Etim Esin

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bell
Egg
Egg
Re: Etim Esin

Post by Bell »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
Bell wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:There are less than a handful of Nigerian players with comparable talent to Jay-Jay’s. The most obvious was Godwin Ogbueze. Mathias Obianika and Haruna Ilerika had considerable and significant dribbling skills, as did Christian Madu, who had general open field savvy as well. Samson Siasia also had his moments :!:

Cheers.
GOOD LIST OF PLAYERS YOU DREW UP THERE, AND...

...with the exception of Madu, I'm familiar with their plays and levels. That's why I feel confident that Haruna Ilerika was clearly on a different level compared to them. He was at one time the offensive backbone of the SE, something that can't be said of any of the other players. As a matter of fact, I have a real problem choosing between Okocha and Haruna.
Bell
Bell, Mathias Obianika was arguably the most influential player in the early Rangers International lineup. His dribbling and ball control were incomparable and he was the closest to a number 10 that they had early on. Indeed, he was a precursor to the likes of Okocha. To put it in context, the Mighty Jets had Sam Garba Okoye and the Rangers International had Mathias Obianika :!:

Christian Madu was a second generation Rangers International player, by way of Great Olympics of Ghana. He ended up in Rangers after terrorizing Emmanuel Okala in a Club of Champions encounter and the latter insisted he would quit the Rangers if they didn’t go and sign him. He was all that and a bag of chips :!:

Cheers.
(THE LATE) OBIANIKA WAS ONE OF THE PROMINENT MEMBERS IN THE RANGERS LINEUP, ALTHOUGH...

…my recollection of him was as a pacy fwd who played on the right side for the Rangers and later for the Eagles. In terms of ranking as attacker, I'd place him slightly behind Dominic "Alhaji" Nwobodo and Kenneth Abana. All positions considered, I'd place him also behind Okala, Chukwu and Ezeani.
Bell
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Bell wrote:
Bell wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:There are less than a handful of Nigerian players with comparable talent to Jay-Jay’s. The most obvious was Godwin Ogbueze. Mathias Obianika and Haruna Ilerika had considerable and significant dribbling skills, as did Christian Madu, who had general open field savvy as well. Samson Siasia also had his moments :!:

Cheers.

...with the exception of Madu, I'm familiar with their plays and levels. That's why I feel confident that Haruna Ilerika was clearly on a different level compared to them. He was at one time the offensive backbone of the SE, something that can't be said of any of the other players. As a matter of fact, I have a real problem choosing between Okocha and Haruna.
Bell
Bell, Mathias Obianika was arguably the most influential player in the early Rangers International lineup. His dribbling and ball control were incomparable and he was the closest to a number 10 that they had early on. Indeed, he was a precursor to the likes of Okocha. To put it in context, the Mighty Jets had Sam Garba Okoye and the Rangers International had Mathias Obianika :!:

Christian Madu was a second generation Rangers International player, by way of Great Olympics of Ghana. He ended up in Rangers after terrorizing Emmanuel Okala in a Club of Champions encounter and the latter insisted he would quit the Rangers if they didn’t go and sign him. He was all that and a bag of chips :!:

Cheers.
(THE LATE) OBIANIKA WAS ONE OF THE PROMINENT MEMBERS IN THE RANGERS LINEUP, ALTHOUGH...

…my recollection of him was as a pacy fwd who played on the right side for the Rangers and later for the Eagles. In terms of ranking as attacker, I'd place him slightly behind Dominic "Alhaji" Nwobodo and Kenneth Abana. All positions considered, I'd place him also behind Okala, Chukwu and Ezeani.
Bell
Bell, Obianika was a first generation Rangers International. All the players you mentioned, except for Dominic Nwobodo, were all 2nd generation. You seem to be forgetting that Rangers International was already arguably the best club-side in Nigerian football before the arrival of Abana, Okala then Ezeani and Chukwu; and Nwobodo, in particular, was the main beneficiary of Obianika’s potent skills :!:

Cheers.
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

Oga Oloye did you play any games against him in the local league?
I ran into him about two months ago on the Island.
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Bell wrote:(THE LATE) OBIANIKA WAS ONE OF THE PROMINENT MEMBERS IN THE RANGERS LINEUP, ALTHOUGH...

Bell
Your recollection of Obianika’s role is more accurate than TTK’s...
The No. 10 role for the first generation of Rangers was filled by Chukwuma Egweonu (or Igweonu).

Obianika often played wide out on the right side of Rangers’ attack, while Kenneth Abana was inside-right or support striker to Dominic Nwobodo. Subsequently, when Godwin Adimachukwu joined Rangers as an out-and-out right winger, Obianika moved inside (in a virtual IR/SS role).
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Gotti wrote:
Bell wrote:(THE LATE) OBIANIKA WAS ONE OF THE PROMINENT MEMBERS IN THE RANGERS LINEUP, ALTHOUGH...

Bell
The No. 10 role for the first generation of Rangers was filled by Chukwuma Egweonu (or Igweonu).

Obianika often played wide out on the right side of Rangers’ attack, while Kenneth Abana was inside-right or support striker to Dominic Nwobodo. Subsequently, when Godwin Adimachukwu joined Rangers as an out-and-out right winger, Obianika moved inside (in a virtual IR/SS role).
Gotti, how old were you in 1970? Answer truthfully :!:

Cheers.
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Gotti wrote:

Bell

Cheers.
And where does Ogidi Ibeabuchi the wing wizard, Kenneth Ilodigwe etc fit in this recollection of Rangers stars of old?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Sir V wrote:
scholl wrote:
DIMKA76 wrote:[/video]

:lol: :lol: Not a good look IMHO.
How did he miss that? :) :)
Even the opposition goalkeeper joined Etim to do "mogbe" :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

azuka wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Bell

Cheers.
And where does Ogidi Ibeabuchi the wing wizard, Kenneth Ilodigwe etc fit in this recollection of Rangers stars of old?
I am not exactly sure what you mean but in terms of era, Ogidi along with Emeka Onyedika were later additions to the Rangers International and overlapped with Obianika at the tail end of his career. I don’t believe Ilodigwe and Ogbueze got to play with Obianika :!:

Cheers.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

azuka wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Bell

Cheers.
I am not exactly sure what you mean but in terms of era, Ogidi along with Emeka Onyedika were later additions to the Rangers International and overlapped with Obianika at the tail end of his career. I don’t believe Ilodigwe and Ogbueze got to play with Obianika :!:

Cheers.

Both Kendo and Ogbueze did play with Mathias. You do not have to look far to find this out. For instance, Obianika was sub in the Challenge Cup final of 1974 (v Mighty Jets) replacing Forster Ikeagu. Kendo started that match.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Gotti wrote:

Bell

Cheers.
Gotti's answer - What are you talking about? I didn't exist, the world didn't exist :rotf: :laugh:
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
MrAaron
Egg
Egg

Post by MrAaron »

Sir V wrote:How good was Etim ? I never had the opportunity to watch him.

[/video]
First, I greet everyone in this forum. Just joined.
ETIM JOHN ESIN was spectacular. I had the opportunity of watching him, Haruna and Jay Jay from scratch, and in all sincerity, it's difficult for me to say any was better than the others, although Jay Jay of course had the opportunity of a long career in Europe. Two things led to a premature termination of Etim's career; the gunshot before Chile '87 and the concorted 'rape' case in Begium, otherwise, the Etim I saw playing for Calabar Rovers, Flash and Iwuanyanwu was pure world class.
MrAaron
Egg
Egg

Post by MrAaron »

DIMKA76 wrote:I don't think so. Etim Esin couldn't dribble. He was overhyped.
REALLY? Are you sure you saw Etim play?
MrAaron
Egg
Egg

Post by MrAaron »

olu wrote:Hope people commenting actually saw him play. Anyone born after 1980 probably shouldn't comment because you probably aren't old enough to really have seen Esin in his prime.
Absolutely in support, given some really laughable comments I read here. The real Etim was the one that played right here for Calabar Rovers, Iwuayanwu and Flash. His career in Europe was prematurely truncated. That botched deal with Benfica would have been the real gate opener.
MrAaron
Egg
Egg

Post by MrAaron »

Damunk wrote:
Bell wrote:

Cheers.

Bell
But Haruna was unable to nail down a permanent spot in the then Green Eagles.
Wasn't it Muda that was keeping him out?
Haruna Ilerika had his time just before Muda Lawal. In fact the two played different positions in midfield. Remember that the coming of Father Tiko changed the Green Eagles' playing philosophy to a more direct one, compared to Pena's Brazilian style which suited Ilerika perfectly.
MrAaron
Egg
Egg

Post by MrAaron »

Bell wrote:

Cheers.

Bell

Cheers.
:clap: :clap: :clap: Yeeees Sir! But where do you place Stanley Okoronkwo?
MrAaron
Egg
Egg

Post by MrAaron »

Enugu II wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Bell wrote:

Cheers.

Bell
But Haruna was unable to nail down a permanent spot in the then Green Eagles.
Wasn't it Muda that was keeping him out?
No sir, definitely not. Haruna Ilerika was a centre forward and played for the Green Eagles between 1971 and 1975 and I’m almost certain he was a member of the AAG gold medal squad in 1973. Muda joined the National team much later :!:

Cheers.
Yes, I'm just realising this. :thumb:
Ilerika, in terms of his actual position on the field (Not his jersey number) was an attacking mid from the left. Note that throughout his career he had a striker playing. At the AAG and shortly after, the striker was Sunny Oyarekhua and at the AFCON 1976 it was Usiyan (Oyarekhua when Usiyan was injured at that tournament). The fact that many speak of Ilerika as a No. 9 for SE demonstrates more than ever the continued erasure of Oyarekhua's career from the memory of Nigerian fans. Yet, he delivered when it mattered in those days.

It was not Muda who took Ilerika's position, in any case. Ilerika was a starter at the AAG where he was one of the young players. However, after the AAG, the team was virtually disbanded with Tiko and three other Yugoslavs appointed to build a new team. ILerika was still on the team but was not favored as other players including Emeteole came into competition for that position. Ilerika, however, was a starter again, midpoint into the AFCON of 1976 and shortly after before he left the team. At that point it was Kelechi before Iwelumo then took over the position. It is important to also note that some of Ilerika's problems after the AAG were based on his insistence that he could not stay in the camp because he had a young daughter to take care of. Thus, he often joined training from home in Lagos. Just my tuppence.
Thanks for making this point Sir. Haruna Ilerika was a ball distributing No.9, not a pointman like Yekini. He was simply a Xavi in a No.9 shirt. It is also appreciated that you reminded our younger friends of Sunny Oyarekhua, one of Nigeria's deadliest finishers in history. Godwin Iwelumo was eventually the chap that really took Ilerika's place in my opinion. He played very well for ACB and turned out to be a reliable goal scorer for the Super Eagles. I appreciate reading your post.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Mr Aaron.
You are welcome, sir.
You already seem to be making an impact on the debates here and your input is highly appreciated.

I notice you are also displaying 'Beginner's Decorum'. Please try and keep it for as long as possible because this place can frustrate somebody. By the time you disagree with one or two people, depending on who it is, the gloves are off and roforofo go start.

Just be prepared. Be wary of......nah. No names for now. :rotf:
By and large we all want the best for Naija football.

Welcome again and enjoy your honeymoon.
Long may it last. :thumb: :thumb:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Gotti wrote:
scholl wrote:
DIMKA76 wrote:[/video]
:lol: :lol: Not a good look IMHO.
Myth shattering... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Abegi, even Pius Ikedia sef was much better than this.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Chei! Dimka, I hope you are not a lawyer. You just rubbished your client on CE :lol:

Wha choo looking at?!