V.A.R

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enyi
Egg
Egg
V.A.R

Post by Enyi »

VAR is available from now....looking to see what role it will play....I think we will see a lot of Red cards and penalties, so the SE should beware.....

Please no hard tackles.....especially with Ndidi and Etebo....they are practically indispensable at present but could both not be available for the Semis (if we get there)

Good news is that it will beak up play and players can recover and hopefully negate the pace and hustle of the Bafana Bafana

SE should make use of it....call every VAR call they can....unless we are hammering them.
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
waka-man
Egg
Egg
Re: V.A.R

Post by waka-man »

I think the only things you can prepare for are keeping your hands to your side on crosses if you’re in the box and keeper staying on the line during pens.
Everything else is just play your game.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

The level of tackling that has gone unpunished is quite high and a lot of them are red cards or yellow at least.... don’t know how African refs will react with VAR....

At the FWWC’19 the refs just stopped doing their jobs waiting for VAR to bail them out.....

Thank Goodness we are not the first game....by the time of kick-off we should know
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I for one have enjoyed the tournament without VAR

Refs have done a decent job except for 1 or 2 games. Dont think its needed, it makes more controversy not less.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

I’m dreading the introduction of VAR. Yes, it would’ve helped Ghana in their last game and possibly Tunisia as well with the PK call but in totality, there has been little talking points from referee errors leading to a relatively peaceful tournament. VAR as implemented is a blight on the sport.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

green4life wrote:I’m dreading the introduction of VAR. Yes, it would’ve helped Ghana in their last game and possibly Tunisia as well with the PK call but in totality, there has been little talking points from referee errors leading to a relatively peaceful tournament. VAR as implemented is a blight on the sport.
I hear you bros, not ready for 10+ minutes of stoppage time because of multiple VAR checks, but if it saves our hides i'll take it...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

green4life wrote:I’m dreading the introduction of VAR. Yes, it would’ve helped Ghana in their last game and possibly Tunisia as well with the PK call but in totality, there has been little talking points from referee errors leading to a relatively peaceful tournament. VAR as implemented is a blight on the sport.
Totally agree.... hopefully the refs stick to their guns and do what they have done so far....their job

-Martin Luther King- Jr.

Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

After the Women's World Cup, it will definitely take a miracle of biblical proportions for me to trust VAR again. I am definitely not looking forward to it.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Isn't VAR initiated my the field referee - in most cases - except for goals and penalties? If so, it is still at the discretion of the referee who can choose to wave-off calls and et al.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

VAR can be your best friend or worst enemy
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Odas wrote:Isn't VAR initiated my the field referee - in most cases - except for goals and penalties? If so, it is still at the discretion of the referee who can choose to wave-off calls and et al.
At the Women world cup it wasn't the ref that initiated it

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

olu wrote:VAR can be your best friend or worst enemy
Fact not feelings!

Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Robbynice wrote:
olu wrote:VAR can be your best friend or worst enemy
Fact not feelings!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Robby, Robby! Okay-oo!!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Scrap it.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Even though it went against us today VAR got it right.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

green4life wrote:Even though it went against us today VAR got it right.
I concur. It work for us in the future I have no doubt about it.

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

How on earth did VAR not spot that nasty stamp by Hlanti on Awaziem's ankle? That was ankle breaker stuff and should have been a straight red. He did not even get a yellow! :shock: It was very similar to that Matuidi "tackle" on Onazi at the 2014 WC.
Enyi wrote:The level of tackling that has gone unpunished is quite high and a lot of them are red cards or yellow at least.... don’t know how African refs will react with VAR....

At the FWWC’19 the refs just stopped doing their jobs waiting for VAR to bail them out.....

Thank Goodness we are not the first game....by the time of kick-off we should know
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

wiseone wrote:How on earth did VAR not spot that nasty stamp by Hlanti on Awaziem's ankle? That was ankle breaker stuff and should have been a straight red. He did not even get a yellow! :shock: It was very similar to that Matuidi "tackle" on Onazi at the 2014 WC.
Enyi wrote:The level of tackling that has gone unpunished is quite high and a lot of them are red cards or yellow at least.... don’t know how African refs will react with VAR....

Don’t think VAR is being used outside the box in AFCON......more importantly, why do they need an European to watch over them when using the damn thing

-Martin Luther King- Jr.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Enyi wrote:
wiseone wrote:How on earth did VAR not spot that nasty stamp by Hlanti on Awaziem's ankle? That was ankle breaker stuff and should have been a straight red. He did not even get a yellow! :shock: It was very similar to that Matuidi "tackle" on Onazi at the 2014 WC.

Don’t think VAR is being used outside the box in AFCON......more importantly, why do they need an European to watch over them when using the damn thing
Well it may be just one round of using the VAR at the AFCON but it has been better than the crappy way it was used at the WWC .
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I noticed that too! European refs were leading the VAR teams. Also, Zambian referee Janny Sikazwe has been officiating at this AFCON (as on-field referee and as VAR). Wasn't this chap suspended on corruption allegations?...

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/caf-sus ... glcdm89xlr
Enyi wrote: Don’t think VAR is being used outside the box in AFCON......more importantly, why do they need an European to watch over them when using the damn thing