Nigeria 2-1 South Africa : FT(Samu, Ekong...VAR)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria 2-1 South Africa : FT(Samu, Ekong...VAR)

Post by Odas »

Dammy wrote:While we're busy slagging off our team, I visited foreign sites, BBC rated us highly, even the notoriously stingy, tuttomercatoweb.com rated our players with the exception of Ighalo highly. The SA coach, said he could not find any positives for his team and tipped Nigeria for the final.
Aaaaaa, ha! Yet some people are here finding faults in everything our players do/did
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Dammy wrote:While we're busy slagging off our team, I visited foreign sites, BBC rated us highly, even the notoriously stingy, tuttomercatoweb.com rated our players with the exception of Ighalo highly. The SA coach, said he could not find any positives for his team and tipped Nigeria for the final.
We played welll today, but the fact is that the team is still evolving. We have not won any game convincingly. Even the players will agree. Fans should be allowed to be honest even when they support and celebrate with the team. Of course the insults are threats are not acceptable.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Before that Madagascar game, we had scored 2 goals in 2 games.

After that Madagascar game, we have scored 5 goals in 2 games.
Yes, losses matter, but it matters more the lessons you learn from them.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Against Iceland, Musa and Kelechi played centrally in a 3-5-2, Ighalo came off the bench.
oloye wrote:
marko wrote:Look at the goals Musa scored at the world cup, he was direct, 1st goal against Iceland in the box, his anticipation, the cool finishing, the ones against Argentina, running direct at defences, why is he wasted on the wings? That pace will get us free kicks, penalties, look at his acceleration, leaves defenders for dead, dont think we use him well
And you refuse to acknowledge where he ran from. Why do you folks like to massage the truth. The goals you mentioned where did he cut in from? If I remember Ighalo was the number 9 in the Iceland game and against Argentina we had a certain Ogna na chance as the striker, so he played also from the same position, wings. That you put a striker on the wings does not mean he is a winger... Is Sallah a winger, is Thierry Henry a winger? You won't even call Chukwueze a winger. We played 3 attackers.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Any video of the game?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

aruako1 wrote:
We played welll today, but the fact is that the team is still evolving. We have not won any game convincingly. Even the players will agree. Fans should be allowed to be honest even when they support and celebrate with the team. Of course the insults are threats are not acceptable.

I agree that this team is very much a work in progress. We are very far from our ceiling.
But the buttom line is that the FA, technical advisors and coaching staff have done a fabulous job of building a very solid foundation and core team for us to build on.

Keep this team and coach together, and in 2 years, we should be considered a favorite for the quarter finals or semis at the next world cup.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

theYemster wrote:So Senegal could foreseeably get to the final playing Uganda, Benin and Madagascar while Nigeria might have to go through Cameroon, South Africa and Algeria/CIV.

Ain't that sumtn? :?
I feel Madagascar will be knocked out by Tunisia, who will also knock out Senegal. Tunisia will make the final.

I am reasonably confident we can beat either Algeria or Civ.

I am calling it now. Nigeria vs Tunisia in the final.

Wha choo looking at?!
Goalgetter
Egg
Egg

Post by Goalgetter »

The final will be between two teams that were at the 2018 worldcup. No two ways about it!
Are you saying that things you do not know, do not exist, just because you do not know that they exist?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Many years ago, a CyberEagles Member (I cant remember his name) said, and I quote:
I know what I saw. I saw what I saw. What I saw is what I saw. I do not need a white man to tell me what I saw.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

oloye wrote:When we attack we simply do not have enough options in the box.
I can’t kpom this hard enough. :agree:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

green4life wrote:
oloye wrote:When we attack we simply do not have enough options in the box.
I can’t kpom this hard enough. :agree:
Yet, some people want to mortgage our future on this outdated coach. smh
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria 1-0 South Africa : Match thread 1H

Post by green4life »

Enyi wrote:I feel like I am watching SE vs Argentina all over again....Rohr is about to kill us. What is Musa still doing on the pitch....Ighalo has done nothing....

U have Onyekuru, Kalu, Moses, Oshimen on the bench change something....
This. Notwithstanding squeezing out today’s win, Rohr took a step back today. He was 10/10 for his management of the Cameroon game though. Here’s to hoping for consistent improvement from Rohr.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria 1-0 South Africa : Match thread 1H

Post by green4life »

Samora Machel wrote:Game on
Game off. :taunt:
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria 1-1 South Africa : 2HT

Post by green4life »

Samora Machel wrote:I thought we would miss Ithumelang Khune but this young boy Williams looks to have a bright and promising future
Come again :lol:
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigeria vs South Africa : Match thread

Post by Mr Shows »

Mr Shows wrote:
Robbynice wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:I said my preferred line up... haba...

As noted, we all know the line up will be

********** Igahlo************

Musa****** Iwobi**** Etebo*****Simom

*************** Ndidi****************

Aina*****Ekong ******Omerou***** Awaziem

*********** Akpeyi**********************

QED
There is no need to be posting preferred lineup. This is not fantasy football. Lets focus and be realistic. Lets discuss how Chief coach Rohr will line awon boys up tomorrow.
Robby which one... you don dey tense already. The boys will step it up tomorrow. We just have to be prepared for a battle.. The Bafana have improved but if we are up for it, we will shade it 2-1
Robby I no talk am :thumbs: :thumb:
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Goldleaf wrote:
txj wrote:
Schillachi wrote:
oloye wrote:
marko wrote:I thought Musa ran the south African player ragged and cant understand why he was subbed
Yes he did a great job on the guy, but it became frustrating watching him do all the work and no end product. I was almost losing my mind watching him get to vantage position only to cross to no one... In essence he was doing nothing, the ball was ending in a less dangerous area from a dangerous position.

A coach has to do something to stop the madness, before everyone lose their minds from expectations that was never there. Haba almost tore all my hair out. He did well, but his final decisions were poor.

How about not starting Musa on the wings..
Don't get too caught up on positions. Look at the role too. He does play close to Ighalo sometimes...

His delivery is far too inconsistent. BUT...

There is also not enough effort on the other side of the ball to get up there for his delivery...

They need to work together in training. Ighalo can't seem to read what Musa will do. Ighalo should actually be in box 6 when Musa hits box 18. Brown Ideye was good at that. Check Ideye'sgoal against Mali in AFCON 2013 semi-final.
How about ighalo take off once he sees Musa turn on the afterburners rather than scratching his nyash 18 yds from the goal post. Others should feel free to support the play. The fact that you aren’t a striker doesn’t mean you can’t get in the box to support the wing play.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Ighalo is so slow in getting into the box to connect those dangerous passes and crosses the likes of Samu and Musa were providing for him... I don't what it is with this anticipation, or maybe he's wary of been caught in offside positions? there was a good pass Chukwueze gave him across the face of goal, if Ighalo had kept up the pace enough, he would have connected that pass for an easy goal as the SA goal keeper was well beaten... he needs to improve more in that area.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Musa is most effective playing central but Rohr is sold on his experience hence why he accommodates him playing on the wings. He simply needs to start him on the bench and rotate him with Ighalo..

Rohr is yet to perfect the fluidity of our transition play in the final third. However, he sets up his team in a particular way and knows the player Who can best interpret it.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

COOKING SPOON wrote:
Long live Papillo :thumbs:
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

What if we meet Madagascar in the final?
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

aruako1 wrote:
We played welll today, but the fact is that the team is still evolving.
  • We have not won any game convincingly.
Even the players will agree. Fans should be allowed to be honest even when they support and celebrate with the team. Of course the insults are threats are not acceptable.
It was a comfortable win though even if not convincing enough.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Tobi17 wrote:Ighalo is so slow in getting into the box to connect those dangerous passes and crosses the likes of Samu and Musa were providing for him... I don't what it is with this anticipation, or maybe he's wary of been caught in offside positions? there was a good pass Chukwueze gave him across the face of goal, if Ighalo had kept up the pace enough, he would have connected that pass for an easy goal as the SA goal keeper was well beaten... he needs to improve more in that area.
I'm not sure this was a game suited to Ighalo's strengths.
Ighalo is a bruiser so don't expect that from him. He's much more effective against physical defenders. Musa and Chukwueze are at too fast for him when playing on the break.

This is why I felt Rohr screwed up not trying out Onyekuru and/or Osimhen against Madagascar. Musa playing up the middle with Onyekuru wide left and them switching intermittently might be a better option when pace is required. Also, one of Etebo and Ndidi (possibly the former cos he's faster) should support our fast break plays along with Iwobi.

That's the counter attacking half sets that the team should work on.

I think Ighalo should play alongside a support striker to profit off his hold up play as knockdowns (the way Siasia then later Amokachi successfully played beside Yekini). This means either of Musa or Chukwueze should give way for Osimhen, or Onyekuru. My pick would be Musa cos his runs aren't converting to legit goal scoring opportunities anyways. And with Collins playing at LB, I feel we can risk pulling Musa without losing much offensively or defensively. Same cannot be said of the right side. Awaziem provides nothing offensively so removing Sumu could be counterproductive.

I would've suggested Etebo but the double pivot seems to work well for us shielding our shaky goalie, and I believe it's the reason for our did defence all tourney.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Nkume wrote:What if we meet Madagascar in the final?

Then there is cheating in CAF.