Analysis of yesterday's game??

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Paveman
Egg
Egg
Analysis of yesterday's game??

Post by Paveman »

Can anyone who has seen the game yesterday provide a short analysis? Also, how was the line-up, 4-2-3-1?
I'm sorry I had to miss the game yesterday...

Some points I am curious about:
Has Akpeyi overhauled Uzoho?
Was Iwobi a 3rd midfielder playing predominantly on one flank, or was he infront of Mikel and Etebo in a central role?
How did the play change when Onuachu was hauled off?
Last edited by Paveman on Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Analysis of yesterday's game

Post by Gotti »

I think there’s a video of the game on this thread...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=295058
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Paveman wrote:Can anyone who has seen the game yesterday provide a short analysis? Also, how was the line-up, 4-2-3-1?

Was Iwobi a 3rd midfielder playing predominantly on one flank, or was he infront of Mikel and Etebo in a central role?
Akpeyi was not tested but his ball distribution was miles above Uzoho´s distribution. Also I noticed that when Akpeyi or Ezinwa is in goal, the defense seems a lot more organised. It could be a phsycological thing due to Uzohos age and experience, maybe the defenders are more relaxed when they know that they dont have a 19 year old in goal with little experience.
Iwobi played as the number ten in front of Mikel and Etebo. Midfield possession was good as we had two very intelligent footballers running things in the middle, Iwobi was however careless with the ball and gave away possession a couple of times.
Onuachu was a bit disappointing to me, he was always crowded by defenders and did not really do much! Despite his height I did not remember him getting one single header. We really need strikers that can find space and run behind defenders, so that our midfielders can have more options.
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

gochino wrote:
Paveman wrote:Can anyone who has seen the game yesterday provide a short analysis? Also, how was the line-up, 4-2-3-1?

Akpeyi was not tested but his ball distribution was miles above Uzoho´s distribution. Also I noticed that when Akpeyi or Ezinwa is in goal, the defense seems a lot more organised. It could be a phsycological thing due to Uzohos age and experience, maybe the defenders are more relaxed when they know that they dont have a 19 year old in goal with little experience.
Iwobi played as the number ten in front of Mikel and Etebo. Midfield possession was good as we had two very intelligent footballers running things in the middle, Iwobi was however careless with the ball and gave away possession a couple of times.
Onuachu was a bit disappointing to me, he was always crowded by defenders and did not really do much! Despite his height I did not remember him getting one single header. We really need strikers that can find space and run behind defenders, so that our midfielders can have more options.
Thank you very much gochino!
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

You should put a question mark on the thread title, here I was thinking you were going to give a breakdown of the teams performance.
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

ANC wrote:You should put a question mark on the thread title, here I was thinking you were going to give a breakdown of the teams performance.
You are right :)
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

gochino wrote:Akpeyi was not tested but his ball distribution was miles above Uzoho´s distribution. Also I noticed that when Akpeyi or Ezinwa is in goal, the defense seems a lot more organised. It could be a phsycological thing due to Uzohos age and experience, maybe the defenders are more relaxed when they know that they dont have a 19 year old in goal with little experience.
You must be talking about a different Akpeyi... :lol:

Dude was not really tested yesterday and did okay...
But usually he’s arguably the ‘jitterest’ GK ever in the SE.
>
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg
Re: Analysis of yesterday's game??

Post by nzeogwu »

Goalkeeping:
Akpeyi or Ezenwa, if fit must start. At the moment, Akpeyi is in solid form. This is not based on yesterdays match as he was not tested. Watch the Chiefs highlights He is most experienced with a variety of African players and not exactly short.

Defense:
Emeruo/Balogun should start in the middle. Roost is not fit and is recovering. Aina was ok at right back and had a great understanding with both Mikel at DM and also Omeruo. Perhaps due to their Chelsea affiliation.
Jamilu was good especially since he received minimal support from Kalu and Musa.

Holding MF:
Mikel was a good deep lying midfielder and played well. His sliding tackle at the left back spot in the dying minutes showed his class and commitment. Etebo worked hard excluding the needless foul. When Ndidi returns, him and Mikel are the starters at the holding position.

Wing forwards/Wingers:
Nigeria has depth at wide forward and wingers. Considering that Simon did not play, Onyekuru, Kalu, Chukwueze and Musa were all in form and will terrorize any defense. This makes the center not so vital anymore. That being said, Iwobi in front of Mikel was a good idea. Despite Iwobi's occasional turnovers. The recovery in midfield and defense supported by the team concept was excellent.

Strikers:
Without sentiment, Onwuachu did not take advantage of the opportunity but Nacho is definitely not it. Osimhen tried but the conditions were not favorable. However, he was busy. I believe that he is the heir to Ighalo and will be a king in his own right.

Next steps:
Semi, Abdullahi and Nacho deserve to be dropped. Simon should not. If we do play a 3/5/2, Simon is a solid left wing back with a high motor and so is Jamilu. On the right, Aina and kale are equally solid. This will allow Omeruo, Ekong and Balogun to play at the back, Ndidi and Mikel to hold and Iwobi to play. That leaves us with Musa and Ighalo up top.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Gotti wrote:
gochino wrote:Akpeyi was not tested but his ball distribution was miles above Uzoho´s distribution. Also I noticed that when Akpeyi or Ezinwa is in goal, the defense seems a lot more organised. It could be a phsycological thing due to Uzohos age and experience, maybe the defenders are more relaxed when they know that they dont have a 19 year old in goal with little experience.

>
I will play a "backman" in goal over Akpeyi.

And he still has issues with understanding the nuances of the game. There was a point where there was a clash instead of putting the ball out farside on the opponent side, he held on to the ball. Some referees could call a delay of game... he shouldn't take those kinds of chances. Kick the ball out first deep then seek attention for your teammates.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Cellular wrote:
Gotti wrote:

>

And he still has issues with understanding the nuances of the game. There was a point where there was a clash instead of putting the ball out farside on the opponent side, he held on to the ball. Some referees could call a delay of game... he shouldn't take those kinds of chances. Kick the ball out first deep then seek attention for your teammates.

Akpeyi in goal for Nigeria is equivalent to Boubacar Barry being in goal for Ivory Coast for all those years sabotaging their Nation's Cup ambitions.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

mystic wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Gotti wrote:

>

Akpeyi in goal for Nigeria is equivalent to Boubacar Barry being in goal for Ivory Coast for all those years sabotaging their Nation's Cup ambitions.
You just knew it was just a matter of time before he does what it is in his nature to do.

Gawdawful goalie.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...no trumpeted win about the Nigeria v Zim match. did we lose?
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

mcal wrote:...no trumpeted win about the Nigeria v Zim match. did we lose?

Zimbabwe scored the first zero, then we equalized.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

gochino wrote:

The SE failed to utilize Onuachu. THe wingers were not whipping in crosses rather, they attacked. With that rainy condition, putting the ball in the air for Onuachu would have been the best route to goal.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Akpeyi in goal again just because Nigerians are not willing to follow due process on uzoho
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Gotti wrote:

>
Uncle, have you noticed a serious upsurge in positive news regarding Akpeyi? :D
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

mystic wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Gotti wrote:

>

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Last edited by danfo driver on Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Cellular wrote:
mystic wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Gotti wrote:

>

You just knew it was just a matter of time before he does what it is in his nature to do.

Gawdawful goalie.
Gotta give Akpeyi and his people respect sha! they pulled it off!!! in the west, dem call am PR, in the East, dem call am motivation, in the equator, we call am egunje! :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

danfo driver wrote:
Cellular wrote:
mystic wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Gotti wrote:

>

Gawdawful goalie.
Gotta give Akpeyi and his people respect sha! they pulled it off!!! in the west, dem call am PR, in the East, dem call am motivation, in the equator, we call am egunje! :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:D
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

After Nigeria crash out of the nations cup featuring Ighalo and Akpeyi &!once Rohr is fired it should signal end of the two waste-pipes international football career and I can’t wait to say good riddance.
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Back to the analysis of yesterdays game. I just saw the video. I am worried we did not look like scoring.

Don't be surprised if Nigeria crashes out early in AFCON.

We just huff and puff. This reminded me of the U-20 with a little more ball sense.

The conditions and pitch may have contributed to the performance.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Robotnik wrote:Back to the analysis of yesterdays game. I just saw the video. I am worried we did not look like scoring.

We just huff and puff. This reminded me of the U-20 with a little more ball sense.

What if there is a condition like against Zambia
at the knockout stage? Will the opponents not be playing under similar contition?
The SE should be ready to play in all conditions.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Robotnik wrote:Back to the analysis of yesterdays game. I just saw the video. I am worried we did not look like scoring.

"Don't be surprised.."
Chai, I hate that statement, no vex.
It says nothing at all because it applies to everything. You're simply covering all angles. It sounds like you're suggesting they'll crash out early but for whatever reason are not quite saying it.

"Don't be surprised they crash out early (but don't be surprised they don't)."
"Don't be surprised Rohr gets sacked after AFCON (but don't be surprised he doesn't)."

Maybe if you tell us what we SHOULD be surprised about we'll better understand your position. :D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "