PEP Guardiola has destroyed John Stones

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
PEP Guardiola has destroyed John Stones

Post by danfo driver »

Why has Pep destroyed the young John Stones?

Everyone remembers Stones at Everton. A very promising fantastic young player. All the top clubs wanted him! Chelsea, Man United and City. He chose City and they paid 50 million pounds for him. Since, then, Guardiola has destroyed his confidence and reduced him into a straitjacket!

Why has Guardiola destroyed Stones' career?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: PEP Guardiola has destroyed John Stones

Post by cchinukw »

Is this your personal opionion again?

Is he back from injury? Is he performing to the levels expected of a Pep Guardiola squad member?

If this is about youth, is Sterling not a regular squad member?
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Performance related:

Jamie Carragher issues Nicolas Otamendi verdict and sends John Stones Man City warning

Nicolas Otamendi and John Stones have been heavily criticised following Manchester City's surprise defeat against Norwich City.

ByJosh ChalliesTrainee Sports Wire Writer
08:45, 17 SEP 2019

Former Liverpool defender and Sky Sports pundit Jamie Carragher has issued his verdict on the defensive pairing of Nicolas Otamendi and John Stones at Manchester City.

The duo have a poor record alongside each other for Pep Guardiola's side and those stats took another hit on Sunday following a shock 3-2 defeat to Norwich City, which leaves the defending champions five points behind Liverpool already.

Both defenders have been heavily criticised in the aftermath of that game and Carragher has not minced his words, claiming he has never been convinced about Otamendi 's ability.

While he is more understanding on Stones ' situation, he also warned the England international that he could now be playing for his future at the club.

“Otamendi dives in, he’s done it all his career, he will never change and that’s why he’s not good enough to play for Manchester City ,” he told Sky Sports.

“I’ve never believed he was from day one and nothing I’ve seen in the last four or five years has made me change my mind.”

“John Stones, in some ways over the next four or five months is fighting for his career. If it doesn’t go well for him, they’re going to buy someone. I always look at it as a big brother, little brother.

“At Liverpool, [Joel] Matip is the little brother. Matip without [Virgil] van Dijk does not look the same, he feels calm and confident. Pep Guardiola has got two little brothers playing at centre-back.

“They’ve got no help. Laporte is not there to help them, Kompany is not there to help them. At this moment, I don’t think Guardiola wants to put those two on the pitch together but he’s got no option because he hasn’t gone big in the transfer market.”

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... s-16929285

cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

From Pep's perspective.

John Stones will play 'incredible', says Pep Guardiola as Man City face six months without injured Aymeric Laporte

James Ducker, northern football correspondent
13 SEPTEMBER 2019 • 10:30PM

Pep Guardiola has ruled out the prospect of moving for a centre-half in January, despite Aymeric Laporte being ruled out for up to six months after knee surgery.

The City manager is confident John Stones and Nicolas Otamendi can rediscover the form they showed during his first title winning season at the club in 2017/18 and has backed the Englishman to “play incredible” during Laporte’s absence.

City have been linked with Inter Milan’s Milan Skriniar and Nathan Ake, of Bournemouth, but Guardiola said he would not be in the market for a new central defender during the winter transfer window.

Stones has struggled for form, fitness and confidence over the past six months but Guardiola is backing the England centre-half, Otamendi, Fernandinho, the midfielder who could be used as a makeshift defender, and youngsters Eric Garcia and Taylor Hartwood-Bellis to soften the blow of losing Laporte.

“He [Stones] is going to play incredible in this period while Laporte is not with us. I don't have any doubts about his quality, his personality. The same case like Nico,” Guardiola said.
Pep Guardiola says the club will not any January defensive transfer signings despite Aymeric Laporte's absence
CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

“Before Aymeric came they were a partnership and they played many, many games.

“Five or six months [Laporte will be out], January or February maybe. Aymeric in that position is important, for his left foot and his personality. Unfortunately he is injured so we’re going to live without him for a long time but we have enough resources to move forward and see what we can do.

“I heard already we are interested in this player or that player. I would like to say to all the clubs in the world, ‘Don’t be nervous, because we are not interested in any players or central defenders in Europe.’ We are going to survive with the players we have.

“Maybe in December we are going to start to think about it, maybe. But we could not invest in this situation in the summer so we cannot do it in winter.”

Meanwhile, Guardiola has encouraged Raheem Sterling to ignore the hype surrounding him and focus on his football after suggesting no one can compare with Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo at present.

“I’m so happy for him, for the way he’s playing here and in the national team, but hopefully he won’t read or listen to these kind of things,” Guardiola said. “Nobody can compare with Cristiano Ronaldo or Messi.

“Right now they [Sterling and other players] are not at that level. Maybe in the future I wish - that would be a dream for him and for all of us - but right now those two guys in the last decade scored 50 or 60 goals each season and I don’t know how many assists.

“They are something unique in the world football. If Raheem can target that level, wow. We will be here to help him and of course he can do it. I will not be the guy who puts limits on him and say, ‘Don’t think about that’, no absolutely not, I want it.”

Related Topics
Manchester City FC

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... -man-city/

cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Fitness related:

Why John Stones was not in Man City squad vs Tottenham

Manchester City defender John Stones started against West Ham United but was not in the matchday squad against Tottenham.
BySimon Bajkowski
16:55, 17 AUG 2019

John Stones will be assessed after being ruled out of Manchester City's Premier League game with Tottenham.

The England international started the first game of the season at West Ham and impressed in a defence that kept a clean sheet in the 5-0 win. However, there was no sign of Stones in the squad for the home game with Spurs the following week with Nicolas Otamendi coming into the starting lineup.

City confirmed that Stones had suffered a thigh strain, adding that a "prognosis is likely next week".

Pep Guardiola had praised the defender ahead of the game. "After three seasons together of course I am not disappointed in my players - never. I said many times he came from Everton where he played one game a week and didn't play regularly," he said.

"It's similar with Leroy [Sane] - he didn't play regularly at Schalke. In the first season, John struggled a bit at the beginning but I don't have that feeling for the last two seasons. The problem is he had two issues.

"When he played I am happy about his performance, I am happy how he accepts we handle, we can do better because there are things he can do better.

"He had a really good World Cup with the national team but he fought with injuries so dropped one or two months and it is not easy to come back after that, and with big competition with Nico, with Vinny, with Ayme and this season with Fernandinho. But I am never disappointed when we are together."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... m-16772672

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

this cchukwu is all over the place...everyone knows Stones has regressed
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Regressed? Hardly, Stones was never that good in the first place. In a league swollen with cultured, continental imports, the indigenous ink pushers have been desperate for Bobby Moores and Geoff Hursts. Yesterday it was John Stones, today is Harry Maguire who “allegedly” exudes class and confidence bringing the ball out of the back. Declan Rice is fast becoming the new flavour of the month. Truth be told, Stones is an average defender and no better than David Luiz with the ball at feet. Regressed, on the contrary, being found out for what he is. Much like Harry Maguire who was roasted alive a few weeks back.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Bigpokey24 wrote:this cchukwu is all over the place...everyone knows Stones has regressed
My bad for not making explicit the reasons for posting the articles. However, I did start each one with an angle that could be examined.

So we agree then that Pep cannot be blamed for whatever perception that Danfo has about his role in that regression?

The articles I posted hinted at :

a) A likely regression in performance which needed sorting.
b) Pep offering support at least in public
c) Injury

Hardly any of them point at Pep as being responsible in any way shape or form for what challenges John Stone's career may be up against at the moment.

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

cchinukw wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:this cchukwu is all over the place...everyone knows Stones has regressed
My bad for not making explicit the reasons for posting the articles. However, I did start each one with an angle that could be examined.

So we agree then that Pep cannot be blamed for whatever perception that Danfo has about his role in that regression?

c) Injury

Hardly any of them point at Pep as being responsible in any way shape or form for what challenges John Stone's career may be up against at the moment.
when Stones was at Everton, he was miles ahead of his current development , we all saw what Pep did to Jordan Sancho , talkless of killing Kelechi's moral ..Pep can never develop any young talent, he prefers to spend 70 million on Mahrez , 60 million on Cancelo and stuff them on the bench
SuperEagles

kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
cchinukw wrote:

c) Injury

when Stones was at Everton, he was miles ahead of his current development , we all saw what Pep did to Jordan Sancho , talkless of killing Kelechi's moral ..Pep can never develop any young talent, he prefers to spend 70 million on Mahrez , 60 million on Cancelo and stuff them on the bench
If Stones looked better at Everton then it was because of the talent, of lack of, he was surrounded with.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

^has Stone regressed since moving to City?
[/video]
SuperEagles

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

[/video]
Stones under Pep :D :lol: :lol: :lol: dayumn the back and forth between Alan Sheara and Phile Neville was priceless :lol: :lol:
SuperEagles

kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Manchester City and England defender John Stones will be out for between four and five weeks after suffering a muscle injury in training.
Stones suffered the injury in Ukraine on Tuesday, where City are preparing for Wednesday's Champions League group game with Shakhtar Donetsk.
The injury is a setback for City, who are also without Aymeric Laporte until January or February because of injury.
It leaves City with one established central defender in Nicolas Otamendi.

Danfo free the boy with your curse
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
cchinukw wrote:

c) Injury

How exactly did Pep destroy Stone's career?

Stones has won 3 or 4 titles under Pep. How does that amount to destroying his career?

If it appears as if his career is stalling, I have listed 3 likely reasons. None of these points at Pep as the source for whatever challenges he is facing - real or perceived.

This is like saying that Carlo Ancelotti was responsible for Torres's regression when he moved from Liverpool to Chelsea.

wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

kajifu wrote:Manchester City and England defender John Stones will be out for between four and five weeks after suffering a muscle injury in training.
Stones suffered the injury in Ukraine on Tuesday, where City are preparing for Wednesday's Champions League group game with Shakhtar Donetsk.
The injury is a setback for City, who are also without Aymeric Laporte until January or February because of injury.

Excuse to spend BIG in Winter!
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

My brother, that is the simple issue. The guy just went to look for articles to copy and paste! wasted his time because no one will read it; certainly not me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Has John Stones regressed? Yes or No! :D
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
cchinukw wrote:

c) Injury

Yup! Several top teams where begging for him.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

wanaj0 wrote:
kajifu wrote:Manchester City and England defender John Stones will be out for between four and five weeks after suffering a muscle injury in training.

Excuse to spend BIG in Winter!
Yup! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: The checkbook manager is already eyeing an 80 million pound defender because he cant improve what he has.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

danfo driver wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

My brother, that is the simple issue. The guy just went to look for articles to copy and paste! wasted his time because no one will read it; certainly not me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Has John Stones regressed? Yes or No! :D
Danfo, is this Pep's fault? Yes or No?

If so then provide evidence to support your claim. Chikena! :)

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Was Stones really as good as the hype suggested? Johnny had his opportunities and inevitably lost his place to those more assured and capable. Stones will never be a Kompany and isn’t fit to lace Laporte’s boots. That said, regression happens, look at Alexis and Mkhitaryan under Mourinho. How Jose managed to make one of the Prem’s standout performers for back to back seasons, as redundant as the beer swigging drunkard clutching his P45, remains a mystery beyond Scooby Doo investigative prowess.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Coach wrote:Was Stones really as good as the hype suggested? .
Did you watch Stones at Everton?
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

danfo driver wrote:
Believe you me, if Stones had naturally improved from his Everton form, these guys would be singing everyday about how Pep turned Stones into a superstar defender.
Actually it's not over, should Stones re discover his Everton form and do better, the praises will flow :biggrin:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

benteke wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Believe you me, if Stones had naturally improved from his Everton form, these guys would be singing everyday about how Pep turned Stones into a superstar defender.
Actually it's not over, should Stones re discover his Everton form and do better, the praises will flow :biggrin:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

You know them well well... I am waiting for the Mbaise Shakespeare to respond to my question.