The Eagles team that played WCQ in "18 would've won AFCON

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

goldenera94
Egg
Egg
The Eagles team that played WCQ in "18 would've won AFCON

Post by goldenera94 »

Judging by Mikel and Moses forms back then, no team would beat us at AFCON
Goldenera94
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The Eagles team that played WCQ in "18 would've won AFCO

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

As someone from Cameroon once said. Naija always wins the ANCs that we don't participate in.

Like 1996 and 1998 :sneaky:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:As someone from Cameroon once said. Naija always wins the ANCs that we don't participate in.
KPOM. That is always the case. Let's forget that Omeruo was better at this AFCON than at the WC. Let's forget that Collins/Aina provided better option than Idowu did at the WC? There are many things we can play in our heads that aren't reality. Perhaps, our AFCON team could have beaten Argentina.n Perhaps, .....
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

goldenera94 wrote:Judging by Mikel and Moses forms back then, no team would beat us at AFCON

But what if our goal was to go and learn, and perhaps reach semi-finals if possible?
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

By the way, can someone please tell TFCO to come of out hiding in Tema? The ANC has finished, and we have forgotten that Ghana didn't win.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Enugu II wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:As someone from Cameroon once said. Naija always wins the ANCs that we don't participate in.
KPOM. That is always the case. Let's forget that Omeruo was better at this AFCON than at the WC. Let's forget that Collins/Aina provided better option than Idowu did at the WC? There are many things we can play in our heads that aren't reality. Perhaps, our AFCON team could have beaten Argentina.n Perhaps, .....
But Moses created most of our chances during the qualifiers. You can't discard that!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
goldenera94
Egg
Egg

Post by goldenera94 »

I meant the team that played qualifying matches for World Cup 2018. Mikel and Moses forms would overwhelm any African team at that material time

Enugu II wrote:
Goldenera94
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

goldenera94 wrote:I meant the team that played qualifying matches for World Cup 2018. Mikel and Moses forms would overwhelm any African team at that material time

Enugu II wrote:
goldenera94,

On paper that is. It is not always certain on the field of play. Going into this AFCON, on paper many would have put Nigeria ahead of Algeria but when both teams met, what happened?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Enugu II wrote:
goldenera94 wrote:I meant the team that played qualifying matches for World Cup 2018. Mikel and Moses forms would overwhelm any African team at that material time

Enugu II wrote:
goldenera94,

On paper that is. It is not always certain on the field of play. Going into this AFCON, on paper many would have put Nigeria ahead of Algeria but when both teams met, what happened?
Rohr happened. That's why I think his time with the SE is done.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:By the way, can someone please tell TFCO to come of out hiding in Tema? The ANC has finished, and we have forgotten that Ghana didn't win.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: TFCO is not in hiding. He is locked-up. He is yet to complete the terms of his sentence.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

cchinukw wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Enugu II wrote:
goldenera94,

Rohr happened. That's why I think his time with the SE is done.
Okay, so Rohr could have happened as well with the World Cup team, one assumes. Right? :rotf: :rotf:
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Enugu II wrote:
This AFCON squad was better organized and and defensively better against set pieces than the WC squad.
We also had a much improved Odion Ighalo. So yes, it is not impossible to assume this AFCON squad was an improved version of the WC squad.

That said, these kinds of comparisons are all guess work, not founded in reality.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

:rotf: A team that failed to qualify just can’t win!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

We would have won this AFCON had Algeria not taken everyone by surprise and regained their form as the current best team in Africa. That World Cup qualifying side would not have defeated this Algerian side but I think they would have given them a harder game with Moses in the team, and Obi and Balogun in much better form.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Eaglezbeak wrote::rotf: A team that failed to qualify just can’t win!

:lol:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Orion wrote:We would have won this AFCON had Algeria not taken everyone by surprise and regained their form as the current best team in Africa. That World Cup qualifying side would not have defeated this Algerian side but I think they would have given them a harder game with Moses in the team, and Obi and Balogun in much better form.
Orion

Na real was. So Senegal would just have laid down for Nigeria? Btw, Senegal has had the upper hand against Nigeria in recent games and would have been favored in the final against Nigeria. Thus, your claim is a bit unusual. Sure Nigeria would have had chance but Senegal definitely would have been the favored team.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

The team that didn't qualify for the AFCON would've won the AFCON. :D
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

A Ugandan could say the same ....
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Enugu II wrote:
Orion wrote:We would have won this AFCON had Algeria not taken everyone by surprise and regained their form as the current best team in Africa. That World Cup qualifying side would not have defeated this Algerian side but I think they would have given them a harder game with Moses in the team, and Obi and Balogun in much better form.
Orion

Na real was. So Senegal would just have laid down for Nigeria? Btw, Senegal has had the upper hand against Nigeria in recent games and would have been favored in the final against Nigeria. Thus, your claim is a bit unusual. Sure Nigeria would have had chance but Senegal definitely would have been the favored team.
Senegal is a good side but they had an easier path to the final. They struggled against Tunisia and were easily handled by Algeria TWICE. Couldn't score a single goal in 180 minutes. I would say both teams are about even but had we reached the final I would have given Nigeria the slight edge mentally due to the fact we've played the final game more times and won the cup 3 times.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Orion wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Orion

Senegal is a good side but they had an easier path to the final. They struggled against Tunisia and were easily handled by Algeria TWICE. Couldn't score a single goal in 180 minutes. I would say both teams are about even but had we reached the final I would have given Nigeria the slight edge mentally due to the fact we've played the final game more times and won the cup 3 times.
As a Nigerian fan you would and of course you would have also expected Nigeria to beat Algeria ands perhaps every other African foe. But most of the world definitely would not. Note that Nigeria had lost to Madagascar and Senegal lost to who? Algeria, a team that had literally destroyed the opposition throughout. No neutral would have picked Nigeria as favorite against Senegal in the final. Thus, I am talking about persons who aren't biased in their analysis or had a 'horse in the race.' Note that Senegal had also recently demonstrated its strength over Nigeria in recent face-to-face contests.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Nigerians are DELUSIONAL hard to accept that they aren’t the best team in Africa. Just keep working hard and working on your weaknesses eventually you can become the best. The best team won followed by Senegal (2nd best
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Enugu II wrote:
Orion wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Orion

As a Nigerian fan you would and of course you would have also expected Nigeria to beat Algeria ands perhaps every other African foe. But most of the world definitely would not. Note that Nigeria had lost to Madagascar and Senegal lost to who? Algeria, a team that had literally destroyed the opposition throughout. No neutral would have picked Nigeria as favorite against Senegal in the final. Thus, I am talking about persons who aren't biased in their analysis or had a 'horse in the race.' Note that Senegal had also recently demonstrated its strength over Nigeria in recent face-to-face contests.
This is all based on if we'd gotten there of course. The fact is we never got there but had we reached the final I'm not so sure it would have been a clear cut Senegal is seen as the favourite. People would take history into account as well. The team that has reached the final more times and won 3 cups (against the other team's 0 cups) can't just be written off as underdogs.

You talk about Senegal's recent dominance over Nigeria... are you talking about that closed friendly match that was like a kick in the park or the U20 world cup game?

Things ebb and flow of course but Nigeria has been the more dominant of both sides in both youth and senior football over the years. Our last U20 and U23 wins were in Senegal and we defeated Senegal at home if I'm not mistaken.

As for senior football, we've got a better H2D, even if you break it down to recent times like in the last 20 years.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/nigeria/tab ... n/Senegal/
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

The level of the fitness of the Algerians in AFCON was unreal. Despite playing into extra time against CIV in the quarter finals and playing a day later than Nigeria, they still appeared fitter than the SE.
Following the claims by Manchester City that Mahrez could not play in the Community Shield because of some doping issues with the Algerian national team during the competition, I think the Algerians should be investigated for doping.
I am happy