Can someone please explain why Ighalo is still in the team.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

onwuatuegwu
Egg
Egg
Re: Can someone please explain why Ighalo is still in the te

Post by onwuatuegwu »

BAP wrote:
esosa wrote:Please help me guys - I still dont understand Ighalo's value to this team. I have watched the matches and inspite of his recent goals - what on earth is he doing in that team. He constantly misses open goals and is even sometimes a liability when he goes to defend. Soccer experts - please help
Valid Question
+1

Yeah, he scored 3 goals out of 12 goals he could have scored :blink:
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

john12 wrote:Ighalo has 3 goals so far and husband still disrespected SMH what can Nigerian footballers do to please their fans?
Paolo Rossi had 6 Goals at the 82 WC nobody heard much from him thereafter,

When your goals are little more than Tap Ins off of other peoples work and PK's its a little difficult to celebrate. Same reason why one couldn't celebrate Aiyegbeni even though he led scoring season after season at everton ..

Personally I prefer fast mobile strikers Ala YekinI, Utaka., Osaze , Nsofor, Amokachi, Emenike etc who can blow past defenders, hit it from outside the box, score from free kicks and even create chances for others rather than strikers who only score tap ins from inside the six yard box.

But thats just me :thumbs:
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

esosa wrote:Please help me guys - I still dont understand Ighalo's value to this team. I have watched the matches and inspite of his recent goals - what on earth is he doing in that team. He constantly misses open goals and is even sometimes a liability when he goes to defend. Soccer experts - please help
Bros U need to go and beg ya neighbor to expand ya curtain view...
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

BAP wrote:
john12 wrote:Ighalo has 3 goals so far and husband still disrespected SMH what can Nigerian footballers do to please their fans?

When your goals are little more than Tap Ins off of other peoples work and PK's its a little difficult to celebrate. Same reason why one couldn't celebrate Aiyegbeni even though he led scoring season after season at everton ..

Personally I prefer fast mobile strikers Ala YekinI, Utaka., Osaze , Nsofor, Amokachi, Emenike etc who can blow past defenders, hit it from outside the box, score from free kicks and even create chances for others rather than strikers who only score tap ins from inside the six yard box.

I guess when he taps in against Arsenal E go hard na.. :taunt:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

Ugbowo wrote:First time i want to suggest a post threshold for thread openers. This is what happens when anybody can join and open a thread.
:bump: :bump: :lol: :lol:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

paj wrote:
BAP wrote:

I guess when he taps in against Arsenal E go hard na.. :taunt:
He couldnt even do that anymore ... thats why Watford Shipped him to China :mrgreen:
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

BAP wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Enyi wrote:Problem ain’t Ighalo....no one has proven that they are better than him....but no one has been given a change either...no one is calling for Onuacho to play.....

Ighalo is great....how bad is Oshimen??
Victor Osimhen is not bad. It boils down to the coach's preference. Ighalo is a handful.
Rohr mentioned that Osimhen is not strong on the ball and with his back at goal.
Rohr likes a CF that is good at hold up play. Something Ighalo excels at.

Again, it goes back to the 'dead rubber' game against Madagascar... why Osimhen wasn't played. :?

Per the underlined .. Hold Up play may be useful for a pressing team not a counter attacking team which is apparently what Rohr prefers ..

Ighalo is only a handful in the Chinese 2nd division he is as impotent as they come against real opposition
What is real opposition?

Ighalo just cannot win with you guys. When he was not scoring, ignoring every other qualities he brings to the team, you all justified your reasons for wanting him out of the team on him not scoring or missing chances. But all strikers miss chances and Ighalo is no different. However in a team that does not create enough big chances, any miss is seized on. But we must put misses in context of other factors, like team philosophy, quality and number of chances created etc if we are to be constructive and fair in our criticisms.

At this AFCON, Ighalo has delivered goals and assists - big and crucial goals and assist that has won games or come when the team needed it most. He has also delivered on his other qualities for the team, the critics have nothing to say, they are now giving us this subjective opinion of not scoring against 'real opposition'. What is this so called 'real opposition'?

Here is Ighalo performing at our next important tournament to the WC, yet his efforts are been questioned and belittled. I am left with no option but to conclude that most his critics issues with him are based on their own agendas which has little or no bearing on his performances.

Let's take an holistic approach to Ighalo's job is in this team given the way we want to play and try to highlight a key attribute he brings that enables our tactical approach in attacking.

We are basically a defensive team. We are set up to be compact and tight. The reasons are understandable, Rohr seems to have concluded that it is the system that best suits the players he has. We can agree or disagree but it is the way it is.

We have problems building attacks from defence, especially when attacking through the middle due to the quality of too many of our defensive players on the ball. Too many of them cannot play passes that break the lines or make a sudden switch with a long pass to an attacker who is in space or a 'one on one' situation. We do not have a deep lying play maker, and fo not play like we have one.

Consequently, we struggle to build attacks from defence and through the middle. E.g. Just watch how many 50/50 long balls we lump up there for the lone Ighalo to fight two CDs for.

We cannot go through the middle, so are left with trying to attack from the wide positions. We try to get our wide attackers and Wide Backs on the ball, looking to get behind the opposition from these wide positions. This is where Ighalo physical presence and physicality becomes really useful. When have the ball in these attacking positions, Ighalo occupies one CD, but the other CD cannot ignore Ighalo, he tries to be close to his CD colleague cos he knows Ighalo is a handful that can easily get the better of his CD partner.

In trying to be close, the CD leaves space between himself and his full back. If the full back compensates by covering the space left by the CD, our wide attackers have space out wide. This domino effect if creating space and exploiting the space created, usually starts with Ighalo.

Even if we do not go from the wide positions, just watch when Ighalo gets a pass in that middle CD zone, watch how tight they are on him, but being tight causes the opposition to leave space and our players exploit and capitalised on this space consistently. So why do we ignore this crucial aspect of our play that Ighalo makes possible?

I am no coach, but I not only watch, I also use the stats to analyse. We need to be fair and constructive in our criticisms. Like all the critics, I get angry and disappointed when Ighalo misses chances. It is natural, however we must also recognise that misses are part of the game and try to understand putting things in context.

Talking about context, given the way we want to play. Those who proffer negativities about Ighalo only, never seem go to come up with a credible and bonafide alternative to the player. I wonder why. 8-)
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Waffiman wrote:
BAP wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Enyi wrote:Problem ain’t Ighalo....no one has proven that they are better than him....but no one has been given a change either...no one is calling for Onuacho to play.....

Victor Osimhen is not bad. It boils down to the coach's preference. Ighalo is a handful.
Rohr mentioned that Osimhen is not strong on the ball and with his back at goal.

Again, it goes back to the 'dead rubber' game against Madagascar... why Osimhen wasn't played. :?

Per the underlined .. Hold Up play may be useful for a pressing team not a counter attacking team which is apparently what Rohr prefers ..

Ighalo is only a handful in the Chinese 2nd division he is as impotent as they come against real opposition
What is real opposition?

Ighalo just cannot win with you guys. When he was not scoring, ignoring every other qualities he brings to the team, you all justified your reasons for wanting him out of the team on him not scoring or missing chances. But all strikers miss chances and Ighalo is no different. However in a team that does not create enough big chances, any miss is seized on. But we must put misses in context of other factors, like team philosophy, quality and number of chances created etc if we are to be constructive and fair in our criticisms.

At this AFCON, Ighalo has delivered goals and assists - big and crucial goals and assist that has won games or come when the team needed it most. He has also delivered on his other qualities for the team, the critics have nothing to say, they are now giving us this subjective opinion of not scoring against 'real opposition'. What is this so called 'real opposition'?

Here is Ighalo performing at our next important tournament to the WC, yet his efforts are been questioned and belittled. I am left with no option but to conclude that most his critics issues with him are based on their own agendas which has little or no bearing on his performances.

Let's take an holistic approach to Ighalo's job is in this team given the way we want to play and try to highlight a key attribute he brings that enables our tactical approach in attacking.

We are basically a defensive team. We are set up to be compact and tight. The reasons are understandable, Rohr seems to have concluded that it is the system that best suits the players he has. We can agree or disagree but it is the way it is.

We have problems building attacks from defence, especially when attacking through the middle due to the quality of too many of our defensive players on the ball. Too many of them cannot play passes that break the lines or make a sudden switch with a long pass to an attacker who is in space or a 'one on one' situation. We do not have a deep lying play maker, and fo not play like we have one.

Consequently, we struggle to build attacks from defence and through the middle. E.g. Just watch how many 50/50 long balls we lump up there for the lone Ighalo to fight two CDs for.

We cannot go through the middle, so are left with trying to attack from the wide positions. We try to get our wide attackers and Wide Backs on the ball, looking to get behind the opposition from these wide positions. This is where Ighalo physical presence and physicality becomes really useful. When have the ball in these attacking positions, Ighalo occupies one CD, but the other CD cannot ignore Ighalo, he tries to be close to his CD colleague cos he knows Ighalo is a handful that can easily get the better of his CD partner.

In trying to be close, the CD leaves space between himself and his full back. If the full back compensates by covering the space left by the CD, our wide attackers have space out wide. This domino effect if creating space and exploiting the space created, usually starts with Ighalo.

Even if we do not go from the wide positions, just watch when Ighalo gets a pass in that middle CD zone, watch how tight they are on him, but being tight causes the opposition to leave space and our players exploit and capitalised on this space consistently. So why do we ignore this crucial aspect of our play that Ighalo makes possible?

I am no coach, but I not only watch, I also use the stats to analyse. We need to be fair and constructive in our criticisms. Like all the critics, I get angry and disappointed when Ighalo misses chances. It is natural, however we must also recognise that misses are part of the game and try to understand putting things in context.

Talking about context, given the way we want to play. Those who proffer negativities about Ighalo only, never seem go to come up with a credible and bonafide alternative to the player. I wonder why. 8-)
Baba, God will bless you and yours whether you like it or not. You have said it all. Nothing else to add...
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Waffiman wrote:
BAP wrote:
Cellular wrote:

What is real opposition?

Waffiman, fellow Deltan, thx a lot for this post of yours :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I hope they STOP all the trash-talks about Ighalo.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

Waffiman wrote:
What is real opposition?
real opposition like those we played at and pre-wc where ighalo laid egg after egg game after game.
Did anybody notIce that the only game we won at the WC was the one ighalo didnt start in or he same argentina we put four goaals past without the great Ighalo came back to knack us 2-1 with the great ighalo on the pitch :rotf:
pray tell me what qualities are these ? his speed his height , his ball control , his shots from range ? his free kicks . i must have missed it :mrgreen:
Furthermore you talk as if Ighalo himself has no responsibility towards creating chances . Previous strikers we have had Ikpeba, aghawonder , yekini, osaze , utaka, emenike all created chances for themselves even when others didn't
Go back to anc 2004 where kanu lays an outlet pass to utaka who carries it about 20-30 yards and slots it in with Cameroonians in hot pursuit . Does anybody on this forum think you can give ighalo that kin pass and he will score with his slow pace ?
abeg spare me :mrgreen:
At this AFCON, Ighalo has delivered goals and assists
and so ? is it only ighalo that can deliver goals and assists ? and of those tap in goals how many came out of ighalos creativity ? :???:
- big and crucial goals and assist that has won games or come when the team needed it most. He has also delivered on his other qualities for the team, the critics have nothing to say, they are now giving us this subjective opinion of not scoring against 'real opposition'. What is this so called 'real opposition'?
we still dont know what these qualities are that you are talking about. you are accusing people of being subjective but yet you keep repeating abstractions that you yourself havent defined
Abeg spare us the POETIC sentimental crap. the reason is very simple we have better more creative faster strikers we are not using ..nothing more

Ok assuming alll that is true wouldn't the answer be to use more mobile faster strikers that can come to the ball if the ball cant come to them? . Isnt that what we are saying ? dont great players make up for the deficiencies of their surrounding cast ? :???:
You are making my point for me . lobbing balls to big burly strikers is 1970s soccer .
In the mordern game , quick mobile strikers is what its about hence slow immobile players like ighalo are surplus to requirements
ps the likes of ikpeba knew how to position themselves away from the big bulky cd's so for them it was a non issue
You are beginning to believe your own fantasies so much so that you are now contradicting yourself .furthermore i dont know which games you have been watching but I dont know of any game where Ighalos supposed Physicality that we have heard so much about has been of any benefit whatsoever to us .. perhaps you can show me what goal has resulted from this physicality.. Ok maybe aganst cameroun during the WCQs when we won 4-0 but aside that please show

All this one na theory and it appllies to every player abeg. which player arent they tight on causing opposition to leave space ?
you are definitely no coach you are right about that one :mrgreen:
No need to wonder why .. we have told you many times Onyekuru and ahmed musa are credible PROVEN bonafides
even bein sport commentators had a field day pointing out that ighalo was stinking up the joint. Did they have an aqenda too?

Anyway thanks for the epistle :clap: :clap: .. so much sentimental hubris contained therein but it was a pretty amusing read to say the least :mrgreen:
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

Robbynice wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
BAP wrote:
Cellular wrote:

What is real opposition?

Baba, God will bless you and yours whether you like it or not. You have said it all. Nothing else to add...
did you even read what he wrote ? you these follow follow people that can think for youselves na wah
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

SE needs a more mobile striker in the mold of Aubemeyang that can:

a) Do the proverbial tap ins by running into space with speed - Igbalo does not gave the legs to beat moderately speedy defenders/keeper to the ball.
b) Can shoot from outside the 18 and trouble the keeper - Ighalo does not have the leg strength.
c) Can lay ball off to the wings and also have the leg speed to run into space to tap it in - Ighalo does not have the legs.
d) Decent hold up play to occupy defenders - Ighalo excels here only partially because of lack of speed so he relies on the referee to call a foul when he falls down.
e) Decent header of the ball - Ighalo excels here, I give him credit for that.

He is serviceable as a striker but in an ideal world we should aim to do better than Ighalo.
Last edited by oscar52 on Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

BAP wrote:
Robbynice wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
BAP wrote:
Cellular wrote:

What is real opposition?

did you even read what he wrote ? you these follow follow people that can think for youselves na wah
Ighalo this, Ighalo that.....the truth here is that if Yakubu, Emenike and co are still on form and playing, Ighalo won’t be in the team let alone start....

No matter how u describe the team...Ighalo is average/poor at best....but he is the only option we have, so we have to support him. The team is a defensive team that relies on counter attacking....Ighalo can’t keep up, so Musa kept slowing down and cutting in to find support....

Ighalo’s turnover rate is massive for a striker that holds up the ball.....he doesn’t.

No matter what contest u put it in....if Slimani (who is also average) is Nigerian....Ighalo won’t be on the pitch but he is the best we have (until we see Oshimen) so we support him.
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

As Westerhof said, Nigeria is a nation of 180m coaches....
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

oscar52 wrote:SE needs a more mobile striker in the mold of Aubemeyang that can:

a) Do the proverbial tap ins by running into space with speed - Igbalo does not gave the legs to beat moderately speedy defenders/keeper to the ball.
b) Can shoot from outside the 18 and trouble the keeper - Ighalo does not have the leg strength.
c) Can lay ball off to the wings and also have the leg speed to run into space to tap it in - Ighalo does not have the legs.
d) Decent hold up play to occupy defenders - Ighalo excels here only partially because of lack of speed so he relies on the referee to call a foul when he falls down.
e) Decent header of the ball - Ighalo excels here, I give him credit for that.

He is serviceable as a striker but in an ideal world we should aim to do better than Ighalo.
And that is the Koko of the matter ... :clap:
Some people would rather believe however that there is some sinister reason why folks don't like Ighalo or rather dont think Ighalo is the best Nigeria can offer
Al B Sure
Egg
Egg

Post by Al B Sure »

Who in the team should replace Ighalo?
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Al B Sure wrote:Who in the team should replace Ighalo?
Victor, Onyekuru, Musa....We have options but the issue is that one striker has been given more opportunities than others, even when he went 15 games without scoring!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

zee wrote:
Ugbowo wrote:First time i want to suggest a post threshold for thread openers. This is what happens when anybody can join and open a thread.
:bump: :bump: :lol: :lol:
:rotf: I call the mods to ban ugbowo for 12 days..his post was an assault
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Cellular wrote:

I am still waiting to see this hold play Ighalo does. All he does is wrestle the two central defenders all day long which results in fouls. The annoying part is that 50 percent of these fouls are blown against us :dream:
Watch Mane and see how hold up play should be done! He has the strength and skill to go solo but can also hold the ball till his Colleagues get into the box.
Al B Sure
Egg
Egg

Post by Al B Sure »

Mane has not be that good in this afcon
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

Ighalo, if you are reading this, I am solidly behind you. Inspite of your shortcomings, which we all have, you give your all Everytime you step on the pitch, then off the pitch, you use your resources to give hope to motherless children. I wish you continued success, and may this trophy come home, Amen.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

BAP, you be my guy because you speak truth to powers like Waffiman and the rest of the "be patriotic at all costs" gang on CE. :taunt: :D Waffi na my guy too, but sometimes he gets carried away in the wrong direction. OP, good question, biko. :thumb:

Msscheww. :mad: Ighalo this and Ighalo that. Bobo that was shipped out of Watford--Watford li :lol: -- to China is being touted as the best Nigeria has. :roll: :oops: .

Let us look at Ighalo's three goals. This first was the result of a bad mistake by the Burundi defender. Most of the time Ighalo was following the Burundi defender everywhere :lol: , instead of getting open. Somebody should tell him to study Yekini tapes and learn how to find space.
[/video]

Now the goals against Cameroon. Note how the first goal (.54 secs in) was fired in the direction of a defender and the goalkeeper. IT WAS A DEFLECTION, A LUCKY GOAL. :lol: The second goal (5.59 mins), HE FIRED STRAIGHT AT THE GOALKEEPER AGAIN WHILE THERE WAS ACRES OF SPACE ON THE GOALKEEPER'S RIGHT. :rotf:
[/video]

Oya, patriotic defenders, carry on. :lol: I will not disturb your comforting peace or your anodyne opinions again. :D :taunt:
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

ohsee wrote:BAP, you be my guy because you speak truth to powers like Waffiman and the rest of the "be patriotic at all costs" gang on CE. :taunt: :D Waffi na my guy too, but sometimes he gets carried away in the wrong direction. OP, good question, biko. :thumb:

Msscheww. :mad: Ighalo this and Ighalo that. Bobo that was shipped out of Watford--Watford li :lol: -- to China is being touted as the best Nigeria has. :roll: :oops: .

Let us look at Ighalo's three goals. This first was the result of a bad mistake by the Burundi defender. Most of the time Ighalo was following the Burundi defender everywhere :lol: , instead of getting open. Somebody should tell him to study Yekini tapes and learn how to find space.
[/video]

Now the goals against Cameroon. Note how the first goal (.54 secs in) was fired in the direction of a defender and the goalkeeper. IT WAS A DEFLECTION, A LUCKY GOAL. :lol: The second goal (5.59 mins), HE FIRED STRAIGHT AT THE GOALKEEPER AGAIN WHILE THERE WAS ACRES OF SPACE ON THE GOALKEEPER'S RIGHT. :rotf:
[/video]

Oya, patriotic defenders, carry on. :lol: I will not disturb your comforting peace or your anodyne opinions again. :D :taunt:
Great grand uncle, we know you expect Ighalo to dribble like the days of back men when older striker used to dribble the whole team like below before scoring. But this is modern football we are talking about.

Last edited by 1naija on Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.