England, Nigeria and Canada join the chase!!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: England, Nigeria and Canada join the chase!!

Post by Coach »

Benedict Iroha wrote:Develop our own players and stop using English academy to build our team.
Develop being the oxymoron in the above sentence presumably. Nigeria has no interest in actual development, favouring a bag full of silver to the infrastructural advancements that bring about sustainable development and upgrade. As for Tomori, if England’s interest is genuine, Ni-going nowhere-geria can forgerrit!
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Zelex wrote:
Damunk wrote:
greg wrote:I never seen someone pocket Mo Salah so easily. Great pace. Everyone currently knows us for our slow defenders so me I no mind o.
No mind dem!
If dem like, make dem chase am comot if he decides to don the GWG. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't think anyone is against or wouldn't support Tomori playing for the SE. Just a proportion of people don't believe in the idea of national teams "chasing" after players, which I can personally understand.
Can you name one national team that doesn't do this? The only other option from this in building a national team is foolishness.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Coach wrote:
Benedict Iroha wrote:Develop our own players and stop using English academy to build our team.
Develop being the oxymoron in the above sentence presumably. Nigeria has no interest in actual development, favouring a bag full of silver to the infrastructural advancements that bring about sustainable development and upgrade. As for Tomori, if England’s interest is genuine, Ni-going nowhere-geria can forgerrit!

it only makes sense if we do the same running the zoo; recruit best Nigerians scattered all over the globe to run the zoo including the presidency
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Except that the simple requirement to play for Nigeria is to be an eligible Nigerian. Nigerians will play for Nigeria, it doesn't matter where they were developed. We have Nigerians that schooled abroad in the House and Senate so why not in football. I guess if you go back home to work, you should be discriminated against because you have a foreign (aka English) degree and did not build your "English" or "American" career in Nigeria.

Some here have discriminatory tendencies. All you have left is a position and power to actually carry out your misgivings and start disenfranchising groups of Nigerians. The sort of thing that leads to wars. The worst thing is you'd actually believe you're doing the right thing and what is best for the country.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

felarey wrote:
Zelex wrote:
Damunk wrote:
greg wrote:I never seen someone pocket Mo Salah so easily. Great pace. Everyone currently knows us for our slow defenders so me I no mind o.
No mind dem!
If dem like, make dem chase am comot if he decides to don the GWG. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't think anyone is against or wouldn't support Tomori playing for the SE. Just a proportion of people don't believe in the idea of national teams "chasing" after players, which I can personally understand.
Can you name one national team that doesn't do this? The only other option from this in building a national team is foolishness.
"Chasing" or trying to convince players to play for a country is something a number of national teams do. It's a reflection of increased globalization and multi-cultural societies that we now live in. Nothing wrong with it per say. However I do find the idea of convincing someone to represent a country a little bizarre. It should be an honour to represent one's country. The fact one needs to have several discussions with an individual to get them to believe in our project doesn't sit well with me. It should be an instinctive decision to play for Nigeria but that is where we find ourselves today with modern sport. It not going to change so one best embrace it.
Zelex-CE World Cup 2010 prediction Winner
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177767
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Zelex wrote:
felarey wrote:
Zelex wrote:
Damunk wrote:
No mind dem!
"Chasing" or trying to convince players to play for a country is something a number of national teams do. It's a reflection of increased globalization and multi-cultural societies that we now live in. Nothing wrong with it per say. However I do find the idea of convincing someone to represent a country a little bizarre. It should be an honour to represent one's country. The fact one needs to have several discussions with an individual to get them to believe in our project doesn't sit well with me. It should be an instinctive decision to play for Nigeria but that is where we find ourselves today with modern sport. It not going to change so one best embrace it.
If you got a call asking for your useful services from Nigeria, should your decision be instinctive? Would you consider your options for your career, family, money etc?

Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

felarey wrote:
Zelex wrote:
felarey wrote:
Zelex wrote:
Damunk wrote:
No mind dem!
If you got a call asking for your useful services from Nigeria, should your decision be instinctive? Would you consider your options for your career, family, money etc?
I would most definitely consider my options. I don't think that is a good example though in relation to football. One's club career is what is most important in terms of a career, family and money which entirely depends on an individuals talent and work ethic. Aubameyeng playing for Gabon, George Weah for Liberia has had little effect on their reputation or career development. Agbonlahor chose England and played a couple of caps, it never really elevated his career. There is no guarantee that choosing to play for e.g. Nigeria ahead of England (or vice-versa) will lead to a better career-trophies are no guarantee especially in international football. The more reason why one should go with their instincts more often than not. Just my thoughts....
Zelex-CE World Cup 2010 prediction Winner
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177767
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Zelex wrote:
felarey wrote:
Zelex wrote:
felarey wrote:
Zelex wrote:
Damunk wrote:
No mind dem!
I would most definitely consider my options. I don't think that is a good example though in relation to football. One's club career is what is most important in terms of a career, family and money which entirely depends on an individuals talent and work ethic. Aubameyeng playing for Gabon, George Weah for Liberia has had little effect on their reputation or career development. Agbonlahor chose England and played a couple of caps, it never really elevated his career. There is no guarantee that choosing to play for e.g. Nigeria ahead of England (or vice-versa) will lead to a better career-trophies are no guarantee especially in international football. The more reason why one should go with their instincts more often than not. Just my thoughts....
You would consider your options and with that comes a possible need to be convinced. What options did Aubameyang or George Weah have for international football? I doubt they had the same options as the likes of Patrick Viera, Makelele, Zinedine Zidane, Paul Pogba etc....could really list 80% of the french team. If it were all about work ethic and talent, do you think all those English players in EPL clubs will be there making the big bucks and getting opportunities? Frankly many of them will not be there if they were not English. Availability for England alone is currency talkless playing for England. We know that playing for a national team whose fans actually show up in stadiums around the world, buy confectionery, shirts plus merchandize is an advantage during contract negotiation regarding commercial value ala money.
Take Wilfred Zaha for example, do you really believe Crystal Palace would be messing with him and he won't be at a top 4 club by now on atleast 200G/week if he were playing for England? As a regular, he'll easily get that contract on commercial value before talent and ability. Now if we go further and consider the fortunes of the national teams, rankings, potential etc. How has choosing France worked out for the many we know compared to heading to Congo or Cameroon? How did choosing Portugal ahead of Angola and Cape Verde help those portuguese players. Then on to what environment these players have grown and developed in. You'd find there's a lot that makes that instinctive response impossible. It's not as if Nigeria cares just because they're Nigerian and not because they're playing at a high level. Where was Nigeria 5 yrs ago when I brought Tomori here, I knew firsthand then that his family had never heard from anybody in Nigeria. We are not asking them out of favour, we're strategically and tactically trying to gain their commitment for our own good. The idea of an instinctive response is simply unrealistic.

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Bet your #$% Canada is on it, they can sell him on a Golden Generation too.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

kalani JR wrote:Bet your #$% Canada is on it, they can sell him on a Golden Generation too.
I bet Canada is bottom of the list.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Damunk wrote:
kalani JR wrote:Bet your #$% Canada is on it, they can sell him on a Golden Generation too.
I bet Canada is bottom of the list.
Bottom or not they're on it.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

This guy is more needed than Abraham, he’s a very good defender with attacking abilities,our defence definitely needs bulking up!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
MYMIND
Egg
Egg

Post by MYMIND »

Tomori has been called up by England just to end Nigeria's chase.

If he accepts the invitation then, he has made the final decision on his international future.

Tomori and Tammy will be given a few minutes to lock them up for life and end the debate.
goke313
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by goke313 »

MYMIND wrote:Tomori has been called up by England just to end Nigeria's chase.

If he accepts the invitation then, he has made the final decision on his international future.

Tomori and Tammy will be given a few minutes to lock them up for life and end the debate.
And that's it....They will never play a World Cup or Euro match
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

goke313 wrote:
MYMIND wrote:Tomori has been called up by England just to end Nigeria's chase.

And that's it....They will never play a World Cup or Euro match
Why is there so much bitterness on this issue? These guys had a choice and while Nigeria would have been glad to have them, they have (at least temporarily) chosen England. Am I surprised? Not at all. As I have stated so many times, England would and should be their No.1 choice since they grew up there, they are familiar culturally with England, most of their friends are English. No big deal. As for their international future, I think both are young enough to hope for a good international future with England. I wish them the best. We move on to the next guy.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics