Nigeria is Playing some ugly ball truth be told

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet
Nigeria is Playing some ugly ball truth be told

Post by ANC »

:rotf: :rotf:

But its results that matters.

:clap:
01bakana
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigeria is Playing some ugly ball truth be told

Post by 01bakana »

15-20 years ago, I probably would have screwed my nose at our performance. Now, I don't care! I just want that cup, end of.... Infact when we learn the dark arts and start to win ugly, being pragmatic and result oriented, we'll know we've arrived!!!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Ugly? Nah more like disciplined and smart football... playing ugly football is mutually exclusive to playing a tactically composed brand of football, don't mix up the two... Greece played ugly and negative football (parking the bus) to win the Euro cup in 2004. Against Cameroon and South Africa, Nigeria gave up possession to these two teams, and they ended up largely not knowing what to do with it(kind of like our game against Madagascar)... meanwhile Nigeria had "less" possession of the ball, but played more purposeful and effective football (more shots on target, more chances created, better organization and quicker to tactical adjustments)... Now that's smart football, not ugly.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Because we have speedy & skillful players, it helps beautify what has become a defensively oriented Nigeria. I think if we didn’t, and were depending on the long ball, we’d be near unwatchable.

So by and large, we’re still a fun side to watch...though we don’t play like we did in the 90s.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

:curse: Rohr no game shame, he just wants to win, even by own goals
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Ugly football? Win 3-2 Against the defending champions and 2-1 Against the team that defeated the previous runner up and having more shot on target and goal. Yes, people are just looking for a response
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

john12 wrote:Ugly football? Win 3-2 Against the defending champions and 2-1 Against the team that defeated the previous runner up and having more shot on target and goal. Yes, people are just looking for a response

dude they are not playing pretty, they are playing efficiently, you can take that however you want. They pretty much defended against a SA team they could easily out-ball.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

john12 wrote:Ugly football? Win 3-2 Against the defending champions and 2-1 Against the team that defeated the previous runner up and having more shot on target and goal. Yes, people are just looking for a response
Did you see the stats that we had 38% possession against Cameroon? Even this game, we had lower possession than SA. Say what you will, but that’s not what we typically call Nigerian football. We’ve surrendered to a counter-attacking frame. I still like it cause of the reasons I mentioned above, but truth is this ain’t your father’s super eagles
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

deanotito wrote:Because we have speedy & skillful players, it helps beautify what has become a defensively oriented Nigeria. I think if we didn’t, and were depending on the long ball, we’d be near unwatchable.

So by and large, we’re still a fun side to watch...though we don’t play like we did in the 90s.
When we were famously hailed as "the most entertaining team" we were also said in that era to be "tactically indisciplined" or even "naive".

Now we are seen to be more "organised" and "compact" we are complaining that we are no longer entertaining enough to watch.

Maybe there has to be a compromise somewhere until you have the world-class players that can always compensate for any unbalance a team might have.

'Daz How Star Do' 8-)
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

The fluidity is not there because of the 4-2-3-1 where you have deep lying central midfielders and the fact that the forward line does not combine particularly well.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Nigeria has to evolve look at our rivals they still play how they did 10 years ago and they are way too predictable,Ghana and Cameroon and even CIV lack any structure and seem to reinforce the typical West African footballing stereotype of power,pace and impulse little or no composer infront of goal and no deciplined structure and individualism.
If Nigeria look to incorporate their traditional style but take the best out of their current form they must go through a stage like this regardless of the ugly look!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

"Play Ugly, :lol: Win Big" that is the philosophy :thumb:
"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

kali wrote:The fluidity is not there because of the 4-2-3-1 where you have deep lying central midfielders and the fact that the forward line does not combine particularly well.
:agree:

Gernot Rohr is basically getting us to play like his native land, Germany, but the problem is our fans like us to play like Brazil where you attack with reckless abandon and you win 5-4 or 4-3 and you are branded the most entertaining team in the world. With Germany, your focus is on winning individual battles all over the pitch with power and athleticism, nullifying the opposition and reducing his advancement by being tight and leaving no spaces between your DMs and the back 4. You stop the opponent from scoring as long as you can score one. You don't see a german take the ball and dribble all the way.

That is what 4-2-3-1 buys you. Folks just have to get used to it.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Eaglezbeak wrote:Nigeria has to evolve look at our rivals they still play how they did 10 years ago and they are way too predictable,Ghana and Cameroon and even CIV lack any structure and seem to reinforce the typical West African footballing stereotype of power,pace and impulse little or no composer infront of goal and no deciplined structure and individualism.
If Nigeria look to incorporate their traditional style but take the best out of their current form they must go through a stage like this regardless of the ugly look!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I have always said Nigerians do not have the liver to go through a transition phase.
Forget the lip service.
We are not a patient people.
We are not a people that can see out a medium to long term goal.
We are an instant gratification people.
You see it in every aspect of our national life.
Football is no different.

20/20 'vision' - 20 NT coaches in 20 years says it all. :lol:
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

I don't mind ugly ball. Make we win. And I still don't like Rohr.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:I don't mind ugly ball. Make we win. And I still don't like Rohr.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Chief, no need to like am.
But respect is more important.

Do all your patients like you?
No.
But the day you save their life they have to respect your skills.

I was once told by a patient, "I don't know many black people and never will, but fair do's to you." - his own roundabout way of thanking me for a job well done.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Damunk wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:I don't mind ugly ball. Make we win. And I still don't like Rohr.

No.

I was once told by a patient, "I don't know many black people and never will, but fair do's to you." - his own roundabout way of thanking me for a job well done.
Wow this oyibo no get shame,i hope you charge him more for your service.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

kajifu wrote:
Damunk wrote:

No.

Wow this oyibo no get shame,i hope you charge him more for your service.
Naaa I prefer oyinbo like him, than the ones who call a black man derogatory names and turn around to say he is not racist because all his friends are black.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

ANC wrote::curse: Rohr no game shame, he just wants to win, even by own goals
Ironic comment given Nigeria scored 2 good goals while SA scored pretty much an own goal and otherwise didn’t test Akpeyi. Go figure!
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

green4life wrote:
ANC wrote::curse: Rohr no game shame, he just wants to win, even by own goals
Ironic comment given Nigeria scored 2 good goals while SA scored pretty much an own goal and otherwise didn’t test Akpeyi. Go figure!
This life ehn...
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

deanotito wrote:
Did you see the stats that we had 38% possession against Cameroon? Even this game, we had lower possession than SA. Say what you will, but that’s not what we typically call Nigerian football. We’ve surrendered to a counter-attacking frame. I still like it cause of the reasons I mentioned above, but truth is this ain’t your father’s super eagles
That was at some point before half-time. It ended like 54- 46 or so?
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

deanotito wrote:
That was at some point before half-time. It ended like 54- 46 or so?
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

We won dirty, but shouldn't have come to that if we could have taken advantage of Musa's constant penetration...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!