Senegal vs Algeria final - Some Thoughts

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Senegal vs Algeria final - Some Thoughts

Post by camex »

Heliopolis wrote:
camex wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:
camex wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:Dummy Yujam always talks about certain teams choking. Why isn't his unintelligent self talking about perennial chokers Senegal? Easily the most overrated team in African footy history.
They are not overrated. They lost to the best team of the tournament. They have made it to the quarter finals of the world cup. Something only few africans teams have achieved.
And they have yet to win a trophy, something many African teams have achieved.

Senegal is like the Ghana team of the past 15 years. Solid defensive players which keeps them competitive in every match but little talent up front to score goals and win matches.

Keep hyping them up as you wish...they do not have the attacking talent to achieve anything in the coming years. In fact, given how CAF has reverted to the previous WCQ format, Senegal will be at a disadvantage. Any team that goes up against them in a playoff will go for the first goal and then be content to sit back and watch Senegal bang their heads against a wall.
Egypt has never been the quarter finals of the world cup. Are they really the best african side? Are they overrated?
Pay attention. What does Egypt have to do with a conversation about the 2019 Senegalese national team? Shall we now start talking about Cameron's team, Cameroonian politics, and Paul Biya's wife's hair?
There are multiple metrics to measure teams. Winning the African cup of nations is not the only one.
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

camex wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:
camex wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:
camex wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:Dummy Yujam always talks about certain teams choking. Why isn't his unintelligent self talking about perennial chokers Senegal? Easily the most overrated team in African footy history.
They are not overrated. They lost to the best team of the tournament. They have made it to the quarter finals of the world cup. Something only few africans teams have achieved.

Senegal is like the Ghana team of the past 15 years. Solid defensive players which keeps them competitive in every match but little talent up front to score goals and win matches.

Keep hyping them up as you wish...they do not have the attacking talent to achieve anything in the coming years. In fact, given how CAF has reverted to the previous WCQ format, Senegal will be at a disadvantage. Any team that goes up against them in a playoff will go for the first goal and then be content to sit back and watch Senegal bang their heads against a wall.
Egypt has never been the quarter finals of the world cup. Are they really the best african side? Are they overrated?
Pay attention. What does Egypt have to do with a conversation about the 2019 Senegalese national team? Shall we now start talking about Cameron's team, Cameroonian politics, and Paul Biya's wife's hair?
There are multiple metrics to measure teams. Winning the African cup of nations is not the only one.
What is the metric for success for a team like Senegal at the African Cup of Nations? Impressing members of a discussion board? You are grasping at straws my friend...
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

Heliopolis wrote:
camex wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:
camex wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:
camex wrote:

What is the metric for success for a team like Senegal at the African Cup of Nations? Impressing members of a discussion board? You are grasping at straws my friend...
You claim they are perennials chockers. I am saying their record at the world cup is decent. They lost in 2002 to an excellent Cameroon team and to a very good algerian team this year. I dont see anything that justifies your statement of them as the most overrated african team.
blackjack
Egg
Egg

Post by blackjack »

First of all I wanna congratulate and thank Egypt for the organization.
They managed to provide good quality infrastructures despite having to organize a 24 team tournament on such short notice. They deserve credit for that.

I also want to congratulate Senegal, Nigeria and Côte d'Ivoire. They have great players and it was really hard to beat them.

I think many teams in this tourney showed some flaws and some qualities.

In the case of Algeria, we dominated all our opponents when we were not in the lead(including senegal in the first round). But once we scored a goal against a big team we always parked the bus and wasted all counter attack opportunities.

I think every team should see this tournament as a stepping stone for the future. Rely on the things that worked and improve on things that didn't.

The next objective for every African team should be to qualify at the next wc and then aim for the semi finals.

Good luck to all
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

blackjack wrote:First of all I wanna congratulate and thank Egypt for the organization.
They managed to provide good quality infrastructures despite having to organize a 24 team tournament on such short notice. They deserve credit for that.

I also want to congratulate Senegal, Nigeria and Côte d'Ivoire. They have great players and it was really hard to beat them.

In the case of Algeria, we dominated all our opponents when we were not in the lead(including senegal in the first round). But once we scored a goal against a big team we always parked the bus and wasted all counter attack opportunities.

I think every team should see this tournament as a stepping stone for the future. Rely on the things that worked and improve on things that didn't.

The next objective for every African team should be to qualify at the next wc and then aim for the semi finals.

Good luck to all
Congrats on winning the cup! It was a long wait. Mahrez literally didn't feature in the final (no fault of his) due to the negative football after taking the lead. I've seen this mentality at the World Cup from Egyptian and Tunisian sides too and it's not a good one at all. It only worked this time because Senegal were very poor in the final 3rd. At the world cup, this strategy does not work.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Orion wrote:
blackjack wrote:First of all I wanna congratulate and thank Egypt for the organization.

Good luck to all
Congrats on winning the cup! It was a long wait. Mahrez literally didn't feature in the final (no fault of his) due to the negative football after taking the lead. I've seen this mentality at the World Cup from Egyptian and Tunisian sides too and it's not a good one at all. It only worked this time because Senegal were very poor in the final 3rd. At the world cup, this strategy does not work.
Tell that to Italy in 2006,this is not a club football,you do what it takes to win the dam thing.