The case for the "cockney eagles"

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The case for the "cockney eagles"

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Bigpokey24 wrote:we should also open a thread and talk about " the Case for the Igbo eagles" also we can add the case for the Hausa eagles, then include the case for the Yoruba eagles. Why stop there we can add the case for the dutch eagle, or better yet the German eagle.
I will like to add the case for the Efik eagles

what a very race baiting thread

Me I will support a thread on "Bendel" Eagles o. Those boys sabi play, and dem be hot heads. :woot: :woot: :woot:
Keshi (RIP), Ikpeba, Osaze, Omokaro, Aghahowa dem.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:we should also open a thread and talk about " the Case for the Igbo eagles" also we can add the case for the Hausa eagles, then include the case for the Yoruba eagles. Why stop there we can add the case for the dutch eagle, or better yet the German eagle.

Me I will support a thread on "Bendel" Eagles o. Those boys sabi play, and dem be hot heads. :woot: :woot: :woot:
plus Osimhen
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
oloye wrote:All I know is that I hear people being described as having cockney accent..

Babayaro
[/video] :D
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Cockney Eagles is funny. I think we've already gone that way starting with people like Keshi and Oliseh capping a bunch of diaspora kids.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:This one has absolutely lost his mind without question. Cockney Eagles?? WTF! Are U freaking serious? This is inferiority complex at its worst. This is the kind of mentality that led to millions of people taken into slavery. Cockney Eagles? Thunder faya u wherever u Dey right now. Holy Ghost faya burn ya compura .

Which cockney Academy did Mikel, oliseh and Finidi go to? I suppose you think Aina is better on the ball than even chidi Ordiah. You’re a real akotileta. :curse:
:bump:
kenmega
Egg
Egg

Post by kenmega »

Cockney Eagles? I am a ‘cockney’ Nigerian descent (born and raised in East London) but there are some from Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, etc
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Wow. So you actually not totally brain dead?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
danfo driver wrote:I heard "cockney" is a derogatory word.

because of the similarity with Tottenham's cockerel? :woot: :woot: :woot:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: e fit be!

The person told me that its a term used for people of lower class. When I googled it, this came up:
Originally a pejorative term applied to all city-dwellers
A Cockney is a Londoner, the original Cockneys are East Londoners and any Londoner that can hear the Bow bells ring there’s nothing derogatory about that.
You definition is correct. However, it is also correct that it was originally a pejorative term. You may want to be called a cockney. But not everyone wants to be.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
oloye wrote:All I know is that I hear people being described as having cockney accent..

Babayaro
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: innit?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

plus Osimhen
Aiyegbeni nko? Eguavoen, Oliha!

:D

All winners and fighters! :clap: :clap: :clap:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Grass is not always greener on the other side

[/video]
OCCUPY NFF!!
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

The use of the word "cockney" in my thread is clearly tongue-in-cheek to mean our British born talents. It is NOT a racial or ethnic identifier. Tons of Nigerians have kids born in London. Igbo, Hausa, Efik, or whatever, they are all "cockney"
I'm not sure why you choose to focus on irrational arguments about ethnicity and miss the point of the thread. Our most viable talents are the ones trained in foreign academies. The time has comes to embrace that fully.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

danfo driver wrote:I heard "cockney" is a derogatory word.
... I thought the same thing.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

bushboy wrote:

The use of the word "cockney" in my thread is clearly tongue-in-cheek to mean our British born talents. It is NOT a racial or ethnic identifier. Tons of Nigerians have kids born in London. Igbo, Hausa, Efik, or whatever, they are all "cockney"
I'm not sure why you choose to focus on irrational arguments about ethnicity and miss the point of the thread. Our most viable talents are the ones trained in foreign academies. The time has comes to embrace that fully.
Is there a research or study to support this assertion? Any data to back this your conclusion?
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

If I am not mistaken, Yekini was highest goal scorer in Europe. When did an English player achieve that?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

wanaj0 wrote:
bushboy wrote:

Is there a research or study to support this assertion? Any data to back this your conclusion?
Nothing formal obviously.
But note the word 'viable' which I assume he chose carefully and deliberately.
Anecdotal evidence suggests he has a point worth debating.

He is talking about those ultimately making it through to the full SE team, not the age-grade teams.
Look at the histories of the players in the current squad. Its a snapshot and supports his assertion.

It still boils down to our dysfunctional youth development system.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

nemi2002 wrote:If I am not mistaken, Yekini was highest goal scorer in Europe. When did an English player achieve that?
You are seriously mistaken.
He was a top goalscorer, not 'the' top or 'highest' goalscorer. :idea:
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Damunk wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
bushboy wrote:

He is talking about those ultimately making it through to the full SE team, not the age-grade teams.
Look at the histories of the players in the current squad. Its a snapshot and supports his assertion.

Is it because the current NFF Chairman is a 'WOWO' who believed that Oyinbo na Oyinbo?

On what basis is the claim that 'OUR MOST VIABLE TALENTS ARE TRAINED IN FOREIGN ACADEMIES'?

Who are the 'most viable talents' to start with? What is the selection criteria for that group?

Makes me remember the discussion about Nigerian youth players not making it big because they are age cheats!
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

wanaj0 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
bushboy wrote:

Is it because the current NFF Chairman is a 'WOWO' who believed that Oyinbo na Oyinbo?

On what basis is the claim that 'OUR MOST VIABLE TALENTS ARE TRAINED IN FOREIGN ACADEMIES'?

Who are the 'most viable talents' to start with? What is the selection criteria for that group?

Makes me remember the discussion about Nigerian youth players not making it big because they are age cheats!
Lets cut out the emotion and personality politics if we really want a mature debate.

If you choose to blame one man for the state of our youth development, then feel free.
But you won't be taken seriously.

So, as things stand today...where are the players most 'viable' for the full SE getting their football education?
And if, as you seem to be insisting, they are in Nigeria and are being ignored because of WOWOism, then please name such players that should be in the SE camp as we speak.

And to help you out, you can take a look at our U23 national team which is full of Nigeria-groomed players. Kindly name those of them that should be displacing the allegedly 'WOWO-enabled' current SE players.

After all, majority of the SE squad is under 25 to the point that with a few exceptions, it could even be an U23 squad itself. :idea:
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote:Lets cut out the emotion and personality politics if we really want a mature debate.

If you choose to blame one man for the state of our youth development, then feel free.

So, as things stand today...where are the players most 'viable' for the full SE getting their football education?
And if, as you seem to be insisting, they are in Nigeria and are being ignored because of WOWOism, then please name such players that should be in the SE camp as we speak.

And to help you out, you can take a look at our U23 national team which is full of Nigeria-groomed players. Kindly name those of them that should be displacing the allegedly 'WOWO-enabled' current SE players.

After all, majority of the SE squad is under 25 to the point that with a few exceptions, it could even be an U23 squad itself. :idea:
Like Obong pointed out, which was ignored because it did not fit the narrative. Nigeria best player in the World Cup was Etebo. Nigeria best player in AFcon was Ndidi and they both started their career in Nigeria. That empirical evidence.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

It's too early to make the statement that Nigeria's most viable talents are the foreign-groomed (sample is too small). Maybe in 15 years time we can make a better assessment but as for now evidence shows that Nigeria's best talents are those that started their footballing education in Nigeria.
Zelex-CE World Cup 2010 prediction Winner
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177767
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

The best players should play period! I don't care whether they are cockney or Wawa Eagles.

It's obvious that the likes of Iwobi, Aina, Aribo and if they choose to play for Naija, Ejaria, Tomori and Lookman are better than 90% of players raised in Nigeria. We haven't even mentioned the Bavarian Dutch and German youngsters like Okoye, Ebuehi etc.

Competition is never a bad thing. A player afraid of competition should go and play ludo.

A look at the academies of the major teams in England will shock some of you. Damunk and I have been saying this for Donkey years.

If you are one of those that prefer Ramon Azeez, Ogu, Awoniyi, Kele and Nwakwali simply for sentimental reasons, prepare to not support the SE for the foreseeable future. Enough of these mediocre guys who have been having it easy for years.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

fabio wrote:
Damunk wrote:Lets cut out the emotion and personality politics if we really want a mature debate.

Like Obong pointed out, which was ignored because it did not fit the narrative. Nigeria best player in the World Cup was Etebo. Nigeria best player in AFcon was Ndidi and they both started their career in Nigeria. That empirical evidence.
Firstly, point of correction....
I was the one that pointed out Etebo's stats as being the "best" IN AFCON (not in the WC), so your political flavouring on 'fitting or not fitting the narrative' is void.
You can check the recent archives.
I am not sure where you or Obong got the memo that Etebo was the "best" in the WC and Ndidi the "best" in AFCON.
On what basis? Kindly provide a link so we can all benefit.
I have no problem being corrected.

Even if...(and its a big 'if') you and Obong are correct, it does not negate the fact that the majority of our squad have received their football education abroad.
Like I said, suggest local players that are being unjustifiably left out.
Fit your narrative with facts.
It shouldn't be hard.