Beckenbauer wants offside rule change

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Beckenbauer wants offside rule change

Post by Damunk »

kofi86 wrote:
Schillachi wrote:Like I said before, I don't see why they can't get rid of offsides all together. Matches start with an equal number of players on both sides, so if you allow an opposing player to get behind your defense, na your selenge be dat...
Because it would football make boring again with long balls taking over
I agree.
Might as well have strikers sitting beside the opponents' keeper on the goal line until ball reach dem side.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:They should get rid of the goalie and replace them with a deep deep goal line playmaker. Walahi e go we will win the WC pronto since we can’t seem to find a good one on the regular. :taunt:
Oga, do you have anything meaningful to contribute here?
NIGERIAN BADBOY!
Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

Damunk wrote:
kofi86 wrote:
Schillachi wrote:Like I said before, I don't see why they can't get rid of offsides all together. Matches start with an equal number of players on both sides, so if you allow an opposing player to get behind your defense, na your selenge be dat...
Because it would football make boring again with long balls taking over
I agree.
Might as well have strikers sitting beside the opponents' keeper on the goal line until ball reach dem side.
But why will this work? The defender will just stay with them..
NIGERIAN BADBOY!
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Schillachi wrote:
Catalyst wrote:
You funny sha.

I will assume this as a joke. :lol:
It is not a joke. There are tonnes of sports that do not have the offside rule and they function perfectly. Do we have offsides in basketball? Do we have offsides in American football? What makes soccer so special, that the offside rule is indispensable?
Baba Abeg stick to journalism :lol: :lol:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

oloye wrote:
Schillachi wrote:
Catalyst wrote:
You funny sha.

It is not a joke. There are tonnes of sports that do not have the offside rule and they function perfectly. Do we have offsides in basketball? Do we have offsides in American football? What makes soccer so special, that the offside rule is indispensable?
Chief, I'm not a journalist o.. :lol:

Everybody says it's a bad idea but no one can clearly state why..
NIGERIAN BADBOY!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Schillachi wrote:
oloye wrote:
Schillachi wrote:
Catalyst wrote:
You funny sha.

I think it will take one key strategic component out of the game.

Defences have to organise themselves properly and move as a unit in order to effect the offside strategy aka 'trap', while attacking units have to devise strategies to beat it. Strikers have to both time and angle their runs accurately to beat the trap.
Defences get it wrong and it could be disaster.
Refs have to have eyes in different places to accurately make the offside/onside call.

Like I said in another thread, the irresistible allure of football is partly due to the human errors made by the 22 players, the coaching crews, the ref and his 2 assistants in a 90 minute battle of skills, brawn and wits. The offside rule is just one of several key tactical challenges to be won and lost on the field.

Maybe I'll seek out the history of the rule, and when and why it was introduced
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The current offside law gives too much room for inconsistency. For example at the Women's World Cup earlier this year, Germany's first goal against Nigeria was scandalously allowed to stand even though a German players was standing in the 6 yard box right in front of Nigerian GK Nnadozie - blocking her view of the ball.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

wiseone wrote:The current offside law gives too much room for inconsistency. For example at the Women's World Cup earlier this year, Germany's first goal against Nigeria was scandalously allowed to stand even though a German players was standing in the 6 yard box right in front of Nigerian GK Nnadozie - blocking her view of the ball.
It gives room for inconsistency but also gives room for subjectivity.
I am not sure the German first goal was "scandalously offside'' as you claim.
Without the benefit of VAR, anyone could argue either way.
From the video, it appears Ohale was roughly level with the German striker you believe was blocking our 'keeper's view. Its arguable.
When you consider the official policy which is to give the benefit of the doubt to the striker when it is too close to call, there is nothing scandalous about it.

[/video]

TBH, I don't want the game to be too 'robotized' to the point that we eliminate all mistakes in the game.
The frustration, anger and arguments are part of the emotion of football which I will not trade for anything.
That's why some have called football 'war by other means'. :thumb:
Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

Damunk wrote:
Schillachi wrote:
oloye wrote:
Schillachi wrote:
Catalyst wrote:
You funny sha.

I think it will take one key strategic component out of the game.

Defences have to organise themselves properly and move as a unit in order to effect the offside strategy aka 'trap', while attacking units have to devise strategies to beat it. Strikers have to both time and angle their runs accurately to beat the trap.
Defences get it wrong and it could be disaster.
Refs have to have eyes in different places to accurately make the offside/onside call.

Like I said in another thread, the irresistible allure of football is partly due to the human errors made by the 22 players, the coaching crews, the ref and his 2 assistants in a 90 minute battle of skills, brawn and wits. The offside rule is just one of several key tactical challenges to be won and lost on the field.

Maybe I'll seek out the history of the rule, and when and why it was introduced
Okay. let me know if you find anything.

Regarding the tactical part, if offside is gotten rid of, I'm sure there are many other tactical scenarios in football that can be won or lost...
NIGERIAN BADBOY!
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

You cannot be serious. I watched that game live, and they showed a freeze frame of the moment the ball was headed and the German player was (at least) 2 feet offside. It was so blatant that when the ref went to check it with VAR, even the (usually biased against African teams) American TV commentators were adamant that the goal would be disallowed. Even when the ref went to check the replay she was not checking whether the German player was offside (which could not be contested since it was so blatant), but only whether she was blocking the Nigerian GK's view. That made the decision even more mystifying because she was clearly blocking Nnadozie's line of vision.

Your line about "Ohale was roughly level with the German striker" is simply not true. You posted a highlight video that does not show a side on (AKA lino's view) angle of the goal, nor does it have a freeze frame of the controversial goal that shows that there was daylight between the German player and the last Nigerian defender.

Damunk wrote: It gives room for inconsistency but also gives room for subjectivity.
Without the benefit of VAR, anyone could argue either way
From the video, it appears Ohale was roughly level with the German striker you believe was blocking our 'keeper's view. Its arguable.
When you consider the official policy which is to give the benefit of the doubt to the striker when it is too close to call, there is nothing scandalous about it.

[/video]

TBH, I don't want the game to be too 'robotized' to the point that we eliminate all mistakes in the game.
The frustration, anger and arguments are part of the emotion of football which I will not trade for anything.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

wiseone wrote:You cannot be serious. I watched that game live, and they showed a freeze frame of the moment the ball was headed and the German player was (at least) 2 feet offside. It was so blatant that when the ref went to check it with VAR, even the (usually biased against African teams) American TV commentators were adamant that the goal would be disallowed. Even when the ref went to check the replay she was not checking whether the German player was offside (which could not be contested since it was so blatant), but only whether she was blocking the Nigerian GK's view. That made the decision even more mystifying because she was clearly blocking Nnadozie's line of vision.

Your line about "Ohale was roughly level with the German striker" is simply not true. You posted a highlight video that does not show a side on (AKA lino's view) angle of the goal, nor does it have a freeze frame of the controversial goal that shows that there was daylight between the German player and the last Nigerian defender.

Damunk wrote: It gives room for inconsistency but also gives room for subjectivity.

[/video]

For me that was one of the most annoying calls at the WWC. Before the kick, the German player was actively blocking the Nigerian goalie and when the ball went in I thought to myself that the VAR will surely lead to a disallowed goal because the German player, in front of the Nigerian GK, interfered with the play. I was indeed surprised that the goal was not ruled out. I was miffed.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

wiseone wrote:You cannot be serious. I watched that game live, and they showed a freeze frame of the moment the ball was headed and the German player was (at least) 2 feet offside. It was so blatant that when the ref went to check it with VAR, even the (usually biased against African teams) American TV commentators were adamant that the goal would be disallowed. Even when the ref went to check the replay she was not checking whether the German player was offside (which could not be contested since it was so blatant), but only whether she was blocking the Nigerian GK's view. That made the decision even more mystifying because she was clearly blocking Nnadozie's line of vision.

[/video]

Nor be fight nah.
I could only go by what I saw in the video I posted.
I didn't watch the game live.
Na so war dey take start becos of simple disagreement.
Calm down.
I believe you.
Can you now stand down your nuclear warheads? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote:

For me that was one of the most annoying calls at the WWC. Before the kick, the German player was actively blocking the Nigerian goalie and when the ball went in I thought to myself that the VAR will surely lead to a disallowed goal because the German player, in front of the Nigerian GK, interfered with the play. I was indeed surprised that the goal was not ruled out. I was miffed.
It'll be interesting to know what the FIFA technical report says on this.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Damunk

Analysts claimed that the 'interference' was not much and the keeper could still get to the ball. I was shocked because that play was more blatant than the photo examples provided in fifa's own rulebook about such interferences. Nevertheless the referee used discretion which I must state was highly questionable in that instance.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Bugger all. Even though it was a good tournament, that WWC had awful refereeing. The failure to disallow that first German goal was just one of many examples of poor officiating at that tournament/incorrect use of VAR. FIFA's own rulebook gave that very example (attacker obscuring the GK's view) as an example of a goal that should be disallowed. When bad calls like this keep happening (especially against African teams) the reaction of Cameroon can be contextualised. Other examples:

1) The controversial offside goal in Cameroon v England should not have been awarded. If you clearly watch the freeze frame, viewers/VAR are unable to see the exact moment the ball was played because several players obscured the view of the ball, so one cannot judge when the ball was played or determine if the England player was onside. When doubt like that exists or if the replay footage is inconclusive, goals should not be awarded.

2) The retaken penalty fiasco involving France and Nigeria. That must be one of the worst bits of officiating in the history of pro football and was borderline match fixing. FIFA law 14 on penalties states that:

(a) If the attacking team encroaches into the area, and the penalty is not scored - an indirect FK should be given to the defending team.

(b) If the GK steps off the line and the penalty is not scored, it must be retaken.

1 and 2 above happened simultaneously in the game. Yet for some unexplainable reason the officials only "remembered" one part of Law 14.

Let us not forget that the sequence of play that led up to the penalty started when the ref incorrectly gave a corner to France (instead of a goal kick to Nigeria). A call for which Ordega (who had ricocheted the ball off a French player out of play) protested in vain.

In the space of a couple of minutes: the ref incorrectly gave a corner to France, sent off a Nigerian player, booked another, awarded 2 penalties against Nigeria, and allowed France to score a retaken PK. I struggle to think of any other game in the history of football where a team has been penalised 6 times in one sequence of play.
Enugu II wrote: For me that was one of the most annoying calls at the WWC. Before the kick, the German player was actively blocking the Nigerian goalie and when the ball went in I thought to myself that the VAR will surely lead to a disallowed goal because the German player, in front of the Nigerian GK, interfered with the play. I was indeed surprised that the goal was not ruled out. I was miffed.
Damunk wrote:It'll be interesting to know what the FIFA technical report says on this.
Enugu II wrote: Analysts claimed that the 'interference' was not much and the keeper could still get to the ball. I was shocked because that play was more blatant than the photo examples provided in fifa's own rulebook about such interferences. Nevertheless the referee used discretion which I must state was highly questionable in that instance.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Every time I see the offside rule correctly applied, I remember the scandalous "refereeing" against Nigeria at the last WWC. e.g. last night the ref disallowed a late Alassane Plea equaliser for Borrusia Moenchengladbach against Inter Milan because Breel Embolo was in an offside position near the GK when the ball went in. Yet when an even more blatant Germany goal was scored against Nigeria at the WWC (from a corner where a German player was standing in front of Nigerian GK Nnadozie), the officials "forgot" to apply this part of the offside law - even though they had VAR.

Enugu II wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Damunk

Analysts claimed that the 'interference' was not much and the keeper could still get to the ball. I was shocked because that play was more blatant than the photo examples provided in fifa's own rulebook about such interferences. Nevertheless the referee used discretion which I must state was highly questionable in that instance.