Manchester City first billion-euro squad in football history

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Manchester City first billion-euro squad in football history

Post by txj »

For the first time in history, a football club invested more than one billion euro in transfer indemnities to assemble its squad: Manchester City. Following last summer transfer window, two clubs are close to this figure: Paris St-Germain (€913 million) and Real Madrid (€902 million). Issue number 266 of the CIES Football Observatory Weekly Post presents the data for all teams in the big-5.

The gap between the costliest and cheapest squad per league is x148 in the Liga (Real Madrid vs Mallorca), x114 in the Ligue 1 (Paris St-Germain vs Nîmes), x85 in the Bundesliga (Bayern vs Paderborn), x63 in the Serie A (Juventus vs Lecce) and x32 in the Premier League (Manchester City vs Norwich). This reflects the great financial divides in European football.

The average transfer expenditure to sign current squad members per league is €345 M in the Premier League, €167 M in both the Liga and the Serie A, €124 M in the Bundesliga and €118 M in the Ligue 1. More exclusive financial analysis on the big-5 league transfer market is available in the 47th edition of the CIES Football Observatory Monthly Report.

https://football-observatory.com/IMG/si ... /wp266/en/
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Manchester City first billion-euro squad in football his

Post by danfo driver »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: A Checkbook Manager!

"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

danfo driver wrote::clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: A Checkbook Manager!

At least the gap isnt that great in the PL, compared to La Liga
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

The genius of Pep Guardiola

With such monies invested, some £194million on fullbacks only, then a good coach can attempt any formation or tactic even the craziest, and make it work. If it doesn't work he can keep buying until he finds the right piece to the jigsaw :thumbs:
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

and still got beat by Spurs!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Danfo, you dey craze :lol: :lol: :lol:

The truth of the matter is that none of the best in class managers could ever manage a club that has had no promise of CL footie.

On the Arsenal thread, I demonstrated this by looking at the point at which the likes of Mourinho (Chelsea), Pep (Mancity) and Klopp (Liverpool) took over at these clubs.

So on this basis, I would rate Poch higher than the Pep, Klopp and Mourinho as the trend shows that season on season, he was able to take a club like Tottenham all the way from outside CL football to the point where they are now competing with the best in Europe.

That is no mean feat!
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

benteke wrote:The genius of Pep Guardiola

With such monies invested, some £194million on fullbacks only, then a good coach can attempt any formation or tactic even the craziest, and make it work. If it doesn't work he can keep buying until he finds the right piece to the jigsaw :thumbs:
I don’t think Pep was the only coach Man City has. All that other stuff about coaching anything and making it work is just nonsense.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Mr. Piffington wrote:

I don’t think Pep was the only coach Man City has. All that other stuff about coaching anything and making it work is just nonsense.
Are you minding them, they have an agenda, just allow :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Mr. Piffington wrote:

That is precisely why Pellegrini got to City and won a double in his first season playing great football and his team also broke the 100 goals barrier in all competition or something like that.
The fact that Pep has spent £194 million on fullbacks only just to make sure whatever tactics he is trying works out, sums up my point. Good night :taunt:
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

benteke wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:

That is precisely why Pellegrini got to City and won a double in his first season playing great football and his team also broke the 100 goals barrier in all competition or something like that.
The fact that Pep has spent £194 million on fullbacks only just to make sure whatever tactics he is trying works out, sums up my point. Good night :taunt:
So why are you guys so focused on Pep? Given that Pellegrini had the same machine behind him? Abi Pep should say no thank you and instead go try his hand with a relegation battler just to prove to you that he can coach? Who does that? If Mourinho was handed the same job he would do the same and spend as long as the team got it to spend, but hey he's now a pre-game analyst and talking head as no one would entrust him with such billions :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Was never an issue when Aberdeen Alex was flexing his fiscal might like a Friday night’s Celestine Babayaro. Once upon a time, none in all the land could stand up to Ol’ Ally, how many British transfer records? Sign of the times. An Aaron Wankanobi costs 40 odd, chubby Luke Shaw, 30 odd, a no goals next to no goals Iheanacho, 20 plus. Perspective brethren.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

maceo4 wrote:
benteke wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:

So why are you guys so focused on Pep? Given that Pellegrini had the same machine behind him? Abi Pep should say no thank you and instead go try his hand with a relegation battler just to prove to you that he can coach? Who does that? If Mourinho was handed the same job he would do the same and spend as long as the team got it to spend, but hey he's now a pre-game analyst and talking head as no one would entrust him with such billions :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Because Pellegrini was never labelled a genius despite breaking some records and winning a double at first attempt.
When Guardiola had not spent astronomically to make his thing work, he finished 3rd in the EPL and trophy less, knocked out by Monaco in CL.
Now after his astronomical spending to make sure his jigsaw fits perfectly, he is a genius. I would agree that his genius lies in spending.

That's all. We are not fighting.
The way City has gone about it's stuff is something to admire and be emulated even. :clap:
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

benteke wrote:
Um, I hate to tell you this but Pellegrini spent money as well. Pep spent money on those full backs and he only used one consistently, Kyle Walker, because Mendy has been injured. He played with Fabian Delph as LB during the 100 point season and played with Zinchenko as LB last year. But hey, carry on though I’m not going to let facts get in your way.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

benteke wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
benteke wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:

Because Pellegrini was never labelled a genius despite breaking some records and winning a double at first attempt.
When Guardiola had not spent astronomically to make his thing work, he finished 3rd in the EPL and trophy less, knocked out by Monaco in CL.
Now after his astronomical spending to make sure his jigsaw fits perfectly, he is a genius. I would agree that his genius lies in spending.

The way City has gone about it's stuff is something to admire and be emulated even. :clap:
Perhaps because he has revolutionized the game; and not just in England...

Yes, Pelle also won with City; other managers with big budgets have also won. And it's near impossible to completely divorce the fiscal might of his teams from his achievements, but nothing can take away the genius of the man...

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
benteke wrote:
Um, I hate to tell you this but Pellegrini spent money as well. Pep spent money on those full backs and he only used one consistently, Kyle Walker, because Mendy has been injured. He played with Fabian Delph as LB during the 100 point season and played with Zinchenko as LB last year. But hey, carry on though I’m not going to let facts get in your way.
We are together. I did not say Pellegrini didn't spend.
The point was, when a decent manager like Pelle found a good project and also spent money on it, he won a double on his first attempt, something that Pep Guardiola failed to do until he made sure the conditions were absolutely almost perfect via spending mostly. Note that i am not discarding his tactical acumen, he tactical brilliance I also rate amongst the best.
We are not fighting :thumbs:
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

txj wrote:
benteke wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
benteke wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:

Perhaps because he has revolutionized the game; and not just in England...

Yes, Pelle also won with City; other managers with big budgets have also won. And it's near impossible to completely divorce the fiscal might of his teams from his achievements, but nothing can take away the genius of the man...
Revolution or Evolution, i am caught between the two.
Not forgetting that a lot of tactics and stuff that we see today had been done before with varying success.
Even newly Sheffield United i understand has its own so called tactical innovation of overlapping centre backs.
Pep is a good student of the best and i respect what he tries. But i was making a bit of a different point, he also said the same after playing Napoli, the kind of football they were trying needs enormous support from the board.

[/video]
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

benteke wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
benteke wrote:
The point was, when a decent manager like Pelle found a good project and also spent money on it, he won a double on his first attempt, something that Pep Guardiola failed to do until he made sure the conditions were absolutely almost perfect via spending mostly. Note that i am not discarding his tactical acumen, he tactical brilliance I also rate amongst the best.
we are fighting :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

benteke wrote:
txj wrote:Perhaps because he has revolutionized the game; and not just in England...

Not forgetting that a lot of tactics and stuff that we see today had been done before with varying success.
Even newly Sheffield United i understand has its own so called tactical innovation of overlapping centre backs.
Pep is a good student of the best and i respect what he tries. But i was making a bit of a different point, he also said the same after playing Napoli, the kind of football they were trying needs enormous support from the board.

[/video]

It doesn't have to be completely new to be revolutionary. Indeed some of the greatest modern innovations are based on existing thinking. His approach pretty much changed the time space dimension in the game, considerably advancing the work of Rinus Michels and Valeri Lobanovsky before him.

Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

benteke wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
benteke wrote:
But you failed to mention that Pellegrini didn’t win with the same squad for the next two years after, Pep took over an aging squad and had to gut it. You’ve got to say the whole truth.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

txj wrote:
benteke wrote:
txj wrote:Perhaps because he has revolutionized the game; and not just in England...

[/video]

It doesn't have to be completely new to be revolutionary. Indeed some of the greatest modern innovations are based on existing thinking. His approach pretty much changed the time space dimension in the game, considerably advancing the work of Rinus Michels and Valeri Lobanovsky before him.
Football keeps changing all the time, even right now Pep is not the only one changing the EPL, every time a foreign coach comes in and wins things, he is seen as revolutionising, you can count your Wenger, Mourinho first incarnation and others. Even Conte recently in his short stay was seen as revolutionising. Most important is that Pep is a student of the best and borrowed most ideas.. he is not the first one and won't be the last.
Last edited by benteke on Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
benteke wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
benteke wrote:
But you failed to mention that Pellegrini didn’t win with the same squad for the next two years after, Pep took over an aging squad and had to gut it. You’ve got to say the whole truth.
After his first season or thereabouts, I'm not sure of the timelines, doubts started emerging about Pellegrini's future, as rumours started emerging that Pep would not be renewing at Bayern and would be coming to City to rejoin his Barcelona mates, Txiki and Soriano. His squad lost confidence and motivation, and maybe also needed a proper gutting. But especially in his last season he was just a sitting duck manager.
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

benteke wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
benteke wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
benteke wrote:
After his first season or thereabouts, I'm not sure of the timelines, doubts started emerging about Pellegrini's future, as rumours started emerging that Pep would not be renewing at Bayern and would be coming to City to rejoin his Barcelona mates, Txiki and Soriano. His squad lost confidence and motivation, and maybe also needed a proper gutting. But especially in his last season he was just a sitting duck manager.
It was during his first season. Pellegrini knew from the first day he was hired that he was only going to do three years at City. He won the league in his first year but failed to do so in his final two years.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

cheque book abi checkbook pep
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved