Two players Rohr will drop from AFCON 2019 revealed

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Two players Rohr will drop from AFCON 2019 revealed

Post by Eaglezbeak »

osita wrote:
ANC wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:Build his confidence at the expense of others who are in a rich vein of form, on the eve of the greatest tournament of the continent?
That sure makes a lot is sense, doesn’t it?
ANC wrote:
john12 wrote:Kelechi must had really offended rohr with his unprofessional attitude. Hopefully, he learns from it

Perhaps, because his exclusion (but inclusion of Moses/Kalu) makes no sense. If he is lacking in confidence, help build it back up don't just discard him.

Dude a low in confidence Kelechi is miles ahead of Moses
Are you saying this based on facts or you are just not using your number 7? How does someone think that ighalo & Iheanacho is more consistent than Moses in Spain ? Moses is a quality player and this team’s bench is the best I have see in almost 10 years.

This Moses u are underestimating will make u eat a humble pie. The boy is good and Iheanacho currently has being on instegram showing off rather than facing his career.

This dropping will make him a better player in future.
Let Kelechi advertise his Balenciaga’s on IG whilst the guys that are interested in football do their job on the pitch it’s time for Nigeria to do things properly,the Nigerian Football Team shouldn’t be a place for players to resurrect their stalling careers despite ample opportunities.
Kelechi was a great youth player and showed potential amongst the quality of Manchester City but why should he embarrass himself further?
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Won ti dropu kelechi! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Mo gbe o :shock:
OCCUPY NFF!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
ANC wrote::? Don't shoot me o. Just a messenger :biggrin:

https://dailypost.ng/2019/06/08/nigeria ... -revealed/
Two Super Eagles players Rohr will drop from AFCON 2019

Head coach of the Super Eagles, Gernot Rohr, has drop two players from his squad for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations by Sunday.

The names will be revealed before the team flies out of the country to Ismaila, Egypt, where they will continue preparations for the tournament.

Insiders told DAILY POST that Leicester City forward, Kelechi Iheanacho and Semi Ajayi, who spent last season at Rotterham, are likely to be cut loose.

Both players did not feature on Saturday, as Nigeria were held to a 0-0 draw by Zimbabwe in an international friendly played in Asaba, the Delta state capital.

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has given all the 24 countries that will participate in AFCON 2019 a deadline of Monday, June 10, to submit their final 23-man squads.

Rohr called up 25 players for camping.

Download Daily Post App. Subscribe to Daily Post Newsletter. Advertise with us. Send us enquiries, press releases.
I am existentially opposed to Rohr being the coach of Nigeria because he’s unfit, in my humble opinion. Everyone has heard me say that a million times but the fact of the matter is that Rohr is only 25% of the problem. The other 75% is the national press and the fans. These two groups are collectively calling for Iheanacho to be dropped but are quite happy to keep Leon Balogun and his grand total of 6 appearances for one of the worst teams in the EPL on the team. If Rohr does drop Nacho, he would only be doing what’s expected of a mediocre coach; catering to the whims of agents disguised as fans and the press. If these guys were made to stay away from Nigerian football, we’d all be better the for it :!:

Cheers.
Are you too daft to realize you are comparing apples to oranges.

We have many options in attack.

We dont have the same in defence.

Are you so clueless to not see this.

More over Balogun has always played well for SE, while Nacho has been horrible since after the Argentina friendly. He has continuously failed in a SE shirt ever since.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

ANC wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:Build his confidence at the expense of others who are in a rich vein of form, on the eve of the greatest tournament of the continent?
ANC wrote:
john12 wrote:Kelechi must had really offended rohr with his unprofessional attitude. Hopefully, he learns from it

Perhaps, because his exclusion (but inclusion of Moses/Kalu) makes no sense. If he is lacking in confidence, help build it back up don't just discard him.

why are you comparing players who play completely different positions ?

Are you okay ?
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

mystic wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:
ANC wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:
Enyi wrote:From what we saw yesterday... there are too many wing forwards and not a lot of promising strikers. Form is temporary.....but class...

Kelechi has class, can’t say the same of Onuachu and Oshimen is very inexperienced. Put that in with the fact that Ighalo goes missing in big tournaments....Rohr will be digging his own grave slowly if he drops Iheanacho.

If they were banging in goals yesterday then he may justify it but the strikers were practically useless. That’s the problem with the u20, the falcons and Rohr is about to make it the problem of the SE.

Not that Kelechi will bang him goals but at least you have that option.

Why take...Musa, Onyekuru, Samu, Kalu, Iwobi, Moses? You can only play 2 at once then the likes of Musa can play upfront, Iwobi AM.... what exactly is Moses going to do? He didn’t feature for Levante that much and he won’t bench Collins no matter the formation you play...Aina can also move across

Taking, Ighalo, Onuachu, Oshimen and Kelechi is not too much. Only Kelechi brings variety to that position if you decide to play 2 upfront. Others are more powerful strikers but can’t see a pass like Kelechi on his day....Oshimen brings youth, Ighalo experience -I guess-.

I don't understand your thought process. Nacho has had a horrible 2seasons. He had played majority of his career in the last 3yrs on bench. Apart from early stages of the world cup qualifiers, what other competitive game has hebscored.? And even in the game he scored, he was just okay.

The big tournament last year, WC, Kele played 2 games and he stunk up the bloody joint. He's not added NADA to the afcon qualifiers. He's not reckoned with in Leicester. His famed left leg has refused to function for 2yrs now.

And besides, how many misfits can we have in the team. Bench warming Balogun, China based ighalo, 3mmonth fit Mikel, Saudi based Musa. So rohr should now add totally off form,off confidence aand bench warming kelechi to the team that even has 3 more misfits in the goalkeeping dept.

Simple, he does not like Kelechi, because everything u have listed about him could be said of Ighalo and Balogun to some extent.

Who should Rohr drop for Kelechi

Ighalo (China) - 7 goals in 9 games (season just started) and 21goals in 28games in just concluded season
Osimhen (Belgium) - 27 games/ 19goals
Onuachu - 30games/ 19goals
Kelechi - 34 games/ 2 goals

You are arguing with facts against sentiments. If Rohr truly disliked Kelechi, he wouldn't have been in the 25 in the first place.
Kpom!
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

bushboy wrote:Anyone who thinks Ighalo has not earned his spot as the starting striker on this team is either delusional or hasn't watched the SE play in the last 2 years.
Kpom! I was an ighalo basher before and after the WC but he has served me the humble pie (in African football) after the WC and I've eaten it well.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

My only problem with this squad is that we are missing 1 midfielder.

We could honestly have done with one less attacker and an added midfielder.

If Mikel, Etebo, or Nididi gets injured ?

Azuibikwe should be in this squad.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

vancity eagle wrote:My only problem with this squad is that we are missing 1 midfielder.

I personally would've taken Kelechi Nwakali, and yes I know he hasn't played much of late...but still.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

mystic wrote:You are arguing with facts against sentiments. If Rohr truly disliked Kelechi, he wouldn't have been in the 25 in the first place.
The sentiment is understandable as Kelechi has been one of our most promising prospects since U17. Fans would have been up in arms if he wasn't invited so Rohr did the right thing but clearly he has been falling down the ranks even before the 2018 World Cup. Another bright prospect being chewed up by the displacement to Europe unfortunately. Hope he bounces back.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

theYemster wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:My only problem with this squad is that we are missing 1 midfielder.

I personally would've taken Kelechi Nwakali, and yes I know he hasn't played much of late...but still.
Would have taken Azubuike over Kelechi, though I agree Nwakali inspire of his bad run of club form would have been useful to the team...Iwobi tends to underwhelm in that AM role more often than not, and some sort of option would have come in handy seeing that we are thin on creativity in that midfield. Hopefully it all works out well, maybe Mikel can step up with his intelligence and experience , and be that deep playing playmaker for us.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

I feel bad for Kelechi, the boy would been feeling so knackered that he won't get to experience his first AFCON experience ever... but he's still young, and should take the summer off to cool off his mind and body ...and plan his career ahead. I know he will bounce back.
ogiso
Egg
Egg

Post by ogiso »

This squad does not excite me, but this is all we’ve got. There’s not many other players that scream out “Select me!”. Pretty average. History tells me though that we sometimes do well with average squads eg 1984, 2013.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

theYemster wrote:

There is nothing stopping you from personally taking him to the ANC.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

9jaMan wrote:Moses Simon and Shehu are not good enough to play in SE, favoritism is the Nigerian way. Simon is pinnick’s boy and almost went to the WC injured. Sucks that Kele has to be cut for this fraud junk player Simon Moses.
The fraud junk player performed much better than Kelechi throughout the qualifiers. FACT!
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Ikwerreman is reporting they have been dropped.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

vancity eagle wrote:
ANC wrote:
ANC wrote:

why are you comparing players who play completely different positions ?

Are you okay ?

Lol, what position does Moses play exactly and how many people on the current list already play in that position? He is a waste of space.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Lolly wrote:
9jaMan wrote:Moses Simon and Shehu are not good enough to play in SE, favoritism is the Nigerian way. Simon is pinnick’s boy and almost went to the WC injured. Sucks that Kele has to be cut for this fraud junk player Simon Moses.
The fraud junk player performed much better than Kelechi throughout the qualifiers. FACT!
Why people enjoy disparaging Moses Simon beats me. As far as I am concerned, he is one of the most consistent players in the SE when healthy. He will be on any team I select.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

I feel bad for Kelechi, but now is a turning point for him in his career.
If he wants to fight his way back into contention, he knows what to do.

Football is a profession, a career. He needs to invest in it with hard work and dedication, and he can no longer rely on his natural talent to open the way for him.

Its up to him now. I wish him good luck.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

It is a good list. I suspect Shehu can play midfield if necessary. Kelechi was done a favor by being invited in the first place. I suspect Rohr wanted to see him up close and deal with this F2F if he continued to underperform. This is how I would approach the situation Kelechi finds himself in. He has lost something in his game and needs to rediscover it but not during a tournament
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Simon and kalu both can play as backup RB, Shehu brings absolutely nothing to the national team either in Africa or the world stage. I would have dropped Shehu for Iheanacho. I simply dont see enough goals from Ighalo or Onuachu to win a championship. Iheanacho is a change of pace guy that can spring magic if you need when you least expect it. I just love the chill and youthful exuberance with which Iheanacho plays the game, he will be missed. Old man Mikel should go and retire as well, anytime he plays it means a low scoring (or no scoring) and slow game.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

oscar52 wrote:Simon and kalu both can play as backup RB, Shehu brings absolutely nothing to the national team either in Africa or the world stage. I would have dropped Shehu for Iheanacho. I simply dont see enough goals from Ighalo or Onuachu to win a championship. Iheanacho is a change of pace guy that can spring magic if you need when you least expect it. I just love the chill and youthful exuberance with which Iheanacho plays the game, he will be missed. Old man Mikel should go and retire as well, anytime he plays it means a low scoring (or no scoring) and slow game.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
chuks69
Egg
Egg

Post by chuks69 »

Kelechi Ihenacho lost his spot to Victor Osimhem...But Kelechi is left footed and Victor is Right footed. another candidate was Moses Simon, who also adapted to being a second Left back.. Hopefully kelechi Iheanacho would learn from this and bounce back stronger..
afc##
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

mystic wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:
ahidjo2 wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:
Enyi wrote:From what we saw yesterday... there are too many wing forwards and not a lot of promising strikers. Form is temporary.....but class...

Kelechi has class, can’t say the same of Onuachu and Oshimen is very inexperienced. Put that in with the fact that Ighalo goes missing in big tournaments....Rohr will be digging his own grave slowly if he drops Iheanacho.

If they were banging in goals yesterday then he may justify it but the strikers were practically useless. That’s the problem with the u20, the falcons and Rohr is about to make it the problem of the SE.

Not that Kelechi will bang him goals but at least you have that option.

Why take...Musa, Onyekuru, Samu, Kalu, Iwobi, Moses? You can only play 2 at once then the likes of Musa can play upfront, Iwobi AM.... what exactly is Moses going to do? He didn’t feature for Levante that much and he won’t bench Collins no matter the formation you play...Aina can also move across

Taking, Ighalo, Onuachu, Oshimen and Kelechi is not too much. Only Kelechi brings variety to that position if you decide to play 2 upfront. Others are more powerful strikers but can’t see a pass like Kelechi on his day....Oshimen brings youth, Ighalo experience -I guess-.

I don't understand your thought process. Nacho has had a horrible 2seasons. He had played majority of his career in the last 3yrs on bench. Apart from early stages of the world cup qualifiers, what other competitive game has hebscored.? And even in the game he scored, he was just okay.

The big tournament last year, WC, Kele played 2 games and he stunk up the bloody joint. He's not added NADA to the afcon qualifiers. He's not reckoned with in Leicester. His famed left leg has refused to function for 2yrs now.

And besides, how many misfits can we have in the team. Bench warming Balogun, China based ighalo, 3mmonth fit Mikel, Saudi based Musa. So rohr should now add totally off form,off confidence aand bench warming kelechi to the team that even has 3 more misfits in the goalkeeping dept.
Balogun a misfit? We really need to start paying attention to some aspects of the game. Let me say this, without Balogun at the heart of our defense, it will be difficult for us to make the needed progress. He is the most technical defender in the team. His tackles, aerial abilities, reading of the game..., makes him the most needed defender for Afcon. He has always been outstanding playing that defense for Nigeria and I don't understand why his club status has anything to do with his performance with the SE. He will most likely be signing for a bigger club after Afcon.

Maybe i shouldnt have used the word misfit. Prolly, not fully fit or not in optimum condition. Balogun has only played 3 games this season hence his form and fitness would be pretty low. He bossed yesterday but again, it is what it is. With exprience tho, i guess he would be able to cover for his lack of game time.

The point is that he has done the job when called upon for the National team despite his club situation. We're not talking about how he just had a good game yesterday. He's been good through the qualifying campaign and the friendlies. In addition, despite limited playing time he's been good when he's played for his clubside.

That being said, I understand the general point that you are making.
Baloogun has always had nothing less than 70% performance when he plays for NIgeria. BUt i hope Rohr and the crew can grill him to 100% fitness bcos like Mikel and Rohr said, AFCON is all about fitness.