Tammy Abraham indirectly courting the SE?!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Tammy Abraham indirectly courting the SE?!

Post by bret- hart »

NFF has been chiking Abraham for almost 4 yrs now. I remember he was approched the same time Aina and Akpom were approched yet he is still doing "shakara". I think its time to let this one go and focus on the likes of Eze, Ovie and Tomori. Btw how far with Ademola Lookman?
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

bret- hart wrote:NFF has been chiking Abraham for almost 4 yrs now. I remember he was approched the same time Aina and Akpom were approched yet he is still doing "shakara". I think its time to let this one go and focus on the likes of Eze, Ovie and Tomori. Btw how far with Ademola Lookman?
Damn! When did I hear that word last? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Lots of revisionist history here. If Iwobi chose Naija over England, then every premiership English player has a shot at England. If Eyebe chose Naija today, in future after he’s played some games for a top 6, someone will say he had a chance with England but gave it up.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

I don't see why it's difficult to see that Iwobi did indeed make the decision to play Nigeria ahead of England. A promising young player that had now been integrated into Arsenal senior set-up. He had a chance of eventually playing for England (I wouldn't say that season or even the next) but players and FA also look at the medium-long term prospects.

There is a reason why players such a Nedum Onuoha, Dennis Aogo and now Tammy Abraham never wanted to commit until Nigeria until they knew they had no chance with their other nationality (waiting paid off for Aogo and Sidney Sam). It's because they have weighed up their options and know they have a good chance of playing for their other nation. This is not a Semi Ajayi (English Championship), Troost-Ekong (2nd division Holland) or Aina (on loan and not in the Chelsea 1st team set-up). I don't remember reading or hearing the English/Dutch FA trying to block the transfer of allegiance for these players as they did with Iwobi? Let's look at it this way, how many young players of Nigerian descent that are/were in the 1st team squad of a top club at the point of interest have decided to commit to Nigeria over the years?
Zelex-CE World Cup 2010 prediction Winner
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177767
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

iwobi always wanted to play for Nigeria. he was born there and JJ was a big influence on him
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Zelex wrote:I don't see why it's difficult to see that Iwobi did indeed make the decision to play Nigeria ahead of England. A promising young player that had now been integrated into Arsenal senior set-up. He had a chance of eventually playing for England (I wouldn't say that season or even the next) but players and FA also look at the medium-long term prospects.

There is a reason why players such a Nedum Onuoha, Dennis Aogo and now Tammy Abraham never wanted to commit until Nigeria until they knew they had no chance with their other nationality (waiting paid off for Aogo and Sidney Sam). It's because they have weighed up their options and know they have a good chance of playing for their other nation. This is not a Semi Ajayi (English Championship), Troost-Ekong (2nd division Holland) or Aina (on loan and not in the Chelsea 1st team set-up). I don't remember reading or hearing the English/Dutch FA trying to block the transfer of allegiance for these players as they did with Iwobi? Let's look at it this way, how many young players of Nigerian descent that are/were in the 1st team squad of a top club at the point of interest have decided to commit to Nigeria over the years?
So every young English player integrated into a non top 4 team is suddenly gonna make the senior 3 lions? How many senior caps do the likes of Maitland Niles have? He’s a whole starter, Iwobi was mainly a sub. Bruh Arseanal is not that top a club, how many England internationals do they currently have?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

maceo4 wrote:
Zelex wrote:I don't see why it's difficult to see that Iwobi did indeed make the decision to play Nigeria ahead of England. A promising young player that had now been integrated into Arsenal senior set-up. He had a chance of eventually playing for England (I wouldn't say that season or even the next) but players and FA also look at the medium-long term prospects.

So every young English player integrated into a non top 4 team is suddenly gonna make the senior 3 lions? How many senior caps do the likes of Maitland Niles have? He’s a whole starter, Iwobi was mainly a sub. Bruh Arseanal is not that top a club, how many England internationals do they currently have?
I look at is a top 6 now rather than a top 4. Thus disagree that Arsenal isn't a top club but this is a matter of opinion. They are part of the "top 6" which is common phrase now used and are heads and shoulders in a different category to the other teams in the league. Any young player will definitely fancy their chances within those teams and this is the crux of my point. Hasn't Mason Mount (Chelsea) not been invited after 4 EPL games. What of Callum Hudson-Odoi who I believe hadn't even started a EPL game before his invite. Harry Winks at Spurs was invited after a few games, also Jack Wilshere after 2 games or so. I can name some others. It only takes stringing together a few good games to be on the radar (particularly in positions that are lacking).

Maitland-Niles is good example chosen however I think his suffering from the tough competition at RB. Trippier, Alexander-Arnold, Wan-Bissaka are all ahead of him (even Kyle Walker wasn't selected who is better than him right now IMO). I have no qualms with those saying Iwobi at the point of Nigeria's interest wasn't in frame for England senior call up. I agree, but to say he the didn't have the potential or he didn't have a reasonable chance? There is a reason why England did their all to try and block his transfer of allegiance.
Zelex-CE World Cup 2010 prediction Winner
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177767
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

EII et al, 'consideration' for England is a very subjective term, and you guys will argue forever, as it is a matter of opinion, sans official invitations/caps.

Wouldn't it be fair to use previous significant participation as a junior international to consider one a potential prospect?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Iwobi played for Nigeria because he wasn't in consideration for England. He was already two years out of playing for England at any level and had been a prime candidate for getting cut at Arsenal, it's fully to his own credit that he's built himself to where he is.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

kalani JR wrote:Iwobi played for Nigeria because he wasn't in consideration for England. He was already two years out of playing for England at any level and had been a prime candidate for getting cut at Arsenal, it's fully to his own credit that he's built himself to where he is.
this cameroonian always trying so hard... what the heck has all the above got to do with anything? Iwobi plays for Nigeria ...was always going to and no matter how you try to spin it, bobo already chose and plays for Nigeria....so what's the argument about that again? how can this offset his current international commitments ?I do not get some of una just going on and on about nothing

Now the discuss is no longer the pathetic Abraham , it's now about Iwobi :lol: :lol: :lol: many of una gots nothing to go back and forth about....Eto just retired , what's you take on your country man you joke
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
kalani JR wrote:Iwobi played for Nigeria because he wasn't in consideration for England. He was already two years out of playing for England at any level and had been a prime candidate for getting cut at Arsenal, it's fully to his own credit that he's built himself to where he is.
this cameroonian always trying so hard... what the heck has all the above got to do with anything? Iwobi plays for Nigeria ...was always going to and no matter how you try to spin it, bobo already chose and plays for Nigeria....so what's the argument about that again? how can this offset his current international commitments ?I do not get some of una just going on and on about nothing

Now the discuss is no longer the pathetic Abraham , it's now about Iwobi :lol: :lol: :lol: many of una gots nothing to go back and forth about....Eto just retired , what's you take on your country man you joke
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/context
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

kalani JR wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:

even with the fake mod title you were given, you still fail to think properly...that cannot hide the fact that odas thinks better than you, and that isn't something to beat ones chest for, knowing odas has a very slow brain processing power
SuperEagles

kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:

even with the fake mod title you were given, you still fail to think properly...that cannot hide the fact that odas thinks better than you, and that isn't something to beat ones chest for, knowing odas has a very slow brain processing power
BP you don't even think better than kalani Sr. and he's been dead for five years. I don't have time to go back and forth with you so hold these words and my nutsack.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

once again i have exposed you
SuperEagles

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:EII et al, 'consideration' for England is a very subjective term, and you guys will argue forever, as it is a matter of opinion, sans official invitations/caps.

Wouldn't it be fair to use previous significant participation as a junior international to consider one a potential prospect?
Chief,

While it is a matter of opinion, there is indeed reasonableness. It is just not reasonable to claim that the English FA is considering a player for the senior national team when the player is merely in the squad of an elite club. No game played at that point, not designated as can't prospect, etc. There are numerous such players.

Moreover, if indeed Iwobi was a special talent then one can see how that may be reasonable. But he was not. He had not even been considered at the U21 level. Of course, Iwobi turned out to be very good and you can make an argument around English FA wanting him NOW but that argument could not be made at the time Nigeria took him. We forget Chuks Aneke who was even further along with Arsenal. He featured for Arsenal first team and went out on several loans but yet the English FA was not interested. Yet we are now rewriting the narrative by claiming the English FA was interested. That just isn't true.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Enugu II wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:EII et al, 'consideration' for England is a very subjective term, and you guys will argue forever, as it is a matter of opinion, sans official invitations/caps.

Chief,

While it is a matter of opinion, there is indeed reasonableness. It is just not reasonable to claim that the English FA is considering a player for the senior national team when the player is merely in the squad of an elite club. No game played at that point, not designated as can't prospect, etc. There are numerous such players.

Moreover, if indeed Iwobi was a special talent then one can see how that may be reasonable. But he was not. He had not even been considered at the U21 level. Of course, Iwobi turned out to be very good and you can make an argument around English FA wanting him NOW but that argument could not be made at the time Nigeria took him. We forget Chuks Aneke who was even further along with Arsenal. He featured for Arsenal first team and went out on several loans but yet the English FA was not interested. Yet we are now rewriting the narrative by claiming the English FA was interested. That just isn't true.
Prof:
Did Iwobi represent England in age-grade comps? I believe VicMo did....
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Chief,

Prof:
Did Iwobi represent England in age-grade comps? I believe VicMo did....
He did at U16 and U18 and I think he had a U19 call up but he never made the U21 team.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

There was certainly anger from key areas of English football immediately Iwobi was capped by Nigeria & they felt that a good one had slipped away. The FA suggested at the time that Iwobi preferred Nigeria due to the strong emotional attachment he had to the country & its football. His father was a semi-pro with Femo Scorpions, friend to Peter Rufai & then married Jayjay Okocha's sister/

So while there was never a public chase & invitation for Iwobi, it can clearly be inferred that at least one person in English FA had privately approached him, and he told them he was leaning towards Nigeria. This aligns with my recollection of how Iwobi came to play for Nigeria as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... nd-nigeria
The FA’s explanation is that Aidy Boothroyd, in charge of England’s under-19s, simply preferred other players, as every manager is entitled to, in an age group that is regarded as particularly strong, and that Iwobi preferred Nigeria because he felt more of an emotional attachment to the country of his birth.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

truetalk wrote:

There was certainly anger from key areas of English football immediately Iwobi was capped by Nigeria & they felt that a good one had slipped away. The FA suggested at the time that Iwobi preferred Nigeria due to the strong emotional attachment he had to the country & its football. His father was a semi-pro with Femo Scorpions, friend to Peter Rufai & then married Jayjay Okocha's sister/

So while there was never a public chase & invitation for Iwobi, it can clearly be inferred that at least one person in English FA had privately approached him, and he told them he was leaning towards Nigeria. This aligns with my recollection of how Iwobi came to play for Nigeria as well.

The FA’s explanation is that Aidy Boothroyd, in charge of England’s under-19s, simply preferred other players, as every manager is entitled to, in an age group that is regarded as particularly strong, and that Iwobi preferred Nigeria because he felt more of an emotional attachment to the country of his birth.
There's more in that link:

“He should be playing for England,” Wenger said in January, and he did for a while. Iwobi made seven appearances for England’s under-16s, three for the under-17s and one at under-18 level and, by all accounts, was happily embedded in the setup. But then the invitations stopped.

“He played for the England youth teams for a while but when it came to the under-19s, they didn’t pick him,” Wenger said last weekend, wearing an expression that made it absolutely clear what he thought about it. And now it is too late. Iwobi moved to London at the age of four but he was born in Lagos and on Friday he came on as a substitute in Nigeria’s Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Egypt. That, for England, is the end of it. Fifa’s rules dictate that once a player has been involved in a competitive fixture he is not allowed to switch countries.

You will have to decide for yourself whether that is an entirely satisfactory explanation but it is certainly a different version of events to the one emanating from Arsenal, where they believe it is an oversight on the FA’s part and seem puzzled by the apparent lack of effort to make sure Iwobi knew he was wanted in the way, for example, that happened with Jack Grealish.

Ok, perhaps there is a bit of self-interest here from Wenger when playing for England would mean Iwobi not disappearing mid-season every couple of years for the Africa Cup of Nations. Yet Iwobi said himself in January that he would have “loved” to play for England and it would be intriguing to know why the FA did not try harder to make it happen before Friday’s cutoff point.

It certainly wasn’t a snap judgment on the teenager’s part to look elsewhere given his last appearance for England came at under-18 level in October 2013 and it was almost two years later that he grew tired of waiting, registered with Nigeria and made his first couple of appearances in non-binding friendlies. Iwobi has apparently talked of feeling unwanted by England, though, in fairness to the FA, it did presumably play a part that the player’s uncle is Jay-Jay Okocha, football royalty in Nigeria.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

felarey wrote:
truetalk wrote:

There's more in that link:

“He should be playing for England,” Wenger said in January, and he did for a while. Iwobi made seven appearances for England’s under-16s, three for the under-17s and one at under-18 level and, by all accounts, was happily embedded in the setup. But then the invitations stopped.

“He played for the England youth teams for a while but when it came to the under-19s, they didn’t pick him,” Wenger said last weekend, wearing an expression that made it absolutely clear what he thought about it. And now it is too late. Iwobi moved to London at the age of four but he was born in Lagos and on Friday he came on as a substitute in Nigeria’s Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Egypt. That, for England, is the end of it. Fifa’s rules dictate that once a player has been involved in a competitive fixture he is not allowed to switch countries.

You will have to decide for yourself whether that is an entirely satisfactory explanation but it is certainly a different version of events to the one emanating from Arsenal, where they believe it is an oversight on the FA’s part and seem puzzled by the apparent lack of effort to make sure Iwobi knew he was wanted in the way, for example, that happened with Jack Grealish.

Ok, perhaps there is a bit of self-interest here from Wenger when playing for England would mean Iwobi not disappearing mid-season every couple of years for the Africa Cup of Nations. Yet Iwobi said himself in January that he would have “loved” to play for England and it would be intriguing to know why the FA did not try harder to make it happen before Friday’s cutoff point.

It certainly wasn’t a snap judgment on the teenager’s part to look elsewhere given his last appearance for England came at under-18 level in October 2013 and it was almost two years later that he grew tired of waiting, registered with Nigeria and made his first couple of appearances in non-binding friendlies. Iwobi has apparently talked of feeling unwanted by England, though, in fairness to the FA, it did presumably play a part that the player’s uncle is Jay-Jay Okocha, football royalty in Nigeria.
Thank you, these guys are trying to rewrite history like Iwobi and Moses were being heavily courted by England and yet chose Nigeria. Extremely unlikely, as over-protective as Iwobi's parents are over him you don't think they would have preferred the safer, more lucrative option, than an FA that will be owing its players with one logistical issue after another? These guys are simply fooling themselves, its simply when a player feels their chances of being selected by England are slim that they come over.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

No re-writing of history & I'm not talking of Moses. We're zoning in on Iwobi here.

Right after he picked Nigeria (I'm not talking before), there was anger within the English FA, and the focus seemed to be on the U-19 coach who responded that Iwobi's preference for Nigeria was the reason he wasn't pick. Maybe he felt other players were dying to play for the 3lions & this dude was was hesitating. This was around the time Arsenal had another loss against Barcelona but Iwobi looked like the best Arsenal player on the field.

A father following a teenager to camp in a country where he is not resident is nothing strange. Parents of U-17 kids from abroad do that all the time. It does not mean they are reluctant to let their kids play for Nigeria.

While Iwobi was not about to be called up to the English National team when he debuted for the Eagles, it is clear that his early preference for Nigeria had something to do with his being overlooked by the English U-19 & U-20 setup.
Last edited by truetalk on Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

truetalk wrote:No re-writing of history & I'm not talking of Moses. We're zoning in on Iwobi here.

Right after he picked Nigeria (I'm not talking before), there was anger within the English FA, and the focus seemed to be on the U-19 coach who responded that Iwobi's preference for Nigeria was the reason he didn't pick. Maybe he felt other players were dying to play for the 3lions & this dude was was hesitating. This was around the time Arsenal had another loss against Barcelona but Iwobi looked like the best Arsenal player on the field.

A father following a teenager to camp in a country where he is not resident is nothing strange. Parents of U-17 kids from abroad do that all the time. It does not mean they are reluctant to let their kids play for Nigeria.

While Iwobi was not about to be called up to the English National team when he debuted for the Eagles, it is clear that his early preference for Nigeria had something to do with his being overlooked by the English U-19 & U-20 setup.
Truetalk,

The red highlight is exactly what I believe except it is a bit the other way i.e. that him being overlooked had a lot to him deciding to play for Nigeria. :dream: KPOM. Yes, now are happy that Iwobi chose Nigeria and I believe he was clearly one that got away from England. England did not do much to contest for him as they are doing today contesting for Tammy. That is my point. Iwobi was not in England's radar when Nigeria gave him his debut. That singular decision by Nigeria gave us a player that possibly would have been considered by England when he began to show his abilities for Arsenal's full squad. It is quite possible that we would never have gotten Iwobi if England had been interested at the time Nigeria made its move.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote:Thank you, these guys are trying to rewrite history like Iwobi and Moses were being heavily courted by England and yet chose Nigeria. Extremely unlikely, as over-protective as Iwobi's parents are over him you don't think they would have preferred the safer, more lucrative option, than an FA that will be owing its players with one logistical issue after another? These guys are simply fooling themselves, its simply when a player feels their chances of being selected by England are slim that they come over.
Actually, you might be totally wrong on that one.
You might be speaking for yourself but there is more to it for a parent than choosing the 'safer' option wrt national teams.
Its a sentimental issue above everything else. Once your child's financial future is secured at the club level (in ways which as a parent you could never even dream of), the rest is about the heart.
I am yet to meet a father of a young Nigerian player here in the UK that doesn't want his kid to play for Nigeria. I've met Chuks Aneke's father. I've spoken to Iwobi's father and I've seen Aina's father on video talking emotionally about the day he will see his son play for Nigeria - which as we know eventually happened.
My own nephew who was on the books of Crystal Palace and later courted by Spurs as a 15 year old was constantly bombarded by myself and his father about his future national allegiance ever since he was recruited at 8yrs old - until he suddenly called it quits at 15. It broke his dad's heart, but how for do?

This is why Dominic Iorfa's active discouragement of his son's Nigerian football heritage was so baffling. But see them now, offering themselves up for SE consideration.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "