Etebo

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Etebo

Post by ANC »

Na, JMO is a better option as long as he agrees to just Hold.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Ugbowo wrote:Etebo Etebo Etebo.....

To me, he is a head-scratcher.

He is magnificent in the role next to Ndidi when we do not have the ball but he still has some massive tactical short comings.
When he sticks to man and goes in 1v1, he is top notch. When he is protecting a zone or an area, he is lost. When he is by passed, he has no clue where to drop and what areas to protect. Ndidi has all this and more.

On the ball, he is even more frustrating at times. His passing range is poor. His awareness can be better.

In spite of all this, he is an aggressive runner on the ball, has a more than decent first touch and packs a bullet in that right foot.

He can only get better.

Uncle if he did all the things you mentioned poorly, Rohr would not start him. If each play by each player is analyzed and scrutinized, not even Ndidi would be good enough. Etebo and Ndidi has been spectacular in the midfield.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

1naija wrote:

He is magnificent in the role next to Ndidi when we do not have the ball but he still has some massive tactical short comings.
When he sticks to man and goes in 1v1, he is top notch. When he is protecting a zone or an area, he is lost. When he is by passed, he has no clue where to drop and what areas to protect. Ndidi has all this and more.

On the ball, he is even more frustrating at times. His passing range is poor. His awareness can be better.

In spite of all this, he is an aggressive runner on the ball, has a more than decent first touch and packs a bullet in that right foot.

He can only get better.

Uncle if he did all the things you mentioned poorly, Rohr would not start him. If each play by each player is analyzed and scrutinized, not even Ndidi would be good enough. Etebo and Ndidi has been spectacular in the midfield.
Thats what is annoying, this selective scrutiny of a player that is clearly balling consistently game in game out. They are nit picking on foul commission from Etebo but ignore the fact that Ndidi commits lots of fouls as well, and his (unnecessary) foul led to SA's equalizer. Worse is they are citing a necessary foul - the one against Tau right outside the box after he had beaten Ndidi and another player and pushed the ball dangerously into the box.

If he waited till he got into the box who knows what would have happened (PK, Goal etc), if he got in there and scored wouldn't we be chastising him just like we did Yobo who let Solomon Kalou run into our box (jumping out of his way to avoid a similar foul) and he scored a wonder goal on us knocking us out...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

maceo4 wrote:
1naija wrote:

He can only get better.

Thats what is annoying, this selective scrutiny of a player that is clearly balling consistently game in game out. They are nit picking on foul commission from Etebo but ignore the fact that Ndidi commits lots of fouls as well, and his (unnecessary) foul led to SA's equalizer. Worse is they are citing a necessary foul - the one against Tau right outside the box after he had beaten Ndidi and another player and pushed the ball dangerously into the box.

If he waited till he got into the box who knows what would have happened (PK, Goal etc), if he got in there and scored wouldn't we be chastising him just like we did Yobo who let Solomon Kalou run into our box (jumping out of his way to avoid a similar foul) and he scored a wonder goal on us knocking us out...
Why are you responding to my comment with comments about fouling? Where did i mention fouling?

I can analyze Ndidi's faults as well but this is not about Ndidi. This is an Etebo thread. You can take your crying elsewhere.

All i am stating is my evaluation of the player. Strength and weaknesses.

The coach makes the decision on who plays obviously and he has determined that Etebo is better than what else he has brought with him to Egypt. And that's ok with me.

Can't a player have limitations? You guys mannnn.....
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

maceo4 wrote:
1naija wrote:

He can only get better.

:clap: :clap: Etebo has had a hell of a tournament.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

maceo4 wrote:
1naija wrote:

He can only get better.

Not sure what ur problem is. Every player has a weakness...

His game is very vertical and I think tactically, there is some mismatch between his best qualities and his deployment in the current setup...Can be explained though by the squad options/limitations...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Ugbowo wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
1naija wrote:

He can only get better.

Why are you responding to my comment with comments about fouling? Where did i mention fouling?

I can analyze Ndidi's faults as well but this is not about Ndidi. This is an Etebo thread. You can take your crying elsewhere.

All i am stating is my evaluation of the player. Strength and weaknesses.

The coach makes the decision on who plays obviously and he has determined that Etebo is better than what else he has brought with him to Egypt. And that's ok with me.

Can't a player have limitations? You guys mannnn.....
Uncle no vex, its not directed at you, its about the entire thread and others nitpicking on Etebo, but all the time always praising others who have the same flaws. Its just odd to me...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

txj wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
1naija wrote:

He can only get better.

His game is very vertical and I think tactically, there is some mismatch between his best qualities and his deployment in the current setup...Can be explained though by the squad options/limitations...
I don't have a problem...I said my piece, I just don't get the continuous picking on Etebo and his faults. Every player has flaws, Ndidi that gets all the love on her has almost the same flaws and has had relatively poor games at this ANC (vs Cameroon for example) while Etebo has been consistently well Etebo (flaws and all). We know what we get from him, and so far its been helping us win, just seems there is an unfair focus on his flaws in particular and the insistence on players who have actually stunk up the place taking his spot...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

maceo4 wrote:
txj wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
1naija wrote:

He can only get better.

I don't have a problem...I said my piece, I just don't get the continuous picking on Etebo and his faults. Every player has flaws, Ndidi that gets all the love on her has almost the same flaws and has had relatively poor games at this ANC (vs Cameroon for example) while Etebo has been consistently well Etebo (flaws and all). We know what we get from him, and so far its been helping us win, just seems there is an unfair focus on his flaws in particular and the insistence on players who have actually stunk up the place taking his spot...

First the highlight is incorrect.

2nd, you can similarly open a thread to highlight Ndidi's flaws; or just copy/paste some of Roger's comments on him...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

txj wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
txj wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
1naija wrote:

He can only get better.

First the highlight is incorrect.

2nd, you can similarly open a thread to highlight Ndidi's flaws; or just copy/paste some of Roger's comments on him...
No thanks, I'd rather praise our boys for doing well rather than nit pick. I'm proud of the way that in-spite of their flaws and all they completely shut SA's attack down and left Akpeyi on relative holiday all game...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Etebo has he strengths and weaknesses like every player. He looks a lot better in an effectively 2 man central midfield because it exploits his mobility and energy. He definitely has his flaws and you can tell that it's mostly due to playing in an environment that does not challenge him to grow and/ or clean up his mistakes. A mistake at midtable championship Stoke City will be frowned on at top half Leicester City and will possibly get you sold at a top 4 club. When he plays next to Ndidi, you can actually see the difference the tactical positioning and decision making between the two. With Ndidi, you know exactly what Ndidi will do next whereas with Etebo, it's anyone's guess. Ndidi is very tidy in his approach to the game and it mostly keeps him and his team out of trouble first and foremost. He comes across as a very coachable player.

Given Etebo's skill level and athletic/ physical attributes, at this point in his career, he should be playing in a competitive club in a big league (England, Germany, Spain or Italy). The Mace04's of the world might see this as nit picking (which is ironic given the record out there on nit picking in over 10+ years on CE), but at the highest level, what might seem like a minor issue or 'nit picking' can actually get a player benched or shipped out within a year or 2 max. That said, Etebo can look towards the likes of Sissoko and Kovacic to mention a few on the model for a path to an important club. These are players who are high energy, work hard for the team, help the team win the ball and retain possession after it's won, drive the team forward and importantly know their limits and when to hand over the play to the better placed player. Etebo can be this type of player within one season in the right environment but at mid table Stoke City? No way Jose!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

ANC wrote:Na, JMO is a better option as long as he agrees to just Hold.
Which better option? Mikel that will retire after the AFCON... we're fine without him, he has served us well already. The likes of Azubuike are definitely ready to step up like Etebo and Ndidi have done so far.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

green4life wrote:Etebo has he strengths and weaknesses like every player. He looks a lot better in an effectively 2 man central midfield because it exploits his mobility and energy. He definitely has his flaws and you can tell that it's mostly due to playing in an environment that does not challenge him to grow and/ or clean up his mistakes. A mistake at midtable championship Stoke City will be frowned on at top half Leicester City and will possibly get you sold at a top 4 club. When he plays next to Ndidi, you can actually see the difference the tactical positioning and decision making between the two. With Ndidi, you know exactly what Ndidi will do next whereas with Etebo, it's anyone's guess. Ndidi is very tidy in his approach to the game and it mostly keeps him and his team out of trouble first and foremost. He comes across as a very coachable player.

Given Etebo's skill level and athletic/ physical attributes, at this point in his career, he should be playing in a competitive club in a big league (England, Germany, Spain or Italy). The Mace04's of the world might see this as nit picking (which is ironic given the record out there on nit picking in over 10+ years on CE), but at the highest level, what might seem like a minor issue or 'nit picking' can actually get a player benched or shipped out within a year or 2 max. That said, Etebo can look towards the likes of Sissoko and Kovacic to mention a few on the model for a path to an important club. These are players who are high energy, work hard for the team, help the team win the ball and retain possession after it's won, drive the team forward and importantly know their limits and when to hand over the play to the better placed player. Etebo can be this type of player within one season in the right environment but at mid table Stoke City? No way Jose!
I agree with most of this, but my comments are in context to this particular competition and not Etebo's career in general. Yes he does have a lot to improve on and I agree with you going forward for his particular career progression there will be a lot for him to do. But in this particular tournament he has definitely balled, flaws and all...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Our best performing player in the tournament so far
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

He can only get better.
THis is not true.

*You say his passing range is poor but in the last game alone, he had 3 long balls and all on target. Only Omeruo had more 9 (7 on target). And Etebo led game before.
*You also say his awareness is poor but in all Games except against SA, he had the highest number of Key Passes (A pass that leads to a shot on target)
*Others say he is not talented but game after game, he has the highest number of succesful dribbles in the team. Remember against croatia, he broke the record for most succesful dribbles in a WC game (Hazard beat that record a day after).
*They also say he kills the attack with ineffective passes but most AFCON games, he has had the most BIG CHANCES CREATED.

Etebo is the only player that has played every game in the AFCON. He is Rohr's heartbeat.

Lets not forget he has played all his career as an 8,11 and 10. He only moved to the central midfield in his club career Janaury Last year.

Stats dont lie
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

just watched the SA match and now watched 70mins of the Algeria match again.

Etebo has been our best player by miles. Infact, the beinsports commentator has been shrining him. directing the game, spreading passes, hitting key passes.

anyone that says other wise, God help you!
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

chief nfachairman wrote:just watched the SA match and now watched 70mins of the Algeria match again.

Etebo has been our best player by miles. Infact, the beinsports commentator has been shrining him. directing the game, spreading passes, hitting key passes.

... Yet Algeria controlled the midfield all game long (including parts of the second half when they sat back after taking the lead). He put out a lot of energy but did not control midfield play whenever it matter (at 0-0 and at 1-1). Abeg, this is not the game to hail any of our midfielders.

Nfachairman, your boy, Etebo, is a talented player who should be playing in a much better club than Stoke City but you are doing him a disservice by being a 'yes-man'. Advise him properly so he can improve sufficiently enough to move to the next level AND stay at that level for a lengthy period of years.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

green4life wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:just watched the SA match and now watched 70mins of the Algeria match again.

... Yet Algeria controlled the midfield all game long (including parts of the second half when they sat back after taking the lead). He put out a lot of energy but did not control midfield play whenever it matter (at 0-0 and at 1-1). Abeg, this is not the game to hail any of our midfielders.

Nfachairman, your boy, Etebo, is a talented player who should be playing in a much better club than Stoke City but you are doing him a disservice by being a 'yes-man'. Advise him properly so he can improve sufficiently enough to move to the next level AND stay at that level for a lengthy period of years.
ITS A LIE, A BIG LIE BRO. I have just finished watching this match again. The minute they scored, Nigeria ran the game. Etebo put us 1 goal up (getting the pen). After we scored, the game was balanced and then Algeria took over the game from 90mins.

In this game, Nigeria had more possession, more passes, more shots, more dribbles, etc.

the stats dont lie and ill be posting them tomorrow
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

and oh, about Etebo moving to stoke and leaving, I was against his moving to stoke (on this forum) and long before the AFCON, i have advocated for him to move. I even posted a transfer rumour of him moving to Gala.

Please dont accuse me falsely bro.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

chief nfachairman wrote:
green4life wrote:

ITS A LIE, A BIG LIE BRO. I have just finished watching this match again. The minute they scored, Nigeria ran the game. Etebo put us 1 goal up (getting the pen). After we scored, the game was balanced and then Algeria took over the game from 90mins.

In this game, Nigeria had more possession, more passes, more shots, more dribbles, etc.

Which game did you watch my brother? The Algerians dominated midfield play the ENTIRE first without a doubt. Then, they sat back to rely on counters early in the second half of which we did not test their goalie until we got fortunate with VAR giving us a PK (that wasn't initially given). With all the 'control' you allege, were was our activity inside their box? Did their goalie have to dive or make any proper save the entire game? Control is less about mere possession/ passing and more about what you do with the ball when you have it.

Etebo played well in the previous games but in this game, he was out of his depth. That said, I won't blame him entirely b/c the coach didn't help him but neither is this a game to claim he was controlling midfield play when clearly he did not. I'm not accusing you falsely but all I'm saying is being a 'yes-man' for your boy, Etebo, is not helping him ad Nigeria.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

chief nfachairman wrote:ITS A LIE, A BIG LIE BRO. I have just finished watching this match again. The minute they scored, Nigeria ran the game. Etebo put us 1 goal up (getting the pen). After we scored, the game was balanced and then Algeria took over the game from 90mins.

Totally agree. We lost this game during the added-on time...
Until then, was a pretty balanced contest with both teams scoring opportunistically.
>
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

One more thing is as the game progressed, it quickly dawned on me what their approach would be: use their energy early and try to score first then sit back and counter. What I did not expect them to do was try to go for it after we tied the game given we were supposed to be fresher than the Algerians. What that tells you is they had no fear or concern about the Nigerian midfield's ability to hurt them. You might want to rewatch that game one more time.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

green4life wrote:One more thing is as the game progressed, it quickly dawned on me what their approach would be: use their energy early and try to score first then sit back and counter. What I did not expect them to do was try to go for it after we tied the game given we were supposed to be fresher than the Algerians. What that tells you is they had no fear or concern about the Nigerian midfield's ability to hurt them. You might want to rewatch that game one more time.
I rewatched it the 2nd half again.

Even the BeinSports commentor sometime in the 2nd half said Ndidi and Etebo have been great and holding that midfield.

When i watch the match and compare it to the stats, it totally disputes your claim.