2018 World Cup Squad vs 2019 AFCON Squad

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Adisboy
Egg
Egg
Re: 2018 World Cup Squad vs 2019 AFCON Squad

Post by Adisboy »

vancity eagle wrote:
nzeogwu wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:we are thin in midfield right now.

If Onazi ever gets back to fitness he still has something to offer this team as a bench option.

We need to stop this habit of discarding players when nobody has stepped up to replace them.

I've even seen people imply we dont need Mikel, when in his first game back after a year, he was easily our best player.

For me, Mikel should be on the road to Qatar if he wishes to continue. You cannot just replace that kind of experience and talent.

Look at Ronaldo still playing for Portugal at 34. European teams dont discard their players simply because of age. I dont know why we love to do this.
Most Europeans at 34 are 34.

Is Mikel 31 or not ?

however old he is , he is still OUR BEST PLAYER.

I personally think he still has one more world cup to offer, even if on the bench. I hope he has the motivation to take this team to Qatar. SE will only benefit.

Do you really think we will have better midfielders than Mikel on the bench in Qatar. I highly doubt it.
Mikel is actually 32 for real. This was proven more than a decade ago when his primary school records were revealed.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Enyi wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:When is Rohr going to address the goal keeping position???
When Nigeria gives birth to a better goalkeeper
Anybody is better than Akpeyi. The fact that Rohr continues to select Akpeyi shows Rohr is poor judge at spotting talent and the talentless and his scouts haven’t helped.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Flex Swift wrote:
Enyi wrote:
Anybody is better than Akpeyi. The fact that Rohr continues to select Akpeyi shows Rohr is poor judge at spotting talent and the talentless and his scouts haven’t helped.
I disagree with the highlighted. While the three goalkeepers are poor compared to goalkeepers that we have previously used, Akpeyi is at par with Uzoho in my opinion. Akpeyi has been battered by the media and fans for mistakes that may not be worse than those already made by Uzoho. You may argue that Uzoho is younger and taller but he is not by any means significantly better than Akpeyi or Ezenwa, at this moment. I do realize that Uzoho is likely to be the starter at AFCON but that is no reason to claim that any body is better than Akpeyi who has been getting games at his clubs in South Africa apparently ahead of other goalkeepers.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Enugu II wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:
Enyi wrote:
I disagree with the highlighted. While the three goalkeepers are poor compared to goalkeepers that we have previously used, Akpeyi is at par with Uzoho in my opinion. Akpeyi has been battered by the media and fans for mistakes that may not be worse than those already made by Uzoho. You may argue that Uzoho is younger and taller but he is not by any means significantly better than Akpeyi or Ezenwa, at this moment. I do realize that Uzoho is likely to be the starter at AFCON but that is no reason to claim that any body is better than Akpeyi who has been getting games at his clubs in South Africa apparently ahead of other goalkeepers.

Even that fat dude that played under the late Stephen Keshi is better than Akpeyi. A Goal keeper that let in a shot taken from the half way line during the Soweto Derby. I just hope we don’t get laughed out of the tournament after Akpeyi let’s in comical goals.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Flex Swift wrote:
Enyi wrote:
Akpeyi is bad but so is everyone else....I remember scouting Lokosa once in the NPFL and the keeper was bad. The funny thing was the coach was telling us how great the keeper was before the game.
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Enyi wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:
Enyi wrote:
Akpeyi is bad but so is everyone else....I remember scouting Lokosa once in the NPFL and the keeper was bad. The funny thing was the coach was telling us how great the keeper was before the game.
Did that goalkeeper let in a shot taken from the half way line? So did that goalkeeper pickup the ball outside his 18 yard line? If the answer is no he is better than Akpeyi period
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

vancity eagle wrote:we are thin in midfield right now.

If Onazi ever gets back to fitness he still has something to offer this team as a bench option.

We need to stop this habit of discarding players when nobody has stepped up to replace them.

I've even seen people imply we dont need Mikel, when in his first game back after a year, he was easily our best player.

For me, Mikel should be on the road to Qatar if he wishes to continue. You cannot just replace that kind of experience and talent.

Look at Ronaldo still playing for Portugal at 34. European teams dont discard their players simply because of age. I dont know why we love to do this.

Onazi was in great form prior to his injury (he was in the Turkish team of the season at the midway point) and would likely have made the final 23. All the same, he will have a royal fight on his hands trying to maintain his spot when he returns. Between now and the 2021 Cup of Nations, I expect the competition to improve in terms of our midfield options.
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

The plantainians have about 4 world class goalies. You guys can borrow one from them.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

bamenda boy wrote:The plantainians have about 4 world class goalies. You guys can borrow one from them.
O na na na, we good. We will work with our useless guys hopefully the opponents don't shoot at them or cross into our box (fingers crossed) lol.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

maceo4 wrote:
bamenda boy wrote:The plantainians have about 4 world class goalies. You guys can borrow one from them.
O na na na, we good. We will work with our useless guys hopefully the opponents don't shoot at them or cross into our box (fingers crossed) lol.

:lol:
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

ANC wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

:lol:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Azubuike
Shehu Abdullahi

On current form are better than Onazi on current form. In 2014, Onazi was world class.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

nzeogwu wrote:Azubuike
Shehu Abdullahi

On current form are better than Onazi on current form. In 2014, Onazi was world class.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, now I think I understand what Nigerian mean when they say world class! It is now very clear to me! When Nigerians say world class, they are simply trying to say that the player did very well that day (or during that period) and they were very happy with the person’s performance!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?