The day Enugu Rangers took on Nigeria's relay team

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
The day Enugu Rangers took on Nigeria's relay team

Post by cic old boy »

4 of the fastest Enugu Rangers players in a sprint relay against the Nigerian national relay team. Who do you think won?

Rangers legend Sam "404" Onyeaka tells the story.
https://www.naijiant.com/sports/the-day ... -own-game/
http://www.naijiant.com/
Igugu
Egg
Egg
Re: The day Enugu Rangers took on Nigeria's relay team

Post by Igugu »

Seeing the picture of Onyeaka in that post brought back memories of my old days at National Stadium, Lagos. Never missed any Eagles' or Rangers' encounter at the stadium. It is a shame everything about Nigeria has gone down the drain.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

a little leg walk might yield videos or even still photos
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Kako
Egg
Egg

Post by Kako »

Emmanuel Merenini, Charles Adimora, Emeka Onyedika :thumbs:
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

HMMMMM, SOUNDS LIKE A TALL TALE

How come no one thought of drafting the Rangers' players (or some of them) to take the place of the Olympians? The explanation that they chose to focus on football instead of track is hard to believe - they could easily have gone to the Olympics and returned to football and lost nothing. Those Olympians, even if they didn't win any medals, were elite runners. What then does that make the players? How did opponents keep up with them on the football field? And no one knew of them before this race?
Bell
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

CIC,
I'm not sure Sam Onyeaka was faster than a prime Emeka Onyedika...

Sam Onyeaka 'arrived' at Rangers 1975(?)...by then Emeka Onyedika had been 'slowed' by a nagging hamstring issue...

This tale by Onyeaka apparently happened during the hamstring-plagued years of Emeka Onyedika...

1973-74 was prime Emeka Onyedika (Renaissance newspaper sportswriters aptly dubbed him "404 Touchline Wizard")

I remember my dad often lamenting: "Major problem with Onyedika is he runs faster than the ball.." :lol: :lol:
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Mods, please move to soul to soul forum if we don't have tales by moonlight forum.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

FATHER TIKO wrote:CIC,

Sam Onyeaka 'arrived' at Rangers 1975(?)...by then Emeka Onyedika had been 'slowed' by a nagging hamstring issue...

This tale by Onyeaka apparently happened during the hamstring-plagued years of Emeka Onyedika...

1973-74 was prime Emeka Onyedika (Renaissance newspaper sportswriters aptly dubbed him "404 Touchline Wizard")

I remember my dad often lamenting: "Major problem with Onyedika is he runs faster than the ball.." :lol: :lol:
...Emeka Onyedika, the real 'outside right' player of the days. His grass cutter shots was of legend :thumbs:
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Bell wrote:HMMMMM, SOUNDS LIKE A TALL TALE

How come no one thought of drafting the Rangers' players (or some of them) to take the place of the Olympians? The explanation that they chose to focus on football instead of track is hard to believe - they could easily have gone to the Olympics and returned to football and lost nothing. Those Olympians, even if they didn't win any medals, were elite runners. What then does that make the players? How did opponents keep up with them on the football field? And no one knew of them before this race?
Bell
I have been told that Charles "Wagner" Adimora has confirmed the story after it was posted on the ex Rangers Whatsapp group. He also said: "Just to keep the record straight. Sam Onyeaka is not faster than Wagner, quote me".

I doubt anyone would have left football in those days for track, even temporarily. Track athletes were considered inferior to footballers all the way from secondary school.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Tiko, you could be right. My memories of Onyedika were from the injury years. I think it was Sam Onyeaka that we knew as running faster than the ball. I also asked him to settle the debate Rangers fans used to have about whether Onyedika (pre-injury) was better than Segun Odegbami. Onyeaka said "Owusu" Onyedika was better, faster and more skillful. I still find it hard to believe.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

cic old boy wrote:

Tiko, you could be right. My memories of Onyedika were from the injury years. I think it was Sam Onyeaka that we knew as running faster than the ball. I also asked him to settle the debate Rangers fans used to have about whether Onyedika (pre-injury) was better than Segun Odegbami. Onyeaka said "Owusu" Onyedika was better, faster and more skillful. I still find it hard to believe.
Onyeaka is probably showing an understandable bias for Onyedika...
Onyedika was undeniably faster than Odegbami (with or without the ball)
...Onyedika's speed on the ball made him an absolute nightmare as a wide player...

However, for all-round ability...Odegbami edges it for me (and I watched both in their prime)...

Onyedika was a pre-cursor to Odegbami in the GEagles...He looked to have absolutely pocketed the #7 shirt before his hamstring issues began to take their toll...And then Odegbami came along...

Might have been interesting to witness the battle between the two wingers if Onyedika had not succumbed to injury crisis...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Let me sweet the belle of yeye Rangers people small :thumbs:

African Cup of Champions Clubs Quarter-Final (2nd Leg): Rangers 2-1 Green Buffalos F.C. | Sept. 1975

[/video]

Saturday, September 27th 1975.

Footage of Nigerian team Enugu Rangers defeating Green Buffalos of Zambia 2-1 in the second leg of a quarter-final match of the African Cup of Champions Clubs tournament.

Rangers came from a goal down and went through to the semi-final having drawn 2-2 with their Zambian opponents two weeks earlier in Lusaka.

The first goal of the match came in the 70th minute of the second half courtesy of the Buffalos skipper Lonesome Katiwa, who capitalised on a defensive error by Rangers captain, Christian Chukwu. But right-winger, Emeka Onyedika scored the equaliser a few minutes later. Foster Ikeagwu made it 2-1 in the 81st minute.

Footage: Reuters News Archive.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

YemiBrazil wrote:Let me sweet the belle of yeye Rangers people small :thumbs:

African Cup of Champions Clubs Quarter-Final (2nd Leg): Rangers 2-1 Green Buffalos F.C. | Sept. 1975

[/video]

Footage of Nigerian team Enugu Rangers defeating Green Buffalos of Zambia 2-1 in the second leg of a quarter-final match of the African Cup of Champions Clubs tournament.

Rangers came from a goal down and went through to the semi-final having drawn 2-2 with their Zambian opponents two weeks earlier in Lusaka.

The first goal of the match came in the 70th minute of the second half courtesy of the Buffalos skipper Lonesome Katiwa, who capitalised on a defensive error by Rangers captain, Christian Chukwu. But right-winger, Emeka Onyedika scored the equaliser a few minutes later. Foster Ikeagwu made it 2-1 in the 81st minute.

Your best post ever on this forum :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Damn, you guys are good. What a nice thread - all round. Impressive, thx guys! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

:clap: :clap:
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Rangers did have their moments. However, they had their disasters too.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Bell
Bell, it is not uncommon for athletes from different disciplines to engage in impromptu and unofficial sparring sessions. It is important to note that the names of members of the so-called track team were not mentioned. More than likely, they were random picks from a training group so it’s a bit of a stretch to claim that Rangers players beat the national track team.

Having said all that, I want to assert, as I have on a previous occasion, that Sunday Izebvighie is the best athlete that ever played football for the national team. This isn’t mere speculation. He was amongst the best sprinters and jumpers in Nigerian track and field history. Indeed, he was the first Nigerian known to have jumped 50 feet and better in the triple jump. In addition, he jumped over 26 feet in the long jump and in 1971, he recorded a personal best of 10.3 seconds in the 100 meter dash :!:

Cheers.
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bell
Not sure which year this was supposed to have happened but Nigeria won the Gold medal in the 1973 All-Africa Games 4X100m men, beating Ghana to silver.
Ghana meanwhile won the Gold in the 100m men and both Gold & Silver in the 200m men, so they were no slouches.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics ... rica_Games
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

[/video]

Until you post Ranger vs Bendel Insurance match for the Final of Challenge Cup at National Stadium, Lagos, 1978/79, I will give you 90% for now.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Igugu wrote:

[/video]

Until you post Ranger vs Bendel Insurance match for the Final of Challenge Cup at National Stadium, Lagos, 1978/79, I will give you 90% for now.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

cic old boy wrote:

Bell
I have been told that Charles "Wagner" Adimora has confirmed the story after it was posted on the ex Rangers Whatsapp group. He also said: "Just to keep the record straight. Sam Onyeaka is not faster than Wagner, quote me".

I doubt anyone would have left football in those days for track, even temporarily. Track athletes were considered inferior to footballers all the way from secondary school.
Cic old boy,

But isn't Emma Merenini on that forum? He should be able to confirm or deny that story. I do not know what to make of the story but only to state that all those footballers were super fast but beating sprinters is at another level oo! If they did it, then it would have been something to behold.

BTW, Sam has stories to tell. Some are absolutely fascinating. I had interviewed him once and he told about police dogs being paid more than players during his playing days (match day fee for dogs v match bonus). I did the story for a Nigerian newspaper. I was surprised afterwards when the story became widely circulated without due acknowledgment.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Igugu wrote:

[/video]

Yeah, I remember that one. Wasn't the score 3-0, or 2-0, Bendel Insurance? Rangers were totally shocked
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Damunk wrote:Not sure which year this was supposed to have happened but Nigeria won the Gold medal in the 1973 All-Africa Games 4X100m men, beating Ghana to silver.
Ghana meanwhile won the Gold in the 100m men and both Gold & Silver in the 200m men, so they were no slouches.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics ... rica_Games
I think it happened b/w 1975 and 1977. Sam Onyeaka joined Rangers around 75 and the other ex-Rangers player who was gisting with us in Seattle, Donald "Stone" Igwebuike, wasn't with Rangers when it happened. He left CIC in 1977 straight to Rangers.