AFCON 2019: MIKEL-ROHR CLASH OVER IWOBI?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
AFCON 2019: MIKEL-ROHR CLASH OVER IWOBI?

Post by Damunk »

How Mikel Obi tried to get Alex Iwobi dropped from Super Eagles starting XI during AFCON 2019
The story of how Mikel Obi demanded the dropping of Iwobi from Super Eagles' starting XI during AFCON 2019.

Former Super Eagles captain Mikel Obi tried to get Alex Iwobi dropped from the starting XI during the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON), a new report has revealed.
Mikel Obi and Iwobi played together only once during the tournament in Egypt and it has been revealed that the then captain wanted his teammate dropped because he was encroaching in his space on the pitch.

It was British-Nigerian journalist Osasu Obayiuwana who reported the incident after a conversation with Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr at his base in Bordeaux.
Obayiuwana revealed that Mikel made the demand after the first game of the tournament.
The veteran midfielder played as the N0. 10 in that game before he was taken off in the 58th minute while Iwobi played from the left side of the Super Eagles attack.

The then Super Eagles captain was however not pleased with how Iwobi was cutting into the middle and felt that his teammate was ‘cramping his playing space and style' and wanted him dropped although Rohr refused the demand.

The drop
The fallout also made it easy for Rohr to drop Mikel from the starting XI after two underwhelming performances in the group stage.

According to Obayiuwana, Rohr had found it difficult to use Mikel as a bit-part player in Egypt even when the midfielder had joined the Super Eagles camp in bad physical condition.
“After (Mikel’s) top-grade performance with (Middlesbrough) in the championship, it was thought that he would exhibit the same form during the (AFCON 2019),” Obayiuwana narrated on Twitter.
“But despite engaging a personal trainer after the season, Mikel’s physical conditioning dropped.
“This was quite evident in Asaba, during the one-week I spent with the (Super Eagles), before they left for Egypt.

But he was always going to be a part of the squad because Gernot sees him as integral to it, even when he’s not 100% fit.” However, after Mikel’s underwhelming performance in Nigeria’s first game and the fallout over Iwobi, Rohr now had good reasons to drop his captain from the starting XI.
The former Chelsea star was given another opportunity in Nigeria’s third group game but he performed poorly again. He didn’t play another game at AFCON 2019. Iwobi started all other games in the N0. 10 role.

“The drop in (Mikel’s) physical conditioning - as seen from the group (AFCON 2019) games he played -forced Rohr and the staff to take the decision that he wouldn’t have more than a bit-part role during the tournament,” Obayiuwana also said.

Respect for Mikel
Gernot Rohr says he still has huge respect for Mikel and was happy the midfielder ended his Super Eagles career on a good note.

Despite the incident, Rohr had nothing but praise for Mikel and said it was important that the midfielder finished his Super Eagles career on a good note. “He served the Super Eagles very well, for many years. It was very important that he finished his career with Nigeria in a good way. I have nothing but respect for him and how we worked together,” Rohr is quoted to have said by Obayiuwana.

“Yes, there were some difficult moments with (Mikel) during the tournament. But it’s normal for players and coaches to have these things. That’s why I’m the manager. I have to manage.”

While Mikel played only two games at AFCON 2019, Iwobi featured in all Nigeria’s matches and scored a goal. Mikel retired from the Super Eagles after AFCON 2019 and announced his decision on social media a day after Nigeria beat Tunisia in the third-place match.

https://www.pulse.ng/sports/football/ho ... on/8tj8lmm
So who is Osazu Obayiuwana?
Seems quite a controversial guy, said to be "always hearing things" :lol:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: AFCON 2019: MIKEL-ROHR CLASH OVER IWOBI?

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Junk journalism...now they attack troost :rotf: damunk go to bed

Move on, Mikel has left the SE , focus on the present and future...
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

I don’t know if the story is true but the journalist in question is quite reputable. He is the same one to ask pep “why he didn’t win CL without Messi” and ancelotti a difficult question
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

john12 wrote:I don’t know if the story is true but the journalist in question is quite reputable. He is the same one to ask pep “why he didn’t win CL without Messi” and ancelotti a difficult question
So asking crude and ignorant questions makes him credible?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

nope brother I'm just saying that his well famous and established and his usually privy to interviewing famous people
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

john12 wrote:I don’t know if the story is true but the journalist in question is quite reputable. He is the same one to ask pep “why he didn’t win CL without Messi” and ancelotti a difficult question
Like Mimi Fawaz told him over this reports, it's not credible but sensationalist journalism. He couldn't give a response. If you can name Troost Ekong, then don't shield his accuser's identity. Junk journalism
I am happy
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

True makes sense but maybe the Rat is hidden for safety reasons
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

mikel would never under any circumstance straight up ask Rohr to drop anyone talk less iwobi; inconsistent with the character of the guy we know for last 15 years
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

jette1 wrote:mikel would never under any circumstance straight up ask Rohr to drop anyone talk less iwobi; inconsistent with the character of the guy we know for last 15 years
Not saying he did, b/c I don't believe this story, but you are aware of the reason he got a gucci slipper to the cheek right?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

maceo4 wrote:
jette1 wrote:mikel would never under any circumstance straight up ask Rohr to drop anyone talk less iwobi; inconsistent with the character of the guy we know for last 15 years
Not saying he did, b/c I don't believe this story, but you are aware of the reason he got a gucci slipper to the cheek right?
That's also a rumour
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

maceo4 wrote:
You were in Brazil? Did you read such on the internet or it's another hearsay? You see you live in a country whereby evidence will either exonerate you or get you convicted. However you've taken words from the hustling recharge card giver muyiwa lawal as truth going on 5 years, then now you take a JJ and use such to approve this pointless thread ...smh ...mace get a hold of yourself
SuperEagles

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
You were in Brazil? Did you read such on the internet or it's another hearsay? You see you live in a country whereby evidence will either exonerate you or get you convicted. However you've taken words from the hustling recharge card giver muyiwa lawal as truth going on 5 years, then now you take a JJ and use such to approve this pointless thread ...smh ...mace get a hold of yourself
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Iwobi no bold e for use Fendi slides clean the bobo teeth!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

maceo4 wrote:
Yes mikel is gentle and meek but only an angel* would really believe anyone would slap mikel and not wind up in mortuary. I mean have not seen a heated mikel ?
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

jette1 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Yes mikel is gentle and meek but only an angel* would really believe anyone would slap mikel and not wind up in mortuary. I mean have not seen a heated mikel ?
Have you seen Osaze when mad? That Russian rage go finish Mikel that’s why he ain’t do jack, collected his slap and sat down...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

maceo4 wrote:
jette1 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Have you seen Osaze when mad? That Russian rage go finish Mikel that’s why he ain’t do jack, collected his slap and sat down...
So you were in the same room and you saw the slap live? Was it a back hand slap, was it on his left or right side of the face ? Or you went by a story obtained from lawal? Today we don't see the lawal anymore....be it on twitter or CE...what has happened to lawal?
SuperEagles

obaGol
Egg
Egg

Post by obaGol »

Glad this mediocre period of our soccer lives is over
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

obaGol wrote:Glad this mediocre period of our soccer lives is over
Mediocre period?

Where do the excavate you people from?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Cellular wrote:
Mediocre period?

Which part you no understand? Mediocre or period :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :mrgreen:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

maceo4 wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Mediocre period?

Which part you no understand? Mediocre or period :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :mrgreen:
I typically gauge people's understanding of the game by how they rate certain players.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Cellular wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Mediocre period?

I typically gauge people's understanding of the game by how they rate certain players.
:rotf: right...players like John Ogu that can't even get a team on a free transfer abi? Or is it the Mikels that couldn't get a single EPL team after Chelski and has to go to China and Turkey? Your gauge don off siiiiiiiince, no be today :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :mrgreen:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
obaGol
Egg
Egg

Post by obaGol »

maceo4 wrote:
Cellular wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Mediocre period?

:rotf: right...players like John Ogu that can't even get a team on a free transfer abi? Or is it the Mikels that couldn't get a single EPL team after Chelski and has to go to China and Turkey? Your gauge don off siiiiiiiince, no be today :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

maceo4 wrote:
Cellular wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Mediocre period?

You see why I don't bother discussing football with you. Someone plays at Chelski for 10 odd years wins everything winnable for the team and you are judging him based on what he is able to do as an 'old man'. His mates that went into coaching and can't get a professional contract negates their previous accomplishments?

Nna, just enter ROM.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Cellular wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Cellular wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Mediocre period?

You see why I don't bother discussing football with you. Someone plays at Chelski for 10 odd years wins everything winnable for the team and you are judging him based on what he is able to do as an 'old man'. His mates that went into coaching and can't get a professional contract negates their previous accomplishments?

Nna, just enter ROM.
Did I only mention Mikel? What about Ogu? What about your views on him should make anyone want to discuss footie with you? His umpteen years in Israel or his inability to find a club? Abeg make we hear word jo, you just like slow ponderous players and in your mind that equates to ballers :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Super Eagus 4 Life!