"NIgeria's Strength Is In Transition"

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

john12
Egg
Egg
Re: "NIgeria's Strength Is In Transition"

Post by john12 »

Kalu, I’m sorry bro but your logic makes no sense to me. Mikel contributed to 3 Wc qualifications, and 1 ANC win. He deserves his due accolades and respect not disrespect. It wasn’t mikel fault that we failed to produce prominent talent to compliment him in the middle until 2 years ago when iwobi, ndidi came on board. Anyway, the pairing of ndidi and etebo makes our team defensive solid which is why they play together
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
kali wrote:Mikel Obi was the worst thing to happen to Nigerian football imho by concentrating focus at the central midfield and slowing the transition. Nigeria's strength has always been SPEED + Attacking through the wings and the Ukraine game you saw two players who brought it out wide - Kalu and Chukwueze with Iwobi almost playing a support striker.

Rohr should not get carried away. The 1994 team was excellent in defense (other than Eguavoen) and its central midfield of Oliseh and Adepoju were mobile enough to cut out attacks from the middle and to link quickly with the attack. Joe Aribo is lightening quick but he left gaping holes in the middle when he joined the attack. Etebo may be a good tackler but he does not link well with the attack.

I would like to see Rohr experiment with the central midfield and the backline. I would like to see how a midfield combination of Ndidi and Aina would work. Aina to me is a far better passer of the ball than either Etebo or Ndidi and someone who can defend in less space than out wide. I would like to see Etebo played out wide as a wing back where his tackling and speed could complement the attack.

As for the backline, they are not impressive and confused too often. There needs to be alternatives tried out to Omeruo and Troost Ekong as central backs.
I never understood why he was allowed to play as an attacking midfielder, it killed attacks each time for us.
Bigmanism.
It’s not Mikels fault more so lack of options...the ANC we won Keshi played Mikel in his proper position and he dominated there. And even in that ANC Keshi had to try Nosa and Mba there, then afterwards kid from AC Milan Odumadi, Michael Babatunde, even Moses without so much success. It’s been a tough position to fill since JJ even Rohr has tried Iheanacho etc there but Mikel played it well in WCQ. Good that we have a more serviceable Iwobi there.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

john12 wrote:Kalu, I’m sorry bro but your logic makes no sense to me. Mikel contributed to 3 Wc qualifications, and 1 ANC win. He deserves his due accolades and respect not disrespect. It wasn’t mikel fault that we failed to produce prominent talent to compliment him in the middle until 2 years ago when iwobi, ndidi came on board. Anyway, the pairing of ndidi and etebo makes our team defensive solid which is why they play together
I used to be a Mikel fan but truly on close examiniation he was the most overrated player in SE after Nwankwo Kanu. He brought a slow ponderous playing style to the center of the pitch. One or two great passes per match but that was it. Mikel was overrated.

Yes Mikel contributed to 3 WC qualifications and 1 ANC win but so did the other 21 players. However, it says a lot that with Mikel never really shone in any Nigerian championship team. Indeed, Nigeria failed to qualify 3 times for the Nations Cup with Mikel as a key player. The 2013 ANC win was DESPITE Mikel. It was thanks to the feats of Emmanuel Emenike. Mikel's performance in the midfield at the World Cups was drab. In the 3 WC he participated in 2010,2014 and 2018 can anybody say that the play of the Nigerian team was exciting?

Nigeria Nations Cup
-----------------------
2008: Q Final
2010: 3rd Place
2012: Did not Qualify
2013: Won
2015: Did not Qualify
2017: Did Not Qualify

About the Etebo + Ndidi combination, defensively it is great. But attacking wise it is lacking because neither Ndidi or Etebo are great passers of the ball. I think that is why everybody is raving Joe Aribo. He brought MOVEMENT and PASSING to the midfield. So the choice is to replace Ndidi or Etebo with a CM. I like Etebo but Ndidi is better as DM to partner with Aribo or Azeez. But frankly I would switch Etebo out as a left or right wing back. Etebo can get up and down the field and is a great tackler. He would solve our defensive problems out wide.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

kali wrote:
john12 wrote:Kalu, I’m sorry bro but your logic makes no sense to me. Mikel contributed to 3 Wc qualifications, and 1 ANC win. He deserves his due accolades and respect not disrespect. It wasn’t mikel fault that we failed to produce prominent talent to compliment him in the middle until 2 years ago when iwobi, ndidi came on board. Anyway, the pairing of ndidi and etebo makes our team defensive solid which is why they play together
I used to be a Mikel fan but truly on close examiniation he was the most overrated player in SE after Nwankwo Kanu. He brought a slow ponderous playing style to the center of the pitch. One or two great passes per match but that was it. Mikel was overrated.

Yes Mikel contributed to 3 WC qualifications and 1 ANC win but so did the other 21 players. However, it says a lot that with Mikel never really shone in any Nigerian championship team. Indeed, Nigeria failed to qualify 3 times for the Nations Cup with Mikel as a key player. The 2013 ANC win was DESPITE Mikel. It was thanks to the feats of Emmanuel Emenike. Mikel's performance in the midfield at the World Cups was drab. In the 3 WC he participated in 2010,2014 and 2018 can anybody say that the play of the Nigerian team was exciting?

Nigeria Nations Cup
-----------------------
2008: Q Final
2010: 3rd Place
2012: Did not Qualify
2013: Won
2015: Did not Qualify
2017: Did Not Qualify

About the Etebo + Ndidi combination, defensively it is great. But attacking wise it is lacking because neither Ndidi or Etebo are great passers of the ball. I think that is why everybody is raving Joe Aribo. He brought MOVEMENT and PASSING to the midfield. So the choice is to replace Ndidi or Etebo with a CM. I like Etebo but Ndidi is better as DM to partner with Aribo or Azeez. But frankly I would switch Etebo out as a left or right wing back. Etebo can get up and down the field and is a great tackler. He would solve our defensive problems out wide.

Absolute garbage! This is the uselessest post ever on CE. :boo:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

nzeogwu wrote:We may be on to something. Bench warmers or not.
Nigeria needs to play Naija footie. Unpredictable and as Big Uche put it...Mysterious.

We do not thrive with slow midfielders. Any European team can counter that approach.

As for Taribo, Babanffida and Kanu, their debut was in 1994 before the World Cup. We played and lost to Sweden prior to the Mundial. 1-3. That was the last viewing of Wole Odegbami and Sunday Daniel.
Emma Okocha as well.
I am happy
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Kali once again I disagree with you. I hope you realize that Nigeria had only won ANC twice and Wc R16 once prior to Mikel Obi emergence? Basically, he matched the Golden generation in terms of Results and performance and he was also a key player. Also, the bobo has double figures assists for SE (enugu can attest) anyway, my point is that we should never denigrate legends to hail talented youngsters because as talented as these new boys are, they haven’t achieved much for SE
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

john12 wrote:Kali once again I disagree with you. I hope you realize that Nigeria had only won ANC twice and Wc R16 once prior to Mikel Obi emergence? Basically, he matched the Golden generation in terms of Results and performance and he was also a key player. Also, the bobo has double figures assists for SE (enugu can attest) anyway, my point is that we should never denigrate legends to hail talented youngsters because as talented as these new boys are, they haven’t achieved much for SE
Some may be denigrating Mikel, but I certainly am not.
But I am recognizing that his playing style did not complement the successful swift transitional play the great Nigerian teams were known for. That is just an observation of fact.
It takes nothing away from his achievements.

You seem to be very reluctant to embrace change, believing our 'legends' must retain their positions until they are on zimmer frames. :lol:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

john12 wrote:Kali once again I disagree with you. I hope you realize that Nigeria had only won ANC twice and Wc R16 once prior to Mikel Obi emergence? Basically, he matched the Golden generation in terms of Results and performance and he was also a key player. Also, the bobo has double figures assists for SE (enugu can attest) anyway, my point is that we should never denigrate legends to hail talented youngsters because as talented as these new boys are, they haven’t achieved much for SE
Can you honestly say rhat Mikel lead Nigeria to win ANC 2013? No. He wasn't even a standout player in the tournament. The fact is that he underwhelmed as a player for the national team. Look at the difference in this year's ANC when Rohr finally dropped Mikel. Nigeria playedits best football for a long time and missed out on the final due to last minute heroics.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Damunk wrote:Is Another Golden Generation About to Emerge?
In the FIFA video below, Oliseh states how in hindsight our strength in those 'golden' years was "in our transition'' - from defense into ferocious attack.

I remember how Finidi on the right and Amuneke on the left would swoop like vultures onto unsuspecting defenses, with Yekini galloping down the middle and Amokachi and Okocha close behind.

I will forever recall a newspaper report when Nigeria came to Wembley in 1994 and a local British paper reported watching a SE training session. The report described how they witnessed Finidi and Amunike "thundering down the wings at frightening speed" with Coach Amodu (may he RIP) shouting "Fire! Fire!!!". :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

[/video]

Nigeria's first-ever WC goal v Bulgaria (Yekini) typifies that approach.
Actually, it has always been obvious in our youth teams who's style of play could be said to be 'unadulterated'. The Iheanacho (2013) and Osimhen (20015) sets in particular were deadly counterattacking teams with light-speed transitional play.
Maybe then, this is the "Nigerian style' people vaguely refer to.

As much as I have the greatest respect for Mikel Obi, I can see how his presence influenced a different approach which was not quite where our strength is. The team was built around him and to be honest we didn't quite have the same quality of players. It was difficult for his many fans to recognise that his style as being almost incompatible with the rapid transition approach that brought us so much joy in the past. But now he is gone, it seems more obvious. His so-called 'big man football' was just his more cerebral approach to the game and his role.

Today I see Kalu, Chukwueze and Osimhen in the exact same light as that 'frighteningly fast' attack line of 94-98, with Iwobi and Aribo just behind them. In addition, I believe they bring an additional level of trickery to the game which, if harnessed to the max would continuously win us set pieces.

[/video]

Not quite there yet but that 'Nigerian style' might be on its way back.
Brazil awaits.
Fingers crossed. :thumb:
We need Kingsley Michael to fulfil his potentials as his fast paced game is suited to the SE attack of Kalu, Osimhen and Chukwueze or Onyekuru.
Michael's greatest strengths are his quick movements on and off the ball. I salivate at what this boy can bring to the SE table. He will be an asset in the team's quick transition.
I am happy
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Dammy wrote:
In the FIFA video below, Oliseh states how in hindsight our strength in those 'golden' years was "in our transition'' - from defense into ferocious attack.

I remember how Finidi on the right and Amuneke on the left would swoop like vultures onto unsuspecting defenses, with Yekini galloping down the middle and Amokachi and Okocha close behind.

I will forever recall a newspaper report when Nigeria came to Wembley in 1994 and a local British paper reported watching a SE training session. The report described how they witnessed Finidi and Amunike "thundering down the wings at frightening speed" with Coach Amodu (may he RIP) shouting "Fire! Fire!!!". :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

[/video]

Actually, it has always been obvious in our youth teams who's style of play could be said to be 'unadulterated'. The Iheanacho (2013) and Osimhen (20015) sets in particular were deadly counterattacking teams with light-speed transitional play.

As much as I have the greatest respect for Mikel Obi, I can see how his presence influenced a different approach which was not quite where our strength is. The team was built around him and to be honest we didn't quite have the same quality of players. It was difficult for his many fans to recognise that his style as being almost incompatible with the rapid transition approach that brought us so much joy in the past. But now he is gone, it seems more obvious. His so-called 'big man football' was just his more cerebral approach to the game and his role.

Today I see Kalu, Chukwueze and Osimhen in the exact same light as that 'frighteningly fast' attack line of 94-98, with Iwobi and Aribo just behind them. In addition, I believe they bring an additional level of trickery to the game which, if harnessed to the max would continuously win us set pieces.

[/video]

Brazil awaits.
We need Kingsley Michael to fulfil his potentials as his fast paced game is suited to the SE attack of Kalu, Osimhen and Chukwueze or Onyekuru.
Michael's greatest strengths are his quick movements on and off the ball. I salivate at what this boy can bring to the SE table. He will be an asset in the team's quick transition.
Dammy, I havent seen much of KM in the adult game.
I like what I'm hearing from you (and others), but he didn't seem to stand out when he played for the U23s.
I'll probably go look for some of his more recent videos.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Damunk wrote:
Dammy wrote:

[/video]

[/video]

Brazil awaits.
I like what I'm hearing from you (and others), but he didn't seem to stand out when he played for the U23s.
Kingsley was the player of the 2018 pre season with Bologna and Perugia put a lot of pressure on Bologna to loan him to them, which they eventually did.
He was the best player in Perugia until he picked up an injury in Feb/March and didn't really feature as much and did not play up to his high standards. It was this form that he carried into the U20 WC.
The summer break rejuvenated him and he was again the best player in pre season earning a lot of praise. He started the first 2 competitive matches for Bologna this season and was among the highest rated players only for Bologna to bring in the veteran Chilean, Gary Medel, and send him on loan to Cremonense in Serie B, where he's yet to play a single match.
This justified my fears when the Serbian, Sinisa Mijatovic, was appointed as Bologna manager. He's a manager with a poor record when it comes to black/African players. One of the first things he did on becoming manager was to send Orji Okonkwo out on loan and reduce playing time for the Ghanaian, Donsah. So I feared for Kingsley's progress under him. When Mijatovic was diagnosed with leukaemia, I thought he was going to resign but he didn't. He was not involved in the pre season as he was hospitalised but returned to the bench for the league opener and I believe he was the one who sent Kingsley back to Serie B despite his good performances.
I am happy
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Dammy wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Dammy wrote: We need Kingsley Michael to fulfil his potentials as his fast paced game is suited to the SE attack of Kalu, Osimhen and Chukwueze or Onyekuru.
Kingsley was the player of the 2018 pre season with Bologna and Perugia put a lot of pressure on Bologna to loan him to them, which they eventually did.
He was the best player in Perugia until he picked up an injury in Feb/March and didn't really feature as much and did not play up to his high standards. It was this form that he carried into the U20 WC.
The summer break rejuvenated him and he was again the best player in pre season earning a lot of praise. He started the first 2 competitive matches for Bologna this season and was among the highest rated players only for Bologna to bring in the veteran Chilean, Gary Medel, and send him on loan to Cremonense in Serie B, where he's yet to play a single match.
This justified my fears when the Serbian, Sinisa Mijatovic, was appointed as Bologna manager. He's a manager with a poor record when it comes to black/African players. One of the first things he did on becoming manager was to send Orji Okonkwo out on loan and reduce playing time for the Ghanaian, Donsah. So I feared for Kingsley's progress under him. When Mijatovic was diagnosed with leukaemia, I thought he was going to resign but he didn't. He was not involved in the pre season as he was hospitalised but returned to the bench for the league opener and I believe he was the one who sent Kingsley back to Serie B despite his good performances.
Thanks.
Will pay more attention to him now.
How is he doing and what about okonkwo?
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Damunk: there is a reason in the olympics, naija only features in the sprints and not in the long-distance races. On average, we are more built more skewed toward short bursts of explosiveness than steady high work-rate. At our best, we play with explosive wings and forwards and we couple that with midfielders with more lungs, who can run for days. so what you end up with is Naija-style, of slow ponderous play in the back and sudden intermittent bouts of lightening quick transitions. When you have players of high technical and tactical ability executing those transitions, it is a delight to watch, and devastating to teams with slow players.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Damunk wrote:
Dammy wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Dammy wrote: We need Kingsley Michael to fulfil his potentials as his fast paced game is suited to the SE attack of Kalu, Osimhen and Chukwueze or Onyekuru.
Thanks.
Will pay more attention to him now.
How is he doing and what about okonkwo?
Okonkwo is on loan at Montreal Impact until January 2020.
I am happy
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

kali are you sure that you watched CAN13? mikel was the BEST midfielder in that Tournament even better than yaya and keita. Doc, I'm not a fan of overhyping talents due to 1 good game. let them Qualify for world cup, Win ANC until then, they're still "talented youngsters" sometimes, we act so much on emotions and make judgement based on 1game
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

[/video]

for the false narrator and the forum member aka damunk trying to change history
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Nigeria was ahead of their time in the 1990s with those electrifying counter-attacks. These days Klopp's Dortmund and Liverpool, Fergie's Man Utd (Giggs and Kanchelskis/Sharpe or the Rooney-CR7-Tevez trident) and several other teams do that as a routine, and they are hailed as revolutionary tactics. Even Man Utd's goal against Arsenal last night resulted from a rapid counter-attack where Man Utd cleared an Arsenal corner, attacked, and scored a few seconds later.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

wiseone wrote:Nigeria was ahead of their time in the 1990s with those electrifying counter-attacks. These days Klopp's Dortmund and Liverpool, Fergie's Man Utd (Giggs and Kanchelskis/Sharpe or the Rooney-CR7-Tevez trident) and several other teams do that as a routine, and they are hailed as revolutionary tactics. Even Man Utd's goal against Arsenal last night resulted from a rapid counter-attack where Man Utd cleared an Arsenal corner, attacked, and scored a few seconds later.
We countered very well in Uyo vs Cameroon ..Mikel was on the pitch and he started one with Moses...Damunk is clueless

[/video]
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved