Ighalo

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mystic
Egg
Egg
Re: Ighalo

Post by mystic »

Bell wrote:
muzines wrote:I just saw the highlights of the game and one moment stuck out to me. In the first half, we had a break away with Ighalo and Musa. All Ighalo had to do was pass to Musa for a wide open net and he chose to shoot into the side netting. What the hell was that? I think he needs to be benched again due to that one error, because that was a guaranteed goal.

This type of selfishness is like a cancer that can screw up the team, and that should not be allowed.
TWO REASONS IGHALO MAY NOT HAVE PASSED (AS I SAW IT)

1) With Guinean defenders swarming the box, a pass to Musa may have been intercepted.
2) Go back to the tape: a pass to Musa could have resulted in an offside infraction.
Bell

Musa was not offside. Ighalo was so focused on scoring that he didn't see the opportunity to pass. Ordinarily, you don't have a problem with your top striker being so selfish, but Ighalo was shooting from a difficult angle and Musa was so wide open. Ighalo has simply got to see him and make that pass. There is no excuse for that.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Cellular wrote:
truetalk wrote:Osimhen should be in the mix.

If you're good enough, you're old enough.
Hope Osimhen gets to start against a team we don't need the match to top our group. Problem go dey if he scores multiple goals...

But Ighalo is still our best striker as a lone striker. You have to appreciate the work he puts in. Very very strong on the ball and his runs are a beauty to behold.

Ighalo is indeed our best striker, while Osimhen is our most talented. However, I expect Onuachu to start against Madagascar. Osimhen likely comes off the bench or steps into the fray in the knockout rounds.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

I have only seen the first half thus far. Ighalo is joke, Rohr must be his step dad or something. There is no way this boy is better than Osihem or even Onyekuru ( I am aware he is not a striker).
muzines
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by muzines »

mystic wrote:
Bell wrote:
muzines wrote:I just saw the highlights of the game and one moment stuck out to me. In the first half, we had a break away with Ighalo and Musa. All Ighalo had to do was pass to Musa for a wide open net and he chose to shoot into the side netting. What the hell was that? I think he needs to be benched again due to that one error, because that was a guaranteed goal.

This type of selfishness is like a cancer that can screw up the team, and that should not be allowed.

1) With Guinean defenders swarming the box, a pass to Musa may have been intercepted.
2) Go back to the tape: a pass to Musa could have resulted in an offside infraction.
Bell

Musa was not offside. Ighalo was so focused on scoring that he didn't see the opportunity to pass. Ordinarily, you don't have a problem with your top striker being so selfish, but Ighalo was shooting from a difficult angle and Musa was so wide open. Ighalo has simply got to see him and make that pass. There is no excuse for that.
I agree completely. There is no way Ighalo didn’t see him. Against a very tough team, that can be the margin between a win or loss.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Conservative: a liberal who has been mugged by reality.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

green4life wrote:
theYemster wrote:
green4life wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:that was shocking from Ighalo.

Bench him ?

hmm. Even in the few minutes Onuachu was on the pitch he displayed his poor lack of first touch.
I agree. Ighalo is still our best striker by a mile even with his stupidity today. At least until Osimehn fulfills his potential.
He has to play before he can fulfill it. Thankfully having qualified and looking all but sure to top the group, it might give Rohr the confidence to try him (and Onyekuru,, and Ezenwa) against Madagascar.

That said, I disagree that Ighalo is our best striker. He's out best targetman when mixing it up with physical defenders, and he is the best at playing with his back to goal and holding up play, however Osimhen is more clinical, and versatile. Heck even Musa when played up front, is more clinical than Ighalo who doesn't even pack a punch in his shots.

I could’ve sworn that Ighalo scored a bundle of goals that qualified us for this ANC.
Scoring is more important than the ferocity of the shot. That said, Ighalo reminds me of Giroud in that his goals are almost a bonus as the expectation is primarily on his overall play upfront with respect to bringing others in play and creating spaces for midfielders to exploit either through passing or shooting through his movement, workrate and holdup play. He will chip in with goals but that’s a small piece of what he does compared to the comprehensive view.
He's gotten the most opportunity so it makes sense he's scored the most goals of the lot. That doesn't mean he's the best. As I mentioned he has his strengths, one of which is his physicality and hold up play as a targetman, which makes him match up well in some games/teams like today's. However, as far as best striker goes, he's not as clinical as some of the others.

And I still stand by my earlier position that he's more effective when he comes off the bench after the defenders have possibly tired some.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Bell wrote:

Bell
Yes and deflected in for an own goal, or parried/deflected into Musa's path to score, just like it happened in the following game between Uganda and Zimbabwe.
Bell wrote: 2) Go back to the tape: a pass to Musa could have resulted in an offside infraction.
Bell
No, Musa was trailing Ighalo, he was never offside.

Even if Ighalo wanted to go for goal himself, he picked the worst possible angle to aim for. It was a low percentage shot. A far post shot could either go in, or be parried by the goalie (or like in the England game, ricochet off the upright) into Musa's path, or deflected by on rushing defender into his own goal.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Cellular wrote:

Yes, that was bad. But he did have a good game. Dude troubled the heck out of the 2 Guinean central defenders so much so both picked up cards defending him.

His hold up play is second to none. Strong on the ball and with one of the best first touches in traffic of any of our strikers.

He also worked his socks off.
KPOM!!
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

theYemster wrote:
green4life wrote:
theYemster wrote:
green4life wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:that was shocking from Ighalo.

Bench him ?

hmm. Even in the few minutes Onuachu was on the pitch he displayed his poor lack of first touch.
I agree. Ighalo is still our best striker by a mile even with his stupidity today. At least until Osimehn fulfills his potential.
He has to play before he can fulfill it. Thankfully having qualified and looking all but sure to top the group, it might give Rohr the confidence to try him (and Onyekuru,, and Ezenwa) against Madagascar.

That said, I disagree that Ighalo is our best striker. He's out best targetman when mixing it up with physical defenders, and he is the best at playing with his back to goal and holding up play, however Osimhen is more clinical, and versatile. Heck even Musa when played up front, is more clinical than Ighalo who doesn't even pack a punch in his shots.

I could’ve sworn that Ighalo scored a bundle of goals that qualified us for this ANC.
Scoring is more important than the ferocity of the shot. That said, Ighalo reminds me of Giroud in that his goals are almost a bonus as the expectation is primarily on his overall play upfront with respect to bringing others in play and creating spaces for midfielders to exploit either through passing or shooting through his movement, workrate and holdup play. He will chip in with goals but that’s a small piece of what he does compared to the comprehensive view.
He's gotten the most opportunity so it makes sense he's scored the most goals of the lot. That doesn't mean he's the best. As I mentioned he has his strengths, one of which is his physicality and hold up play as a targetman, which makes him match up well in some games/teams like today's. However, as far as best striker goes, he's not as clinical as some of the others.

And I still stand by my earlier position that he's more effective when he comes off the bench after the defenders have possibly tired some.
Chief Ighalo is the best Striker we have now,like Oga G4L said he is similar to Giroud,very good player but people don't see his other aspect he brings to the team.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

During the qualifiers for the 1994 World Cup, our front duo was Rasheed Yekini and Samson Siasia and they were lethal scoring goals. At a crucial away match in Abidjan (which we lost 1-2), Siasia had a chance like Ighalo's and should have passed to Yekini to score. Siasia did not. Clemence Westerhof berated him. Siasia replied that he did not see Yekini and that made Westerhof madder (see Westerhof's interview on this on Youtube). That was how Daniel Amokachi became Yekini's attacking partner not only in the 1994 CAN in Tunisia which we won, but also at the World Cup in the US.

Ighalo is lucky that Westerhof is not our current coach.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Musa was free on goal, watched the replay a few times, all Ighalo had to do was square the ball, Musa would have finished, Ighalo went for the near corner and ended up in side netting, all strikers are selfish, that must be said!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
muzines
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by muzines »

marko wrote:Musa was free on goal, watched the replay a few times, all Ighalo had to do was square the ball, Musa would have finished, Ighalo went for the near corner and ended up in side netting, all strikers are selfish, that must be said!
There is selfish, and then there is stupid. Selfish is allowed, stupid is not. That was stupid. It was a guaranteed goal.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

marko wrote:Musa was free on goal, watched the replay a few times, all Ighalo had to do was square the ball, Musa would have finished, Ighalo went for the near corner and ended up in side netting, all strikers are selfish, that must be said!
Sorry but that was a dumb play by Ighalo (whom I do appreciate as a player). Musa was open and clearly onside. The play for the early square cross was begging. Once Ighalo broke through and it was obviously a 2 v 1 deal, the next move should've been the cross in just inside the 18yd box but before the 6yd box leaving the goalie with zero chance to cut it off. But he decided to be greedy (clearly he saw Musa) and took 1 too many touches then took the shot from an ill advised angle perhaps after convincing himself that the window of opportunity was closed.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

green4life wrote:
Sorry but that was a dumb play by Ighalo (whom I do appreciate as a player). Musa was open and clearly onside. The play for the early square cross was begging. Once Ighalo broke through and it was obviously a 2 v 1 deal, the next move should've been the cross in just inside the 18yd box but before the 6yd box leaving the goalie with zero chance to cut it off. But he decided to be greedy (clearly he saw Musa) and took 1 too many touches then took the shot from an ill advised angle perhaps after convincing himself that the window of opportunity was closed.
Good points. And we wonder why we have problems scoring. Victor Moses did dis nonsense taya in the last WC, shooting from tight angles rather than play in a runner or square the damned ball.

It is a mentality problem.

Wha choo looking at?!
muzines
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by muzines »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
green4life wrote:
Good points. And we wonder why we have problems scoring. Victor Moses did dis nonsense taya in the last WC, shooting from tight angles rather than play in a runner or square the damned ball.

It is a mentality problem.
Victor Moses was the worst. I’m happy he’s no longer on the team, because he was just useless.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Don’t disrespect Moses he literally tore African teams even more than many legends
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Bell wrote:

Bell
This right here is the reason most of our players are dumb! Most of their career, they are surrounded by people like Uncle Bell AND sycophants (Bell is not a sycophant) always making excuses for them, so they never realize that they have to improve. what a shame!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

green4life wrote:
You expect Marko, who isn't the brightest crayon in the box, to recognize dumbness? O ma se o! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
kzz5joa
Egg
Egg

Post by kzz5joa »

deanotito wrote:That was just bad. He claims he didn’t see Musa but that’s hard to believe. The choice he made was so bad that it’s almost as if he hated Musa. Scoring from that angle is next to impossible
I get your point, but we shouldn't get too carried away. From the replays, it seems he only looked up toward the goal. It's quite possible that he was too focused on finding a scoring opportunity instead of checking his flank as well for better options. Instead, I believe is generally symptomatic of what ails our football because our players often seem unable to explore better options in the goal area.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

kzz5joa wrote:
deanotito wrote:That was just bad. He claims he didn’t see Musa but that’s hard to believe. The choice he made was so bad that it’s almost as if he hated Musa. Scoring from that angle is next to impossible
I get your point, but we shouldn't get too carried away. From the replays, it seems he only looked up toward the goal. It's quite possible that he was too focused on finding a scoring opportunity instead of checking his flank as well for better options. Instead, I believe is generally symptomatic of what ails our football because our players often seem unable to explore better options in the goal area.
Bros, there are a number of reasons for why what you say is implausible but in short....We may not at played at his level, but we’ve all played soccer before. And there is at most a 5% chance he didn’t see Musa...at most. Ighalo made his choice. It was a terribly poor one
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Kanu finished Ighalo lol
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
kzz5joa
Egg
Egg

Post by kzz5joa »

deanotito wrote:
kzz5joa wrote:
Bros, there are a number of reasons for why what you say is implausible but in short....We may not at played at his level, but we’ve all played soccer before. And there is at most a 5% chance he didn’t see Musa...at most. Ighalo made his choice. It was a terribly poor one
I agree it's easy to say that he intentionally ignored Musa. However, my postulation is based on the troubling trend that I feel is often displayed by our footballers. They often have this propensity to go for glory (like Sunday Oliseh's wonder strike against Spain in France 98) instead of simple combination plays that have higher conversion likelihood. As you said, it was a terrible choice, but I'm only exploring the possibility that a good number of our players fail to understand that assists are as important as goal scoring.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

[/quote]

Wouldnt surprise me if he is telling the truth. And that comes down to brainlessness. I dont mean that as an insult, I mean that as a player who is brainless in football. Some players, when they have the ball, are able to view the pitch and pick out the right decisions. Others, when they have the ball, are incapable of that. They look down and have a very narrow view...they cant see anything else but their narrow perspective.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

danfo driver wrote:
Wouldnt surprise me if he is telling the truth. And that comes down to brainlessness. I dont mean that as an insult, I mean that as a player who is brainless in football. Some players, when they have the ball, are able to view the pitch and pick out the right decisions. Others, when they have the ball, are incapable of that. They look down and have a very narrow view...they cant see anything else but their narrow perspective.[/quote]

But by his history, Ighalo is not “brainless”. He’s never struck me as such. So this one was a choice
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet