Player for player, the current team is VASTLY superior to 94

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Player for player, the current team is VASTLY superior t

Post by bushboy »

I am not trolling at all. I'm just being very honest. I too enjoyed the 94 team, but my judgment is not clouded by nostalgia. The 94 team lost to 10-man Italy for goodness sake! They were entertaining to watch but as a team they were poor.
You really want to compare a CL winner who has won every trophy in football to Oliseh? Really?
Musa with 4 world class goals in world cups to Siasia?
In 94, we had "unattached" players on the squad. Today we can leave out EPL players like Iheanacho and Success.
If 94 played this current team, they would lose, and that is fact! The 94 team was all out attack and the current squad with Musa, Chukwueze and Onyekuru would destroy them on the counter.
We remember the 94 team more in our hearts than on the actual green grass. I recall sweating and praying for final whistle against Algeria to allow us qualify for world cup. This squad did it with a game to spare.
I really think we have a more talented team today.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

bushboy wrote:I am not trolling at all. I'm just being very honest. I too enjoyed the 94 team, but my judgment is not clouded by nostalgia. The 94 team lost to 10-man Italy for goodness sake! They were entertaining to watch but as a team they were poor.
You really want to compare a CL winner who has won every trophy in football to Oliseh? Really?
In 94, we had "unattached" players on the squad. Today we can leave out EPL players like Iheanacho and Success.
If 94 played this current team, they would lose, and that is fact! The 94 team was all out attack and the current squad with Musa, Chukwueze and Onyekuru would destroy them on the counter.
We remember the 94 team more in our hearts than on the actual green grass. I recall sweating and praying for final whistle against Algeria to allow us qualify for world cup. This squad did it with a game to spare.
The 1994 players provided opportunity for the current players to dream of playing in the EPL.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Okochadman2Nas
Egg
Egg

Post by Okochadman2Nas »

bushboy wrote:I was looking again at that 1994 World cup squad, and I dare say today only Finidi, Okocha, Rufai and Yekini could make the grade on the current team.
Mikel is better than Oliseh
Ndidi is better than Adepoju
Musa is better than Siasia
Aina/Ebuehi better than Eguavon

The list goes on....

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Okochadman2Nas
Egg
Egg

Post by Okochadman2Nas »

Polly wrote:
bushboy wrote:I was looking again at that 1994 World cup squad, and I dare say today only Finidi, Okocha, Rufai and Yekini could make the grade on the current team.
Mikel is better than Oliseh
Ndidi is better than Adepoju
Musa is better than Siasia
Aina/Ebuehi better than Eguavon

The list goes on....
This is what happens when you mix hard liquor and tombo. Your tongue mistakes liberty for licence.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

bushboy wrote:I am not trolling at all. I'm just being very honest. I too enjoyed the 94 team, but my judgment is not clouded by nostalgia. The 94 team lost to 10-man Italy for goodness sake! They were entertaining to watch but as a team they were poor.
You actually watched the 94 squad..? Really...? :???: :???: :???:

And you actually think this current squad would beat that 94 squad..? Seriously..? :???: :???:

A team that had 7 players in CAF Africa XI in 1994..? (Our sole rep in current CAF XI is Ndidi and he is on the bench)

You actually watched that 94 squad..? Really..?
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

Yes, I watched the 94 team. Trust me, I love that tean as kuch as anyone else. They were the most ENTERTAINING team we have ever produced, but they are not as good technically or tactically as the current team.

In fact, it is probably my "over watching" of 1994 games that has opened up my eyes to all the things that was wrong with that team. There are many, many, many plays where Okocha dwelled on the ball too long and wasted a good run by another player. There were many poor crosses put into the box, there was many times we lost track of olayers on set pieces, many times good attacking play was spoiled by a bad final ball. All the things the players in the current team do to be called "brainless" "useless" "wastepipe" and all. The 94 team was ALSO guilty of.

Please don't misunderstand me guys, the 94 squad was solid. But they lacked the composure and exposure of the current bunch.

This team was a goal up against 10 men and still managed to lose! Let that sink in for a moment!! The team for all the beautiful football was a disappointment.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Thats an insult comparing the 1994, they set a benchmark in Nigeria football history
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

marko wrote:Thats an insult comparing the 1994, they set a benchmark in Nigeria football history
What benchmark? That they lost in the 2nd round at a WC? Isn't that the height of their success on the world stage?
The hype and legend of this team is grounded more in nostalgia than reality. They struggled in a lot of games. We were watching them a lot of times with fear and trembling. This current bunch has delivered BOTH a WC ans ANC qualification with a GAME TO SPARE!
I am not blinded by any yeye nostalgia o! The proof is in the results.
Who will be next?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

bushboy wrote:
marko wrote:Thats an insult comparing the 1994, they set a benchmark in Nigeria football history
What benchmark? That they lost in the 2nd round at a WC? Isn't that the height of their success on the world stage?
The hype and legend of this team is grounded more in nostalgia than reality. They struggled in a lot of games. We were watching them a lot of times with fear and trembling. This current bunch has delivered BOTH a WC ans ANC qualification with a GAME TO SPARE!
Hmmm, but these guys that you say are better than them couldn't get out of the group stages...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

bushboy wrote:
Nigeria qualified for the WC with a game to spare in 1998 and ANC qualification was never an issue in that era. Their results were also superior to the current team. The 1994 team was not perfect, but this team has a lot of work to do before they can dream of challenging that side. Some of the young players are promising but promise never guarantees anything.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

bushboy wrote:Yes, I watched the 94 team. Trust me, I love that tean as kuch as anyone else. They were the most ENTERTAINING team we have ever produced, but they are not as good technically or tactically as the current team.

In fact, it is probably my "over watching" of 1994 games that has opened up my eyes to all the things that was wrong with that team. There are many, many, many plays where Okocha dwelled on the ball too long and wasted a good run by another player. There were many poor crosses put into the box, there was many times we lost track of olayers on set pieces, many times good attacking play was spoiled by a bad final ball. All the things the players in the current team do to be called "brainless" "useless" "wastepipe" and all. The 94 team was ALSO guilty of.

Please don't misunderstand me guys, the 94 squad was solid. But they lacked the composure and exposure of the current bunch.

This team was a goal up against 10 men and still managed to lose! Let that sink in for a moment!! The team for all the beautiful football was a disappointment.
Forget emotion here, bro...At the 1994 WCup, that team whacked Bulgaria (who finished 4th) 3-0...

Think long & hard about what you're implying...

This current squad with Akpeyi in goal, and back four of Ekong, Omeruo, Awaziem, Collins; would stop Yekini, Amokachi, Finidi & Amuneke..?

And then Ighalo, Musa & Chukwueze; would best Nwanu, Okechukwu, Iroha & Eguavoen..?

Think about what you are implying here, abeg...
- Bill Shankly
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Neutral fans to this day hails the 1994 team and the 1996 Olympic team as the standard for not only Africa but world football. At the last few worldcups, the common question I hear from friends and colleagues is what has happened to Nigeria soccer. Even with this squad if you take out Chukwueze, they would have lost the round of 16 to Cameroon. Don't be fooled by their last couple of displays, take out Chikwueze and they can lose to Niger and get crushed by South Africa. Ndidi that is like the current 2nd best player on the team is not even comfortable with the ball at his feet driving forward and Musa cant deliver a decent cross at any point in the game. The team is very athletic which is what world sports is moving to and some players are skillful but its a team where the whole is greater than the parts. The standard of sports has dropped worldwide because of the internet and kids not spending as much time on the fields honing their skills (same with music and others) so we are getting used to what sports has become but abeg dont compare it to the 94 team that had maestros running the show.
Last edited by oscar52 on Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

I was about to pray for forgiveness for this absurdity of a thread, and then I saw it was bush baby that started it, dat one nah wasted prayer.

The only thing better about this team is the coach. Ill take Rohr over a vastly overrated Westerhoff anyday. Aside from that, I could see Ndidi making the squad and would take Aina over Egu at RB.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Player for player, No. Teamwise, maybe
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

bushboy wrote:Yes, I watched the 94 team. Trust me, I love that tean as kuch as anyone else. They were the most ENTERTAINING team we have ever produced, but they are not as good technically or tactically as the current team.

It took the second best team in the entire tournament extra time to defeat a team making its debut in the world cup. The same novice team decimated the 4th best team in that world cup by three goals.

Let that sink in for a moment!
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

maceo4 wrote:
bushboy wrote:
Hmmm, but these guys that you say are better than them couldn't get out of the group stages...

:rotf: bush baby logic

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
joplass wrote::lol: @ the thread

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: its' like saying Clinton Njie is VASTLLY superior to Roger Milla.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

metalalloy wrote:

It took the second best team in the entire tournament extra time to defeat a team making its debut in the world cup. The same novice team decimated the 4th best team in that world cup by three goals.

Croatia was likewise the 2nd best team at the 2018 WC. And it was a virtual own goal and a penalty that lost us that game. Do you honestly think with a goal up and a red card to Modric (equivalent of Zola back then) we would lose?
No way in hell!! The 94 squad is very overrated. If the "gold standard" orlf our football is losing to a 10-man team, then we are in trouble.
Who will be next?
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

FATHER TIKO wrote:

Forget emotion here, bro...At the 1994 WCup, that team whacked Bulgaria (who finished 4th) 3-0...

Think long & hard about what you're implying...

This current squad with Akpeyi in goal, and back four of Ekong, Omeruo, Awaziem, Collins; would stop Yekini, Amokachi, Finidi & Amuneke..?

And then Ighalo, Musa & Chukwueze; would best Nwanu, Okechukwu, Iroha & Eguavoen..?

Think about what you are implying here, abeg...
So all this firepower you describe played 120 minutes of football, most of it with a man advantage and conceded 2 goals and only scored one? You are just making my point. We are more in love with the "names" of that team than the actual performance on thd green grass. They disappointed us big time!!
Who will be next?
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

bushboy wrote:
metalalloy wrote:

Croatia was likewise the 2nd best team at the 2018 WC. And it was a virtual own goal and a penalty that lost us that game. Do you honestly think with a goal up and a red card to Modric (equivalent of Zola back then) we would lose?
No way in hell!! The 94 squad is very overrated. If the "gold standard" orlf our football is losing to a 10-man team, then we are in trouble.
I guess we beat England 3-0 in the last WC then? The 1994 team defeated the 4th placed team, Bulgaria, 3-0. Losing to 10 men is not new - it has happened to several teams in the past.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

aruako1 wrote:
bushboy wrote:
metalalloy wrote:

I guess we beat England 3-0 in the last WC then? The 1994 team defeated the 4th placed team, Bulgaria, 3-0. Losing to 10 men is not new - it has happened to several teams in the past.
It was not even a mere defeat of Bulgaria...It was an annhilation...

That 1994 team would have vaporised Iceland in Russia...

And that Italy side in 1994 was vastly superior to the Croatia of 2018(comparing the quality of players), so the analogy of red card to Zola (Modric) is mistaken...
- Bill Shankly
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

I've tried to ignore this topic because you know...it has to be lunacy

But I can’t anymore. My fren, will you sharap that stinkin mouf!!!
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

when someone says a semi-retired Mikel of 2019 is superior to an 94 Oliseh. Haba!!!!
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.