The case to keep Rohr for 2022

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

charlie
Egg
Egg
The case to keep Rohr for 2022

Post by charlie »

Preface: This thread is for thoughtful conversation and debate only. To the Rohr haters club, please kindly take a hike.
We already know your agenda.

Now the dust has settled and the emotion of our semi-final loss to Algeria is beginning to simmer, let us think logically.
You want to replace Rohr? Ok, Simple question,...with whom?

Provide your response and your reason why whomsoever you will select as his replacement will be guaranteed to do a better job.
Here are my reasons for extending Rohr's contract until the next WC qualifiers.

1. Continuity & Consistency
Nigeria has consistently improved under Gerhart Rohr. We have qualified for every tournament he has managed, and we have increasingly improved in terms of the results we have achieved.

It took 5 years for Clemens Westerhof to turn Nigeria into the powerhouse we remember today in 1994.
Many of you might forget but in 1990, Algeria beat us 5-1 in the group stage, then 1-0 in the CAF final.
This same Algeria beat us fair and square in 2019.

There is a little bit of a deja vu feeling with this team. The core have been to 2 major tournaments, and have in each, taken a step further than the last. Instead of rolling the dice, I would prefer to give consistency a go and see what we can do in 2022.

2. Easier to destroy than to build
Anyone can rip a team apart, can fire a coach. The question is, who knows the recipe of building a successful team? The road to success is not an easy one, not is it straight forward nor does it reap immediate rewards. It takes hard work, patience and perseverance. This team doesn't need a overhaul. It needs tweaking and improvement, and Rohr is in my opinion best placed to figure out what this is as he knows his team better than any of us..

A Semi-final finish in a competition that saw all I major rivals drop along the way (including the host), especially when you consider we haven't been to an AFCON since 2013, is a good result. We should build on this, not tear it down and start afresh, which is what a new coach will do.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: The case to keep Rohr for 2022

Post by Damunk »

charlie wrote:Preface: This thread is for thoughtful conversation and debate only. To the Rohr haters club, please kindly take a hike.

Now the dust has settled and the emotion of our semi-final loss to Algeria is beginning to simmer, let us think logically.

Provide your response and your reason why whomsoever you will select as his replacement will be guaranteed to do a better job.

Nigeria has consistently improved under Gerhart Rohr. We have qualified for every tournament he has managed, and we have increasingly improved in terms of the results we have achieved.

It took 5 years for Clemens Westerhof to turn Nigeria into the powerhouse we remember today in 1994.
Many of you might forget but in 1990, Algeria beat us 5-1 in the group stage, then 1-0 in the CAF final.

There is a little bit of a deja vu feeling with this team. The core have been to 2 major tournaments, and have in each, taken a step further than the last. Instead of rolling the dice, I would prefer to give consistency a go and see what we can do in 2022.

Anyone can rip a team apart, can fire a coach. The question is, who knows the recipe of building a successful team? The road to success is not an easy one, not is it straight forward nor does it reap immediate rewards. It takes hard work, patience and perseverance. This team doesn't need a overhaul. It needs tweaking and improvement, and Rohr is in my opinion best placed to figure out what this is as he knows his team better than any of us..

A Semi-final finish in a competition that saw all I major rivals drop along the way (including the host), especially when you consider we haven't been to an AFCON since 2013, is a good result. We should build on this, not tear it down and start afresh, which is what a new coach will do.
And which is what we have been doing for 25 years. :idea:

But I suspect your thread will not generate the reasoned discussion it deserves. :unsure:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

charlie wrote:Preface: This thread is for thoughtful conversation and debate only. To the Rohr haters club, please kindly take a hike.

A hot load of nonsense.

Improve from not qualifying?

Is that our standards? Or is that especially for Rohr?

We didn't qualify because of Administrative issues. NFF fight. Oliseh abandoning the team mid way into qualifications.

Is the way Rohr playing the way Naijaria plays? Setups to play like a football minnow.

Comparing him with Westerhoff is sacrilege of the highest order.

We can't lower our standards and expectations for anyone.

We lost to two team not ranked in the top 10 in Africa... so there goes your argument about top teams losing.

And No, he doesn't know the team better than us. We told him for free that a backman is better than Akpeyi, we told him no one goes to the AFCON with only 4 CM. We told him that his teams don't create enough scoring chances because the guy that hid his ineptitude, VicMo is not on the team... he needs similar players who can create on their own.

If he continues, you all will be happy surviving. This is NOT Naija footie. It is unrecognisable.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

You fail to qualify once ADMINISTRATIVE issues okay but 2 times, you're not good enough. This tournament was a success considering where we came from preaching rohr and how we performed at this tournament. The usual ANC 6 games are Finals exclusives
naijaguy
Egg
Egg

Post by naijaguy »

Left for Me, Rohr stays. He may have some flaws, but definitely he didn't fail. He did well
I am just and Ordinary guy being used by an extraordinary God.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

At what stage in ones life can you just admit that you Lost to a QUALITY goal instead of blaming Delusionally? Prior to that goal, the game was evenly matched out just accept defeat, learn from your mistakes and bounce back. The same algeria that defeated us today ROHR stopped them from qualifying for the WC
Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

I'm personally still undecided. I think he has done a good job as SE coach (entire tenure). However one can ignore that the team is clearly not improving and I don't see this changing anytime soon. He is struggling to even execute his tactical play (which I'm personally not a fan off). His performance during this tournament was no more than a 6/10. Typically, I would have said he should stay but I find it difficult to put all this aside. I'm not really satisfied with just qualifying and being competitive, I want feel a bit of hope when we enter games that we are not favoured to win and I don't feel this with Rohr.

Nigeria have not been favourites over the last 15 years hence to win this tournaments we are going to need a moment of tactical brilliance which incurs risk and I just don't see this within Rohr. Keshi's team have put on far better performances against favoured teams: CIV, Argentina, France compared to Rohr (Croatia, Argentina, Algeria). That being said, he doesn't deserved to be sacked.
Zelex-CE World Cup 2010 prediction Winner
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177767
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Rohr has enjoyed a relatively easy ride so far but now the heat is on. He knows that big voices in Nigerian football are calling for his head. Time will tell whether he can adapt his football to the aspirations of Nigerians.
He's living on borrowed times, $1 million compensation for his sacking or not.
I am happy
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Rohr will be very lucky if he remains coach come December, the powers that be in the administrative circle secretly want him gone.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Cellular wrote:
A hot load of nonsense.

We didn't qualify because of Administrative issues. NFF fight. Oliseh abandoning the team mid way into qualifications.

Is the way Rohr playing the way Naijaria plays? Setups to play like a football minnow.

We lost to two team not ranked in the top 10 in Africa... so there goes your argument about top teams losing.
Chief, the CE threads are still there.
Admin issues played a part, but the bulk of the blame fell bang on Keshi's head.
And No, he doesn't know the team better than us. We told him for free that a backman is better than Akpeyi,
So which proven, top quality keepers did you recommend in his place? Nothing easier than ITK's 'shoulda, coulda, woulda' recommendations, becos we'll never know. And this squad was universally commended by almost everyone as about the best we had to offer, save one or two players. That is a rare feat for Nigeria in this modern era.
we told him no one goes to the AFCON with only 4 CM.
So who shoulda, coulda been included that woulda, coulda made a difference? Semi Ajayi? Esiti? Nwakali? Azubuike? Jayjay Okocha? :lol: :lol:
We told him that his teams don't create enough scoring chances because the guy that hid his ineptitude, VicMo is not on the team... he needs similar players who can create on their own.
Remember my pre-WC 'Zero Shots On Target, Is It A Problem?' thread?
What was the response on CE, including from one of the loudest and looniest critics, Zealot? Rohr did more to try and address that particular problem than the whole of CE's recommendations put together. Fact.

Everyone is now an expert after the fact, with NO new ideas other than the antiquated military-era style of sackings and (partial) 'disbandment' plus vague theories of returning to a 'Nigerian brand of football' - a brand that was widely criticised for being "naive" and "indisciplined" and patronisingly praised for being "entertaining".
A brand that Amodu tried to change but lost his job for it, despite his impressive results.

Like I said, the threads during the Keshi (and Siasia) eras are still there.
People, esp Nigerians, have very short memories. :lol:
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Nigerians love blowing hot air. Canada recently lost to a small nation of Haiti in gold cup. Argentina, with Armani, Otamendi, Messi and Aguero could only manage to win the Bronze in copa America. But we are somehow deluded that we have enough talents to always beat the best in the world.
Will firing Rohr solve our problems going forward and is that decision an assurance that things will somehow get better? And we wonder why our nation is centuries behind with all the educated folks in our midst. We will never learn.
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Ekorian wrote:Nigerians love blowing hot air. Canada recently lost to a small nation of Haiti in gold cup. Argentina, with Armani, Otamendi, Messi and Aguero could only manage to win the Bronze in copa America. But we are somehow deluded that we have enough talents to always beat the best in the world.
Will firing Rohr solve our problems going forward and is that decision an assurance that things will somehow get better? And we wonder why our nation is centuries behind with all the educated folks in our midst. We will never learn.
The only thing we have going for us is passion. But passion beclouds logic.
For them to tell us who should take over, problem.
Recycled coaches that they themselves chased out of office after bad results arrived as they inevitably will.
There is simply no consistency or logic to what is being proposed.
Amunike? Are these people serious? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Finidi - a well-loved, dignified and respected world-class player that unfortunately has no proven coaching record.

Agreed, he'd be a Zinadine Zidane-type gamble, but will he even want to touch the poisoned chalice that is the SE job knowing how his well-earned image could be totally ruined after a couple of bad results, or even questionable call-ups?

Ore mi, no thanks. :arrow:
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

From my POV, no case for keeping Rohr unless we've given up and let whatever, happen.
Continuity is only profitable if the foundation is good. Rohr has been in post for over 2 years and we still cannot see progress, other than we qualify for tournaments, other teams do that as well.
Yes it's easier to destroy than to build but it's futile to keep a faulty structure. Better to pull down, salvage any reusable materials and rebuild properly.

2022 is another 3 years away. Anymore of this ish for 3 years will see the SE regress badly.
Rohr must markedly improve, both in tactics and team selection or exit the stage
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Charlie, you are asking for too much. Reminds me of the clamour to repeal obamacare. Ask for a viable alternative and you hear crickets.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

pajimoh wrote:

From my POV, no case for keeping Rohr unless we've given up and let whatever, happen.
Continuity is only profitable if the foundation is good. Rohr has been in post for over 2 years and we still cannot see progress, other than we qualify for tournaments, other teams do that as well.
Yes it's easier to destroy than to build but it's futile to keep a faulty structure. Better to pull down, salvage any reusable materials and rebuild properly.

2022 is another 3 years away. Anymore of this ish for 3 years will see the SE regress badly.
Rohr must markedly improve, both in tactics and team selection or exit the stage
So you are even dismissing the very foundation of this team now?
Kuku disband the whole team nah. :lol:

You have a whole batch of young, talented players in every department already in the SE equation, many brought in by Rohr himself and you say there's "no foundation"?

This is baffling.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

metalalloy wrote:Charlie, you are asking for too much. Reminds me of the clamour to repeal obamacare. Ask for a viable alternative and you hear crickets.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Excellent analogy.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Damunk wrote:
pajimoh wrote:

You have a whole batch of young, talented players in every department already in the SE equation, many brought in by Rohr himself and you say there's "no foundation"?

This is baffling.
On the contrary. I was careful to include "materials that can be reused" . The foundation don't necessarily mean personnel. It can mean the way the team is setup to play, the philosophy of the team. Get that wrong and your personnel will be wrong.

The likes of Akpeyi and a few others must go.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Cellular wrote:

A hot load of nonsense.

And No, he doesn't know the team better than us. We told him for free that a backman is better than Akpeyi, we told him no one goes to the AFCON with only 4 CM. We told him that his teams don't create enough scoring chances because the guy that hid his ineptitude, VicMo is not on the team... he needs similar players who can create on their own.

If he continues, you all will be happy surviving. This is NOT Naija footie. It is unrecognisable.
Cellular, I see you express a lot of criticism a lot of which I disagree with.

However, I don't see you offering any solutions.
If what I have said is nonsense, then why not answer the simple first question I had?
Who will you replace him with that will guarantee we immediately improve as a team?
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Damunk wrote:
metalalloy wrote:Charlie, you are asking for too much. Reminds me of the clamour to repeal obamacare. Ask for a viable alternative and you hear crickets.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Excellent analogy.
Rubbish, Dr. Damunk! Not even close.

I have written about this.

I will do so again over the weekend.

The German should go once his contract expires (in December, if I am correct)
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

pajimoh wrote:
Damunk wrote:
pajimoh wrote:

This is baffling.
On the contrary. I was careful to include "materials that can be reused" . The foundation don't necessarily mean personnel. It can mean the way the team is setup to play, the philosophy of the team. Get that wrong and your personnel will be wrong.

Pajimoh, the foundation of this team is intact and in fact, it is the one thing Rohr cannot be criticized of if anyone is being objective.

We have a young core group of disciplined players with a high level of professionalism, tactical organization minded identity. When was the last time we had players waltzing into camp late, bringing ashewos into camp or creating any scandal whatsoever?

Are the improvements to be made in key areas? Absolutely! Many criticized Uzoho after the WC, and Rohr decided to try a GK that has more playing time in Akpeyi. If clearly hasn't worked and our GK search still clearly isn't over. I am pretty sure he knows that.

If we need more attacking flair, then work with Rohr to get a Nigerian assistant that can not only learn from him but also help to combine his defensive rigidity with Nigerian attacking flair. We need a proper transition plan to be put into place so once Rohr leaves, we are not start from scratch. Its better than returning us to the dark days of the mid 2000s.

We have made significant progress. Let us build on that, not tear it down and start again. Instead build on it.

BTW, Its no shame to have been beaten than likely the best team in this tournament. Before this match, those of us that have been watching the games had expressed significant caution about Algeria. Other than the penalty we scored, that team had only conceded 1 goal to get to the finals.

Algeria are my favorites by far to win it all.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Zelex wrote:I'm personally still undecided. I think he has done a good job as SE coach (entire tenure). However one can ignore that the team is clearly not improving and I don't see this changing anytime soon. He is struggling to even execute his tactical play (which I'm personally not a fan off). His performance during this tournament was no more than a 6/10. Typically, I would have said he should stay but I find it difficult to put all this aside. I'm not really satisfied with just qualifying and being competitive, I want feel a bit of hope when we enter games that we are not favoured to win and I don't feel this with Rohr.

Nigeria have not been favourites over the last 15 years hence to win this tournaments we are going to need a moment of tactical brilliance which incurs risk and I just don't see this within Rohr. Keshi's team have put on far better performances against favoured teams: CIV, Argentina, France compared to Rohr (Croatia, Argentina, Algeria). That being said, he doesn't deserved to be sacked.
I disagree that this team is not improving. We have improved not only in results but also in maturity and gameplay in my opinion.

Pretty much all the goals we conceded were from correctable defensive mistakes.
We were beaten 4 times in open play, 2wice by Cameroon, once by Madagascar, and the own goal by Ekong. All 4 goals were due to clear defensive lapses and unfortunate deflections in the Trost Ekong goal.

We conceded 3 set piece goal, a lucky deflection in the Madagascar and SA games, and the Mahrez FK which was also possible due to a GK positioning mistake.

We have work to do on our concentration levels in key parts of the game, but organizationally, we have improved.
Last edited by charlie on Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

charlie wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
Damunk wrote:
pajimoh wrote:

This is baffling.

Pajimoh, the foundation of this team is intact and in fact, it is the one thing Rohr cannot be criticized of if anyone is being objective.

We have a young core group of disciplined players with a high level of professionalism, tactical organization minded identity. When was the last time we had players waltzing into camp late, bringing ashewos into camp or creating any scandal whatsoever?

Are the improvements to be made in key areas? Absolutely! Many criticized Uzoho after the WC, and Rohr decided to try a GK that has more playing time in Akpeyi. If clearly hasn't worked and our GK search still clearly isn't over. I am pretty sure he knows that.

If we need more attacking flair, then work with Rohr to get a Nigerian assistant that can not only learn from him but also help to combine his defensive rigidity with Nigerian attacking flair. We need a proper transition plan to be put into place so once Rohr leaves, we are not start from scratch. Its better than returning us to the dark days of the mid 2000s.

We have made significant progress. Let us build on that, not tear it down and start again. Instead build on it.

BTW, Its no shame to have been beaten than likely the best team in this tournament. Before this match, those of us that have been watching the games had expressed significant caution about Algeria. Other than the penalty we scored, that team had only conceded 1 goal to get to the finals.

Algeria are my favorites by far to win it all.
Again, the foundation of the team might not necessarily mean personnel change but philosophy of the team. Through that, you can get the best of the talents you have to perform at their optimum, in a style they are comfortable with.
A good example is Pochetino. All he did was change the philosophy of the team. Insist on giving your best regardless of selection and increased fitness level with a pressing game. Those who could not cope where sold and he looks for players with a certain profile for the team.
We cannot say because we have a young team, the foundation is there. We have the materials. The foundation is how they are structured in the team. Then they must improve their understanding and contribution to the team.
I look at the team of 1994. They had identity and philosophy. Once they get the ball, with "one touch" passing, they move with blinding speed into the opponents 18 before they could even set to defend. Once commentator even described it as "athletic" football.

Against Algeria, when we attack, before we get to their 18, they've had enough time to get 5 men behind the ball. We take too many touches a d too far apart from each other to effectively pass the ball and string passes together. It reflects on our overall possession stats.
Philosophy is very important and discernable style of play. I'm struggling to see it in this team.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Nigerians have been patient with Rohr and would have been prepared to be more patient if there were sogns that the team could be more creative in attack. Being a defensive team should not mean that you are hopeless when it comes to creating chances. Amodu, for instance, focused on strong defensive performances but his teams could score and create chances as well. Rohr's tactical rigidity so far is not encouraging. My own take is that we see what he does in our games until December and make a call. If we keep seeing the same from him then we have to find someone new.