Etim Esin

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Etim Esin

Post by Gotti »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:There are less than a handful of Nigerian players with comparable talent to Jay-Jay’s. The most obvious was Godwin Ogbueze. Mathias Obianika and Haruna Ilerika had considerable and significant dribbling skills, as did Christian Madu, who had general open field savvy as well. Samson Siasia also had his moments :!:
Kai! I forgot about ‘Pele’...

Arguably the best, but never did it at the Eagles’ level...
Kicked all over Nigeria (when it was a legal tactic), and quickly lost to the US collegiate system.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Bell wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:There are less than a handful of Nigerian players with comparable talent to Jay-Jay’s. The most obvious was Godwin Ogbueze. Mathias Obianika and Haruna Ilerika had considerable and significant dribbling skills, as did Christian Madu, who had general open field savvy as well. Samson Siasia also had his moments :!:

Cheers.
GOOD LIST OF PLAYERS YOU DREW UP THERE, AND...

...with the exception of Madu, I'm familiar with their plays and levels. That's why I feel confident that Haruna Ilerika was clearly on a different level compared to them. He was at one time the offensive backbone of the SE, something that can't be said of any of the other players. As a matter of fact, I have a real problem choosing between Okocha and Haruna.
Bell
Bell, Mathias Obianika was arguably the most influential player in the early Rangers International lineup. His dribbling and ball control were incomparable and he was the closest to a number 10 that they had early on. Indeed, he was a precursor to the likes of Okocha. To put it in context, the Mighty Jets had Sam Garba Okoye and the Rangers International had Mathias Obianika :!:

Christian Madu was a second generation Rangers International player, by way of Great Olympics of Ghana. He ended up in Rangers after terrorizing Emmanuel Okala in a Club of Champions encounter and the latter insisted he would quit the Rangers if they didn’t go and sign him. He was all that and a bag of chips :!:

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Damunk wrote:
Bell wrote:

Cheers.

...with the exception of Madu, I'm familiar with their plays and levels. That's why I feel confident that Haruna Ilerika was clearly on a different level compared to them. He was at one time the offensive backbone of the SE, something that can't be said of any of the other players. As a matter of fact, I have a real problem choosing between Okocha and Haruna.
Bell
But Haruna was unable to nail down a permanent spot in the then Green Eagles.
Wasn't it Muda that was keeping him out?
No sir, definitely not. Haruna Ilerika was a centre forward and played for the Green Eagles between 1971 and 1975 and I’m almost certain he was a member of the AAG gold medal squad in 1973. Muda joined the National team much later :!:

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Sir V wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Bell wrote:

Cheers.

Bell
He did. He was in the National team years before Muda. After the Nigeria/Ghana sports festival in 1975, Father Tiko invited the young stars like Odiye. Usiyan, best Ogedegbe to camp, that was when Muda took that position from Ilerika. Muda was more of an intelligent player than Ilerika.
Sir V, you are mostly correct except for the fact that Haruna Ilerika was not a midfielder. He, like Godwin Ogbueze, was a centre forward :!:

Cheers.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Gotti wrote:
Damunk wrote:But Haruna was unable to nail down a permanent spot in the then Green Eagles.
Banish the thought...
Haruna Illerika was probably the first name on the teamsheet in the early 1970s.

Muda Lawal did not make his Eagles debut till 1975 (his real coming out party was 1976 AFCON)...
Xtian Madu was just as great a dribbler as Haruna and Jay-Jay, but not quick enough for Father Tiko.
Thanks.
Didn't realise Haruna was one generation before Muda.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Bell wrote:

Cheers.

Bell
No sir, definitely not. Haruna Ilerika was a centre forward and played for the Green Eagles between 1971 and 1975 and I’m almost certain he was a member of the AAG gold medal squad in 1973. Muda joined the National team much later :!:

Cheers.
Yes, I'm just realising this. :thumb:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Bell wrote:

Cheers.

Bell

Cheers.
Ilerika, in terms of his actual position on the field (Not his jersey number) was an attacking mid from the left. Note that throughout his career he had a striker playing. At the AAG and shortly after, the striker was Sunny Oyarekhua and at the AFCON 1976 it was Usiyan (Oyarekhua when Usiyan was injured at that tournament). The fact that many speak of Ilerika as a No. 9 for SE demonstrates more than ever the continued erasure of Oyarekhua's career from the memory of Nigerian fans. Yet, he delivered when it mattered in those days.

It was not Muda who took Ilerika's position, in any case. Ilerika was a starter at the AAG where he was one of the young players. However, after the AAG, the team was virtually disbanded with Tiko and three other Yugoslavs appointed to build a new team. ILerika was still on the team but was not favored as other players including Emeteole came into competition for that position. Ilerika, however, was a starter again, midpoint into the AFCON of 1976 and shortly after before he left the team. At that point it was Kelechi before Iwelumo then took over the position. It is important to also note that some of Ilerika's problems after the AAG were based on his insistence that he could not stay in the camp because he had a young daughter to take care of. Thus, he often joined training from home in Lagos. Just my tuppence.
Last edited by Enugu II on Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Etim "Maradona" Esin arrived at a time when Nigeria was desperate for a new hero. The set that won the 1980 AFCON had faded and the set Onigbinde took to CIV in 1984 were good but not hitting the high levels. Esin was hyped and the 1987 Junior World Cup was meant to be his coming out party. For his teams Iwuanyanwu Nationae of Owerri, Flash Flamingoes of Benin and Calabar Rovers, Esin will often produce moments of brilliant flashes and genius and then disappear into obscurity. I remember he scored a wonder goal in Lagos during the Junior World Cup qualifiers after a dribbling waltz past 3 or 4 players and he got the nickname "Maradona".

Before the trip to Chile, however, Esin got shot in the thigh in Lagos and all hell broke loose. The nation wanted him patched up because of his importance. The tournament turned out to be a washout as Brazil smashed us 3-0 in the opener. Esin was on the pitch the day Okwaraji died in the goalless draw against Angola. There were far too many matches where he was anonymous but his hype lingered because of the handful of clever touches meant mainly to impress the fans. He will later move to Belgium where again, all we heard was hype than the real thing. He ran back to Nigeria after he was allegedly declared wanted for a rape case.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Goldleaf wrote:Etim "Maradona" Esin arrived at a time when Nigeria was desperate for a new hero. The set that won the 1980 AFCON had faded and the set Onigbinde took to CIV in 1984 were good but not hitting the high levels. Esin was hyped and the 1987 Junior World Cup was meant to be his coming out party. For his teams Iwuanyanwu Nationae of Owerri, Flash Flamingoes of Benin and Calabar Rovers, Esin will often produce moments of brilliant flashes and genius and then disappear into obscurity. I remember he scored a wonder goal in Lagos during the Junior World Cup qualifiers after a dribbling waltz past 3 or 4 players and he got the nickname "Maradona".

Before the trip to Chile, however, Esin got shot in the thigh in Lagos and all hell broke loose. The nation wanted him patched up because of his importance. The tournament turned out to be a washout as Brazil smashed us 3-0 in the opener. Esin was on the pitch the day Okwaraji died in the goalless draw against Angola. There were far too many matches where he was anonymous but his hype lingered because of the handful of clever touches meant mainly to impress the fans. He will later move to Belgium where again, all we heard was hype than the real thing. He ran back to Nigeria after he was allegedly declared wanted for a rape case.
It was like a national emergency.
I think he broke camp rules and was out partying that night when he got shot by armed robbers.
I still don't know how a footballer that took a bullet in the thigh was able to get patched up and fit to play in a WC tournament barely weeks later.

Part of our national folklore. :D
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Bell wrote:

Cheers.

Bell

Cheers.
Ilerika, in terms of his actual position on the field (Not his jersey number) was an attacking mid from the left. Note that throughout his career he had a striker playing. At the AAG and shortly after, the striker was Sunny Oyarekhua and at the AFCON 1976 it was Usiyan (Oyarekhua when Usiyan was injured at that tournament). The fact that many speak of Ilerika as a No. 9 for SE demonstrates more than ever the continued erasure of Oyarekhua's career from the memory of Nigerian fans. Yet, he delivered when it mattered in those days.

It was not Muda who took Ilerika's position, in any case. Ilerika was a starter at the AAG where he was one of the young players. However, after the AAG, the team was virtually disbanded with Tiko and three other Yugoslavs appointed to build a new team. ILerika was still on the team but was not favored as other players including Emeteole came into competition for that position. Ilerika, however, was a starter again, midpoint into the AFCON of 1976 and shortly after before he left the team. At that point it was Kelechi before Iwelumo then took over the position. It is important to also note that some of Ilerika's problems after the AAG were based on his insistence that he could not stay in the camp because he had a young daughter to take care of. Thus, he often joined training from home in Lagos. Just my tuppence.
Wow, that was very selfless of him.
Thanks EII.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

I will always maintain that Etim Esin was one of Nigeria's greatest ever players despite his relatively short career. IMO, he was better than Okocha, mainly on his physical strength something which Okocha lacked. Etim could do anything JayJay did, only he was much stronger with thighs like tree trunks. I saw Etim make the legendary Cameroonian defender, Kunde, look helpless as kicking Etim had no effect. It's a shame he never got to play with Okocha.
I am happy
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Why is there so little tape on this guy? The little video I saw on youtube was super underwhelming compared to the hype sha...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Etim was a talented player and like Okocha, often dribbles for showboating sake. He also reminds me of Ndubuisi Okosieme. Another master dribbler with little or no end results.

By the way, wasn't Etim the player shot in the thigh by armed robbers and his career took a downward trajectory after the incident?
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

DIMKA76 wrote:[/video]

abeg wake us when you find a video of him heighting and nutmegging Arsenal players or Kenyans, while eating a sandwich.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Goldleaf wrote:Etim "Maradona" Esin arrived at a time when Nigeria was desperate for a new hero. The set that won the 1980 AFCON had faded and the set Onigbinde took to CIV in 1984 were good but not hitting the high levels. Esin was hyped and the 1987 Junior World Cup was meant to be his coming out party. For his teams Iwuanyanwu Nationae of Owerri, Flash Flamingoes of Benin and Calabar Rovers, Esin will often produce moments of brilliant flashes and genius and then disappear into obscurity. I remember he scored a wonder goal in Lagos during the Junior World Cup qualifiers after a dribbling waltz past 3 or 4 players and he got the nickname "Maradona".

Your post captured my thoughts exactly. I utterly concur with you. Dude used to beg me for money and drinks back in the days (early 90s). He was everywhere (Niteshift, The Den, etc) in Ikeja with his Toyota Celica car back in the days.
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

iworo wrote:

Your post captured my thoughts exactly. I utterly concur with you. Dude used to beg me for money and drinks back in the days (early 90s). He was everywhere (Niteshift, The Den, etc) in Ikeja with his Toyota Celica car back in the days.
Everything you said is correct but for one small detail, Naija beat Angola 1-0 via a Stephen Keshi (RIP) Goal. Angola had a penalty saved by David Ngodingha (sp).
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
Kneedeep
Egg
Egg

Post by Kneedeep »

Unpopular opinion: Etim may have been a rascal off the field, but he was better at timing his passes and laying off the ball for team mates. I don't remember him dribbling himself into a corner.

But we like atilogu so....
Advocating rational thought since 1987
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Kneedeep wrote:Unpopular opinion: Etim may have been a rascal off the field, but he was better at timing his passes and laying off the ball for team mates. I don't remember him dribbling himself into a corner.

But we like atilogu so....
hmmmm :sneaky:
AFCON 2019 sweet o

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

abeg wake us when you find a video of him heighting and nutmegging Arsenal players or Kenyans, while eating a sandwich.
So these are his highlights? :rotf: :rotf:
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

The YeyeMan wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

So these are his highlights? :rotf: :rotf:

abeg help me ask them o. If they are going to compare him to Okocha, dude better be performing serious tricks.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Hmmm, but see JJ early in his European journey how useless he was lol

[/video]
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Damunk wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Bell wrote:

Cheers.

Bell

Cheers.

OK, damunk, I THINK...

…your question has been answered adequately by gotti and sir v.
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Enugu II wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Bell wrote:

Cheers.

Bell

Cheers.

HARUNA INDEED WAS NO. 9, BUT...

…he played not as traditional center fwd whose main thing was to score but played as a M/F behind the other four fwds. Up front, he was flanked on the left by Donbraye (11, left winger) & Mambo (10, inside left), and on the right by Oyarekhua (8, inside right) and Njoku (7, right winger). Mambo and Oyarekhua were the primary scorers thanks to the work of Ilerika who supplied passes for easy goals after discombobulating defenses.
Bell