X-raying the super eagles under rohr

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

onovo
Egg
Egg
X-raying the super eagles under rohr

Post by onovo »

The super eagles under gernot rohr qualified for the 2018 world cup ahead of their last qualifying match against Algeria. This is a remarkable achievement compared to past qualification. After failing to qualify for the 2015 and 2017 AFCON, the super eagles under rohr qualified for the 2019 AFCON. The team currently is through to the semi final where they will be playing against the desert warriors of Algeria.

However, let me sound a a bit controversial. My personal observation of the super eagles under rohr showed that the team play is focus more on defensive play at the expense attacking football which Nigeria is known for. It is no surprise that rohr has much preferences for midfielders and attackers whom are more defence incline than attack. Within the African football context where most teams play direct football, rohr's pattern of play appears to have worked very well judging from the results of the super eagles.

The implication of rohr's pattern is the lack of transition on the team as it is difficult to successfully string couple of passes together without loosing the ball to opponent. Rohrs' team is lacking the ability to build attack starting by moving the ball from the goalkeeper to to the defenders to the midfielders and to the attackers. Not able to make that seamless flow required in modern football and the global level.

Who cares ! the important thing is the result that matters. I should bother less about what happens beyond Africa and just enjoy AFCON 2019.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: X-raying the super eagles under rohr

Post by ANC »

Wow, Einstein, you arrived at this all by yourself?
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

onovo wrote:The super eagles under gernot rohr qualified for the 2018 world cup ahead of their last qualifying match against Algeria. This is a remarkable achievement compared to past qualification. After failing to qualify for the 2015 and 2017 AFCON, the super eagles under rohr qualified for the 2019 AFCON. The team currently is through to the semi final where they will be playing against the desert warriors of Algeria.

However, let me sound a a bit controversial. My personal observation of the super eagles under rohr showed that the team play is focus more on defensive play at the expense attacking football which Nigeria is known for. It is no surprise that rohr has much preferences for midfielders and attackers whom are more defence incline than attack. Within the African football context where most teams play direct football, rohr's pattern of play appears to have worked very well judging from the results of the super eagles.

The implication of rohr's pattern is the lack of transition on the team as it is difficult to successfully string couple of passes together without loosing the ball to opponent. Rohrs' team is lacking the ability to build attack starting by moving the ball from the goalkeeper to to the defenders to the midfielders and to the attackers. Not able to make that seamless flow required in modern football and the global level.

Who cares ! the important thing is the result that matters. I should bother less about what happens beyond Africa and just enjoy AFCON 2019.

Until u meet a drilled forward line.....what’s the best strikerforce we have played in this tournament....Njie, choupo-motin and co.....our defence looked shot....their GK bailed us out....

Now we are about to meet an even better strike force.....with Mahrez and co....

We beat Algeria.....in the qualifiers playing attacking football....

Have you also noted that during qualifiers....Rohr plays a more attacking flowing football but come tournament time he goes mega defensive....WC (ppl said it is because we played better teams), AFCON...(we are controlling the game with possession)

The issue is that you can play said system with better players....last game Musa messed every counter attack up...why not play Onyekuru? Musa wasn’t helping Collins either...Ighalo couldn’t hold up play, had no shots of any kind, no critical passes...still won’t change him?

This is against Tau and co.....
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

This is obvious. Enjoy the game tomorrow. We can talk later
onovo wrote:The super eagles under gernot rohr qualified for the 2018 world cup ahead of their last qualifying match against Algeria. This is a remarkable achievement compared to past qualification. After failing to qualify for the 2015 and 2017 AFCON, the super eagles under rohr qualified for the 2019 AFCON. The team currently is through to the semi final where they will be playing against the desert warriors of Algeria.

waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Bros you no need x-ray for dis wan sha.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
onovo
Egg
Egg

Post by onovo »

Last night the super eagles lost their semi final match against Algeria in a game the North Africans clearly dominated. I was not surprised by this result if you ask me as I have always have my reservation about Gernot Rohr's pattern of play particularly in this competition despite their results prior to the semi final match. As earlier said, before the semi final, Nigeria had won her earlier matches in the tournament due to the technical level of opposition in terms of the round leather game. No disrespect, most teams in Sub-Sahara Africa plays a direct pattern of football which relies heavily on power, pace, long balls and less of intricate passes, among others. As a result it was a bit easy for the super eagles under Rohr to withstand these opposition by relying heavily on four flat defenders, two deep lying midfielders, and occasionally counter attack.

Rohr's penchant for defensive minded players at the expense of attacking minded and natural ball players akin to the Nigeria's football culture as used in the golden era cost us the tournament. Rohr's team lack ball players starting from the defence to the attack. Each time we get the ball we loose it easily to the opposition. Though we were lucky against Cameroon, but against a technically gifted and skilful Algerians which had the likes of Mahrez, etc. the eagles could not survive it, its defence was always under pressure which resulted in the Algerian first goal.

Our midfielders are not ball players ! One thing is to win the ball ! beyond that you need to be able to make crisp passes or possibly initiate attack otherwise you will loose the ball to your opposition and your team is put under pressure. This is a major weakness of rohr's team. The same goes to the defenders, they are not able to connect with the midfielders as they kept loosing the ball. There seems to be this gap between the defenders and the midfielders as the defenders are not able pass the ball efficiently to the midfielders. Modern football requires fullbacks to be able to support the attackers from the wing thus giving more option for attack. This is where in my opinion Ola Aina would have been effective judging from his pass to Ighalo which resulted to the win against Burundi, however the dude was relegated to the bench because of Rohrs' penchant for defensive minded players against offensive players.

The Algerians simply understood the Eagles attack by simply locking down the wings, this was further complicated by the lack of ball players in the team, as the team could not create chances using the middle. This brings to question Rohr's tactical and technical approach.

I have my doubts if Rohr is the kind of coach Nigeria need if the eagles is to excel beyond Sub-Sahara Africa. The team lost because of lacking in attacking awareness when they are with the ball.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

onovo wrote:

Last night the super eagles lost their semi final match against Algeria in a game the North Africans clearly dominated. I was not surprised by this result if you ask me as I have always have my reservation about Gernot Rohr's pattern of play particularly in this competition despite their results prior to the semi final match. As earlier said, before the semi final, Nigeria had won her earlier matches in the tournament due to the technical level of opposition in terms of the round leather game. No disrespect, most teams in Sub-Sahara Africa plays a direct pattern of football which relies heavily on power, pace, long balls and less of intricate passes, among others. As a result it was a bit easy for the super eagles under Rohr to withstand these opposition by relying heavily on four flat defenders, two deep lying midfielders, and occasionally counter attack.

Rohr's penchant for defensive minded players at the expense of attacking minded and natural ball players akin to the Nigeria's football culture as used in the golden era cost us the tournament. Rohr's team lack ball players starting from the defence to the attack. Each time we get the ball we loose it easily to the opposition. Though we were lucky against Cameroon, but against a technically gifted and skilful Algerians which had the likes of Mahrez, etc. the eagles could not survive it, its defence was always under pressure which resulted in the Algerian first goal.

Our midfielders are not ball players ! One thing is to win the ball ! beyond that you need to be able to make crisp passes or possibly initiate attack otherwise you will loose the ball to your opposition and your team is put under pressure. This is a major weakness of rohr's team. The same goes to the defenders, they are not able to connect with the midfielders as they kept loosing the ball. There seems to be this gap between the defenders and the midfielders as the defenders are not able pass the ball efficiently to the midfielders. Modern football requires fullbacks to be able to support the attackers from the wing thus giving more option for attack. This is where in my opinion Ola Aina would have been effective judging from his pass to Ighalo which resulted to the win against Burundi, however the dude was relegated to the bench because of Rohrs' penchant for defensive minded players against offensive players.

The Algerians simply understood the Eagles attack by simply locking down the wings, this was further complicated by the lack of ball players in the team, as the team could not create chances using the middle. This brings to question Rohr's tactical and technical approach.

I have my doubts if Rohr is the kind of coach Nigeria need if the eagles is to excel beyond Sub-Sahara Africa. The team lost because of lacking in attacking awareness when they are with the ball.
Nice write-ups! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Clean choice of words and to the point. Thanks for posting these.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

onovo wrote:

Chief,

You are right. Gernot Rohr is too defensive minded relying on counter attacks and leaving players in attacking positions isolated. That strategy was NEVER going to win us anything. The Atlanta 1996 Olympics is is the best record of who we are, how we play and how we built our fine pedigree. We need a coach that understands that.

[/video]
onovo
Egg
Egg

Post by onovo »

Goldleaf wrote:
onovo wrote:

Chief,

You are right. Gernot Rohr is too defensive minded relying on counter attacks and leaving players in attacking positions isolated. That strategy was NEVER going to win us anything. The Atlanta 1996 Olympics is is the best record of who we are, how we play and how we built our fine pedigree. We need a coach that understands that.

[/video]
Thanks. Nigeria is a team known for attack, flair and confidence to hold unto the ball as seen in the days of Clemence Westerhof and Jo Bonfrere . When you watch the U-17 boys in 2013, 2015, and currently under Manu Garba, and to some extent Siasia's coached team they play the typical Nigerian way. The defence is very close to the midfield and the midfield is very close to the attack during initial build up play and are mobile. The team keeps moving in that order from their own half as they approach their opponents vital area giving more options in the attack and scoring possibilities as well putting their opponent under pressure by keeping them in their own half. I must say this is lacking in the current team which I earlier wrote about prior to the game against Algeria. As you said, there is no connection between the midfielders and the attackers as the attackers are isolated. Even Germany where Rohr comes from has imbibed that concept of football by changing from their long balls in to a more robust pattern thus leading to their success at the 2018, and even the success of Bayern Munich in Europe. Super Eagles need ball players and not just wrestlers whom can only win the ball and lacks the ability to do something meaningful with it after winning it, leading to loosing it easily to opponent. If possible in the future the team should encourage midfielders in the style of Kelechi Nwakali whom are confident with the ball in the midfield.