What's with the empty seats in the stadiums?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Rawlings
Egg
Egg
Re: What's with the empty seats in the stadiums?

Post by Rawlings »

aruako1 wrote:It is a question of organisation and mobilisation. There should be marketing efforts targeted towards attendance such as star players showing up for promotional events, discounts and incentives for attendance (attendees can get into draws to win sponsor products for example). Again, qualification and the draws should be wrapped up earlier to allow fans who want to attend to plan. This was the issue for me. The time between the draws and the actual start of the tournament was you short. In contrast, I had several months to plan my trip to the WC in Russia.
You sound like a guy who has never been poor in his life :mad:
No amount of marketing/promotion will make a poor man part with funds for his next meal or rent
Most Africans live from day to day.
They simply do not have the extra funds for "luxury"
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

fabio wrote:
kajifu wrote:Tufiakwa if we take ANC outside Africa.So we go and promote others economy to grow and our own suffer?
When SA host ANC, its stadium full because most Africans are in SA and south Africans get knock down price.

Egypt situation most people never forget what happen in history,its well documented how Egyptian Pharaohs has foreign slaves .Most people might be scared to go to Egypt and get caught as slaves.
The point is lost on those who are want AFCON outside Africa.
True.
However, running away from Naija to Europe/US, with your big degree, has the same effect.
Should that be banned?
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Rawlings wrote:
aruako1 wrote:It is a question of organisation and mobilisation. There should be marketing efforts targeted towards attendance such as star players showing up for promotional events, discounts and incentives for attendance (attendees can get into draws to win sponsor products for example). Again, qualification and the draws should be wrapped up earlier to allow fans who want to attend to plan. This was the issue for me. The time between the draws and the actual start of the tournament was you short. In contrast, I had several months to plan my trip to the WC in Russia.
No amount of marketing/promotion will make a poor man part with funds for his next meal or rent
You are correct that I have never been poor. But I have lived in Itire and very close to Orile (ask Lagosians about both neighbourhoods) and I have had my rough moments. Then how does Wizkid sell out huge venues in Lagos? Tell me how Lagos, Calabar and Port Harcourt were sold out during Nigeria 99. People need to be excited about the tournament. And of course pricing has to be right.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Rawlings wrote:
fabio wrote:
kajifu wrote:Tufiakwa if we take ANC outside Africa.So we go and promote others economy to grow and our own suffer?
When SA host ANC, its stadium full because most Africans are in SA and south Africans get knock down price.

Egypt situation most people never forget what happen in history,its well documented how Egyptian Pharaohs has foreign slaves .Most people might be scared to go to Egypt and get caught as slaves.
The point is lost on those who are want AFCON outside Africa.
True.
However, running away from Naija to Europe/US, with your big degree, has the same effect.
Should that be banned?
He sends remittances.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

aruako1 wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
You are correct that I have never been poor. But I have lived in Itire and very close to Orile (ask Lagosians about both neighbourhoods) and I have had my rough moments. Then how does Wizkid sell out huge venues in Lagos? Tell me how Lagos, Calabar and Port Harcourt were sold out during Nigeria 99. People need to be excited about the tournament. And of course pricing has to be right.
Comparing akara & akamo ? (Oyibo says apples to oranges)
Wizkid sells out huge venues in Lagos because it is a one-time event that requires minimal travel
The discussion is about a 2-4 week tournament that requires plane & hotel tickets
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Fortunately Rawlings is on my ignore list.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Rawlings wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
Wizkid sells out huge venues in Lagos because it is a one-time event that requires minimal travel
The discussion is about a 2-4 week tournament that requires plane & hotel tickets
I was talking about local participation i.e. getting the locals to cone out to watch games. If you live in Accra, do you need plane tickets and hotel accommodation to watch a game in Accra?
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

aruako1 wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
I was talking about local participation i.e. getting the locals to cone out to watch games. If you live in Accra, do you need plane tickets and hotel accommodation to watch a game in Accra?
topic of discussion is the low attendance at AFCON (not local matches)
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Rawlings wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
Rawlings wrote:
topic of discussion is the low attendance at AFCON (not local matches)
Do I really have to break it down to you? Wouldn't getting local fans from the host nation to attend help? Maybe you should stick to trolling.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

aruako1, please don't wait your time.

The organisers could have reduced the tickets to the barest minimum or give women and school children free entry.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

There are two different facets to this argument:
1) getting fans from the other participating nations to travel to Afcon - this has been a perennial problem and I think you have hit on the main reasons, namely poverty (number one issue) and logistics. It is quite difficult to get to Egypt from most other African countries. My experience with the fan clubs of the other nations has always been that they are either relatively well off individuals, or else paid or subsidised by the FA to represent them.

2) getting local fans to watch the games which do not involve the host nation - I think here Egypt has lacked in organisation and internal marketing. The prices are not too high for locals (I am thinking medium income earners, not poverty line) so it seems they have failed slightly to up the hype. Having said that I think one of the main problems is that the games are all being played in major cities and not really on the outer regions where locals might have more pride and interest to watch the games.

My experience in the last AFCON held in North Africa (Tunisia 2003) is that stadia will fill up a bit more for crunch matches in the knockout rounds. Hopefully this will also be true this time around.

Keep in mind though that Egypt is also going through turbulent times, locals might also be a bit wary of going to public places with risk of attacks.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

aruako1 wrote:[
Do I really have to break it down to you? Wouldn't getting local fans from the host nation to attend help? Maybe you should stick to trolling.
You think local fans are interested in Mali-Mauritania, Congo DR - Uganda, Tanazia, Kenya, Burundi etc

Be real Bro
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

Rawlings wrote:
You think local fans are interested in Mali-Mauritania, Congo DR - Uganda, Tanazia, Kenya, Burundi etc

Be real Bro
Rawlings, but this is the problem. You need to hype it up, also getting people to be proud that heir country is organising such a major event. Involve the schools and the grassroot nurseries. Let them in for free if need be....

Look at the women’s world cup in France - most of the supporters at the games are french.... there were loads of people even if for dead rubber games...
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Rawlings wrote:

Be real Bro
Yes. If you hype the games well people will come.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Paveman wrote:
Rawlings wrote:

Be real Bro
Rawlings, but this is the problem. You need to hype it up, also getting people to be proud that heir country is organising such a major event. Involve the schools and the grassroot nurseries. Let them in for free if need be....

Look at the women’s world cup in France - most of the supporters at the games are french.... there were loads of people even if for dead rubber games...
Bro, you can't hype up a known "bad" product.
E.g. Do you think Nigerians will pay to go watch Mali play Mauritania? Egyptians are no different.
If one of the teams had a famous star e.g. Salah, Mane, then that might be a different story.
Many years ago, neutrals fans went to see a bad Liberian team, just because they had Weah
Today...not so much

Note: France has a huge immigrant community. Cameronians in France went to watch their team.
Cameronians in Cameroon were looking for visas to escape poverty :winking:
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Rawlings wrote:
Paveman wrote:
Rawlings wrote:

Be real Bro

Bro, you can't hype up a known "bad" product.
E.g. Do you think Nigerians will pay to go watch Mali play Mauritania? Egyptians are no different.
If one of the teams had a famous star e.g. Salah, Mane, then that might be a different story.
Many years ago, neutrals fans went to see a bad Liberian team, just because they had Weah
Today...not so much

Note: France has a huge immigrant community. Cameronians in France went to watch their team.
Cameronians in Cameroon were looking for visas to escape poverty :winking:
Nigerians will watch Mali v Mauritania if they think that it will be a safe family environment. Get influencers like top musicians to watch games and even perform at half time and people will flock to the stadiums and once they get there they will just enjoy the football. Make people adopt teams if Nigeria is not playing at the venue.