The countries that could deny us a fourth AFCON title

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
The countries that could deny us a fourth AFCON title

Post by Scipio Africanus »

1. Egypt.

I cannot remember the last time we beat Egypt, or scored more than once against them. I hope another team dumps them out, and we don't have to meet them in the knockout stages. Let's face it, we are not a free scoring team, and we would need lots of goals to beat Egypt.

2. Senegal

This team scares me. They have solid defenders, which does not augur well for our goal shy team. They have a dangerous midfield including Gueye and Kouyate who can take over any game, then they have Sarr, Diatta and last but not least Mane upfront. I also do not want to meet this team.

Lesser threats

Algeria
CIV
Cameroon

Wha choo looking at?!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Re: The countries that could deny us a fourth AFCON title

Post by Tobi17 »

Morocco as well
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Tobi17 wrote:Morocco as well
Possibly, but we have always handled them. They don't scare me.

Wha choo looking at?!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

And I am sure those those teams are at home praying they meet us. We are the most dangerous team in this tournament. I am not afraid of any team.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Senegal and Egypt. Senegal is probably the favorite. Algeria is not a threat, not even sure they will make it past the 2nd round. Maybe Ivory Coast and Cameroon. Ghana could also rebound.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

1naija wrote:And I am sure those those teams are at home praying they meet us. We are the most dangerous team in this tournament. I am not afraid of any team.
for once you're right, una team looks super solid in midfield and defense, if the attack begins to klick, i can't see anyone stopping you.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

of course a lot of soccer to be played but in these early stages these teams despite their minor to major flaws, looks the best to me, in my expert opinion

Naija see previous post
Mali (don't think they are ready for prime time, may be a tournament away)
Senegal (if Mane is off, I worry their other attackers are too wasteful)
Cameroon (this team will be super difficult to breakdown but look inept in attack, then again they were pretty inept when they won the whole thing last time)
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

1naija wrote:And I am sure those those teams are at home praying they meet us. We are the most dangerous team in this tournament. I am not afraid of any team.
Have to agree, but our SE needs to sharpen the counter attack. Too many wasted opportunities on that front.
Whenever the SE finally learn to execute a counter attack, that's when our football can be said to have arrived.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

joao wrote:
Have to agree, but our SE needs to sharpen the counter attack. Too many wasted opportunities on that front.
Whenever the SE finally learn to execute a counter attack, that's when our football can be said to have arrived.

I just realized how deep Nigeria is upfront, when Kalu came on. Coach need to bench Ighalo. He needs players that would make the most of their chances. At the rate henry is a better option.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

The eventual Champion will come from one of Egypt, Senegal, Nigeria, Cameroon, and maaaaaayyyyybbbbeeee CIV. So IMO those are the teams that can deny us.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Anyone can stop anyone’s dreams so why dwell on it, we can only deal with one game at a time, in 2013 many Nigerians threw in the towel after Nigeria got through their group with two 1-1 draws in a row then a not so convincing win against Ethiopia, roll on Quarter Final, Drogba’s CIV was the team to fear back then and some CE members where backing them to win the whole thing,Nigeria went into that Quarter Final as underdogs but come out like pit balls victorious and the rest well you tell it.......
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

If we were a more free scoring team, they should have just mailed us the damn trophy because our defense is among the best, if not the best in this AFCON. However, like I said, we have goal scoring problems. I would like to see us not rest anybody against Madagascar abi na Mauritania and try to get that attack clicking. I want at least a 3-0 win.

Wha choo looking at?!
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

:clap:
Eaglezbeak wrote:Anyone can stop anyone’s dreams so why dwell on it, we can only deal with one game at a time, in 2013 many Nigerians threw in the towel after Nigeria got through their group with two 1-1 draws in a row then a not so convincing win against Ethiopia, roll on Quarter Final, Drogba’s CIV was the team to fear back then and some CE members where backing them to win the whole thing,Nigeria went into that Quarter Final as underdogs but come out like pit balls victorious and the rest well you tell it.......
:clap: :clap: Well said like they say the rest is history.Last ANC people write Cameroon off and some how they win the ANC
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Scipio Africanus wrote:1. Egypt.

I cannot remember the last time we beat Egypt, or scored more than once against them. I hope another team dumps them out, and we don't have to meet them in the knockout stages. Let's face it, we are not a free scoring team, and we would need lots of goals to beat Egypt.

2. Senegal

This team scares me. They have solid defenders, which does not augur well for our goal shy team. They have a dangerous midfield including Gueye and Kouyate who can take over any game, then they have Sarr, Diatta and last but not least Mane upfront. I also do not want to meet this team.

Lesser threats

Algeria
CIV
Cameroon

I KPOM the post. As of TODAY you are correct.

However, any thing is possible but I certainly agree that we would rather meet any of those two in the final game itself. We could beat those teams on a good day. Moreover, we could also lose to a team that we do not anticipate as being strong.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:Morocco as well
Possibly, but we have always handled them. They don't scare me.
Same with Algeria, we have not lost to Algeria since the 1990 Afcon final match. FIFA gave them a walkover for us fielding an ineligible player during the 2018 World Cup qualifying phase.
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

2. Senegal

Lesser threats

Algeria
CIV
Cameroon
You see Cameroon as a lesser threat, ei go do you like film tricks
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

King Futcha wrote:of course a lot of soccer to be played but in these early stages these teams despite their minor to major flaws, looks the best to me, in my expert opinion

Naija see previous post
Mali (don't think they are ready for prime time, may be a tournament away)
Senegal (if Mane is off, I worry their other attackers are too wasteful)
Cameroon (this team will be super difficult to breakdown but look inept in attack, then again they were pretty inept when they won the whole thing last time)
They generally dont miss these many chances. I think the attack will get better as the tournamnet goes on. Its more superior than in 2017.
Last edited by The Goddess on Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

Na only 1-0 wins against mínors di make you this confident?
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

The Goddess wrote:

2. Senegal

Lesser threats

Algeria
CIV
Cameroon
You see Cameroon as a lesser threat, ei go do you like film tricks
Dear Goddess,

We scored more goals against Cameroon (WCQ) in one game than we have scored in our last 4 games. :mrgreen:

Now we might still lose to Cameroon in some alternate universe, but I highly doubt it. :mrgreen:

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

The Goddess wrote:
Don't mind Uncle 1Kobo. Most times it is the Johnny Walker doing the talking when he hits the keyboard :laugh:

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote:

2. Senegal

Lesser threats

Algeria
CIV
Cameroon

However, any thing is possible but I certainly agree that we would rather meet any of those two in the final game itself. We could beat those teams on a good day. Moreover, we could also lose to a team that we do not anticipate as being strong.
Thanks most esteemed Professor.

I am in two minds about Egypt. One day I am wary of them and another day I say bring them on. If we beat them convincingly it will do wonders for team morale that will last for years. So you know what, I say bring them on!

Wha choo looking at?!
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

2. Senegal

Lesser threats

Algeria
CIV
Cameroon

Thanks most esteemed Professor.

I am in two minds about Egypt. One day I am wary of them and another day I say bring them on. If we beat them convincingly it will do wonders for team morale that will last for years. So you know what, I say bring them on!
Egypt just like any host country will always be difficult to beat but it is doable. One thing is certain should Egypt and Nigeria meet at any point in the competition nobody is beating anybody convincingly if by that you mean with a lot of goals. That you can take to the bank.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

The Goddess wrote:

Auntie, no be una say there are no minnows in African football anymore?. Besides we know when to turn it on and put 4 past top dogs, if you know what I mean ... :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :D
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.