CE is struggling with the evolution of Nigerian football

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

waka-man
Egg
Egg
CE is struggling with the evolution of Nigerian football

Post by waka-man »

Took the time with my son to rewatch the Flying Eagles three games in Poland. Some thoughts:

Apart from the first 30 mins against the US, Nigeria has matched or outplayed their opponents in their games. So while this is by no means a well-oiled machine of a team, it is certainly not the horror show many on CE have bemoaned it to be. Quite a few people have described it as being the worst Nigerian team they have ever seen!!! Which makes you wonder what we should do with 1986, and the whole 2006 - 2012 period of Super Eagles.

But I respect CE too much to put this down to just game stress. Which got me thinking: perhaps the radical evolution of our style of football that has accelerated over the last 5 years is leaving many of us looking for something that is no longer there.

Perhaps we are still looking for gifted individual playing expansive football, speedy wingers, pocket magicians and out and out strikers.

When In reality, apart from at U17 level, our football, like Brazil’s, has become more European, with the added physicality of dominant central midfielders. Where Oliseh was an elegant operator, our midfields now tend to made up of aggressive and busy ball winners. Think Ndidi, Etebo even Onazi. And even Mikel has had to adjust to a faster, less controlled game that scarifies possession for pressure and looks to win the ball furthr upfield without leaving holes between or in front of the back four.

These flying eagles are the total embodiment of this new system.

Don’t get me wrong, Tijani leaves much to be desired as a finisher and even in these systems, you still want an Eriksen or a Mane who can make something out of nothing, and we don’t have that.

But in Ogbu Igoh we have the next incarnation of Joseph Yobo, a calm and assured defender who makes everything look easy. And in Nathan Ofoborh we have the sort of tireless midfield engine that keeps sides like this ticking on.

Will they win the tournament? I don’t think so. They just don’t have the goals in them. But are they some hopeless basket case of Nigerian football? No. They are the purest manifestation yet of an emerging, post-Okocha style of football that is closer to Tottenham Hotspur than it is to Arsenal, closer to Athletico than it is to Real. It is direct, high-press and busy. It is happy to cede possession if not recovered quickly and sit back. And it is based on technical competence throughout the field, rather than a system of water-carriers feeding maestros.

CE will need to not just get used to it, but embrace it and learn to love it. Because I think it’ll be with us for a long time.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: CE is struggling with the evolution of Nigerian football

Post by danfo driver »

I think you are being too kind.

Many PRESENT CE members, like most football fans, do not know how to analyze football. Football and footballers have changed, and so have the fans. Just like footballers, the fans have become less intelligent about the game.

For instance, yesterday, I watched the Tottenham v Liverpool game at a sports bar with some naija guys. Two facets of the game made me realize that I was watching the game with people who do not understand football:

1. When Poch substituted Harry Winks and there was a large hole in the Tottenham midfield, and Liverpool almost scored twice. I kept telling them that the substitution was the right substitution. The problem was that Sissoko was not dropping into Winks' position in Tottenham's defensive phase of the game. It was Sissoko's job to make that "drop-in" and cover that space when Tottenham was under attack. They kept arguing with me that "no! Poch has made a mistake!" what happened? All of a sudden, everyone realized that Sissoko was carrying a knock and he got subbed. It was the knock that prevented him from making those tracking runs.

2. Aldeweireld's capability for the second goal and his lack of awareness. I watched him yesterday very well-- for the first time--, and I couldn't believe how a player so talented lacked awareness. Dude always seemed lost on his own. I mentioned it many times and these guys just kept on saying "he is one of the best defenders in the world!' That was all! No analysis! Just simply, he is one of the best. And I dolt them that I was not arguing that fact. I am simply saying that the guy lacks awareness of his surroundings. And then boom! The second goal happened.. were he completely lost track of Origi who was right beside him all along, and they kept quiet.

Bro, thanks for being nice.. but the truth is that most football fans are dumb (when it comes to football). They dont understand the game and are only concerned with the flicks and tricks of it. Thats why I no longer interact with people in game threads. Times truly have changed.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

What is evolutionary about using overaged players?

What is evolutionary about playing outside a proper tactical organization?

waka-man wrote:Took the time with my son to rewatch the Flying Eagles three games in Poland. Some thoughts:

Apart from the first 30 mins against the US, Nigeria has matched or outplayed their opponents in their games. So while this is by no means a well-oiled machine of a team, it is certainly not the horror show many on CE have bemoaned it to be. Quite a few people have described it as being the worst Nigerian team they have ever seen!!! Which makes you wonder what we should do with 1986, and the whole 2006 - 2012 period of Super Eagles.

But I respect CE too much to put this down to just game stress. Which got me thinking: perhaps the radical evolution of our style of football that has accelerated over the last 5 years is leaving many of us looking for something that is no longer there.

Perhaps we are still looking for gifted individual playing expansive football, speedy wingers, pocket magicians and out and out strikers.

When In reality, apart from at U17 level, our football, like Brazil’s, has become more European, with the added physicality of dominant central midfielders. Where Oliseh was an elegant operator, our midfields now tend to made up of aggressive and busy ball winners. Think Ndidi, Etebo even Onazi. And even Mikel has had to adjust to a faster, less controlled game that scarifies possession for pressure and looks to win the ball furthr upfield without leaving holes between or in front of the back four.

Don’t get me wrong, Tijani leaves much to be desired as a finisher and even in these systems, you still want an Eriksen or a Mane who can make something out of nothing, and we don’t have that.

But in Ogbu Igoh we have the next incarnation of Joseph Yobo, a calm and assured defender who makes everything look easy. And in Nathan Ofoborh we have the sort of tireless midfield engine that keeps sides like this ticking on.

Will they win the tournament? I don’t think so. They just don’t have the goals in them. But are they some hopeless basket case of Nigerian football? No. They are the purest manifestation yet of an emerging, post-Okocha style of football that is closer to Tottenham Hotspur than it is to Arsenal, closer to Athletico than it is to Real. It is direct, high-press and busy. It is happy to cede possession if not recovered quickly and sit back. And it is based on technical competence throughout the field, rather than a system of water-carriers feeding maestros.

CE will need to not just get used to it, but embrace it and learn to love it. Because I think it’ll be with us for a long time.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

danfo driver wrote:I think you are being too kind.

Many PRESENT CE members, like most football fans, do not know how to analyze football. Football and footballers have changed, and so have the fans. Just like footballers, the fans have become less intelligent about the game.

For instance, yesterday, I watched the Tottenham v Liverpool game at a sports bar with some naija guys. Two facets of the game made me realize that I was watching the game with people who do not understand football:

1. When Poch substituted Harry Winks and there was a large hole in the Tottenham midfield, and Liverpool almost scored twice. I kept telling them that the substitution was the right substitution. The problem was that Sissoko was not dropping into Winks' position in Tottenham's defensive phase of the game. It was Sissoko's job to make that "drop-in" and cover that space when Tottenham was under attack. They kept arguing with me that "no! Poch has made a mistake!" what happened? All of a sudden, everyone realized that Sissoko was carrying a knock and he got subbed. It was the knock that prevented him from making those tracking runs.

2. Aldeweireld's capability for the second goal and his lack of awareness. I watched him yesterday very well-- for the first time--, and I couldn't believe how a player so talented lacked awareness. Dude always seemed lost on his own. I mentioned it many times and these guys just kept on saying "he is one of the best defenders in the world!' That was all! No analysis! Just simply, he is one of the best. And I dolt them that I was not arguing that fact. I am simply saying that the guy lacks awareness of his surroundings. And then boom! The second goal happened.. were he completely lost track of Origi who was right beside him all along, and they kept quiet.

Bro, thanks for being nice.. but the truth is that most football fans are dumb (when it comes to football). They dont understand the game and are only concerned with the flicks and tricks of it. Thats why I no longer interact with people in game threads. Times truly have changed.
E be like say Conductor don miss with ya Money!

The topic is on Naija football and fans, you follow up with elaborate examples & case studies of Spurs from last night.

I won't have time for your yabs till Wednesday or later, so feel free to keep them on ice (or in the Fridge)
Last edited by truetalk on Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

txj wrote:What is evolutionary about using overaged players?

waka-man wrote:Took the time with my son to rewatch the Flying Eagles three games in Poland. Some thoughts:

Focusing on age at the U-20 level is not bright.
ahidjo2
Egg
Egg

Post by ahidjo2 »

Yes, you are right to some extent. For most people here, the standard basis for assessing and determining the quality of a team is by the scoreline. After the game against Qatar, a lot of us screamed on top of our voices, how poor most of the players were but some people who refuse to pay attention to the details of the game, felt that the team was super due to the 4-0 scoreline. Some of the players I saw were terrible: Salaudeen, Tijani, Rabiu... We saw how tactically and technically poor they were. Some even stated that they were technically better than the US team. There was no justification for fielding some of the players and leaving out players like Igoh Ogbu, Oforboh, and Success, no reason. It seems to me that the coach is bent of sabotaging the team for reasons known only to him. I do have a feeling that he will still not use these players against Senegal and still use Tijani. So in this case, there is nothing revolutionary about a coach sabotaging a team. So far, the best game they have played was against Ukraine because he fielded close to our best.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Nothing exciting about finishing 3rd in a group made up of the USA, Qatar & Ukraine.

In the final game, we were up against a Ukrainian team resting about half of its starters, and we needed 2 penalties to tie the game.

Gotti has highlighted some of the factors that explain why this team is so shambolic. Scoring was a problem for them at the AFCON, & it appears Paul Aigbogun laid all his attacking eggs in the basket of a striker that decided to skip the tournament at the end of the day. The backline (apart from the No. 2) is solid, but the GK is very poor. I got worried with the goal we conceded against Mali (also the only goal conceded in regulation throughout the tournament). He goes to ground too early when a striker is approaching (on breakaways etc) & even with his height, he is poor with crosses. Even his kicks are poor and hardly cross the halfway line (he throws the ball like a top rate NFL QB though)

There is no way this guy can be the best 20 or 19 year old keeper in the NPFL, NFL or in the academies. That was why I was really hoping we got Okonkwo for this tournament as well.

A lot of the players on this team are poor, and nothing can change that. I think the scouting could have been better.

Let me be like Danfo and use an EPL team & the Champions league final to make my point as well :taunt: :taunt:

Good, solid players are a major determinant of the quality and level of achievement of a team.

Liverpool realised that there were quality gaps on the field preventing the club from getting to the elite level, so they went out to get the best defender (Virgil) & GK (Alison) they could find, & the team is so much better that it was 18 months ago.

What a lot of us are worried about with this team goes way beyond style. It is a lack of quality. The quality that should be expected at this level.

Hopefully, they can step up and make a deep run in this tournament. We will rejoice and celebrate as fans of Nigerian football.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

truetalk wrote:
danfo driver wrote:I think you are being too kind.

E be like say Conductor don miss with ya Money!

The topic is on Naija football and fans, you follow up with elaborate examples & case studies of Spurs from last night.

I won't have time for your yabs till Wednesday or later, so feel free to keep them on ice (or in the Fridge)
Your response does not surprise me and it is what I expect. Your response is an example of the lack of intelligence I was speaking about.

Considering how shallow and brainless your reasoning is, you read my "examples & case studies" and you understood it to refer to "Spurs from last night." An intelligent person would read my examples and analysis and will immediately recognize that I was analyzing the understanding of the game displayed by the "naija guys, with whom I watched the game in a sports bar."

There are people like you who are mature physically, but you lack the basic skills of "comprehension" "understanding" and "reasoning." For such adults, we are forced to use "color-coding" to help them along. I have done so for you above in blue color code.

It is a shame that Cybereagles, a once amazing place for the highest level of football discuss has drowned into this.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Some people don't understand football. SIMPLE.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

truetalk wrote:
txj wrote:What is evolutionary about using overaged players?

Focusing on age at the U-20 level is not bright.

And ignoring it is bright?

We have players who largely play from instinct; with little concept of the team game, or understanding of space and movement.

Its not a new system in the least. Its largely the same type of players; nearly all self-formed...Utin being the best example, like the LBs we have played in the last 5 age grade tournaments...

And what is worse, too matured for the level at which their game is in currently...

I pray they get lucky and get into clubs where the managers have faith in them to invest in their development; esp Ozornweke(sp)...

New system? I'm having a real laugh..... :lol: :lol:

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

To be fair, the age thing is not what this post is about (instead it’s a more general point about a significant change in style that the Nigerian game has gone through). But I do have to say, I’m struggling to get a clear understanding of the age debate apart from statements about how old someone “looks”.

Back to the point: it is clear that as European football has become the central economic force in world football, Africans are generally seen as either strong central midfielders, pacy wise men or dominant centre forwards. Has this caused a shift in the African game as a whole?

What’s clear is that the Nigerian version is hard tackling, high pressing and very direct with defenders expected to hit wide forwards with diagonal balls of central forwards with balls over the top.

For the SE, it will be interesting to see who takes up the Victor Moses role as primary outlet for the counter-attack (think goals v Algeria and Iceland). It’s a role Osaze once played. That offensive weapon is one I’m yet to see the FE use in Poland.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

90% of CEs like txj are in their late 60s. They have not played or been involved in organized soccer of any type whatsoever. So it's your problem if you take their gibberish seriously.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

1naija wrote:90% of CEs like txj are in their late 60s. They have not played or been involved in organized soccer of any type whatsoever. So it's your problem if you take their gibberish seriously.
Nice profile picture you have there. When did you snap it? :lol: :lol: