South Korea v Nigeria 0-2 FT

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: South Korea v Nigeria 0-2 FT

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:I believe the Falcons are really talented in the context of women football but we should consider that this is a team that really is not at a point it should be in preparing for the Women's World Cup. This team could be further along, based on the talent of the players, if they had prepared a bit longer and played several high level matches.

There is abundance of fast players upfront. In fact, all there of the most advanced players (Ordega, Oparanozie, and Oshoala) are very fast and very few women teams have that type of combination upfront. The midfield, however, is not up to scratch particularly in ability to keep possession and the range of space covered by the players. When your successful completion of passes is only 66%, then there is a problem. Somewhat I believe the problem is not the technical ability of the players but the time to work together. Defensively, there are huge questions with issues of indecision particularly in the partnership. in the middle. I love the LB but she lacked appropriate support from Chikwelu on the left which left gaps wide. IMHO, Ebere (LB) was expected to play compact to close gaps in the middle which she did but the support from the midfield to cut out the wide area on the right was largely missing or the defense just failed to shift to the strong areas when the ball shifted to the right. That is just my sense of the game today.

I feel the coach has impacted the play of the Falcons. We can argue on whether the impact is positive or negative but it is obvious that the team's play has changed CLEARLY. For one, the team is bent on keeping its formation shape. This is quite obvious. In the past this was not always the case. What is missing in my opinion is the lack of sufficient pressure on the ball from the advanced players which allowed Korea to amply and leisurely possess the ball. Further, sticking to the shape should not prevent shifting to the strong side of the ball to prevent many crosses. Yet, this was allowed because the shifting was absent in many cases. Further, the defensive positioning at cornerbacks appear elementary inside the box but may have been introduced because the players often lack attention to 1 v1 defending in their areas which you easily notice during crosses. Thus, the coach may have introduced he packed zone inside the box to close down spaces and to neuter the opportunities that exist when the defensive team is unable to mark closely.

The above are just my thoughts.

I have often thought that we need to redefine what constitutes the "Nigerian female footballer".

I have been following the women game closely as a student of the game, and it is defined by physicality, balance and technique in that order.

Dominance in the women game has been largely defined by physicality- US, Germany, Norway, Sweden.

The one exception being Japan and Brazil, which created a new template that has been adapted by France, Netherlands, Spain recently..

If I were to be in charge of women football in Nigeria I would redefine the focus for player selection by looking for slimmer, less bulky players, with emphasis on balance and speed. Then train to refine technique, as well as strength and conditioning.

Tactically, build a game based on the medium block and the counterattack, using the speed and power of Nigerian forwards, like Ordega and Oshaola.
Txj,

I actually share the same thought. In addition, I would add the need to use such players to pressure the ball. I admire how the French team plays, for instance. TBH, I hope we do not suddenly fire the coach that we have for the Falcons. There is something good going with the team and I think time is needed to see how it eventually shapes out.

My thought, is that the coach has a difficult decision to make against France in terms of how he plays both Oshoala and Oparanozie. I do not think it will help to play both of them at the top considering the need to solidify the defensive side of the ball. My tuppence.
No doubt the team's improved wrt its organization. But its hard to assess the coaches of our WNT given the absence of any real structures.

Disappointed in the way he has used our forwards in very traditional ways. Personally I would bring them closer together, and have them attack the spaces between the fullbacks and CDs, rather than simply run down the flanks and cross. Especially to constantly rotate positions among the front three, and therefore not be so predictable.

And b/c we are technically weak in central MF, I would focus creativity on the front three, and use pressing/counterpressing by a MF trio, as de facto playmaking tactic; with quick transition to attack, technically (without the hit and hope long balls) once possession is regained.

It would mean playing a slightly high line in defence, using a medium block, and rely on the pace of our defenders in 1v1 situation for recovery.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Still the same stereotype about the men's African team is what these networks do with the women. Athletic, strong ..etc
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:I believe the Falcons are really talented in the context of women football but we should consider that this is a team that really is not at a point it should be in preparing for the Women's World Cup. This team could be further along, based on the talent of the players, if they had prepared a bit longer and played several high level matches.

There is abundance of fast players upfront. In fact, all there of the most advanced players (Ordega, Oparanozie, and Oshoala) are very fast and very few women teams have that type of combination upfront. The midfield, however, is not up to scratch particularly in ability to keep possession and the range of space covered by the players. When your successful completion of passes is only 66%, then there is a problem. Somewhat I believe the problem is not the technical ability of the players but the time to work together. Defensively, there are huge questions with issues of indecision particularly in the partnership. in the middle. I love the LB but she lacked appropriate support from Chikwelu on the left which left gaps wide. IMHO, Ebere (LB) was expected to play compact to close gaps in the middle which she did but the support from the midfield to cut out the wide area on the right was largely missing or the defense just failed to shift to the strong areas when the ball shifted to the right. That is just my sense of the game today.

I feel the coach has impacted the play of the Falcons. We can argue on whether the impact is positive or negative but it is obvious that the team's play has changed CLEARLY. For one, the team is bent on keeping its formation shape. This is quite obvious. In the past this was not always the case. What is missing in my opinion is the lack of sufficient pressure on the ball from the advanced players which allowed Korea to amply and leisurely possess the ball. Further, sticking to the shape should not prevent shifting to the strong side of the ball to prevent many crosses. Yet, this was allowed because the shifting was absent in many cases. Further, the defensive positioning at cornerbacks appear elementary inside the box but may have been introduced because the players often lack attention to 1 v1 defending in their areas which you easily notice during crosses. Thus, the coach may have introduced he packed zone inside the box to close down spaces and to neuter the opportunities that exist when the defensive team is unable to mark closely.

I have often thought that we need to redefine what constitutes the "Nigerian female footballer".

I have been following the women game closely as a student of the game, and it is defined by physicality, balance and technique in that order.

Dominance in the women game has been largely defined by physicality- US, Germany, Norway, Sweden.

The one exception being Japan and Brazil, which created a new template that has been adapted by France, Netherlands, Spain recently..

If I were to be in charge of women football in Nigeria I would redefine the focus for player selection by looking for slimmer, less bulky players, with emphasis on balance and speed. Then train to refine technique, as well as strength and conditioning.

Tactically, build a game based on the medium block and the counterattack, using the speed and power of Nigerian forwards, like Ordega and Oshaola.
Txj,

I actually share the same thought. In addition, I would add the need to use such players to pressure the ball. I admire how the French team plays, for instance. TBH, I hope we do not suddenly fire the coach that we have for the Falcons. There is something good going with the team and I think time is needed to see how it eventually shapes out.

My thought, is that the coach has a difficult decision to make against France in terms of how he plays both Oshoala and Oparanozie. I do not think it will help to play both of them at the top considering the need to solidify the defensive side of the ball. My tuppence.
so we should discard where we have natural advantage in order to go copy France. okay oh. Oga ITK
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

[/video]

We really need to give ourselves a break sometimes. Our defending in the last World Cup was so bad as evidenced above. I believe Dennerby has brought a kind of solidity in our back line. But our midfield appears to be suffering for it especially as we now tend to defend much deeper. But I still think it is progress. I suppose what CE critics are mostly annoyed about is whether our football has grown over the years.

I was at National Stadium years ago when the team of Omagbemi, Okolo, Kudaisi and Nkwocha smashed a visiting England 5-0. I remember the England coach saying that they had come to Nigeria to learn and found the experience worthy. Well, look at England today and look at us! While the English FA has poured millions of pounds into the sport from grassroot level, professionalised the sport and brought in foreigners to raise the level of their players, our league has suffered. So, can we really blame the girls?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

^Sweden cannot defend too :roll:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Goldleaf wrote:[/video]

We really need to give ourselves a break sometimes. Our defending in the last World Cup was so bad as evidenced above. I believe Dennerby has brought a kind of solidity in our back line. But our midfield appears to be suffering for it especially as we now tend to defend much deeper. But I still think it is progress. I suppose what CE critics are mostly annoyed about is whether our football has grown over the years.

I was at National Stadium years ago when the team of Omagbemi, Okolo, Kudaisi and Nkwocha smashed a visiting England 5-0. I remember the England coach saying that they had come to Nigeria to learn and found the experience worthy. Well, look at England today and look at us! While the English FA has poured millions of pounds into the sport from grassroot level, professionalised the sport and brought in foreigners to raise the level of their players, our league has suffered. So, can we really blame the girls?
I don't know which planet that game took place. Nigeria have never played England in Nigeria, unless it was a club side. The have played England 3 times, twice in friendlies in England and once at the World Cup in 1995. We lost 3-2 at the World Cup but won both friendlies 3-0 and 1-0 respectively.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Adisboy wrote:
Goldleaf wrote:[/video]

I don't know which planet that game took place. Nigeria have never played England in Nigeria, unless it was a club side. The have played England 3 times, twice in friendlies in England and once at the World Cup in 1995. We lost 3-2 at the World Cup but won both friendlies 3-0 and 1-0 respectively.
http://www.nufxdesign.com/Portfolio/Kan ... alcons.htm

You are right. Memories are going. The match was between Falcons and Arsenal Ladies on 8 March 2003. My mistake. But I remember the Falcons running riot and delivering a master performance. I also remember the friendly in England where we beat them 3-0. Kudais was immense at the back.
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Enugu II wrote:
Oguleftie wrote:
Oguleftie wrote:
Enugu II wrote:Oguleftie,

Where did you get the information on the draws? Bros, please visit the link here https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking ... ble/women/. Here are the FIFA rankings for each team in that group:

#4 France
#12 Norway
#14 S/Korea
#38 Nigeria

Now, please explain again how Falcons are NOT the worst team in the group by the draws?

TBH, the issue of the draws and strengths of the the team does not even address the points that I raise. Please read again.
Oguleftie wrote:

Not so.
In the past WWC draws, the Falcons used to be the worst team in the group implying each game shows their same deficiencies.
This 2019 the Falcons are not the worst draw team in the group, implying they will play the worst team and those deficiencies will be somewhat masked.
You did not, and do not, follow world women football.
If you did you will find that even when we were beating Canada, England, etc, etc we were ranked behind them.
Watch world women football consistently to know the teams that are better, and much better, and much much better.

I watched every European qualifying game, and most of Asia qualifying games, hence I know.
I have been following and watching women football for more than 40 years.
Oguleftie,

Okay. So what makes you think that others have not followed the game?

Well, to the issue you brought up. How did you get from the draws to the issue of actual results achieved by Falcons? I do not see the logical link from one to the other. You claimed the Falcons were not the worst team in their group based on the draws. I showed you how inaccurate that claim is. You are not able to dispute the fact that they are the lowest ranked in their group, are you?

Then suddenly you talk about ability to beat teams that have been ranked above them previously. Yes, they have done that just as they did today by beating Korea that is well ranked above them. So what is the point again?

Is the next point about how much you have watched the team? I can debate that too, if that is now the issue. But we have certainly moved so far away from the draws to upsetting teams and now to how much you have watched the team.
So you are still on this.
I watched the Asian qualifying matches.
Did you watch the Asian world cup watching matches?
If you did not then there is no need to continue the discussion.
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Oguleftie wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Oguleftie wrote:
Oguleftie wrote:
Enugu II wrote:Oguleftie,

Where did you get the information on the draws? Bros, please visit the link here https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking ... ble/women/. Here are the FIFA rankings for each team in that group:

#4 France
#12 Norway
#14 S/Korea
#38 Nigeria

Now, please explain again how Falcons are NOT the worst team in the group by the draws?

TBH, the issue of the draws and strengths of the the team does not even address the points that I raise. Please read again.
Oguleftie wrote:

Not so.
In the past WWC draws, the Falcons used to be the worst team in the group implying each game shows their same deficiencies.
This 2019 the Falcons are not the worst draw team in the group, implying they will play the worst team and those deficiencies will be somewhat masked.
You did not, and do not, follow world women football.
If you did you will find that even when we were beating Canada, England, etc, etc we were ranked behind them.
Watch world women football consistently to know the teams that are better, and much better, and much much better.

I watched every European qualifying game, and most of Asia qualifying games, hence I know.
I have been following and watching women football for more than 40 years.
Oguleftie,

Okay. So what makes you think that others have not followed the game?

Well, to the issue you brought up. How did you get from the draws to the issue of actual results achieved by Falcons? I do not see the logical link from one to the other. You claimed the Falcons were not the worst team in their group based on the draws. I showed you how inaccurate that claim is. You are not able to dispute the fact that they are the lowest ranked in their group, are you?

Then suddenly you talk about ability to beat teams that have been ranked above them previously. Yes, they have done that just as they did today by beating Korea that is well ranked above them. So what is the point again?

Is the next point about how much you have watched the team? I can debate that too, if that is now the issue. But we have certainly moved so far away from the draws to upsetting teams and now to how much you have watched the team.
So you are still on this.
I watched the Asian qualifying matches.
Did you watch the Asian world cup watching matches?
If you did not then there is no need to continue the discussion.
This kin goal post shifting na wah :D
The original post was at Dan Anyiam, it is now at Enyimba stadium. Kudos bro for the magic!!! :thumbs:
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Benedict Iroha wrote:Still the same stereotype about the men's African team is what these networks do with the women. Athletic, strong ..etc
We use the same stereotypes here about our teams such as

1. Naive
2. Stupid
3. No football brain
4. Physical
5. Unpolished
6. Unintelligent

I could go on
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Bigpokey24 wrote:^Sweden cannot defend too :roll:
No.

Nigeria conceded three goals because they were naive.

Sweden concede three goals because they were not good at defending.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

Enugu II wrote: I love the LB but she lacked appropriate support from Chikwelu on the left which left gaps wide. IMHO, Ebere (LB) was expected to play compact to close gaps in the middle which she did but the support from the midfield to cut out the wide area on the right was largely missing or the defense just failed to shift to the strong areas when the ball shifted to the right. That is just my sense of the game today.
My thinking is that the large squat of space on the left of the defence is due to the fact that during the game, Oshoala, provided zero support tracking back. On many occasions, I saw her standing, waiting for the ball. Me, I am still trying to figure out why Oshoala is being played on the left and right of the attack as she does not have the nous for playing there. If it is to take advantage of her speed, then, she has been woeful with her ball control and spatial awareness of her surroundings.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:

Txj,

The other thing to add here is that women football is riddled with turnover of possession, which often makes for end to end play. This happens to pretty much every women NT, including the US...

But it also strongly supports the case for pressing (and counterpressing); but in midfield, between the third and fourth zones. And then using that as a platform for counterattacks.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

If I was the coach, I will replace Oparanozie, Ordega, and Chikwelu in the lineup as they are not mobile enough.
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

oscar52 wrote:If I was the coach, I will replace Oparanozie, Ordega, and Chikwelu in the lineup as they are not mobile enough.
And replaced them with what. Infallible robots?
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Ekorian wrote:
oscar52 wrote:If I was the coach, I will replace Oparanozie, Ordega, and Chikwelu in the lineup as they are not mobile enough.
And replaced them with what. Infallible robots?
Baba help me ask am o. Sometimes I just wonder what manner of fans we have as Nigeria soccer fans...It is a shame sha, a damn shame if you ask me smh.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Well, I think Oparanozie will miss the France game on accumulation of yellow cards..
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Gotti wrote:
Well, I think Oparanozie will miss the France game on accumulation of yellow cards..
Perfect. Bring in Kanu in her place, she is younger, taller, and more physical. The team needs to put more pressure on the opposing defense to take pressure of their own defense.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Uche Kanu looks a real talent. With her an Anan Imo we have really good back ups for Zee, Desire and Francesca.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

How is this Thailand ranked higher then our team? Fallacy of the ranking on display.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Cito wrote:How is this Thailand ranked higher then our team? Fallacy of the ranking on display.
By being active. They've played more than 25 games since last year. Unfortunately, useless stats like this matters in a point-accumulation system.
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Ekorian wrote:
Cito wrote:How is this Thailand ranked higher then our team? Fallacy of the ranking on display.
By being active. They've played more than 25 games since last year. Unfortunately, useless stats like this matters in a point-accumulation system.
Playing and winning against the Cambodia and East Timor of the world shouldn’t earn them much points to be in the top 30 of the world.

Anyways, I think it’s high time our female teams were afforded a better package in terms of friendlies all year round. And not just when there is a competition.

Nigeria even beat them 3-0 a few months ago. Check their record in the 25 games they played, the lost almost to all decent teams and won the Myanmar kind of games.
Last edited by Cito on Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

If true, then hen that’s good news. Oparanozie is certainly not the most intelligent of players.
Making her captain was one of the dumbest decisions by the coach.
Gotti wrote: