Is Solace Chukwu the most gifted sportswriter on the planet?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

waka-man
Egg
Egg
Is Solace Chukwu the most gifted sportswriter on the planet?

Post by waka-man »

Some of this writing is absolutely delicious. I’d read him even if i wasn’t interested in football.

Here’s a small sample:
The menace of Chukwueze, all mischief and interesting hair, might have something to do with it. Here, he was superb, off to the races whenever the ball arrived at his feet, but not without first welcoming it with a gentle caress.

Enjoy:

https://muckrack.com/solace-chukwu/articles
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Is Solace Chukwu the most gifted sportswriter on the pla

Post by deanotito »

Since you asked...No
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Warra hell???
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Na wa Ooooo, even journalists get agents for here!
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

He is a very good writer.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

He is good but he really disappointed me pre WC when he became an agenda writer.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

waka-man wrote:Some of this writing is absolutely delicious. I’d read him even if i wasn’t interested in football.

Here’s a small sample:
The menace of Chukwueze, all mischief and interesting hair, might have something to do with it. Here, he was superb, off to the races whenever the ball arrived at his feet, but not without first welcoming it with a gentle caress.

Enjoy:

KPOM. He is excellent and it isn't just the writing but the embedded logic.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

waka-man wrote:Some of this writing is absolutely delicious. I’d read him even if i wasn’t interested in football.

Here’s a small sample:

Enjoy:

One of my favourites.

Writes well. And you can follow his logic/argument. Typically done without sentiments. He just doesn't tell you, "trust me, I know what I am saying". He actually presents well thought out arguments/points.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Ugbowo wrote:He is good but he really disappointed me pre WC when he became an agenda writer.
What was his agenda?

I keep telling you guys that EVERY human being has a bias. It is what makes us human.

And having a bias (preference or aversion) for or towards something does not make you a bad person.

Tried to explain that to Patrick but he too took offence to it.

People even disagree with themselves and some of the decisions and actions they have taken in the past. That conflict is inherently human.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

NO. And we're only talking football, mind...

Solace Chukwu is pretty decent..but not even in the top 100 football writers for me...

Go read
Jonathan Wilson
Tim Vickery
Sid Lowe
Richard Jolly
Paul Tomkins
Henry Winter
Barnay Ronay
etc etc
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

FATHER TIKO wrote:NO. And we're only talking football, mind...

Solace Chukwu is pretty decent..but not even in the top 100 football writers for me...

Go read
Jonathan Wilson
Tim Vickery
Sid Lowe
Richard Jolly
Paul Tomkins
Henry Winter
Barnay Ronay
etc etc
Tim Vickery? Really. Not even sure I’ll call him a “writer”. He’s a good reporter. Same goes for most of the folks on that list. Henry Winter is a very good writer, but I think Solace brings the superior alliteration of an African writer to his work.

I read a lot of sports journalists. I really can’t think of one who makes the heart sing the way Solace does.
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Ugbowo wrote:He is good but he really disappointed me pre WC when he became an agenda writer.
We all have agendas because we are human. I have my biases and so have you. Sometimes we suppress our biases (I wouldn't have Ighalo in my preferred Nigerian team but he is there on merit) and sometimes we don't. That is why there is a difference between factual reporting and opinion pieces. In the latter, our biases cannot be avoided.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Please, return the money he has paid you.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

danfo driver wrote::rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Please, return the money he has paid you.
I’ve never met the guy and while I admit to at least a dash of hyperbole in my heading :drool: , he’s a wonderful writer. I’m not actually commenting on his knowledge of the game (although, I rate that highly too), the quality of his prose is unusually high for a sports journalist, a category not known for it’s literary credentials.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

waka-man wrote:

Go read
Jonathan Wilson
Tim Vickery
Sid Lowe
Richard Jolly
Paul Tomkins
Henry Winter
Barnay Ronay
etc etc
Tim Vickery? Really. Not even sure I’ll call him a “writer”. He’s a good reporter. Same goes for most of the folks on that list. Henry Winter is a very good writer, but I think Solace brings the superior alliteration of an African writer to his work.

I read a lot of sports journalists. I really can’t think of one who makes the heart sing the way Solace does.
Tim Vickery merely a reporter..? You must have been reading his player-portraits only, then :taunt: :taunt:
Try reading his match reports...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

A great writer does NOT have to be objective. In fact, there are many great writers who use their talent for propaganda. However, a great writer is never SPITEFUL!

This gentleman can be very spiteful and spite doesn't only affect your independence and objectivity, it affects your ability to properly present a reasoned position. I stopped reading his stuff after his childishness years ago.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
waka-man wrote:

Go read
Jonathan Wilson
Tim Vickery
Sid Lowe
Richard Jolly
Paul Tomkins
Henry Winter
Barnay Ronay
etc etc

Tim Vickery merely a reporter..? You must have been reading his player-portraits only, then :taunt: :taunt:
Try reading his match reports...
I really don’t consider Tim Vickery anywhere near Winter - or Chukwu. We clearly have different likes in literature. Which is ok. Nothing spoil.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

The honour is reserved entirely for Cyberia’s very own Oga Litrachor, the Mazi of metaphors...Coachiliam, double Ogbuefi, “mind’s my nine, pen’s my Mac 10”, quill and pot of ink, not least the man with the golden gun, but one who’s rode roughshod over an invincibility star on Mario’s raceway enroute to a Mexican standoff. Pen in hand, Chukwu may indeed have a gold finger, but what’s a quantum of solace before the legendary lyricist, Shirley Bassey in the rear, saying exactly what I’ve been saying my whole career”.
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

...and Solace is a Cybereagle! He jumps in here once in a while. He's very good. Nigerian sports journalism has a great future with his likes.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

A lil full of himself but an excellent writer. I enjoy his articles,
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

AS ONE WHO HAS OCCASIONALLY CASTIGATED THE QUALITY OF NIGERIAN (MEDIA) WRITING...

...I wish there were a lot more like this Chukwu fellow. And I'm sure there are, but the media owners probably don't feel a need to feed their audience with quality.
Bell