FOX SPORTS CTITIZED FOR RACIST TV COMMENTARY ABOUT FALCONS

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

kalani JR
Egg
Egg
Re: 'pace and power'

Post by kalani JR »

The real deal wrote:
King Futcha wrote:now that a white guy has said it, maybe some folks will start to take notice. :)
Lisa Byington And Cat Whitehill Bust Out Lazy Tropes About African Teams For Their Germany-Nigeria Commentary

Commentating on live sports for a national television audience can be a herculean task, but it’s a lot easier if you decide to rely on tired racial stereotypes to fill the dead air—as Fox’s Lisa Byington and Cat Whitehill discovered on Saturday.
But the more obvious sign of this trope-reliance came later in the first half when Whitehill was assessing how this Nigeria squad was able to return to the World Cup knockout stage for the first time in 20 years. She said after years of relying only on athleticism to get in the tournament, it was thanks to the European coach they hired that they finally learned some discipline to get past the group stage.

Whitehill: “Somehow Nigeria keeps making it into the World Cup and they’re finally, with [Thomas] Dennerby, getting a proper coach to teach them proper tactical and technical aspects to their game. I think it’s exciting for Nigeria. They’re finally, you know, looking like a side that can compete.“

https://deadspin.com/lisa-byington-and- ... 1835765886

Sadly it goes both ways. Firstly, no other race faces the kind of obstacle we face. We have been treated as low IQ for centuries. Any and every European Empire/ Power had black slaves. Most Black population out of the continent probably got there as slaves..... we face stereotypes worse than military propaganda. Tbh, some of the ways our folks behave, or sportsmen, soccer players also play so naive too, truth be told. The only one to get us out of this, is OURSELVES. It cannot be legislated, forced down anybody throat etc. We just have to ignore these noise and get better by ourselves
What are you saying man? :lol: :lol:
goke313
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by goke313 »

The Goddess wrote:This $#% never gets old. It will change only when Nigeria or another African nation can go all the way with the local coach. One must always prove to them that one can do it. Terrible how one is exposed to the helpless judgements of the wold.
This/Thread
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: FOX SPORTS CTITIZED FOR RACIST TV COMMENTARY ABOUT FALCO

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

kolinzo wrote:Inferiority complex of black folks. So because a white guy agrees with your view it legitimizes your opinion. SMH.

When Nigeria was killing it in soccer nobody was worried about the commentary. Nigeria was praised all over the world for being skillful, pace, and intelligent. But of course they praised the white coach who took them to that level (as he should). But when we are playing like headless chicken and these commentators hide their criticism in "they have pace...bla blah blah..." you are mad? SMH.
My friend, you need to rid yourself of your slave mentality. Your white massas aren’t always right and their comments shouldn’t define our abilities. We have every right to be indignant when they lace their commentary with racism. You might find this hard to believe but not everyone is an Uncle Tom like you :!:
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

goke313 wrote:
The Goddess wrote:This $#% never gets old. It will change only when Nigeria or another African nation can go all the way with the local coach. One must always prove to them that one can do it. Terrible how one is exposed to the helpless judgements of the world.
This/Thread
what do you mean?
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
kolinzo wrote:Inferiority complex of black folks. So because a white guy agrees with your view it legitimizes your opinion. SMH.

When Nigeria was killing it in soccer nobody was worried about the commentary. Nigeria was praised all over the world for being skillful, pace, and intelligent. But of course they praised the white coach who took them to that level (as he should). But when we are playing like headless chicken and these commentators hide their criticism in "they have pace...bla blah blah..." you are mad? SMH.
My friend, you need to rid yourself of your slave mentality. Your white massas aren’t always right and their comments shouldn’t define our abilities. We have every right to be indignant when they lace their commentary with racism. You might find this hard to believe but not everyone is an Uncle Tom like you :!:
the guy is not bright and a lost cause, pay him no mind.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Clutching at straws again weren't ya?! You are suffering from inferiority complex and you think I'm the one who needs to rid myself of mental slavery? You have every right to be indignant just like I have every right to point your inferiority complex out. When you think the whole world is against you and you are begging for their cooperation tells me how inferior you are. Sorry, I'm not on that boat and I refuse to get on that boat with you and your cohorts. The day you stop seeking attention from your masters is the day you emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Gooner1 wrote:
oscar52 wrote:Why diversity is so important be it on TV, workplace, police, schools, government etc.
....what makes u think diversity will solve this problem?
I WISH IT WERE SO, BUT...

...dicersity would not necessarily solve it. One of the Fox ladies is a black former keeper (for Canada?) and Aluko (an attorney?) chimed in with "naive" when describing how the Nigerian girls defended a corner kick. I think it's a stereotype which people use because everyone else says it and playing up to viewers' expectations. There's another stereotype I wanted to point out recently in the U21 tournament. A tv ad shows kids playing and enjoying soccer around the world. How was the African kid depicted? You guessed it: they were the ones playing on dusty field with bad balls while flashing toothy smiles. I don't know if CAF sees these things or if they give a damn.
Bell
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

I have said for long, it doesn't matter who has coverage to either World Cup, when you watch American coverage it has been like that Pace and power or Athleticism. They never credit with skills that is reserved for Europeans and South Americans. Even if you watch Nigeria vs Korea in WWC they used to same BS. Stop hiring Oyibo, especially unknown ones like Rohr. Our last performance at the World Cup and Nations Cup was well managed by Stephen Keshi.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Bell wrote:
Gooner1 wrote:
oscar52 wrote:Why diversity is so important be it on TV, workplace, police, schools, government etc.
I WISH IT WERE SO, BUT...

...dicersity would not necessarily solve it. One of the Fox ladies is a black former keeper (for Canada?) and Aluko (an attorney?) chimed in with "naive" when describing how the Nigerian girls defended a corner kick. I think it's a stereotype which people use because everyone else says it and playing up to viewers' expectations. There's another stereotype I wanted to point out recently in the U21 tournament. A tv ad shows kids playing and enjoying soccer around the world. How was the African kid depicted? You guessed it: they were the ones playing on dusty field with bad balls while flashing toothy smiles. I don't know if CAF sees these things or if they give a damn.
Bell
Thanks Bell.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

kolinzo wrote:

Clutching at straws again weren't ya?! You are suffering from inferiority complex and you think I'm the one who needs to rid myself of mental slavery? You have every right to be indignant just like I have every right to point your inferiority complex out. When you think the whole world is against you and you are begging for their cooperation tells me how inferior you are. Sorry, I'm not on that boat and I refuse to get on that boat with you and your cohorts. The day you stop seeking attention from your masters is the day you emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
You’ve got your head stuck so far up your massa’s behind you can’t even reason logically. I know exactly what boat you’re on; the one on which you think if you keep quiet long enough, massa will relent and throw you a bone. Well, that’s a boat that’s going nowhere so, you better get off it fast :!:

Cheers.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

metalalloy wrote:
Gooner1 wrote:
Because a diverse group would most likely have different perspectives on a topic as opposed to having to resort to tired old cliches and tropes.
KPOM!
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

marko wrote:There is nothing wrong with pace and power! Our 1994 team had just that plus a lot more in the bag, the pace and power tore Bulgaria apart!, nearly Argentina, at the 1996 Olympics, we had that as well plus some skillful players
True but when its used to mean pace and power only, that's when it can be a negative stereotype. Horse and Bison all have pace and power too.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Never thought I’d say this, but I find British commentators a lot more respectful than these American commentators. Any opportunity to get a dig in, they take.

Yes, it sure didn’t help that our girls couldn’t string 4 passes together, but I’ve been watching games a long time and listening to commentary. There is a code of conduct when talking about teams. Yes, they may not be as good as the opponents, but you’re supposed to be gracious and respectful.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

I tried, but I can't pass up this juicy morsel. Tony, you know this thread is about lazy stereotypes and tropes, abi? Just asking. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

Uselessness. Both sides of the argument are wrong, as usual.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
100%Naija
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 100%Naija »

ohenhen1 wrote:It used to be ESPN. It is now fox. I actually filed a complaint against julie foudy.
That inbred is a racist. I abused her on social media to no end. stupid f'ugly twat!
I'm the biggest boss that you've seen thus far, Reppin' PH & NGR to the Fullest
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=158494
Babafad wrote: My brother, dis money go scatter akara for inside oil. Just dey watch!
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

100%Naija wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:It used to be ESPN. It is now fox. I actually filed a complaint against julie foudy.
That inbred is a racist. I abused her on social media to no end. stupid f'ugly twat!
you aren't the brightest, sure you didn't abuse the wrong person?

Nigerians rushed Jenny's twitter page, made her cry, she wasn't even the one calling the game. :)
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Enugu II wrote:Most unfortunate is when you note that a lot of us, including many on CE, parrot those tired cliches here and elsewhere.
That to me is more crineworthy than the Fox commentaries my brother
I was crumbled when one CE poster alluded to the fact that Africanwomen are too emotional and/or don't have the high enough IQ to execute a strategy

Charity begins at home,
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

King Futcha wrote:
100%Naija wrote:

Nigerians rushed Jenny's twitter page, made her cry, she wasn't even the one calling the game. :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Imagine being proud you abused a woman on the internet.
kzz5joa
Egg
Egg

Post by kzz5joa »

As sad and unfortunate as I find these stereotypes, I can't help but wonder why it does not trigger our Football administrators. What would it take for them to really go all out to ensure that our teams are well prepared for tournaments? There are finer points of the game that we repeatedly fail to address and it inevitably manifests in some awkward display. Somehow, it always seems that those in charge of our football assume that our athleticism is enough to overwhelm the opposition.

I would love for these commentators to be respectful, but more than that, I wish for African Football administrators to wake up and give it all it takes. I mean, it's football, not rocket science.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

kzz5joa wrote:As sad and unfortunate as I find these stereotypes, I can't help but wonder why it does not trigger our Football administrators. What would it take for them to really go all out to ensure that our teams are well prepared for tournaments? There are finer points of the game that we repeatedly fail to address and it inevitably manifests in some awkward display. Somehow, it always seems that those in charge of our football assume that our athleticism is enough to overwhelm the opposition.

I would love for these commentators to be respectful, but more than that, I wish for African Football administrators to wake up and give it all it takes. I mean, it's football, not rocket science.
It's partly racism but there is also a lot of laziness in English language football analysis, you'll struggle to get in depth discussion on tactics in the papers, in the press conference or even in studio sometimes. As a result you get commentators still talking about catenaccio or total football.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

King Futcha wrote:
100%Naija wrote:

that is why the real naijas will never come last.... some people at a time went after wizkid, lets just say those real naija men finished the crap out of those accounts..as i said i go online and deal with useless people.... right now i can't remember my bigpokey twitter account, I will deal with aluko very soon
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

i am going to wire alexis lalas and that useless woman that sat next to aluko, with some English language..i done forget my bigpokey password sef
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved