Joe Aribo starring for Nigeria lead to England tug of war

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Joe Aribo starring for Nigeria lead to England tug of war

Post by Bigpokey24 »

https://www.rangersnews.uk/news/rangers ... ug-of-war/
Rangers midfielder Joe Aribo made a stunning start to his international career last night as he hit the net after only four minutes and immediately made himself a big fan of the Nigerian support – but could it lead to a tug of war over his international future?

The former Charlton ace made an instant impression with African fans absolutely raving about his performance but until he plays in a competitive game, he could still choose to switch to England.
Aribo was born in London so qualifies for England without needing to jump through any hoops but was never a youth international for the Three Lions at any level.
When he left Charlton to cross the border and join Rangers, several d#$% legends said he’d made the wrong move and suggested his potential could take him a lot further than Ibrox.

After an impressive start for the Gers, and an even better maiden international appearance, it wouldn’t be a surprise if he’d started turning some heads at St. George’s Park.
There would obviously be much tougher competition for a place in the side for Aribo but after seeing Declan Rice jump ship from Ireland to represent England, they are clearly looking at players who have dual eligibility.

Aribo might not quite be at a level to force his way into the England side immediately but if he continues the way he’s started at Ibrox then it wouldn’t be a shock if he was there before long.
Of course, there’s always the prospect of Aribo having family loyalty to Nigeria and wanting to represent the country his parents moved to the UK from.

It would be completely understandable that he would reject any overtures from England over switching nationality – but it would also be a big affirmation that he’s doing the right things in making a name for himself.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
walesvilla
Egg
Egg
Re: Joe Aribo starring for Nigeria lead to England tug of wa

Post by walesvilla »

Need to cap him full time now
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

walesvilla wrote:Need to cap him full time now
i think we play AFCON qualifiers in November vs Benin and Lesotho
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Afri ... on_Group_L
SuperEagles

Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

When was the last time a player plying his trade in Scotland was invited to the England Squad? Off the top of my head, probably Fraser Forster (GK at Celtic at the time). Prior to that, maybe Paul Gascoigne and he was already an established member before his move to Rangers. I doubt the English FA even know Aribo exists but even if so, he has already committed to Nigeria.
Zelex-CE World Cup 2010 prediction Winner
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177767
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Zelex wrote:When was the last time a player plying his trade in Scotland was invited to the England Squad? Off the top of my head, probably Fraser Forster (GK at Celtic at the time). Prior to that, maybe Paul Gascoigne and he was already an established member before his move to Rangers. I doubt the English FA even know Aribo exists but even if so, he has already committed to Nigeria.
Are you minding this "could" "probably" "maybe" reporting coming from Rangers themselves trying to promote their player. Nobody is tugging anything abeg...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

maceo4 wrote:
Zelex wrote:When was the last time a player plying his trade in Scotland was invited to the England Squad? Off the top of my head, probably Fraser Forster (GK at Celtic at the time). Prior to that, maybe Paul Gascoigne and he was already an established member before his move to Rangers. I doubt the English FA even know Aribo exists but even if so, he has already committed to Nigeria.
Are you minding this "could" "probably" "maybe" reporting coming from Rangers themselves trying to promote their player. Nobody is tugging anything abeg...
here you go again, swimming in negativity . You will be upset now if gotti calls you out
SuperEagles

airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

maceo4 wrote:
He is probably not on their radar but we should cap him asap anyway. It only takes one monster season for the boy to start attracting vultures.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

E no go better for dem. Abegi make dem leave our player jare.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
here you go again, swimming in negativity . You will be upset now if gotti calls you out
I hear you bros, but ultimately as long as what I say is facts and truth it doesn't matter how you 'feel' about it... :mrgreen:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

England probably has 50 players in that position they would pick over Aribo .
OCCUPY NFF!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Agents trying to earn their keep.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Highly possible. England called up Tammy Abraham even when it was obvious he wasn’t ready.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

We dont need to do nada! If he is performing well at his club, we will invite him. If he isnt, we wont!

If he wants to play for Nigeria, England can twerk all they like in front of him and he will reject them. If he wants England, then we wish him well.

Go and ask Diego Costa how his decision to turn away from Brazil and represent Spain went for him.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Junk report
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

danfo driver wrote:
We dont need to do nada! If he is performing well at his club, we will invite him. If he isnt, we wont!

If he wants to play for Nigeria, England can twerk all they like in front of him and he will reject them. If he wants England, then we wish him well.

Go and ask Diego Costa how his decision to turn away from Brazil and represent Spain went for him.
KPOMADE...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

We need to cap tie him ASAP because England will sniff around eventually. Aron wan Bikassa used to play for DRC before defecting to England. Declen Rice just defected from Ireland to England. Also they tried to block Iwobi from playing for Nigeria.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

bret- hart wrote:We need to cap tie him ASAP because England will sniff around eventually. Aron wan Bikassa used to play for DRC before defecting to England. Declen Rice just defected from Ireland to England. Also they tried to block Iwobi from playing for Nigeria.
I mean you do have a point, but this is just typical PR report from his club to sell his market value high, especially after a good international debut. Aribo seems like a kid who is passionate about playing for Nigeria, and barring any loss of form or injuries will surely be in the line up for the upcoming qualifiers in November and beyond as a core member of the team. Plus look at how stacked that England midfield is with options, I doubt Aribo will even sniff the bench with the likes of Declan rice, Maddison, Henderson, Mings, Mount, Winks etc.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

There is no tug of war, only one country is pulling rope right now.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Lolly wrote:Highly possible. England called up Tammy Abraham even when it was obvious he wasn’t ready.
Now they can wait until for him to ripen,Nigerians are only obsessing over him because he plays for Chelsea!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

If there is any 'tug of war' over Aribo it is between his current manager, Stevie Gerrard and his former manager at Charlton, Lee Bowyer
EAT YOUR WORDS Steven Gerrard hits back at Charton boss Lee Bowyer for controversial claims about Joe Aribo’s Rangers transfer
Steve Gerrard has hit back at Charlton boss Lee Bowyer by insisting Rangers star Joe Aribo is playing football in the right place.

Bowyer was critical of Aribo for joining Rangers during the summer, arguing the former d#$% midfielder should’ve stayed in the Championship amid interest from Brentford.

Aribo has impressed in his first few games for Rangers
“I worked so hard to get him to this situation he is in now,” the former Newcastle and Leeds midfielder said.
"If he goes to Rangers that is not the right place for him to go for his football career. It doesn’t make sense on the football side. When people from England go and play for Celtic and Rangers it is at the end of their careers."

“That’s because it is very rare you get a move from Rangers to the Premier League, and I don’t mean any disrespect by that.

“They might go from Rangers to the Championship, very rarely is it to the Premier League. For me he should stay in England and keep progressing.”

Aribo has broken through on the international stage since impressing for Rangers, earning his first cap for Nigeria and scoring in their recent 2-2 friendly draw with Ukraine.
And Gerrard uses that as proof to suggest Bowyer’s comments were wide of the mark.

Gerrard said: “I spoke to Joe, he was on a recovery day. He is in a fantastic place, smiling away.
Congratulations to him, his first game and he manages to get a goal. And he was rewarded for his form as a Rangers player. It was his first call-up so it shows you he’s at the right place, playing football at the right level: European football, playing in Old Firms.

At last he has been recognised as an international player. Joe Aribo is in the right place, trust me.
They must have started watching him since he was playing for Rangers. They must be happy with him playing in Europa League games and playing in front of 51,000.

The people who select for the Nigerian national team know now that he can play in big football games.
I don’t know many players in the Championship who are playing for Nigeria.”

https://talksport.com/football/600898/s ... -transfer/
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Damn! Imagine having to play under Lee Bowyer and Steven Gerrard! Two of the most despicable people in football. Tufia!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

danfo driver wrote:Damn! Imagine having to play under Lee Bowyer and Steven Gerrard! Two of the most despicable people in football. Tufia!
At least he would learn to fight DJs and teammates.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

How Super Eagles debutant ended up with Iconic Number 10
Adebanjo Ogunseye
September 20, 2019 2:21 pm

Over a week ago Joe Aribo made his international debut for Nigeria, it was special for the 23 year-old midfielder.
Aribo, who was born in England and was eligible to play for the Three Lions, opted to suit up for Nigeria instead and he made an instant impact.
In the international friendly against Ukraine at the Dnipro Arena, he grabbed the headlines with the opening goal in a four-goal thriller.

The Scotland based player fired Nigeria into the lead before Victor Osimhen doubled for the Super Eagles inside the first 45 minutes.
However, the hosts responded in the concluding half, netting to quick goals late on to draw level and leave the arena with the eventual result 2-2.

The moment Aribo scored will be a memory to cherish; for the player, and for a long time too.
Partly because it was on his debut and more so because he did so wearing the team’s iconic number 10.
Many greats graced the number 10 for the Eagles; the likes of Jay Jay Okocha, Mikel Obi to mention a few, and the 23 year-old told brila.net he is not lost on the significance of it.
Fortuitously, the jersey number only recently wore by former Eagles captain and 2013 AFCON winner Mikel Obi, was handed to Aribo by the kit-man.
“It (the shirt number) was given to me and I was like wow. This is such a big number because of the Legends who’ve worn it,” the midfielder explained.
Usually, Coaches allot numbers of players insists on jersey numbers, but not in this case. When he was asked, how he got the number, Aribo said, “The kit-man gave me the shirt.”

https://www.brila.net/how-super-eagles- ... number-10/
Its a pity the full match still isn't available.
None of the extended Youtube highlights feature much of Aribo's game apart from his goal and flying header.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "