Nnations league final-- England 1 v 3 Holland

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Cally
Egg
Egg
Re: Nnations league final-- England 1 v 0 Holland

Post by Cally »

txj wrote:what a player Frankie De Jong is...
The guy owns the ball and never gives it up. I love his channel passes.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

1-1 FT

Few things to note:

De Jong and De Ligt are world class players, but if course that's stating the obvious.

Depay might never end up been that elite class of player, just decent at best.

Maguire is a real hype job, don't see anything exceptional about him.

Sterling under Pep has grown into a phenomenal player.

Lastly, Sancho is a BALLER.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Netherlands balling ....
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

What's wrong now? Where is everyone?
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Na wa for this Englanf defense Ooo...

Like the good ol days of shambolic English defending
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Holland :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
OCCUPY NFF!!
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

McGuire is one hell of a defender,......straight from hell.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

If only Ajax knew how to defend we would have had a truly memorable champions league finale.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Game over! Bad karma don catch England and their yeye holiganistic fans.

The better more positive team won, no questions asked.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nations league final-- England 1 v 3 Holland OT

Post by Enugu II »

As I am watching this so many things are coming through my mind. Does any one keep stats for errors such as errors assigned in American baseball? If someone does, there were three of them today (De Ligt, Stones, and Barkley). IMO, such a statistic is required, if it does not now exist. I feel on the goal assigned to Walker, that the biggest issue there is the error by Stones and it ought to be reflected as a stat in this game. Just my tuppence.
Last edited by Enugu II on Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Spurs lost because they played Kane. England lost because they benched Kane
Next time Kane should just hug the touchline
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Enugu II wrote:As I am watching this so many things are coming through my mind. Does any one keep starts for errors such as errors assigned in American baseball? If someone does, there were three of them today (Delgt, Stones, and Barkley). IMO, such a statistics bus required if it does not now exist. I feel on the go assigned to Walker, that the biggest issue there is the error by Stones and it ought to be reflected as a stat in this game. Just my tuppence.

Americans are too married to their stat keeping in my opinion. While it is helpful as an indicator of trends and for training info, I think they over rely on stats for everything.

I like the abstract side of sports that no stat can capture adequately. Such as being in the right position on the field, or winning personal battles, or making the right decision at the right time.

There are some aspects of winning no stat can capture.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nnations league final-- England 1 v 3 Holland

Post by oloye »

So what was that Stones doing with the ball.. He fancies himself a descendant of Franz Beckenbauer
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
bk-one
Egg
Egg

Post by bk-one »

pajimoh wrote:Spurs lost because they played Kane. England lost because they benched Kane
How effective Kane is mostly determined by who is officiating and how he is officiating. He is a very physical player always testing the boundaries of the law(gotta give him credit for that). In the premier league due to the quality of the officials, he will get away with most of the pushing but in international games its a completely different ball game as referees dont allow that or they are more alert to those snide pushes /fouls.

He was not properly fit but I also think that the international game is kinda limiting him unlike the epl where they are allowing him to just do his thing.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

charlie wrote:
Enugu II wrote:As I am watching this so many things are coming through my mind. Does any one keep starts for errors such as errors assigned in American baseball? If someone does, there were three of them today (Delgt, Stones, and Barkley). IMO, such a statistics bus required if it does not now exist. I feel on the go assigned to Walker, that the biggest issue there is the error by Stones and it ought to be reflected as a stat in this game. Just my tuppence.

Americans are too married to their stat keeping in my opinion. While it is helpful as an indicator of trends and for training info, I think they over rely on stats for everything.

I like the abstract side of sports that no stat can capture adequately. Such as being in the right position on the field, or winning personal battles, or making the right decision at the right time.

Charlie,

I doubt that anyone will disagree with the highlighted. However, statistic is like research -- the goal of achieving predictability where possible. As you do know, research has helped the human race advance. Statistic is doing the same for football but, like research, it will never capture everything. The goal is to capture as much as possible and provide valuable insight.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Enugu II wrote:
charlie wrote:

Charlie,

I doubt that anyone will disagree with the highlighted. However, statistic is like research -- the goal of achieving predictability where possible. As you do know, research has helped the human race advance. Statistic is doing the same for football but, like research, it will never capture everything. The goal is to capture as much as possible and provide valuable insight.
I hear you bro and I know you are right. Its just, after living in the US for so many years, were every player in all major sports are boiled down to a stat sheet, its just turned me off away from stats as a generalist indicator of talent. I know its illogical given the benefits stats driven research has shown to bring to sports and other field, its just the old fashioned part of me that rebels against the new gen statisticians.

For example, take Holland's 3rd goal. Stats will show it was a Depay assist to Promes, but as you pointed out, no stat will capture the dreadful mistake from Stones, or the fact that Depay made the right decision to pass the ball rather than try to round the keeper 1-v-1 or shoot on target. There is just no substitute for the eyeball and intangibles that any math equation can adequately capture.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

charlie wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
charlie wrote:

Charlie,

I hear you bro and I know you are right. Its just, after living in the US for so many years, were every player in all major sports are boiled down to a stat sheet, its just turned me off away from stats as a generalist indicator of talent. I know its illogical given the benefits stats driven research has shown to bring to sports and other field, its just the old fashioned part of me that rebels against the new gen statisticians.

For example, take Holland's 3rd goal. Stats will show it was a Depay assist to Promes, but as you pointed out, no stat will capture the dreadful mistake from Stones, or the fact that Depay made the right decision to pass the ball rather than try to round the keeper 1-v-1 or shoot on target. There is just no substitute for the eyeball and intangibles that any math equation can adequately capture.
If E2's suggestion is adopted, that will be captured too. Just wait until the USA start using stats to flog everyone in football. I give it another 15 - 20 years.

Wha choo looking at?!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Cally wrote:This De Jong boy na Rolls Royce Phantom...
He will be molue under Valverde.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Memphis Depay might as well be English cos he is so overrated. Holland surely have better forwards than that midget.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Whatever happened to that Naija boy that dumped us for Holland? I don't see him making their z team :lol:
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

bret- hart wrote:Whatever happened to that Naija boy that dumped us for Holland? I don't see him making their z team :lol:
Danjuma has been injured for most of the season.
I am happy
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

pajimoh wrote:Spurs lost because they played Kane. England lost because they benched Kane
England lost when Kane comes in,seriously he is not yet fit and to his best.The coaches make mistakes to be playing unfit player.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

the defenders , stone and Maguire should be flogged
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved