Two players Rohr will drop from AFCON 2019 revealed

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg
Re: Two players Rohr will drop from AFCON 2019 revealed

Post by chief nfachairman »

oscar52 wrote:Simon and kalu both can play as backup RB, Shehu brings absolutely nothing to the national team either in Africa or the world stage. I would have dropped Shehu for Iheanacho. I simply dont see enough goals from Ighalo or Onuachu to win a championship. Iheanacho is a change of pace guy that can spring magic if you need when you least expect it. I just love the chill and youthful exuberance with which Iheanacho plays the game, he will be missed. Old man Mikel should go and retire as well, anytime he plays it means a low scoring (or no scoring) and slow game.
Simon and Kalu dont play back up RB. They play as wing backs. THese are 2 different positions. Like ROrhr said, Simon fits in perfectl as a LWB when he deploys the 3-5-2 formation Same position his played for Levante alot this season.

With this, if Rohr decides to play 4-3-3, he would be short of a RB if Shehu is dropped. Besides, Shehu is very physical and suits the African game and Tourneys.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

oscar52 wrote:Simon and kalu both can play as backup RB, Shehu brings absolutely nothing to the national team either in Africa or the world stage. I would have dropped Shehu for Iheanacho. I simply dont see enough goals from Ighalo or Onuachu to win a championship. Iheanacho is a change of pace guy that can spring magic if you need when you least expect it. I just love the chill and youthful exuberance with which Iheanacho plays the game, he will be missed. Old man Mikel should go and retire as well, anytime he plays it means a low scoring (or no scoring) and slow game.
Which game exactly? The one against Argentina or the Iceland in the WC? Or is it the ones he played for leicester this season? or which game exactly.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

The writing was on the wall even before the axe fell. Nacho has been struggling all season. Rohr had a look at him close up and saw enough to confirm whatever preconceived thoughts he had. As fans we are just being sentimental. If Nacho went to Egypt and stunk up the joint, everyone will blame Rohr, pointing to his poor form going into the tournament.

Kele needs to work on his game and get his mojo back. He has preseason to sort that out, not the grand stage of African football, up against the continents finest.
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Iheanacho was one of the most overrated failure of a player since Pius Ikedia.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: Agent
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

ogiso wrote:This squad does not excite me, but this is all we’ve got. There’s not many other players that scream out “Select me!”. Pretty average. History tells me though that we sometimes do well with average squads eg 1984, 2013.

What are you talking about ?

This is one of the best squads we have had in a very long time.

I will say since perhaps 2000, maybe even before.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

chief nfachairman wrote:
Which game exactly? The one against Argentina or the Iceland in the WC? Or is it the ones he played for leicester this season? or which game exactly.
On PlayStation :woot:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Nacho is not only a victim of his poor form, but the fact that Nigeria just has so many attacking options right now. Because of this you cannot get by on sentiments or past form and I am loving this. Onuachu grabbed his opportunity and has been scoring all season long for his club. He also offers a different option in attack with the aerial threat. Oshimen must have also impressed Rohr, and remember that Oshimen is also partly responsible for pushing Isaac Success out of the picture. For all the haters Ighalo has bounced back for SE post WC and has scored so many goals that he cannot be ignored. He is also the most skillfull of all our forwards and I know under Rohr he will be a lock to start, and he merits that start. The fact is that we just have so many options right now. We have plenty of wingers (many who can also play striker like Musa and Onyekuru) Iheanacho would have made the squad even with his poor club form if this was even 1 year ago. But this is a different time with so many emerging talents. It is only good for SE. Now we just need more options in midfield and defence, as well as goalie.
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

While it is most refreshing that we all share different perspectives on the Iheanacho saga, what is more saddening is that while it is perfectly okay to feel bad for Kelechi, we have people on this forum that accuse others of having a colonial mentality when objective critics put down a young man like Nacho. A year ago, some on this forum accused several people, myself included (No big deal) of being an uncle Tom with a colonial mentality for disparaging Nacho. Some went as far as to say, only oyinbo and South American strikers are given the opportunity to succeed by getting much needed playing time and that Nacho was a victim of his Africaness and unfairly treated as far as playing time is concerned.

I guess a young Drogba, Kanu, Gyan, and Essien were not Africans in their prime. People need to call a spade by it's given name, a spade. You cannot continuously be successful in life without hard work when giving the opportunity. If the opportunity is not there, move to a greener pasture. Spain, Holland, Belgium etc. Hardy works hard. English or not. he does not have half the skill that Nacho has but statistically, his performance is 700% better. If you care about Nacho, help him get better. Let him go and work and be the best Nacho that he can be. This will improve his confidence and make him sought after at all times. Let's not blame the white man or anyone else for his misfortune.

What I truly like about the non inclusion of Nacho is that this is a powerful message to several other big boys. Play regularly and perfect your game or stay away from the Nations Cup. At the risk of sounding hypocritical, until someone/Something better comes along, an irreplaceable player is an irreplaceable player, for now. If Leon is not playing, I am fine with that if he is in football shape. When Omeruo, Tomori or Olowu steps up, fine! Let them displace him.

Please stop rewarding sentiment, history, names, status, past glory or nostalgia. The year is 2019 and the month is June. Let"s put our best TEAM on the floor. May the cream rise to the top.