Battle of the Strikers: WHO WINS?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg
Battle of the Strikers: WHO WINS?

Post by chief nfachairman »

As the season starts (Belgium started already), we need to preview our Players in each position.

Below is a list of Nigerian Strikers in the Tier 1 and Tier 2 leagues (Except Onuachu who made AFCON else he wouldn't be on this list). Considering that we go with 3 strikers in every SE squad, who would win these slots by end of this season.

*Ofcourse, those that fail can always make it to the U23.

We currently have 10 strikers either playing in the Top 5 leagues or in the Champions League.

1. David Okereke (Club Brugge, Belgium/ Champions League): His club is playing in in the Champions League. He's already banging in goals in Belgium (3 goals in 2 league games). Can he bang in enough goals in europe and subsequently knock off Ighalo, Osimhen or Onuachu?

[/video]

2. Victor Osimhem (Lille, France): After a wonderful season in Chaleroi last season, it took him only 1 full season of professional football to make a 15m euro move to the TOp 5 league. Can he bang in goals and retain his spot?

3. Awoniyi (Mainz 05, Bundesliga): Rumors have it that he is a few details away from signing for Nice (Loan). 15-20 goals in Lique 1 would certainly earn him a call up to the SE.

4. Onuachu (FC Midtjl, DEN): We understand Anderlecht is no longer chasing his signature. If he remains in Denmark, only a performance better than his past 4 seasons would make him retain his SE spot amidst serious competition.

5. Ighalo (Shanghai Greenland, China): Baba na Baba. If fit, he retains his spot considering that he has made a Uturn on international retirement.

6. Nacho (Leicester, EPL): Had a torrid 2018/19 season but seems his confidence is back with his pre-season displays. Can he bang in atleast 15goals to earn a callup and a shirt in the SE?

7. Isaac Success (Watford, EPL): first, Isaac must win a starting shirt in Watford. secondly, he must bang in more goals than Kelechi to earn that callup. Can he? Again, this criteria might not hold if he plays as a winger this season.

8. Stephen Odey (Genk, BEL/ Champions League): Would be in the CHampions league this season. He has a tallll task. He has to battle the hot Mbwana Samatta who scored 23 goals (2nd highest goal scoer in Belgium) last season. Already, he started the season as an unused sub. He has to take the CL and Belgian league by storm with sublime displays and atleast 20goals.

9. Anthony Ujah (Union Berling, BUndesliga): After a sub role last season for Mainz, Ujah has found himself in Union looking for regular playing time. He woudl be up against direct competition from his countryman, Suleiman Abdullai. Can he bang in enough goals to attract the attention of our German coach?

10.Suleiman Abdullai (Union Berling, BUndesliga):Last season, played 19 matches for his club starting 12, and helping them gain promotion to the Bundesliga. Referred to as a powerful and physical striker, he could just win a starting shirt. If he becomes a starter and bangs in atleast 10goals in the Bundesliga, we are 100% sure our German coach would be inviting him to the SE.

[/video]

11. Chuba Akpom (Paok, Greece/ Champions League): THo had injury problems, he won games for PAok and thats why he'll be leading the line for Paok in the champions league. But he has a tall tree to climb.

The video is sweet sha. He killed the Shaku shaku step at the end.
[/video]

12. Josh Maja (Bordeaux, France): MOved to Bordeaux january 2019 (From Sunderland) and had a goal to his name. Very skillful dribbler. Maja might just spring a surprise.

[/video]

Next: Battle of the wingers
Last edited by chief nfachairman on Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Battle of the Strikers: WHO WINS?

Post by pajimoh »

you've swapped the vidoes around
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

All our strikers except ighalo and Onuachu play in Top Leagues and Top Teams. I think this is the hottest we have been in a while in the striking dept.
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

chief nfachairman wrote:All our strikers except ighalo and Onuachu play in Top Leagues and Top Teams. I think this is the hottest ON PAPER we have been in a while in the striking dept.

Let me put those emphases in, considering the Naija coach and what we just experienced in Egypt. You can give a caveman diamonds but he couldn't tell them apart from marbles. I am referring to the man at the helm.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Would dump Onuachu and Sunday Odey - too lightweight.
Add Chuba Akpom who will be playing CL football this season with PAOK Thessaloniki (GRE).
Also would not write off Simy Nwankwo.
chief nfachairman wrote:All our strikers except ighalo and Onuachu play in Top Leagues and Top Teams. I think this is the hottest we have been in a while in the striking dept.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Otitokoro wrote:Would dump Onuachu and Sunday Odey - too lightweight.
Add Chuba Akpom who will be playing CL football this season with PAOK Thessaloniki (GRE).
Also would not write off Simy Nwankwo.
chief nfachairman wrote:All our strikers except ighalo and Onuachu play in Top Leagues and Top Teams. I think this is the hottest we have been in a while in the striking dept.
Yeah - Chuba defo deserves a call up.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

If Ighalo stays retired, the battle for his spot is btw Okereke, Osimhen, and Onuachu. Simy Nwakwo is another one we shouldn't forget.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

olu wrote:If Ighalo stays retired, the battle for his spot is btw Okereke, Osimhen, and Onuachu. Simy Nwakwo is another one we shouldn't forget.
Onuachu? Dennis Bonaventure nko?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Remove Onauchi from the list ASAP
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Iheanacho, Onauchi, Awoniyi, Osimhen, Chikatara and maybe Success. Okereke is not ready. Should be part of the U23 team for now. Certainly not Abdullahi or Ujah or Odey.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...unfortunately we can only have 23 players at big tournaments, and 11 players on the field at given match.
And when any of the touted strikers is picked and failed to perform, detractors will say, 'well I told you so'.
na naija thing :biggrin:
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

ohenhen1 wrote:Iheanacho, Onauchi, Awoniyi, Osimhen, Chikatara and maybe Success. Okereke is not ready. Should be part of the U23 team for now. Certainly not Abdullahi or Ujah or Odey.

What am I missing here, is he just unlucky?
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Another reason why I want Rohr gone.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Tobi17 wrote:
olu wrote:If Ighalo stays retired, the battle for his spot is btw Okereke, Osimhen, and Onuachu. Simy Nwakwo is another one we shouldn't forget.
Onuachu? Dennis Bonaventure nko?

Dennis is a winger/ support striker but plays more on the wings for Brugge
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

ANC wrote:Another reason why I want Rohr gone.
Cos he didn't invite awoniyi?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

chief nfachairman wrote:
12. Josh Maja (Bordeaux, France): MOved to Bordeaux january 2019 (From Sunderland) and had a goal to his name. Very skillful dribbler. Maja might just spring a surprise.

[/video]
Very impressed. How did you spot this guy?
Never heard of him before now.
Strong, compact, quick feet and what I really like is his sudden changes in direction which I have always felt was a key trait of many of our greats like Okocha, Finidi and Amuneke.

So he's in the same team as Kalu?

Wiki says he had a season-ending knee injury in April after scoring his debut goal for Bordeaux.
Hope he recovers in time for the new season.

Need to keep an eye out for him. :thumb:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Transfer: Rohr reacts as Osimhen signs for Lille

https://dailypost.ng/2019/08/03/transfe ... lille/amp/

Head coach of the Super Eagles, Gernot Rohr, has hailed Victor Osimhen’s move from Sporting Charleroi to Lille.

Osimhen completed the transfer this week, after the Ligue 1 club agreed a €12m fee including bonuses for the 20-year-old.

Rohr, speaking with SportingLife, urged the former U-17 striker to maximize the oppportunity.

“I knew already while we were in Egypt during the last AFCON that Victor (Osimhen) will go to Lille of France because he spoke with me about this club. I kept telling him that it was a good choice and I am very happy about it.

“Victor can progress very much by playing for the club in Ligue 1 and most importantly in the Champions League. Right now we (Super Eagles) don’t have any player (playing) in the Champions League this season.

“I hope that he will be able to play for the Lille in the Champions League. I believe he can. He must put in hard work to first break into Lille’s first team which I belief he has the talent and the quality to do so.

“I am optimistic. Its a good chance for him now to find the position in the attack of the Super Eagles. But he has to play which is not easy in such a big team like Lille. So we expect to see a lot from him in France. This is good for the Super Eagles,” Rohr said.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Damunk wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:

[/video]
Strong, compact, quick feet and what I really like is his sudden changes in direction which I have always felt was a key trait of many of our greats like Okocha, Finidi and Amuneke.

Wiki says he had a season-ending knee injury in April after scoring his debut goal for Bordeaux.

Bro,
he was at the camp in london and was invited after the senegal friendly. He trained with the SE.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

chief nfachairman wrote:
Damunk wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:

[/video]

Bro,
he was at the camp in london and was invited after the senegal friendly. He trained with the SE.
The pre-AFCON friendly?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

So Awoniyi to Mainz complete.

I can bet, if he scores 5 goals before December, our anything German and French is best coach would invite him to the national team.

Nigeria has never had it so good with 10 strikers playing in the top Leagues of Europe/ European competitions.

Ighalo and Onuachi better watch out.

BTW, Akpom scored on tues in the Champions league qualifiers against Ajax.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Ighalo has retired and should move on. Nigeria should focus on developing players like Iheanacho, Awoniyi and Osimhen. I hope iheanacho can rediscover his form.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
MYMIND
Egg
Egg

Post by MYMIND »

chief nfachairman wrote:So Awoniyi to Mainz complete.

I can bet, if he scores 5 goals before December, our anything German and French is best coach would invite him to the national team.

Nigeria has never had it so good with 10 strikers playing in the top Leagues of Europe/ European competitions.

How about the Orji guy at Bologna?
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

MYMIND wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:So Awoniyi to Mainz complete.

How about the Orji guy at Bologna?
He's currently in the MLS.