Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:07 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Musa is not a Winger
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:35 pm
Posts: 569
danfo driver wrote:
Schillachi wrote:
Everytime he looks up, Ighalo is not open. So he has to execute a low percentage pass that he does not have the skill for..


then you hold on to the foooking ball. how the hell do you make a pass, when no one is available? that is literally giving the ball to your opponent.

Well said! Very frustrating player to watch! This guy is not 18. It is a very simple concept. Hold the ball till you have a very good option to pass, if you don't have the option, then don't pass! He should also learn to preserve his energy, he should know when to run and when not to. If you team mates are all behind and three defenders are waiting in the box, why waste energy out running your marker only to cross into the box???


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musa is not a Winger
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 10:44 am
Posts: 1800
Musa is not a winger. The problem is that Rohr is using him as a supplier when really he should be cutting in to either shoot or make one final pass. It does not help that Musa is delivering the pass with his weak foot. He would most likely make far better passes if he was playing on the left and not on the right.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musa is not a Winger
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:43 pm
Posts: 5516
ANC wrote:
He should just shoot the ball.



IT LOOKS LIKE...


...the man doesn't trust his right foot. Quite a few times, he beat his man cutting to the right and it looks line a lane to shoot would appear. But then, instead taking the shot he would look to pass in the 18. Most of the times, the pass didn't connect.
Bell

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:01 am
Posts: 48970
Scipio Africanus wrote:
Musa roasted the SA right back all day. Now knowing dis, at least one player should escort him very closely and stay just off of Musa's right shoulder. When Musa is about to send in one of his okirika crosses, the escorter should shout : "Oga Musa, abeg I dey hia o!".


Or

All the SE players should crowd the box when Musa is doing his thing on the left, and ANTICIPATE i.e look to feed off scraps.


Or

Just play him centrally and give up the opportunities he creates out on the left. Me I no like dis wan too much.
...that there is what should have been happening since his mesmerizing moves take time to develop, and everyone already knows he'll beat that SA right back.

I suspect Ighalo and the rest of the support strkers were tired, and I was dreading over time. The coach made a wise decision to sub at the right time.
I was resigned to if we lose, so be it. It ain't easy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musa is not a Winger
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 3:11 pm
Posts: 2419
Schillachi wrote:
It's pretty clear to the blind that Musa is not a winger. Rohr, wake up for goodness sake. Start Musa in middle and let Ighalo start from the bench.


Bros,

None of our on the bench players could have run Mkhized ragged and created the "express road" on that SA right-back the way Musa did, not even Moses Simon, Kalu nor Onyekuru. If he can learn to address his finishing, he'll be a versatile attacker. Even if you put him in the middle, Musa's finishing is still suspect. He doesn't look up much to decide the precise spot to place the ball. In 2004 when we played SA 2-2 in Uyo, Musa alone should have put us 3-0 up by the first half; blasted the first to hit the bar, blasted the second & third to hit the keeper's body when a good chip would have landed the ball in the net on all 3 occasions.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musa is not a Winger
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 3:11 pm
Posts: 2419
green4life wrote:
His final ball wasn’t good today. Most of it was his fault but part of the problem is our reluctance to fill the attacking gaps in the last third with attacking options in their box or in midfield during counter attacking transitions. More options available to him will simplify his decision making ability.

Case in point is Raheem Sterling prior to Pep. Terrible decision making in the last third. Pep implements a setup where they fill gaps offensively and defensively. Raheem et al benefit. When Musa makes those runs the team doesn’t get runners from central midfield and the opposite wide area along with the CF entering the box in various gaps. Fill the gaps and his probability of connecting with a teammate increases. Just a thought.


In fact this was my opinion when I watched the game. I felt we did not have a disciplined way of following our wingers in attack. The moment we scored the first goal, it was obvious that the SA DMs were late in tracking a potential cut-backs from our wingers. I felt we needed to have a model where Ighalo advances to recieve the cross, Iwobi, Etobo & Chukwueze trails behind and fills strategic places for cut-backs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 3:11 pm
Posts: 2419
olu wrote:
What's the point of beating the FB if you can't make a simple pass or cross? Kalu if fit or Onyekuru may be more effective.


Few tots

1. Musa did extremely well in keeping the Mkhize & Hlatshwayo under pressure all through the game. This forced the SA midfield backwards and virtually for almost the entire game except for about a 15mins span when they came at us, SA was more worried about defending.

2. This approach reminds me of France 98 & Ghana/Nigeria 2000, where both France & Nigeria put the fastest men on the pitch Henry & Tijani Babangida against the opponents weakest spots in the defence (Ironically in both cases Mark Fish).

3. Kalu is slower, lesser experienced and did not show the "Heart" against Madagascar, no guarantees he'll be any different from Moses Simon's output - basic & not too inspiring.

4. Onyekuru according to Rohr, had not shown enough in training to displace any of the attackers so far.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 3:11 pm
Posts: 2419
mcal wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
Musa roasted the SA right back all day. Now knowing dis, at least one player should escort him very closely and stay just off of Musa's right shoulder. When Musa is about to send in one of his okirika crosses, the escorter should shout : "Oga Musa, abeg I dey hia o!".


Or

All the SE players should crowd the box when Musa is doing his thing on the left, and ANTICIPATE i.e look to feed off scraps.


Or

Just play him centrally and give up the opportunities he creates out on the left. Me I no like dis wan too much.
...that there is what should have been happening since his mesmerizing moves take time to develop, and everyone already knows he'll beat that SA right back.

I suspect Ighalo and the rest of the support strkers were tired, and I was dreading over time. The coach made a wise decision to sub at the right time.
I was resigned to if we lose, so be it. It ain't easy.


This was exactly what Portugal did when they won Euro 2016. Fast-pace and skillful wingers, the attackers and AMs support like a tidal wave (with the discipline to track back)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:31 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 40601
Location: UK
9jaMan wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
9jaMan wrote:
olu wrote:
What's the point of beating the FB if you can't make a simple pass or cross? Kalu if fit or Onyekuru may be more effective.




Sadly it seems Musa May be best as a sub. Rohr needs to hurry up and teach onyekuru how to play and play him or kalu on the left wing and chukwueze on the right.

Our attack should be

Chukwueze, Iwobinho, kalu/onyekuru

Ighalo/Osimhen



Musa as super sub
Simon as cheerleader
Onuachu as cheerleader

Stop the Simon hating, he might not be popular among the fans, but the Bobo has been silently effective. Needless to remind you that the same Simon has provided two assist from set pieces already.




Yes, thanks to Simon the SE made it to the semifinals, but that does not hide the fact that we have better players in the bench that can score and assist effortlessly. So what if the South African keeper was not daft? The game was going to penalties. Simon is good, but numbers don’t lie, when goal scoring is the issue, onyekuru, kalu, and osimhen are better options.
Says who?
Just so that we can give your prescription due regard, can you kindly respond to 1Naija's pertinent question from 3 days ago...
"Bros, what was the name of that team you coached to a championship again? I know you probably mention am before but I forgot ..."
:taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:45 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 40601
Location: UK
mcal wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
Musa roasted the SA right back all day. Now knowing dis, at least one player should escort him very closely and stay just off of Musa's right shoulder. When Musa is about to send in one of his okirika crosses, the escorter should shout : "Oga Musa, abeg I dey hia o!".


Or

All the SE players should crowd the box when Musa is doing his thing on the left, and ANTICIPATE i.e look to feed off scraps.


Or

Just play him centrally and give up the opportunities he creates out on the left. Me I no like dis wan too much.
...that there is what should have been happening since his mesmerizing moves take time to develop, and everyone already knows he'll beat that SA right back.

I suspect Ighalo and the rest of the support strkers were tired, and I was dreading over time. The coach made a wise decision to sub at the right time.
I was resigned to if we lose, so be it. It ain't easy.
Musa is too fast for Ighalo and probably to a lesser degree Iwobi.
So keeping up with him and 'crowding the box' is a problem.
Add to that the often poor delivery of Musa and its a case of hit and miss.

Osimhen and Onyekuru are speedy players and can probably crowd the box after a Musa Formula1 burst of speed, but Rohr thinks their physical presence isn't quite there yet.

They just need to keep experimenting.
Just as Oga Mikel has had to give way to allow a faster midfield transition, so does Baba Ighalo have to allow for a deadly, speedier strike force.

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:52 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:07 am
Posts: 43495
Like I would advice him, beat your man, cut across him inside, now you have two options, pass /Cross or go for goal.

_________________
Image
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:01 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:59 pm
Posts: 47267
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Damunk wrote:
mcal wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
Musa roasted the SA right back all day. Now knowing dis, at least one player should escort him very closely and stay just off of Musa's right shoulder. When Musa is about to send in one of his okirika crosses, the escorter should shout : "Oga Musa, abeg I dey hia o!".


Or

All the SE players should crowd the box when Musa is doing his thing on the left, and ANTICIPATE i.e look to feed off scraps.


Or

Just play him centrally and give up the opportunities he creates out on the left. Me I no like dis wan too much.
...that there is what should have been happening since his mesmerizing moves take time to develop, and everyone already knows he'll beat that SA right back.

I suspect Ighalo and the rest of the support strkers were tired, and I was dreading over time. The coach made a wise decision to sub at the right time.
I was resigned to if we lose, so be it. It ain't easy.
Musa is too fast for Ighalo and probably to a lesser degree Iwobi.
So keeping up with him and 'crowding the box' is a problem.
Add to that the often poor delivery of Musa and its a case of hit and miss.

Osimhen and Onyekuru are speedy players and can probably crowd the box after a Musa Formula1 burst of speed, but Rohr thinks their physical presence isn't quite there yet.

They just need to keep experimenting.
Just as Oga Mikel has had to give way to allow a faster midfield transition, so does Baba Ighalo have to allow for a deadly, speedier strike force.


Musa's game yesterday showed the limitation of Ighalo's game. He just didn't have the instinct or anticipation to feed off of Musa's hard work. And our 2 other midfielders were holding their positions to venture forward... I guess a concern about SA pace on the counter.

I was surprised how a winger like Chukwueze found himself in a central position to score... meaning that he was out of position. Happy for the goal but was wondering what the heck was he doing there.

_________________
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:23 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:46 pm
Posts: 60965
Cellular wrote:
Damunk wrote:
mcal wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
Musa roasted the SA right back all day. Now knowing dis, at least one player should escort him very closely and stay just off of Musa's right shoulder. When Musa is about to send in one of his okirika crosses, the escorter should shout : "Oga Musa, abeg I dey hia o!".


Or

All the SE players should crowd the box when Musa is doing his thing on the left, and ANTICIPATE i.e look to feed off scraps.


Or

Just play him centrally and give up the opportunities he creates out on the left. Me I no like dis wan too much.
...that there is what should have been happening since his mesmerizing moves take time to develop, and everyone already knows he'll beat that SA right back.

I suspect Ighalo and the rest of the support strkers were tired, and I was dreading over time. The coach made a wise decision to sub at the right time.
I was resigned to if we lose, so be it. It ain't easy.
Musa is too fast for Ighalo and probably to a lesser degree Iwobi.
So keeping up with him and 'crowding the box' is a problem.
Add to that the often poor delivery of Musa and its a case of hit and miss.

Osimhen and Onyekuru are speedy players and can probably crowd the box after a Musa Formula1 burst of speed, but Rohr thinks their physical presence isn't quite there yet.

They just need to keep experimenting.
Just as Oga Mikel has had to give way to allow a faster midfield transition, so does Baba Ighalo have to allow for a deadly, speedier strike force.


Musa's game yesterday showed the limitation of Ighalo's game. He just didn't have the instinct or anticipation to feed off of Musa's hard work. And our 2 other midfielders were holding their positions to venture forward... I guess a concern about SA pace on the counter.

I was surprised how a winger like Chukwueze found himself in a central position to score... meaning that he was out of position. Happy for the goal but was wondering what the heck was he doing there.


The coach probably encouraged him to make those runs. I heard he was playing a central role just behind Ighalo in training.

_________________
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musa is not a Winger
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:15 pm
Posts: 116
jungle-jawara wrote:
I don't know why this is hard to digest, Musa is too fast for our striker. Or should I say Ighalo is too slow for Musa. Musa runs, gets up front, and Ighalo is nowhere to be found. For heaven's sake, the defenders get there before Ighalo. Did u not notice when our team was upset and started looking for other options rather than Ighalo? I know we don't have a Martin's in this team, but imagine if it was Martin's Musa was paired with up front. Just denied the guy of atleast two assist.

I agree, Ighalo was way behind the play on quite a few occasions. Chukwueze gave him what should have been a tap in, but he was too slow.
To play to Musa's strengths and Chukwueze's(I'm assuming he's in the first eleven now :biggrin: ), we need a third forward who's more mobile and faster than Ighalo.
Ideally, that third forward should be flexible enough to swap positions with either of them during a game.
Ighalo has his strong points, but I feel going forward our attack needs to be more dynamic and unpredictable, flexibility and mobility are key in that regard.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musa is not a Winger
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:42 pm
Posts: 6500
mutiman wrote:
jungle-jawara wrote:
I don't know why this is hard to digest, Musa is too fast for our striker. Or should I say Ighalo is too slow for Musa. Musa runs, gets up front, and Ighalo is nowhere to be found. For heaven's sake, the defenders get there before Ighalo. Did u not notice when our team was upset and started looking for other options rather than Ighalo? I know we don't have a Martin's in this team, but imagine if it was Martin's Musa was paired with up front. Just denied the guy of atleast two assist.

I agree, Ighalo was way behind the play on quite a few occasions. Chukwueze gave him what should have been a tap in, but he was too slow.
To play to Musa's strengths and Chukwueze's(I'm assuming he's in the first eleven now :biggrin: ), we need a third forward who's more mobile and faster than Ighalo.
Ideally, that third forward should be flexible enough to swap positions with either of them during a game.

Ighalo has his strong points, but I feel going forward our attack needs to be more dynamic and unpredictable, flexibility and mobility are key in that regard.



:clap:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musa is not a Winger
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:42 pm
Posts: 6500
Bell wrote:
AHMED MUSA IS A WINGER, A GOOD ONE, NOT A STRIKER


There's nothing about his play that suggests he's a striker. What's more, he did very well today getting past his marker although the finishing was poor, maybe because as some have pointed out, there weren't enough friends in the box. Not only that, it's a different mindset to be a striker, as you'll find if you study the best known strikers, and Ighalo is the closest in what it takes to be a striker in the SE.
Bell



He was the highest scorer in nigeria as a striker for pillars, it was keshi that started playing him as a striker after he did it for the u20s, so what are you talking about? winger is finidi, ohenhen, Friday Ekpo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musa is not a Winger
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:41 am
Posts: 39021
Location: Land of the Terrapins
mutiman wrote:
jungle-jawara wrote:
I don't know why this is hard to digest, Musa is too fast for our striker. Or should I say Ighalo is too slow for Musa. Musa runs, gets up front, and Ighalo is nowhere to be found. For heaven's sake, the defenders get there before Ighalo. Did u not notice when our team was upset and started looking for other options rather than Ighalo? I know we don't have a Martin's in this team, but imagine if it was Martin's Musa was paired with up front. Just denied the guy of atleast two assist.

I agree, Ighalo was way behind the play on quite a few occasions. Chukwueze gave him what should have been a tap in, but he was too slow.
To play to Musa's strengths and Chukwueze's(I'm assuming he's in the first eleven now :biggrin: ), we need a third forward who's more mobile and faster than Ighalo.
Ideally, that third forward should be flexible enough to swap positions with either of them during a game.
Ighalo has his strong points, but I feel going forward our attack needs to be more dynamic and unpredictable, flexibility and mobility are key in that regard.


Ol boy, this is what made the 2013 Moses-Emenike-Ideye combination so deadly, they popped up anywhere and either can be the assister or the scorer and were never static and none of them was overly selfish either...

_________________
Super Eagus 4 Life!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musa is not a Winger
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 pm
Posts: 13670
kali wrote:
Musa is not a winger. The problem is that Rohr is using him as a supplier when really he should be cutting in to either shoot or make one final pass. It does not help that Musa is delivering the pass with his weak foot. He would most likely make far better passes if he was playing on the left and not on the right.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: There is actually a living thing in this world who thinks this is true. smh

_________________
metalalloy wrote:
Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Musa is not a Winger
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:54 pm
Posts: 13613
osita wrote:
mutiman wrote:
jungle-jawara wrote:
I don't know why this is hard to digest, Musa is too fast for our striker. Or should I say Ighalo is too slow for Musa. Musa runs, gets up front, and Ighalo is nowhere to be found. For heaven's sake, the defenders get there before Ighalo. Did u not notice when our team was upset and started looking for other options rather than Ighalo? I know we don't have a Martin's in this team, but imagine if it was Martin's Musa was paired with up front. Just denied the guy of atleast two assist.

I agree, Ighalo was way behind the play on quite a few occasions. Chukwueze gave him what should have been a tap in, but he was too slow.
To play to Musa's strengths and Chukwueze's(I'm assuming he's in the first eleven now :biggrin: ), we need a third forward who's more mobile and faster than Ighalo.
Ideally, that third forward should be flexible enough to swap positions with either of them during a game.

Ighalo has his strong points, but I feel going forward our attack needs to be more dynamic and unpredictable, flexibility and mobility are key in that regard.



:clap:


I actually would not mind seeing Onyekuru or Osimhen replace Ighalo

_________________
NIGERIAN BADBOY!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 37 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group