Zlatan: MLS IS A RETIREMENT LEAGUE

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Zlatan: MLS IS A RETIREMENT LEAGUE

Post by mcal »

...see poor corrupt ridden Africans nay Nigerians dissing a rich and progressive league.
I wonder how many European clubs are in Nigeria playing their tune-up matches at your corrupt top notch league aka NPL.
onwuatuegwu
Egg
Egg

Post by onwuatuegwu »

mcal wrote:...see poor corrupt ridden Africans nay Nigerians dissing a rich and progressive league.
I wonder how many European clubs are in Nigeria playing their tune-up matches at your corrupt top notch league aka NPL.
Honestly, the hypocrisy here makes me wonder if these people are real or just bots. They lack shame...smdh :???:
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

onwuatuegwu wrote:
mcal wrote:...see poor corrupt ridden Africans nay Nigerians dissing a rich and progressive league.
Honestly, the hypocrisy here makes me wonder if these people are real or just bots. They lack shame...smdh :???:
...baffling. Person wey no fit wipe him nyansh dey complain another person nyansh dey smell. Instead of keep mute dem dey yab better league.
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
Bell wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Bell wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:To be honest the league is poor...it isn't competitive. The playoffs...no relegation or promotion....

THAT'S WHAT'S GREAT ABOUT IT

Relegation/promotion is a relic. American leagues have thrived without it. It works for the European leagues but I bet if they were starting all over, they wouldn't have it either. Meanwhile, Zlatan should be ready for a drubbing when they meet.
Bell
We have fallen into the trick of looking at football through a Western Eurocentric lens and believing that every football system should resemble it.
AN ASTUTE OBSERVATION, AND...

…unfortunately, in sports and other works of life. People just fail to think independently and simply copy whatever Europe is doing, whether it fits or not.
Bell
em, Europe started football, Europe runs football, you and your people are the ones who joined FIFA...so why don't you think for yourslef? Did yall create football? yall watch their leagues, your players all want to play there... so please do not make me laugh :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: most leagues in the world all have relegation/promotion.... this aint NFL, Bball, ICe Hockey or Baseball.... the saddest part yall pay cable bills to watch their football...your NBCs spends so much on the EPL, even BR/TNT just spent so much on their Champs league...smh none of you can list the starting 11 of the MLS team in your city etc..so get away with the unintelligent comments about everyone copying europe

Why did yall do away with shootouts after ET? oops you decided to copy Europe?

[/video]

trying to turn football into ice hockey :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :scared: :scared: :scared: :rotf: :rotf:
:clap: :clap: :clap:
End of story. It's their thing. Simple fact
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Galaxy superstar Zlatan Ibrahimovic must be appreciated before he’s gone

By KEVIN BAXTERSTAFF WRITER
JULY 20, 2019 4:28 PM

When Trevor Orme visited California from the midlands of England this spring, he walked along the beach at Malibu, marveled at the Giant Sequoias and experienced the wonders of Yosemite.

All of which were lovely. But the most remarkable thing the 83-year-old saw here was Zlatan Ibrahimovic scoring a goal.

Perhaps someday they’ll have top-flight soccer in England. But for now when Orme thinks of the sport, his memories aren’t of Old Trafford, White Hart Lane or Stamford Bridge. It’s of a cool evening in Carson and a game-winning goal from a player whose braggadocio sometimes overshadows his brilliance.

“That was the highlight of the holiday,” he said.

Too bad Orme wasn’t at Dignity Health Sports Park on Friday when Ibrahimovic was at his best, putting on another performance that was somehow both remarkable and routine at the same time. As he has done repeatedly in his 16 months in MLS, Ibrahimovic put the Galaxy on his back and carried them to an improbable victory, this one a 3-2 win over LAFC in the fourth edition of a cross-town rivalry that is already pushing USC-UCLA as the most intense in Southern California.

He had all three of his team’s scores, each goal more important – if not more spectacular -- than the one preceding it. But unlike Yosemite, the ageless redwood forests or the sunset over Paradise Cove, Ibrahimovic has to be appreciated now because he may not be here much longer.

In a career in which he has lifted 33 trophies and played for some of the best teams in the world – Juventus, Barcelona, Ajax, both Milans, Manchester United, Paris Saint-Germain – Ibrahimovic has never stayed in one place long. Since 2004 he has spent more than two seasons with the same club just twice.

He’s more than halfway through his second season with the Galaxy and there are hints he may be ready for another move.

In recent weeks he’s railed against MLS travel, the officiating, the salary cap and the league’s playoff structure. And he’s taken regular digs at the quality of play here, which he has clearly found disappointing.

“Of all the places I’ve been in my life as a professional, this is the most difficult,” he said in a recent interview with ESPN. “MLS is not the level of Europe, to be honest. Before, I played with players either on my level or close to it. Which makes the game connect easier.

“Here I am like a Ferrari among Fiats.” :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A Ferrari that is way more expensive and temperamental than a garage full of Fiats. So the Galaxy may not protest too loudly if Ibrahimovic walks away with from his league-record $7.2 million contract, which accounts for more than 40% of the team’s total payroll. :lol: :lol: :lol: :taunt: :taunt: :lol: :lol:

After Friday’s win, the Galaxy had the second-best record in the league yet Ibrahimovic’s frustration with his teammates is often palpable. When they don’t get him the ball, he gestures angrily; during a recent game in Cincinnati, he protested by lying down on the field. :laugh:

“I had the same issue with the [Swedish] national team,” he told ESPN. “I don’t accept when the ball doesn’t arrive, or arrives too late. I want them to come up to my level. (Tenk God you are not a Nigerien :laugh: :laugh: )

“All of this makes me slow down a bit. The game here [in America] could be so much faster, so much more tactical, so much more rhythmic.”

It is when Ibrahimovic is playing. Consider the range he displayed in scoring his three goals Friday.

The first was all technique, with Ibrahimovic using his chest to settle a pass from Julian Araujo and his right leg to lift the ball over a defender before volleying a right-footed shot into the net from the edge of the box to tie the game.

The second was mostly strength and desire with Ibrahimovic going over the top of defender Jordan Harvey, who had perfect position, to head in a bending cross from Diego Polenta and give the Galaxy the lead. And the third was all about space, with Ibrahimovic taking a nifty back-heel pass from Favio Alvarez, pushing the ball forward with his first touch, then rifling a left-footed shot inside the far post for what proved to be the winning goal.

It wasn’t the first time Ibrahimovic has simply refused to let his team lose. Three distinctly different goals, each one crucial to keeping the Galaxy unbeaten in El Trafico, the biggest stage on which he has played since coming to MLS.

In the four games with LAFC, Ibrahimovic has six goals. But so does LAFC’s Carlos Vela, the only player to have scored in all four El Traficos – none of which his team won.

Vela’s two scores Friday gave him a league-best 21. Ibrahimovic is second with 16. LAFC leads MLS with 14 wins, the Galaxy is second with 12. Twenty-one games into the season Vela, 30, is the league’s MVP and Ibrahimovic, 37, is the league’s best player.

“Comparing [us] would show a lack of respect towards him,” Vela said in Spanish. “But if we look at the stats and forget age and whatever, I’m better than him right now, that’s the reality.

“He’s been Zlatan and only [Lionel] Messi and Cristiano [Ronaldo] are better than him. The rest of us aren’t in the same league.”

Vela was speaking figuratively but come next season, he and Ibrahimovic may literally not be in the same league. Vela will still be in MLS but Ibrahimovic? Who knows?

The Galaxy have five regular-season home games and then a likely but uncertain playoff run left in 2019. After that, Ibrahimovic may fade beyond the horizon like the sunset at Paradise Cove, leaving nothing but memories of miracles to remember him by.

Kevin Baxter writes about baseball, soccer and anything else he can get a press pass for at the Los Angeles Times.
MORE FROM THE LOS ANGELES TIMES

https://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/s ... ick-galaxy
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Samora Machel wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
Bell wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Bell wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:To be honest the league is poor...it isn't competitive. The playoffs...no relegation or promotion....

THAT'S WHAT'S GREAT ABOUT IT

Relegation/promotion is a relic. American leagues have thrived without it. It works for the European leagues but I bet if they were starting all over, they wouldn't have it either. Meanwhile, Zlatan should be ready for a drubbing when they meet.
Bell
We have fallen into the trick of looking at football through a Western Eurocentric lens and believing that every football system should resemble it.
AN ASTUTE OBSERVATION, AND...

…unfortunately, in sports and other works of life. People just fail to think independently and simply copy whatever Europe is doing, whether it fits or not.
Bell
em, Europe started football, Europe runs football, you and your people are the ones who joined FIFA...so why don't you think for yourslef? Did yall create football? yall watch their leagues, your players all want to play there... so please do not make me laugh :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: most leagues in the world all have relegation/promotion.... this aint NFL, Bball, ICe Hockey or Baseball.... the saddest part yall pay cable bills to watch their football...your NBCs spends so much on the EPL, even BR/TNT just spent so much on their Champs league...smh none of you can list the starting 11 of the MLS team in your city etc..so get away with the unintelligent comments about everyone copying europe

Why did yall do away with shootouts after ET? oops you decided to copy Europe?

[/video]

trying to turn football into ice hockey :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :scared: :scared: :scared: :rotf: :rotf:
:clap: :clap: :clap:
End of story. It's their thing. Simple fact

IT'S THEIR THING, BUT...

…you take it and modify it to suit you. That's how America makes progress. That's why you hardly see any change in things (I'm sorry) Africa builds.

I like to joke that I'm glad the computer was not discovered in Africa because it would have remained the same: large, powerless and only a handful built (because only the ogas need it). Just look at the trucks modified for transportation, the canoes used for fishing/transportation, the stone used for grinding grains, the mortar/pestle combo, the agbada, the music instrument, farming implements, the mud huts, etc.
Bell
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Anyone who understands the American culture knows that it’s built on the concept of going against the grain in continual pursuit of excellence. Therefore, there will always be tweaking, testing and improving. To attract serious investment needed to rapidly grow and develop professional soccer, the idea of promotion/ relegation - alien to the very successful American professional sport landscape - was going to be a big hindrance. Notwithstanding, I expect continued steady progress from the MLS. Rome wasn’t built in a day.
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

MLS is a top five league in the world. EPL, La Liga, German league are ahead of MLS. Everybody else is on the same level as MLS. Didn't Okocha retire at EPL after he had gone to the middle east? Didn't Defoe retire in the EPL after coming to the MLS and couldn't hack it and ran back to the EPL? Excuse me!!
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

kolinzo wrote:MLS is a top five league in the world. EPL, La Liga, German league are ahead of MLS. Everybody else is on the same level as MLS. Didn't Okocha retire at EPL after he had gone to the middle east? Didn't Defoe retire in the EPL after coming to the MLS and couldn't hack it and ran back to the EPL? Excuse me!!
You are confident that Serie A, Ligue 1, Belgian and Portuguese leagues are at the same level as MLS? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

MLS is not even up to the level of the Championship. :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

green4life wrote:Anyone who understands the American culture knows that it’s built on the concept of going against the grain in continual pursuit of excellence. Therefore, there will always be tweaking, testing and improving. To attract serious investment needed to rapidly grow and develop professional soccer, the idea of promotion/ relegation - alien to the very successful American professional sport landscape - was going to be a big hindrance. Notwithstanding, I expect continued steady progress from the MLS. Rome wasn’t built in a day.
...glutinous Nigerian don't abide by that.
They want it now, and they want it even if na bribe and corruption e go take.
That's the quagmire Nigeria and her people are in.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

mcal wrote:
green4life wrote:Anyone who understands the American culture knows that it’s built on the concept of going against the grain in continual pursuit of excellence. Therefore, there will always be tweaking, testing and improving. To attract serious investment needed to rapidly grow and develop professional soccer, the idea of promotion/ relegation - alien to the very successful American professional sport landscape - was going to be a big hindrance. Notwithstanding, I expect continued steady progress from the MLS. Rome wasn’t built in a day.
MCAL don come back oooo! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: So much humiliation drove you out of Cybereagles abi? Zlatan, a 45 year old is the best player in your league. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

mcal wrote:
YESSS!! WE want you to pay your wives NOW! pay them NOW! PAY THEM NOW! wicked person! you want the women to be waiting for decades abi? Whether is quagmire or keg of palm wine! we dont care! pay the women now! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

danfo driver wrote:
kolinzo wrote:MLS is a top five league in the world. EPL, La Liga, German league are ahead of MLS. Everybody else is on the same level as MLS. Didn't Okocha retire at EPL after he had gone to the middle east? Didn't Defoe retire in the EPL after coming to the MLS and couldn't hack it and ran back to the EPL? Excuse me!!
You are confident that Serie A, Ligue 1, Belgian and Portuguese leagues are at the same level as MLS? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Serie A is one of the leagues above MLS, I don't doubt that (I realized I didn't put in my initial post). However, the rest of the leagues you mentioned are on par with the MLS to say the least.
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

kolinzo wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

Serie A is one of the leagues above MLS, I don't doubt that (I realized I didn't put in my initial post). However, the rest of the leagues you mentioned are on par with the MLS to say the least.
No they aren't.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

kolinzo wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Anyone who watches football will just read your post and laugh! Thanks for the joke. :lol: :lol:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

In 10-15yrs, at current growth trajectory, the MLS will be the top league in the Americas. Given the resources already in it and planned, it will become a major destination for S. American players and coaches.

Meanwhile, for those Nigerians twerking about Zlatan's comments, where will the Nigerian league be in 10-15yrs?
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

MLS is not the level of Europe, to be honest. Before, I played with players who are either at my level, or close to it. Which makes the game connect easier... Here, I am like a Ferarri amongst Fiats...
[/video]

I am supposed to ignore the words of a man who is suffering the pain and instead, listen to nonentities on a football forum, who know nothing. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: hissss.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...so if MLS is a fiat, why are those European Ferraris coming to play against fiats for their pre-seasons.
Yeah, i understand it's only a scrimmage, but lowering your standard :???: :???:
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

mcal wrote:...so if MLS is a fiat, why are those European Ferraris coming to play against fiats for their pre-seasons.
Yeah, i understand it's only a scrimmage, but lowering your standard :???: :???:
They're coming to America not the MLS.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

txj wrote:

In 10-15yrs, at current growth trajectory, the MLS will be the top league in the Americas. Given the resources already in it and planned, it will become a major destination for S. American players and coaches.

Meanwhile, for those Nigerians twerking about Zlatan's comments, where will the Nigerian league be in 10-15yrs?
Almiron, Martinez and now Brian Rodriguez are all players who years ago would have been signed by Boca, River, one of the Brazilian teams or would have even moved straight to Europe but now MLS teams are picking them up.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

kalani JR wrote:
mcal wrote:...so if MLS is a fiat, why are those European Ferraris coming to play against fiats for their pre-seasons.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Gbosai! See as you slap Mcal!

Dude thinks they are coming to play MLS teams, when the US is paying tens of millions for Real Madrid to come and play Bayern on their soil. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: So that US fans can see what football truly is, once a year. Afte this summer, na to go back to dey watch Fiats. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

kalani JR wrote:
txj wrote:

Almiron, Martinez and now Brian Rodriguez are all players who years ago would have been signed by Boca, River, one of the Brazilian teams or would have even moved straight to Europe but now MLS teams are picking them up.

yup! They show up to MLS, make sh1t load of money and become the best players in MLS-- within 3 years, they pack up and move to a mid-bottom table club in Europe-- like Almiron moving to Newcastle.

Even Tyler Adams a 19 year old American, who was the best Central Midfielder in their league had to pack up and run to Red Bull in Germany :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

kalani JR wrote:
...time for them to go see tourism in Nigeria :lol: