South Korea v Nigeria 0-2 FT

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: South Korea v Nigeria 0-2 FT

Post by balo »

[/video]
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: South Korea v Nigeria 0- 1

Post by green4life »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
Stop arguing against yourself. You said in your previous post that the evidence was inconclusive. Now you’re saying that the ref favored us, which suggests that the ref did not make the right call. Make up your mind already :!:

Cheers.
English comprehension helps. The point of my initial post is the call was the right call if you understand how VAR rules work. We got the right call from the ref yet you are still complaining and finding a reason to feel sorry for yourself. :!:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

[/video]

if this girl born for me, kai my kids go be serious Athletes, man go rich for life :shyluv: :clap: :clap:
Last edited by Bigpokey24 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

green4life wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
Synopsis wrote:
Ekorian wrote:Glad to see Naijas applauding the VAR even though the goal shouldn't have counted.
Please don't come back and shout racism when we found ourselves at the receiving end of a bad call.
Korea is a mickey mouse team. If it were France, England, USA the goal would be disallowed.
I do not doubt that in the least :!:

Cheers.
You guys are funny as heck. There wasn't conclusive evidence to show that she touched the ball and intent to touch the ball doesn't equate actual handling of the ball.
KPOM
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

I believe the Falcons are really talented in the context of women football but we should consider that this is a team that really is not at a point it should be in preparing for the Women's World Cup. This team could be further along, based on the talent of the players, if they had prepared a bit longer and played several high level matches.

There is abundance of fast players upfront. In fact, all there of the most advanced players (Ordega, Oparanozie, and Oshoala) are very fast and very few women teams have that type of combination upfront. The midfield, however, is not up to scratch particularly in ability to keep possession and the range of space covered by the players. When your successful completion of passes is only 66%, then there is a problem. Somewhat I believe the problem is not the technical ability of the players but the time to work together. Defensively, there are huge questions with issues of indecision particularly in the partnership. in the middle. I love the LB but she lacked appropriate support from Chikwelu on the left which left gaps wide. IMHO, Ebere (LB) was expected to play compact to close gaps in the middle which she did but the support from the midfield to cut out the wide area on the right was largely missing or the defense just failed to shift to the strong areas when the ball shifted to the right. That is just my sense of the game today.

I feel the coach has impacted the play of the Falcons. We can argue on whether the impact is positive or negative but it is obvious that the team's play has changed CLEARLY. For one, the team is bent on keeping its formation shape. This is quite obvious. In the past this was not always the case. What is missing in my opinion is the lack of sufficient pressure on the ball from the advanced players which allowed Korea to amply and leisurely possess the ball. Further, sticking to the shape should not prevent shifting to the strong side of the ball to prevent many crosses. Yet, this was allowed because the shifting was absent in many cases. Further, the defensive positioning at cornerbacks appear elementary inside the box but may have been introduced because the players often lack attention to 1 v1 defending in their areas which you easily notice during crosses. Thus, the coach may have introduced he packed zone inside the box to close down spaces and to neuter the opportunities that exist when the defensive team is unable to mark closely.

The above are just my thoughts.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

oscar52 wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
oscar52 wrote:
waka-man wrote:
oscar52 wrote:They were lucky today. A more potent team would have wacked them like 5-0. I will even say they were worse than the first game but the difference this time is the excellent goalkeeper. Ordega is still mostly playing like an "headless chicken", Oshoala does the simple wrong and the complex right (which one is the real Oshoala?), Opanozie is not fit along with Chikwelu. Ayinde brought some pace into the midfield when she replaced Uchendu but overall this team is full of expired legs and lacks talent need at this level. Only Oshoala, the keeper, and maybe Ebi and Oparanozie are close to world class. If they played the USA today, it would have been nothing less than 6 - 0. There biggest problem is the midfield, Chikwelu does not have the legs and there is a gaping hole there. If the opponent goes right through your midfield everytime it will be a long day at the office. Also why isn't the team using basic triangle passing like the Koreans? Everything seems vertical, horizontal, or diagonal? Anyway this coach never earn his paycheck, he seems to just have taught them to foul less and put their hands behind their back in the 18 but seems no actual technical football improvement.

Not sure what you point is. The stuff about world class makes no sense, unless you think world class means good enough to play at the World Cup.

Maybe if you used paragraphs you’d be easier to understand.
Worldclass as in can go toe to toe with the best players in the world.

Ageb stop spamming us with ignorance. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Contribute your point or move on. Half our ladies can't do the basic right and you think they will compete well against Germany or USA. France will show you what am talking about in a few days. Instead of contributing something meaning, it coconut head only knows insults.
It’s just that you don’t bring any coherence to your arguments. You just throw words out, no offence. Is it expired legs, or lack of world class-ness, or lack of intelligence, or Oshoala doing the complex and not the simple. It’s a shopping list of irrationally lobbed out points.

I think they played very intelligent football. The full backs were excellent and the late subs for Oshoala and Ordega show our depth. Rita Chukwuelu and the rest of the midfield were solid. And that’s the most organised I’ve ever seen a falcons team.

Are we gonna win it? Come on, of course not. But today was a good display against a much higher ranked team and we should show some appreciation.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Enugu II wrote:I believe the Falcons are really talented in the context of women football but we should consider that this is a team that really is not at a point it should be in preparing for the Women's World Cup. This team could be further along, based on the talent of the players, if they had prepared a bit longer and played several high level matches.

There is abundance of fast players upfront. In fact, all there of the most advanced players (Ordega, Oparanozie, and Oshoala) are very fast and very few women teams have that type of combination upfront. The midfield, however, is not up to scratch particularly in ability to keep possession and the range of space covered by the players. When your successful completion of passes is only 66%, then there is a problem. Somewhat I believe the problem is not the technical ability of the players but the time to work together. Defensively, there are huge questions with issues of indecision particularly in the partnership. in the middle. I love the LB but she lacked appropriate support from Chikwelu on the left which left gaps wide. IMHO, Ebere (LB) was expected to play compact to close gaps in the middle which she did but the support from the midfield to cut out the wide area on the right was largely missing or the defense just failed to shift to the strong areas when the ball shifted to the right. That is just my sense of the game today.

I feel the coach has impacted the play of the Falcons. We can argue on whether the impact is positive or negative but it is obvious that the team's play has changed CLEARLY. For one, the team is bent on keeping its formation shape. This is quite obvious. In the past this was not always the case. What is missing in my opinion is the lack of sufficient pressure on the ball from the advanced players which allowed Korea to amply and leisurely possess the ball. Further, sticking to the shape should not prevent shifting to the strong side of the ball to prevent many crosses. Yet, this was allowed because the shifting was absent in many cases. Further, the defensive positioning at cornerbacks appear elementary inside the box but may have been introduced because the players often lack attention to 1 v1 defending in their areas which you easily notice during crosses. Thus, the coach may have introduced he packed zone inside the box to close down spaces and to neuter the opportunities that exist when the defensive team is unable to mark closely.

Not so.
In the past WWC draws, the Falcons used to be the worst team in the group implying each game shows their same deficiencies.
This 2019 the Falcons are not the worst draw team in the group, implying they will play the worst team and those deficiencies will be somewhat masked.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

balo wrote:[/video]

LOL. what a goalkeeper. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

She is actually a really good commentator. She sounds like she does her research and gives a very good perspective being an ex player. Better than most of the male commentators on Fox or Nigerian TV neither of which are a very high bar.
Oguleftie wrote:
olu wrote:The Fox female commentator who is an ex-US women's international kept saying Nigeria's ball possession has improved since Dennebry took over, but that we aren't making use of our pace and athleticism as much which is our strength. For those who have been following the Falcons extensively has this team improved in any way since Dennebry took charge?
Why are you listening to "a Fox female commentator who is an ex-US"?
What makes you think commentators know much about the team they are commenting on; they do not.
Last edited by olu on Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Well done to the ladies
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Oguleftie,

Where did you get the information on the draws? Bros, please visit the link here https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking ... ble/women/. Here are the FIFA rankings for each team in that group:

#4 France
#12 Norway
#14 S/Korea
#38 Nigeria

Now, please explain again how Falcons are NOT the worst team in the group by the draws?

TBH, the issue of the draws and strengths of the the team does not even address the points that I raise. Please read again.
Oguleftie wrote:
Enugu II wrote:I believe the Falcons are really talented in the context of women football but we should consider that this is a team that really is not at a point it should be in preparing for the Women's World Cup. This team could be further along, based on the talent of the players, if they had prepared a bit longer and played several high level matches.

Not so.
In the past WWC draws, the Falcons used to be the worst team in the group implying each game shows their same deficiencies.
This 2019 the Falcons are not the worst draw team in the group, implying they will play the worst team and those deficiencies will be somewhat masked.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Kudos to our girls. Crucial win for the Super Falcons.
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Enugu II wrote:Oguleftie,

Where did you get the information on the draws? Bros, please visit the link here https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking ... ble/women/. Here are the FIFA rankings for each team in that group:

#4 France
#12 Norway
#14 S/Korea
#38 Nigeria

Now, please explain again how Falcons are NOT the worst team in the group by the draws?

TBH, the issue of the draws and strengths of the the team does not even address the points that I raise. Please read again.
Oguleftie wrote:

Not so.
You did not, and do not, follow world women football.
If you did you will find that even when we were beating Canada, England, etc, etc we were ranked behind them.
Watch world women football consistently to know the teams that are better, and much better, and much much better.

I watched every European qualifying game, and most of Asia qualifying games, hence I know.
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Oguleftie wrote:

#4 France
#12 Norway
#14 S/Korea
#38 Nigeria

Oguleftie wrote:

Not so.
If you did you will find that even when we were beating Canada, England, etc, etc we were ranked behind them.
Watch world women football consistently to know the teams that are better, and much better, and much much better.

I watched every European qualifying game, and most of Asia qualifying games, hence I know.
I have been following and watching women football for more than 40 years.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

The falcons don't play enough games that why the team is ranked 38th in the world.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

waka-man wrote:
oscar52 wrote:
oscar52 wrote:
waka-man wrote:
oscar52 wrote:They were lucky today. A more potent team would have wacked them like 5-0. I will even say they were worse than the first game but the difference this time is the excellent goalkeeper. Ordega is still mostly playing like an "headless chicken", Oshoala does the simple wrong and the complex right (which one is the real Oshoala?), Opanozie is not fit along with Chikwelu. Ayinde brought some pace into the midfield when she replaced Uchendu but overall this team is full of expired legs and lacks talent need at this level. Only Oshoala, the keeper, and maybe Ebi and Oparanozie are close to world class. If they played the USA today, it would have been nothing less than 6 - 0. There biggest problem is the midfield, Chikwelu does not have the legs and there is a gaping hole there. If the opponent goes right through your midfield everytime it will be a long day at the office. Also why isn't the team using basic triangle passing like the Koreans? Everything seems vertical, horizontal, or diagonal? Anyway this coach never earn his paycheck, he seems to just have taught them to foul less and put their hands behind their back in the 18 but seems no actual technical football improvement.

Not sure what you point is. The stuff about world class makes no sense, unless you think world class means good enough to play at the World Cup.

Contribute your point or move on. Half our ladies can't do the basic right and you think they will compete well against Germany or USA. France will show you what am talking about in a few days. Instead of contributing something meaning, it coconut head only knows insults.
It’s just that you don’t bring any coherence to your arguments. You just throw words out, no offence. Is it expired legs, or lack of world class-ness, or lack of intelligence, or Oshoala doing the complex and not the simple. It’s a shopping list of irrationally lobbed out points.

I think they played very intelligent football. The full backs were excellent and the late subs for Oshoala and Ordega show our depth. Rita Chukwuelu and the rest of the midfield were solid. And that’s the most organised I’ve ever seen a falcons team.

Are we gonna win it? Come on, of course not. But today was a good display against a much higher ranked team and we should show some appreciation.
You are the irrational one. The adjectives I used are self explanatory if you know anything about football. I don't have to explain everything in details to you like a child. I pointed out that the players are a mixture of high quality and sub-standard ones and that they were lucky against Korea. The first goal for one would likely have been disallowed by most refs. That goal gave them a huge boost but still for much of the second half they were being played out of the park by the Koreans. The Koreans were doing triangle passing around them and the only answer our girls had were long ball. To say that Chikwelu was solid means that we either watched different games or you need glasses. It was the introduction of Ayinde that stabilized the midfield a little and before that the Koreans owned it. This is the same Korea that France defeated convincingly and they looked like an inferior team to them and they turned out and bossed the Falcons so much. If not for the excellent keeper, the Koreans could have tied or won this game. The refs also was clearly on our side or at least even so that's that. The Falcons is the worst team in this group bar none and the worst African side in this tourney and only Thailand is worse than Naija in the games I have seen. If you want to keep deluding yourself, go ahead but this team no be am at all. There were stretches in the game that I just shook my head because they could just not do anything with the ball at their feet. I will say Ordega is a shadow of her old self and Oshoala can do more as she is miles ahead of the rest in talent and athletism. I appreciate the girls and that's why I watch them but to critique where they are vs where I expect they should be is part of being a fan. I have been here rooting for them since the days of marvelous Mercy Akide, Patience Avre, and midfield maestro Omagbemi.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

oscar52 wrote:
waka-man wrote:
oscar52 wrote:
oscar52 wrote:
waka-man wrote:

You are the irrational one. The adjectives I used are self explanatory if you know anything about football. I don't have to explain everything in details to you like a child. I pointed out that the players are a mixture of high quality and sub-standard ones and that they were lucky against Korea. The first goal for one would likely have been disallowed by most refs. That goal gave them a huge boost but still for much of the second half they were being played out of the park by the Koreans. The Koreans were doing triangle passing around them and the only answer our girls had were long ball. To say that Chikwelu was solid means that we either watched different games or you need glasses. It was the introduction of Ayinde that stabilized the midfield a little and before that the Koreans owned it. This is the same Korea that France defeated convincingly and they looked like an inferior team to them and they turned out and bossed the Falcons so much. If not for the excellent keeper, the Koreans could have tied or won this game. The refs also was clearly on our side or at least even so that's that. The Falcons is the worst team in this group bar none and the worst African side in this tourney and only Thailand is worse than Naija in the games I have seen. If you want to keep deluding yourself, go ahead but this team no be am at all. There were stretches in the game that I just shook my head because they could just not do anything with the ball at their feet. I will say Ordega is a shadow of her old self and Oshoala can do more as she is miles ahead of the rest in talent and athletism.
Maybe it’s just the lack of paragraphs and the hyperbole. It’s really tough to get the core of your arguments. Let’s just say I think the team has made progress and did things well, and you don’t.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

I have often thought that we need to redefine what constitutes the "Nigerian female footballer".

I have been following the women game closely as a student of the game, and it is defined by physicality, balance and technique in that order.

Dominance in the women game has been largely defined by physicality- US, Germany, Norway, Sweden.

The one exception being Japan and Brazil, which created a new template that has been adapted by France, Netherlands, Spain recently..

If I were to be in charge of women football in Nigeria I would redefine the focus for player selection by looking for slimmer, less bulky players, with emphasis on balance and speed. Then train to refine technique, as well as strength and conditioning.

Tactically, build a game based on the medium block and the counterattack, using the speed and power of Nigerian forwards, like Ordega and Oshaola.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Maybe it’s just the lack of paragraphs and the hyperbole. It’s really tough to get the core of your arguments. Let’s just say I think the team has made progress and did things well, and you don’t.
Hyperbole? :) Anyway go look at tapes from the era of Mercy Akide and you will realized much has not changed in their level of play in 24 years except now the offense is gone whereas countries like the US are now like a soccer machine. Lets agree to disagree, I expect more in 24 years to at least put up a firm challenge for 90 min and leave a satisfactory taste in one's mouth that this team is well oiled.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote:

I have often thought that we need to redefine what constitutes the "Nigerian female footballer".

I have been following the women game closely as a student of the game, and it is defined by physicality, balance and technique in that order.

Dominance in the women game has been largely defined by physicality- US, Germany, Norway, Sweden.

The one exception being Japan and Brazil, which created a new template that has been adapted by France, Netherlands, Spain recently..

If I were to be in charge of women football in Nigeria I would redefine the focus for player selection by looking for slimmer, less bulky players, with emphasis on balance and speed. Then train to refine technique, as well as strength and conditioning.

Tactically, build a game based on the medium block and the counterattack, using the speed and power of Nigerian forwards, like Ordega and Oshaola.
Txj,

I actually share the same thought. In addition, I would add the need to use such players to pressure the ball. I admire how the French team plays, for instance. TBH, I hope we do not suddenly fire the coach that we have for the Falcons. There is something good going with the team and I think time is needed to see how it eventually shapes out.

My thought, is that the coach has a difficult decision to make against France in terms of how he plays both Oshoala and Oparanozie. I do not think it will help to play both of them at the top considering the need to solidify the defensive side of the ball. My tuppence.
Last edited by Enugu II on Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Oguleftie wrote:
Oguleftie wrote:

#4 France
#12 Norway
#14 S/Korea
#38 Nigeria

Oguleftie wrote:

Not so.

I have been following and watching women football for more than 40 years.
Oguleftie,

Okay. So what makes you think that others have not followed the game?

Well, to the issue you brought up. How did you get from the draws to the issue of actual results achieved by Falcons? I do not see the logical link from one to the other. You claimed the Falcons were not the worst team in their group based on the draws. I showed you how inaccurate that claim is. You are not able to dispute the fact that they are the lowest ranked in their group, are you?

Then suddenly you talk about ability to beat teams that have been ranked above them previously. Yes, they have done that just as they did today by beating Korea that is well ranked above them. So what is the point again?

Is the next point about how much you have watched the team? I can debate that too, if that is now the issue. But we have certainly moved so far away from the draws to upsetting teams and now to how much you have watched the team.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

I am going to sue ogueleife..this fella claims to have been following women football for 40 years and that was 1979...that is a massive fabu
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Oh boy!

I watch this game on the Spanish station to save myself from being repulsed by a Fox commentators like I was during the first game.

To make matters worse the female commentator claimed to have spoken to KOC’s wife who she said told her that Naija defense sucks etc

Dem say our Oyimbo coach good but we no dey play to his usual standard of well organized team etc.

They supported almost all the Ojoro calls ref made against us.
olu wrote:She is actually a really good commentator. She sounds like she does her research and gives a very good perspective being an ex player. Better than most of the male commentators on Fox or Nigerian TV neither of which are a very high bar.
Oguleftie wrote:
olu wrote:The Fox female commentator who is an ex-US women's international kept saying Nigeria's ball possession has improved since Dennebry took over, but that we aren't making use of our pace and athleticism as much which is our strength. For those who have been following the Falcons extensively has this team improved in any way since Dennebry took charge?
Why are you listening to "a Fox female commentator who is an ex-US"?
What makes you think commentators know much about the team they are commenting on; they do not.