What's with the empty seats in the stadiums?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
What's with the empty seats in the stadiums?

Post by 1naija »

Did Egypt and CAF set the ticket prices too high? Or why isn't any of the games sold out. Imagine a star studded team like Nigeia playing to an empty stadium. Something needs to change.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
mystic
Egg
Egg
Re: What's with the empty seats in the stadiums?

Post by mystic »

1naija wrote:Did Egypt and CAF set the ticket prices too high? Or why isn't any of the games sold out. Imagine a star studded team like Nigeia playing to an empty stadium. Something needs to change.

This is what we see at every Afcon. Egypt's games will be sold out. The rest of the North African teams will have good support from their fans, and it will be relatively empty stadiums for everyone else. The key will be what the crowd support will look like in the knockout phase when there should be some great matchups. If the stadiums are still empty at that point, it will be very disappointing.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Mods shangalo this thread to world forum
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Mods shangalo this thread to world forum
You are doing too much with all the free jobless time on your hands. Did Nigeria play in a full stadium?
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

It's shameful!!!

I advocated some time ago that AFCON should be held in Europe or US.
I still believe it should ..... the stadiums will fill up.
Africans in Africa do not simply have the financial muscle to go watch their teams play.
Naija vs Burundi in Chicago/Huston/LA/London will easily draw a crowd of 30,000 ( all the uber drives will take a 90min break)
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Rawlings wrote:It's shameful!!!

Africans in Africa do not simply have the financial muscle to go watch their teams play.
Naija vs Burundi in Chicago/Huston/LA/London will easily draw a crowd of 30,000 ( all the uber drives will take a 90min break)
This is true. The Gold cup games are always packed regardless of the teams playing. And they have some really bad teams in the tournament.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

I KPOM this statement.

Let me add that CAF reportedly received an enticing offer to have an AFCON played I believe in UAE or Qatar (not sure now) but CAF eventually turned it down possibly because of the political flak that will result from sealing such a deal.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Enugu II wrote:

I KPOM this statement.

Let me add that CAF reportedly received an enticing offer to have an AFCON played I believe in UAE or Qatar (not sure now) but CAF eventually turned it down possibly because of the political flak that will result from sealing such a deal.
CAF should issue a warning to Africans countries(especially Naija): If you cannot get 10,000 from a population of 200 million to come watch the matches, then it shall be moved.
Qatar & Japan are playing in the South American championship. Continental borders are vanishing.
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Egypt should drop the ticket prices so people can go watch. Its not as if they recoup money from gate fees anyway.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

kali wrote:Egypt should drop the ticket prices so people can go watch. Its not as if they recoup money from gate fees anyway.
That will not make a difference!!!
Egyptians are most likely not interested in e.g. Naija-Burundi, Congo-Uganda, Senegal-Tanzania
When England played Panama at the world cup in Russia, the stadium was full of English men (not Russians)

We Africans can't muster enough resources to go support our countries, because normal life is a daily struggle.
Whenever our economies are fixed to European standards, we will travel to go see our teams.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

I noticed Nigeria's game wasn't completely empty. Senegal game also had some numbers - probably a few thousand at most

That said, I think this problem is exacerbated by Africa's infrastructural challenges. No convenient airline routes to Egypt not to mention the prohibitive ticket prices make it difficult for fans to move around. A flight from Lagos to Banjul which should take no more than 3.5 hours probably takes several days and is an expensive trip that may go through Casablanca or even Europe
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

YUJAM wrote:I noticed Nigeria's game wasn't completely empty. Senegal game also had some numbers - probably a few thousand at most

That said, I think this problem is exacerbated by Africa's infrastructural challenges. No convenient airline routes to Egypt not to mention the prohibitive ticket prices make it difficult for fans to move around. A flight from Lagos to Banjul which should take no more than 3.5 hours probably takes several days and is an expensive trip that may go through Casablanca or even Europe
Do u remember Arsenal & Chelsea fans going to Azerbaijan?
Some spent 18-24hrs to get there.
One Spurs fan bought a $50 car and drove to Madrid to watch the Liverpool-Spurs game.

Infrastructural challenges can always be overcome if u have the money
90% of Naija people can't afford the basic necessities of life, so travelling to watch a soccer game even in Naija is a luxury
That's the problem!
Poverty
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Try driving through the Sahara to get to Egypt. There has to be a road network
Rawlings wrote:
YUJAM wrote:I noticed Nigeria's game wasn't completely empty. Senegal game also had some numbers - probably a few thousand at most

Do u remember Arsenal & Chelsea fans going to Azerbaijan?
Some spent 18-24hrs to get there.
One Spurs fan bought a $50 car and drove to Madrid to watch the Liverpool-Spurs game.

Infrastructural challenges can always be overcome if u have the money
90% of Naija people can't afford the basic necessities of life, so travelling to watch a soccer game even in Naija is a luxury
That's the problem!
Poverty
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

It is also hot. 38 degree to 40 degrees.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...Mr Air Commodore Rawlings making a lot of sense, deviating from your usual stupid posts. What happened, someone knock you with hammer :???: :???:
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

YUJAM wrote:Try driving through the Sahara to get to Egypt. There has to be a road network
Oga,
The Ghanaians who want to get to Europe, travel through the Sahara to get to Libya

Naija people do it too:

I repeat: Poverty is the main problem. Infrastructural challenges are just speed bumps.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Is Egypt a visa free country for rest of Africans? This is another issue that compounds the ease of access. This issues are not confined to Egypt though. Mind you the Argentines travel far and wide for their teams so....
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

akamoke wrote:Is Egypt a visa free country for rest of Africans? This is another issue that compounds the ease of access. This issues are not confined to Egypt though. Mind you the Argentines travel far and wide for their teams so....
getting an Egyptian visa is as easy as buying akamo in lagos
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Rawlings is right. Poverty is the main problem across Africa. Watching football is the least of the worries of most Africans. In Nigeria, many have to go to "viewing centres" to watch the match due to no "light", no satellite dish, etc. The Egyptian authorities should have provided free tickets to matches not involving the home team to local schools, etc.
http://www.naijiant.com/
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

This idea of hosting AfCON is Europe or USA is looking at the solution from a diaspora perspective.

Who actually believes AfCON matches would be sold out in Wembley stadium?

Liverpool stadium could be packed (if Egypt and Senegal) because of Mane and Salah.

In London you are most likely looking at Charlton athletic stadium and East London (not West Ham stadium).

Outside London, Newcastle, Leeds, Cardiff or Scotland?

Let's talk about the cost of hosting AfCON in Europe. From hotel to logistics to stadium is not going to be cheap.

Hosting AfCON outside Africa will only create employment opportunities in Europe or USA, thereby denying African hotels, transport business opportunities.

CAF should have either made free tickets available or at knock down prices.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

It is a question of organisation and mobilisation. There should be marketing efforts targeted towards attendance such as star players showing up for promotional events, discounts and incentives for attendance (attendees can get into draws to win sponsor products for example). Again, qualification and the draws should be wrapped up earlier to allow fans who want to attend to plan. This was the issue for me. The time between the draws and the actual start of the tournament was you short. In contrast, I had several months to plan my trip to the WC in Russia.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Tufiakwa if we take ANC outside Africa.So we go and promote others economy to grow and our own suffer?
When SA host ANC, its stadium full because most Africans are in SA and south Africans get knock down price.

Egypt situation most people never forget what happen in history,its well documented how Egyptian Pharaohs has foreign slaves .Most people might be scared to go to Egypt and get caught as slaves.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

kajifu wrote:Tufiakwa if we take ANC outside Africa.So we go and promote others economy to grow and our own suffer?
When SA host ANC, its stadium full because most Africans are in SA and south Africans get knock down price.

Egypt situation most people never forget what happen in history,its well documented how Egyptian Pharaohs has foreign slaves .Most people might be scared to go to Egypt and get caught as slaves.
The point is lost on those who are want AFCON outside Africa.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim