the goal was valid. Former CAF General Secretary Amr Fahmy was reported to have claimed that the Tunisians disabled the VAR as they had done in last year’s final match but luckily, there was no incident to warrant it.

Last Friday, following the goal scored by Walid El Karti for Wydad and out for offside., the Moroccans held on to their right to resume the game only when VAR is in action.

The CAF President went onto the pitch to convince the Moroccan to resume the match and after the game had been halted for almost an hour, Esperance were announced winners.

“Yes. Everything has been unfair towards Wydad. We have had an agreement with a company to supply VAR; however, they informed us they wouldn’t be apply to provide it for technical reasons just before the game,” Ahmad spoke to Moroccan magazine HeSPORT.

“I have no answers to give you. I am even so frightened after what happened,” he concluded.

He should have cancelled the game and called for a replay duh!!! Why is Africa cursed with incompetent leaders? Tufia. Im starting to miss Thief Hayatou. This travesty would not have happened under his watch.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
CAF Again - Champs Final Replay Ordered

Post by YUJAM »

Morons. Who make sleepy Hatatou look competent. These guys actually awarded the trophy to ES

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... casablanca
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: CAF Controversy Again Plus - Champs Final

Post by Bigpokey24 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: this made me life... so the 2nd leg will be replayed after AFCON :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Confederation of African Football: President Ahmad detained in France
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

When some say Africans cannot organize a pi$$ up in a brewery, we get defensive.
First they award the match to a team
Then issue a winners medal, then later on decide to replay the match and recall the medals and trophy. What if Wayad wins the next game so the trophy and medals change hands again until another legal challenge?.... kai
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

kajifu wrote:Confederation of African Football: President Ahmad detained in France
Gets interesting......
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
CAF Orders Replay......

Post by Enugu II »

I am completely surprised by this decision on several grounds.
CAF orders replay of abandoned African Champions League final
AFP AFP•June 5, 2019
https://news.yahoo.com/caf-orders-repla ... --sow.html

Paris (AFP) - African football's governing body has ordered the abandoned second leg of the CAF Champions League final between Esperance and Wydad Casablanca to be replayed at a neutral venue after this month's Cup of Nations.

The ruling thrusts African football into chaos just over two weeks before the start of an expanded 24-team Cup of Nations in Egypt, a tournament plagued by a troubled build-up.

Tunisian club Esperance were initially handed the title after Moroccan side Wydad Casablanca walked off an hour into last week's return match in Tunis because VAR was unavailable to judge a disallowed equaliser.
Holders Esperance were leading 1-0 in the second leg and 2-1 overall when play was halted, and after a 90-minute delay the referee awarded the match to the home side.

"The playing and security conditions were not met during the second leg of the CAF Champions League final, preventing the match from reaching its conclusion," CAF presidential advisor Hedi Hamel said Wednesday following a lengthy executive committee meeting in Paris.

"As a result, the match will have to be replayed at a ground outside of Tunisia... (and) Esperance will have to the give trophy back."

"The match will be played after the CAN (Africa Cup of Nations) at a date to be determined," he added, with the tournament due to run from June 21 to July 19.

Esperance are expected to challenge the decision. A club source said officials would explore all viable options, starting by taking the matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

"We're not going to just fold our arms. It's an absurd decision and a dangerous precedent that opens the door to other protests during the CAN," the source said.

- Credibility at stake -

FIFA president Gianni Infantino, re-elected head of world football's governing body Wednesday, said the incident was "unfortunate" for "Africa's credibility".

The build-up to the Cup of Nations has also been blighted by uncertainty after Cameroon was stripped of the hosting rights in November having fallen too far behind in its preparations.

That left Egypt, appointed as replacement hosts in January, in a race against time after the country was given just six months to ready itself for the event.

Tunisian media reported that officials were aware before last Friday's second leg that the VAR system was not working, but the players seemingly did not know.

Wydad believed they had levelled on 59 minutes when Walid el Karti headed a cross into the net. TV replays confirmed he was onside, but might have fouled an opponent with his shoulder.

The Moroccan team insisted that the Gambian referee check with VAR, apparently unaware that the often controversial system was unavailable.

Wydad substitutes and coach Faouzi Benzarti joined in the protests, while plastic bottles containing liquid were also flung toward the visiting players and staff as tempers flared.

At one stage, CAF president Ahmad Ahmad and the bosses of Esperance and Wydad spoke on the side of the pitch without succeeding in getting the match restarted.

VAR had played a major role in the first leg of the final in Morocco on May 24, with referrals ruling out a goal by Wydad and later appeals for a penalty by the Moroccans in a 1-1 draw.

The Egyptian referee of that match was subsequently banned for six months with CAF saying his performance was "poor".
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

pajimoh wrote:When some say Africans cannot organize a pi$$ up in a brewery, we get defensive.
Then issue a winners medal, then later on decide to replay the match and recall the medals and trophy. What if Wayad wins the next game so the trophy and medals change hands again until another legal challenge?.... kai
Sad so what happen the the trophy that has the winner name on it now?
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

pajimoh wrote:When some say Africans cannot organize a pi$$ up in a brewery, we get defensive.
The West African referee left a lot to be desired!
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: CAF Again - Champs Final Replay Ordered

Post by Orion »

We discussed this in the match thread. It was obvious that CAF couldn't defend this. The contract with the teams was that VAR would be used and they never informed the teams when it turned out VAR was not available, certainly not Wydad. How they expected to sneak through the game without informing the teams that VAR was not available is beyond me. CAF needs to pay both teams compensation as well as having the match replayed.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: CAF Again - Champs Final Replay Ordered

Post by Cito »

Orion wrote:We discussed this in the match thread. It was obvious that CAF couldn't defend this. The contract with the teams was that VAR would be used and they never informed the teams when it turned out VAR was not available, certainly not Wydad. How they expected to sneak through the game without informing the teams that VAR was not available is beyond me. CAF needs to pay both teams compensation as well as having the match replayed.
I am suprised how hard it is for some to figure this out. You made a commitment with terms stipulated, you failed and I decided not to continue due to the changes and you punish me. On what planet is that justifiable.

CAF should have at least reached out to the official broadcaster for a quick video of the incident and use it to make the call. Afterwards, tell the teams that VAR is no longer available for the last ~30 mins or so of the game.

Now they have more legal battles on their hand. Morons!
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...no be Nigerian dey in charge of CAF, since the other oga in jail or incapacitated :???: :???:
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

The decision to replay the final has been overturned by the Court of Arbritration in Sports .... but if I understand correctly, the replay decision could still be reinstated.

Na wa. They replaced yeye Hayatou with people who are apparently worse than him. In any case, Samoura formally takes over CAF today.
CAS revokes CAF decision to replay African Champions League final
But CAS on Wednesday ruled that the executive committee of CAF were not "competent" to make a decision that the game be replayed.

CAS said it was now up to competent bodies within the federation, without giving further details, to decide if the game needs replaying or not.

Requests by Wydad to be named champions and granted the winners' paycheck were rejected, with CAS adding that Esperance's appeal would be investigated at a later date.
Sauce: https://ewn.co.za/2019/07/31/cas-revoke ... ague-final
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.