RULES OF FOOTBALL WHEN WE WERE KIDS

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet
RULES OF FOOTBALL WHEN WE WERE KIDS

Post by felarey »

Shared on Whatsapp...

*RULES OF FOOTBALL WHEN WE WERE KIDS*

1. The fat kid was always the goalkeeper... :P

2. The owner of the ball decided who played...

3. Penalty (otherwise called PENARITY!) was awarded only if an injured player could curse or fight a lot... :P

4. The match only ended when everyone was tired...

5. No matter how many goals you scored, the winner would be determined by the last team to score...

6. No referee and linesmen. You could run with the ball even behind the goalpost...

7. If you didn't participate in repairing a damaged ball you were given a match ban...

8. If you're picked last, you're a loser...

9. The guy who's never picked was to fetch the ball from the tree or bush when it got stuck, under the car or tunnel to play in the next game...

10. When the owner of the ball got annoyed, game over...

11. You were allowed to change a goalkeeper in case of a penalty...

12. The most skillful player got automatic selection...the most bully player got automatic selection too.......

13. No discrimination, both the children of rich and the poor played together!

14. Three corners make one Penarity!

15. All players help in household work of the ball owner.

16. If the ball burst everyone contribute to pay the owner.

17. You can't dribble the owner too much. This may lead him to stop the game by taking away his ball.

18. You can go round the goalpost still return into the field and score.

19. When you hit your toes against a stone and notice blood, you quickly cover the area of injury with sands as a form of first aid. Play continue.

20. We called ourselves by nicknames of great players especially from Brazil and England.

21. Game over when it's dark and we can barely see the ball. We all dispersed in groups to our homes teasing one another until d last player gets home to face another round of punishment from our disciplinarian parents.

This generation is missing a lot of free fun. They pay dearly ( in monetary terms) for today's fun. Football is more than a Game, it is fun.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: RULES OF FOOTBALL WHEN WE WERE KIDS

Post by ohenhen1 »

No fouls
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

you wait for one of the people who no sabi play wey dey yab you for sideline after everybody go, you beat the crap out of am and then you go house,...I beat up a lot of kids back in the day
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Bigpokey24 wrote:you wait for one of the people who no sabi play wey dey yab you for sideline after everybody go, you beat the crap out of am and then you go house,...I beat up a lot of kids back in the day
Well you were held back in school a lot so you also were bigger than a lot of those kids too.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

There was no "off sight"
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

kalani JR wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:you wait for one of the people who no sabi play wey dey yab you for sideline after everybody go, you beat the crap out of am and then you go house,...I beat up a lot of kids back in the day
Well you were held back in school a lot so you also were bigger than a lot of those kids too.
Nah, we weren't fat ..you hardly see fat kids
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

There was also that grown up (uncle, aunty, parent etc.) around like the Grinch that stole Christmas, looking to seize the ball if played into their compound or somewhere they disapprove of. Sometimes it's just because they wanted to sleep and didn't like the noise or a NIMBY (not in my back yard) move. Then comes the begging....
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

this explains the personalities on this forum. the rules were more democratic than the ones you listed. My experience everyone plays, if you are scored on, your team is sidelined and gets replaced by another team. I cant remember ball owner having any privilege other than crying home and taking the ball with him, which was rare.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

ANC wrote:this explains the personalities on this forum. the rules were more democratic than the ones you listed. My experience everyone plays, if you are scored on, your team is sidelined and gets replaced by another team. I cant remember ball owner having any privilege other than crying home and taking the ball with him, which was rare.
Okies ajebutta....

jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

most players played bare footed some with shorts others with long pants
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

jette1 wrote:most players played bare footed some with shorts others with long pants
Add "Over goal" that was declared when the ball was imagined to go over a non-existent goal bar.

No referee required, players called their own fouls.

BTW, for us it was four corners make a goal and not three corners.

In the East, as night approached, we declared Afia M'gbede (Night football) giving everyone the chance to dribble without passing the ball until the ball is turnover to another who began a new dribbling spree.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

All I know is that woe betide the person who burst the ball...
As for the brat who owns the ball, only God can forgive their oppressive regime.
If you are not on good terms with him, we'll remember that advice Jesus gave about making up with the person you have offended.. Well the brat won choose you, you can be sure of that unless you beg and grovel, and possibly give him one of your toffees or even bribe him with your pocket money.

It does not stop there, he is the coach, the ref, the captain of not only his own team, but the two teams. He selects all the best players on his team.

If you don't pass to him, he will ask you to leave or he will leave with his ball. If you tackle him or foul him even outside the field he will demand a penalty be awarded to himself which he will take, if you refuse he will grab his ball and leave.

If you shoot the ball too hard he takes offence, do you want to bust my ball he screams.

Everything revolves around him, he must be the best and no one, I repeat no one must outshine him.

I always feel like wrapping my hands around their neck and squeeze until they beg for mercy for a change.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

a) The "okocha-esque" master "yeye" type leg-over dribbler make everyone lose interest and disperse.
b) We use bitter leaf to soot and disinfect "toe booth" as we call kicking a stone and gauging one or more of your toes.
c) We prefer "felele" or rubber balls as the leather ones were too heavy to kick and not many people can afford them.
d) If your ball in stolen, all the kids join you to look for it around the neighborhood for a couple of days.
e) If you dribble the bully, you go shop elbow for face or get whacked at the ankle.
f) If you are not picked for a set, its bad for your social cred in school or at home. Better to walk away than wait for the next set. If you come late after the picks were done then its ok.
g) The grubbing after soccer taste somehow extra delicious.
h) When the girls come to watch, everyone become a Maradona. :D
I) When your parents are passing buy you become a Maradona.
J) When the ball owner is grounded for chores, we all chip in to help him complete it fast so the game can begin ASAP.
k) When you own a ball, the older boys are nice to you, when the ball hit a bottle and is schredded, they will comfort you and then resume the indifference to you.
k) We print out own Jerseys. Every one contribute the same color shirt (large graphics ok) and we buy paint and use cardboard cutouts to carve the numbers and print numbers on the back of the shirts. For some kids they have to declare the shirt stolen or suffer flogging at home.
l) Inter-street competitions draw big crowds and a great fun.
m) We enter/organize summer competitions, each kid contribute something and if we win we share the prize money.
n) We create fancy trophies/cups out of styrofoam and paint it gold.
o) When there are no balls to play soccer, we head into the forest to cut bamboo tree to built bird cages.
p) Your first soccer boots were likely made of black rubber and they were very ugly.
Last edited by oscar52 on Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

oloye wrote:All I know is that woe betide the person who burst the ball...
As for the brat who owns the ball, only God can forgive their oppressive regime.
If you are not on good terms with him, we'll remember that advice Jesus gave about making up with the person you have offended.. Well the brat won choose you, you can be sure of that unless you beg and grovel, and possibly give him one of your toffees or even bribe him with your pocket money.

It does not stop there, he is the coach, the ref, the captain of not only his own team, but the two teams. He selects all the best players on his team.

If you don't pass to him, he will ask you to leave or he will leave with his ball. If you tackle him or foul him even outside the field he will demand a penalty be awarded to himself which he will take, if you refuse he will grab his ball and leave.

If you shoot the ball too hard he takes offence, do you want to bust my ball he screams.

Everything revolves around him, he must be the best and no one, I repeat no one must outshine him.

I always feel like wrapping my hands around their neck and squeeze until they beg for mercy for a change.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: They are usually only child or some rich mans kids. Almost impossible to please.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Who remembers 5 minutes Igbo game?
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

“Who go go get the ball” ? When ball goes over a wall into that wicked mans yard who is already fed up with balls being kicked into his yard. And there might even own own an equally wicked dog. The ball fetcher is usually that apkuruka stout exconvinct looking dude because no one else can afford to get in trouble
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Don't forget the 'terminology

"Bodi" - feint or swerve, sending your marker in the wrong direction

"S̩abalẹ"- Sliding or scissor tackle; take the man and the ball together.

"Round table" - a dribble where you turn your marker 360 degrees starting and ending on the same spot leaving him dizzy....and very angry.

"Heighting/Tailor" - to lob ball over your marker's head to collect the other side.

"Window/Findow" - now commonly known as 'nutmegging'.

"Sagalo" - full defensive 'back to sender' volley, named after a famous unknown Brazilian footballer.

"Ago/Bell ringing" - to completely miss the ball, to kick "fresh air".

"Ege" - dribble.

"Troway Cup" - to miss a sitter/'open net' a la Aiyegbeni.

'Set' - local street/yard/field game where 6 or 7-man teams play each other in 'first to 3 goals' matchups; winning side remains on the pitch while beaten side is replaced by another. Games continue until dem drive all of una comot.

'Choosing' - unique team selection process for 'set'.

"F.A." - name given to any ajebota kid that plays football like oyibo, or turns up for 'set' fully kitted in boots, socks and Yarshnal jersey. Usually has his own ball. :biggrin:

Add or modify your own.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

Damunk wrote:Don't forget the 'terminology

"Round table" - a dribble where you turn your marker 360 degrees starting and ending on the same spot leaving him dizzy....and very angry.

"Heighting/Tailor" - to lob ball over your marker's head to collect the other side.

"Sagalo" - full defensive 'back to sender' volley, named after a famous unknown Brazilian footballer.

"Ege" - dribble.

'Set' - local street/yard/field game where 6 or 7-man teams play each other in 'first to 3 goals' matchups; winning side remains on the pitch while beaten side is replaced by another. Games continue until dem drive all of una comot.

"F.A." - name given to any ajebota kid that plays football like oyibo, or turns up for 'set' fully kitted in boots, socks and Yarshnal jersey. Usually has his own ball. :biggrin:

Add or modify your own.
Good list but the very first anywhere in the country would have been 'Odiye'.

How could you forget Damunk?
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

If you were a keeper, you were either a Fregene, Rigogo or Okalla. If you can shoot the ball hard, you were called a Thunder, for Thunder Balogun.

Those were the days when the owner of the ball would inspect your toes to see if you have sharp nails and toeing the ball was forbidden for obvious reasons. You toe the ball you get a severe warning, in some instances it was automatic red. Your offence, you are trying to burst the ball. The Felele ball or Wembley was succeptible to anything sharp, even your sharp nails could lead to a leak.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Aswani wrote:
Damunk wrote:Don't forget the 'terminology

"Ege" - dribble.

Add or modify your own.
Good list but the very first anywhere in the country would have been 'Odiye'.

How could you forget Damunk?
Actually I didn't forget but confused myself.
Thinking about it now, an 'Odiye' was different from a 'Sagalo', but I confused the two and went for Sagalo instead, thinking they were the same thing.
An odiye is an own goal, abi?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

felarey wrote:Shared on Whatsapp...

*RULES OF FOOTBALL WHEN WE WERE KIDS*

1. The fat kid was always the goalkeeper... :P

2. The owner of the ball decided who played...

3. Penalty (otherwise called PENARITY!) was awarded only if an injured player could curse or fight a lot... :P

4. The match only ended when everyone was tired...

5. No matter how many goals you scored, the winner would be determined by the last team to score...

6. No referee and linesmen. You could run with the ball even behind the goalpost...

7. If you didn't participate in repairing a damaged ball you were given a match ban...

8. If you're picked last, you're a loser...

9. The guy who's never picked was to fetch the ball from the tree or bush when it got stuck, under the car or tunnel to play in the next game...

10. When the owner of the ball got annoyed, game over...

11. You were allowed to change a goalkeeper in case of a penalty...

12. The most skillful player got automatic selection...the most bully player got automatic selection too.......

13. No discrimination, both the children of rich and the poor played together!

14. Three corners make one Penarity!

15. All players help in household work of the ball owner.

16. If the ball burst everyone contribute to pay the owner.

17. You can't dribble the owner too much. This may lead him to stop the game by taking away his ball.

18. You can go round the goalpost still return into the field and score.

19. When you hit your toes against a stone and notice blood, you quickly cover the area of injury with sands as a form of first aid. Play continue.

20. We called ourselves by nicknames of great players especially from Brazil and England.

21. Game over when it's dark and we can barely see the ball. We all dispersed in groups to our homes teasing one another until d last player gets home to face another round of punishment from our disciplinarian parents.

This generation is missing a lot of free fun. They pay dearly ( in monetary terms) for today's fun. Football is more than a Game, it is fun.
For my side, na "tame-tame" (raising we dey carry decide who go get set. Depending on the size of the field.

Handball while guarding the post in monkey post (German Post) is considered a goal.

We use "Deading the ball" to start a game.

Obviously, the ball is BnP (Break and Pay).

We typically start with 2 or 3 touches and transition to multiple touches once the field is crowded.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Enugu II wrote:
jette1 wrote:most players played bare footed some with shorts others with long pants
Add "Over goal" that was declared when the ball was imagined to go over a non-existent goal bar.

No referee required, players called their own fouls.

BTW, for us it was four corners make a goal and not three corners.

In the East, as night approached, we declared Afia M'gbede (Night football) giving everyone the chance to dribble without passing the ball until the ball is turnover to another who began a new dribbling spree.
...Enugu campus playing field :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
And remember the 'jam bodi' a person runs into people, tackles too rough or don't know how to play.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

felarey wrote:There was also that grown up (uncle, aunty, parent etc.) around like the Grinch that stole Christmas, looking to seize the ball if played into their compound or somewhere they disapprove of. Sometimes it's just because they wanted to sleep and didn't like the noise or a NIMBY (not in my back yard) move. Then comes the begging....

I used to think Felarey was na ajebota that grew up in Manchester o
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."