The Arsenal FC - Related News and Development for 2019/2020

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The Arsenal FC - Related News and Development for 2019/2

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

Sleaky72 wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Sleaky72 wrote:I don’t want to call out people on this forum but Tunis Goon has been all over the forum calling people who don’t agree with him names like “obtuse, stupid and simple” but here are just a few of his flip flopping gems. The guy blames Emery and Xhaka for all the ills of the club but these are his own quotes on Xhak.
“Can't wait to see Xhaka in Arsenal CM. Arsenal finally have legit complete CM.”
This guy is like a bloody wind vane. Next thing we know he will demand a return of Wenger to the Emirates and insulting anyone who disagrees with him irrational and unforgiving!

Hey simpleton check date of that post. Care to post anything from last 2 years+

Are you the type of person that buys a stock and never sells despite new info, data and results...again stay simple my friend!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a utter moron!!!!
Earl Flip Flop so you’re doubling down on abusive language to mask for your exposed Con man persona? Ok how long ago was it that you were defending Emery and abusing Ozil? Ah yeah, speaking of stocks, trading and frauds ... You are Bernie Madoff!! Con Artist !!
Sad plight of a simpleton..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Again go check what I said in pre season about Ozil..go check it out and get back to me!!!

Said all preseason Auba and Ozil were head and shoulders above every Gunner.

Again only obtuse people are intractable in their POV. If you can't see how Ozil would be a massive benefit for Auba and Pepe or how Emery midfield selection is absurd....

Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Sleaky72 wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Sleaky72 wrote:I don’t want to call out people on this forum but Tunis Goon has been all over the forum calling people who don’t agree with him names like “obtuse, stupid and simple” but here are just a few of his flip flopping gems. The guy blames Emery and Xhaka for all the ills of the club but these are his own quotes on Xhak.
“Can't wait to see Xhaka in Arsenal CM. Arsenal finally have legit complete CM.”
This guy is like a bloody wind vane. Next thing we know he will demand a return of Wenger to the Emirates and insulting anyone who disagrees with him irrational and unforgiving!

Are you the type of person that buys a stock and never sells despite new info, data and results...again stay simple my friend!!!

What a utter moron!!!!
Earl Flip Flop so you’re doubling down on abusive language to mask for your exposed Con man persona? Ok how long ago was it that you were defending Emery and abusing Ozil? Ah yeah, speaking of stocks, trading and frauds ... You are Bernie Madoff!! Con Artist !!

Again go check what I said in pre season about Ozil..go check it out and get back to me!!!

Again only obtuse people are intractable in their POV. If you can't see how Ozil would be a massive benefit for Auba and Pepe or how Emery midfield selection is absurd....

Yeah Yeah Bernie Madoff. We will be watching your next Con act and flip flop. Your fake aggression is a sign an exposed con artist.

You called Xhaka the most complete midfielder but now he is the problem at Arsenal !

You praised and defended Emery with all your passion and stats but now he is garbage according to you!

For years you abused and dogged Mesut Ozil but now he is suddenly the God send savior and cure for all the problems ailing the team that resides in third place with four key players set to return from injury.

But nah we don’t know anything because we refuse 2 flip flop and engage in con man lies LIKE YOU!

I'm not sure whether it is me changing my mind, or whether I lie a lot.
David Bowie :D :smile: :smile:
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Sleaky72 wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Sleaky72 wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:

What a utter moron!!!!

Yeah Yeah Bernie Madoff. We will be watching your next Con act and flip flop. Your fake aggression is a sign an exposed con artist.

You called Xhaka the most complete midfielder but now he is the problem at Arsenal !

You praised and defended Emery with all your passion and stats but now he is garbage according to you!

For years you abused and dogged Mesut Ozil but now he is suddenly the God send savior and cure for all the problems ailing the team that resides in third place with four key players set to return from injury.

But nah we don’t know anything because we refuse 2 flip flop and engage in con man lies LIKE YOU!

And nothing about football, all narrative and 0 substance.

Nothing from analytical POV on unworkable CM trio of Xhaka-Guendouzi-Cebellos.

Nothing via heat track on isolation between front 3 and midfield.

Not single point of data on how Ozil set of skills can break Emery imposed moat surrounding Auba and Pepe.

Nothing on Waffi stats about sustainability of Auba and Laca chance to conversion ratio and how that trend continues with Auba this season.

Nothing on data regarding Arsenal extremely worrisome chance, shots conceded numbers...

Again stay simple my friend!!!!

Detective Bunk Moreland

Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Emery better pray Bellerin stays healthy, overlapping FB badly missed. If Bellerin gets hurt again and Ozil is exiled....Pepe is fooked.
Detective Bunk Moreland

Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Sleaky72 wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Sleaky72 wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:

What a utter moron!!!!

And nothing about football, all narrative and 0 substance.

Nothing from analytical POV on unworkable CM trio of Xhaka-Guendouzi-Cebellos.

Nothing via heat track on isolation between front 3 and midfield.

Not single point of data on how Ozil set of skills can break Emery imposed moat surrounding Auba and Pepe.

Nothing on Waffi stats about sustainability of Auba and Laca chance to conversion ratio and how that trend continues with Auba this season.

Nothing on data regarding Arsenal extremely worrisome chance, shots conceded numbers...

Again stay simple my friend!!!!

Data says ur a Liar who resorts to insults when caught in your lies or so called “changes”.

Data says Auba led the league in scoring without Ozil’s help.

Data says Arsenal are in THIRD place without Tierney, Bellerin, Laca and Holding despite all your lies and false statistics.

Data says Arsenal are a point behind the Mighty CITY!

Data says we have made incredible progress with our youth and their development!

Data says players like Ozil are Outdated and no top club in the world wants him!

Data says you’ve done a TRIPLE FLIP FLOP ON OZIL!

You said he was great then Terrible and now he is great and essential again :lol:

Data says you’re a Liar and I’m tired of exposing YOU!

So go and continue Lying!

Earl Flip Flopper!
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Pepe to Emery......

Detective Bunk Moreland

Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Tierney and Bellerin are last chance saloon scenario for Emery.

If Tierney and Bellerin perform to expectations and stay fit top 4 a certainty...if not...Oh boy!!!!

Detective Bunk Moreland

amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:BTW as Waffi was saying about Pepe.....

Rubbish. Iwobi was playing the exact same position on the other wing last season from which he generated a team-leading number of chances created (without his stats being inflated by set-pieces), he also generated loads of chances created for Kolasinac.
How was Iwobi able to do what Pepe is struggling to do. Pepe may be a better dribbler, but he has less football sense than Iwobi. Yes I said it. Why was he trying to dribble 3 people in this clip. Once he cut the ball back, he should have passed back and tried to get into a more advantageous position,instead he is dribbling to nowhere.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Emery's system is about working a 3 man (RWF/RB/RCM or LWF/LCM/LB) triangle on the wings, with the goal of springing either the full-back or WF free on the wings for a cross or a diagonal pass to the center where Auba is. Once that side gets overloaded with defenders, the ball gets passed back to the 3-man defensive triangle (Xhaka, + 2 CDs) and the moved over to the other side to try again. Rinse and Repeat and that's Emery's attack.

Mr Pepe deciding to go on a dribbling run messes that up. Iwobi playing the same position, passes or holds onto the ball and then releases Kola free to cut-back.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Wengerlosophy :)

Wenger feels Emery has it easier at Arsenal, while Pochettino has lost Spurs’ spark

Arsene Wenger believes Unai Emery is helping to highlight just how good a job he did at Arsenal, with top-four finishes now considered to be cause for celebration.

That was rarely the case during the 22-year reign of an iconic Frenchman in north London.

Wenger oversaw three Premier League title triumphs with the Gunners, including the fabled ‘Invincibles’ campaign of 2003-04.

For two decades he had Arsenal established among the English and European elite.

His powers began to fade towards the end, as he missed out on Champions League qualification in successive seasons, and walked away in the summer of 2018.

Emery, his successor, also failed to secure a top-four finish in his debut campaign, but is being charged with that task after a summer of healthy investment in the transfer market.

Wenger believes expectations have been lowered at Emirates Stadium, with that helping to highlight the fine work that he did.

The former Gunners boss told beIN Sports: "Every year people want something more from you. I experienced that at Arsenal.

"We were 20 consecutive years in the top four but in the end it was not enough anymore.

"Today if you get into the Champions League people are very happy.

"That happened to [Mauricio] Pochettino. Once you're somewhere four or five years, no matter how good a job you have done, you have to show people you can give even more. He's at that stage."

Tottenham boss Pochettino, once a direct rival of Wenger, is finding out the hard way this season how fickle football can be.

He has guided Spurs to a regular Champions League spot and the final of Europe’s premier club competition.

The Argentine is, however, finding the going tough in 2019-20, leading to inevitable questioning of his future.

Wenger is not surprised by the sack talk, or the fact that Tottenham are enduring a wobble.

For him, a once young and hungry squad has rather lost its appetite, with changes in the offing as senior players run down their contracts and others are linked with big-money moves.

"When I played them two or three years ago, they looked like a young, hungry team who had found good strengths, good core of the team with people who were together, growing inside the club,” Wenger said of north London neighbours.

"They expressed that hunger and players from outside were vital, like [Christian] Eriksen. Today, you don't feel exactly the same chemistry, and a player like Eriksen is a bit sidelined because it looks like he doesn't want to commit his future to the club.

"Modern life is down to small margins, and these small margins at the moment are not in their favour. Will they get that back?"

https://news.yahoo.com/wenger-feels-eme ... 21452.html
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

amafolas wrote:Emery's system is about working a 3 man (RWF/RB/RCM or LWF/LCM/LB) triangle on the wings, with the goal of springing either the full-back or WF free on the wings for a cross or a diagonal pass to the center where Auba is. Once that side gets overloaded with defenders, the ball gets passed back to the 3-man defensive triangle (Xhaka, + 2 CDs) and the moved over to the other side to try again. Rinse and Repeat and that's Emery's attack.

Mr Pepe deciding to go on a dribbling run messes that up. Iwobi playing the same position, passes or holds onto the ball and then releases Kola free to cut-back.
Who did Iwobi have making key runs from CM...Ramsey!

until Jan he had Bellerin as RB and Laca and even Ozil.

Look at tape the gape between the midfield, RB and the front 3 is as large as the grand canyon.
Detective Bunk Moreland

amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
amafolas wrote:Emery's system is about working a 3 man (RWF/RB/RCM or LWF/LCM/LB) triangle on the wings, with the goal of springing either the full-back or WF free on the wings for a cross or a diagonal pass to the center where Auba is. Once that side gets overloaded with defenders, the ball gets passed back to the 3-man defensive triangle (Xhaka, + 2 CDs) and the moved over to the other side to try again. Rinse and Repeat and that's Emery's attack.

Look at tape the gape between the midfield, RB and the front 3 is as large as the grand canyon.
It wasn't Ramsey that made Iwobi useful at Arsenal. It is that Iwobi receives the ball and is aware where to pass to.
Pepe needs to up his football sense. Right now, he is a dribbling merchant with terrible decision making.

Off the ball runs: non existent
Picking when to dribble or pass: hit or miss
When he rightly decides to pass: weight of pass, big miss.

None of these have anything to do team set-up.
Honestly, I am just salty we paid £72m for this guy. Like I said, Emery-ball when we are in possession in the opponent half, is triangular ball on the wings (the CM on the side, the full-back on the side, and the wing forward on the side). the idea is between 3 of them, they can create a scenario that leads to an easy cross in. If it's not working, recycle the back to the defence and try the other side.
When this man starts dribbling 1 on 3 without looking up especially that far from the 18 yard box, I call that useless hardwork.

In that clip, once he caught up to the ball, and cut back, lay the pass back to Chambers who will pass back to Guen. And re-start the passing all over again. No need for that headless taking on 3 people. Sure, a full-back that can run, dribble and pass better than Chambers will help, but a Wide forward with better decision making will also help.
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

amafolas wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:

It wasn't Ramsey that made Iwobi useful at Arsenal. It is that Iwobi receives the ball and is aware where to pass to.
Pepe needs to up his football sense. Right now, he is a dribbling merchant with terrible decision making.

Honestly, I am just salty we paid £72m for this guy. Like I said, Emery-ball when we are in possession in the opponent half, is triangular ball on the wings (the CM on the side, the full-back on the side, and the wing forward on the side). the idea is between 3 of them, they can create a scenario that leads to an easy cross in. If it's not working, recycle the back to the defence and try the other side.
When this man starts dribbling 1 on 3 without looking up especially that far from the 18 yard box, I call that useless hardwork.

In that clip, once he caught up to the ball, and cut back, lay the pass back to Chambers who will pass back to Guen. And re-start the passing all over again. No need for that headless taking on 3 people. Sure, a full-back that can run, dribble and pass better than Chambers will help, but a Wide forward with better decision making will also help.
Won't argue Pepe over dribbles but again countless times yesterday he lacked outlets.

Elephant in the room few Gooners care to discuss is Dani Cebellos. We all have high hopes for him, he is top talent but thus far....he has been bloody poor. The Ramsey "replacement" has as of yet not lived up to the hype, now like Pepe cohension, chemistry and adaptation to PL are mitigating factors, not a lack of quality.

That said in terms of performance he is a major issue and is being targeted by opposition as weak point in Arsenal midfield. IMO like Pepe in time he will prove his worth but at the moment..meh!!!
Detective Bunk Moreland

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
amafolas wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:

Won't argue Pepe over dribbles but again countless times yesterday he lacked outlets.

Elephant in the room few Gooners care to discuss is Dani Cebellos. We all have high hopes for him, he is top talent but thus far....he has been bloody poor. The Ramsey "replacement" has as of yet not lived up to the hype, now like Pepe cohension, chemistry and adaptation to PL are mitigating factors, not a lack of quality.

That said in terms of performance he is a major issue and is being targeted by opposition as weak point in Arsenal midfield. IMO like Pepe in time he will prove his worth but at the moment..meh!!!
I disagree that Ceballos has been poor. Your poor player is Xhaka
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

Tunisian Gooner wrote: Emery better pray Bellerin stays healthy, overlapping FB badly missed. If Bellerin gets hurt again and Ozil is exiled....Pepe is fooked.
All I know is, that yellow circle would make a good spot for a quiet vacation...
...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. - Phil. 2: 12

...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. - Josh. 24: 15

"You need to grow up and respect the fact that people can disagree with you without you getting personal about it. People have a right to express their opinion and you have no right to try and suppress the rights of others because you do not like or disagree with it." - Waffiman
jdizzy
Egg
Egg

Post by jdizzy »

I know the diamond did not work against Liverpool but it may be the ideal formation to get the best out of Pepe till Lacazette returns. Frees him up to play higher up the pitch, isolating defenders...with hopefully Tierney and Bellerin providing the width.
Niente Ÿ impossibile!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

so assanal are trying every formation out there to justify the waste of money toresstta
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Sleaky72 wrote:Chief Waffiman, I respect ur unique perspective on matters concerning Arsenal and generally agree with ur assertions. But regarding Emery I’ve been categorically clear and I’m sure u might disagree with me but I’ll say it anyway. If he is fired B4 Xmas and Fredo takes over, twill be becuz UV his mad Bromance with Xhak. I know ur a stats guy and will find a way 2 defend em but he will always fail the eye ball/ optics fest. He simply ain’t built 4 this league. I watched Juve/Inter and I clearly see this as a league in which a player of his mould would thrive in. As far as the EPL is concerned he will be the noose around the Emery’s proverbial neck. Now as for PEPE, I’m almost at the point in which I think he should be taken 2 a shrink or counselor. It’s almost there but his struggles are hurting the team. Simple as that.

Emery is at the pt, where I think the Xhaka thing has become personal with him and the fans. It’s a stupid and brainless tactic 2 employ and it might eventually cost him but I see a team that “is” very capable of competing once all the horses are fit and firing.

I know u luv Wenger but frankly I was so tired of his act that I’m just happy there’s a new face in the hot seat. Sorry and I know you hate that perspective but I’d had enough along with so many others .
We are 3rd because we have taken our chances whilst others have been rubbish. But you know it is going to get tougher unless our Coach makes changes.
Don’t u think Arsenal will get better when everyone is fit? Have you actually considered that perspective? If everyone is fit and he keeps tinkering with players who don’t belong I’d be the first one calling for his head. Listen Bruv not calling him the Spanish Jesus, I’m just saying the overreaction from so many is hysterical. It’s like they’re angry and salty that we won and can’t wait for the fall and subsequent “I told you so”. Sorry bt that’s absurd and pathetic for so called Gooners

My point is also that the hysterics are ridiculous because even if u look at a coach as accomplished as Pep, you can see how neutered his teams become once there are injuries 2 key players. And we are talking about one of the most expensive squads in football history talk less of Arsenal. Just saying!
Against Bournemouth, we did our homework, we pressed high and did not give them time to play. We won balls high up the pitch and got into good positions creating opportunities and some chances. But all too often, the forwards were isolated and a system that is supposed to produce fluid football, becomes very stale and rigid.

I don't think Arsenal will get better if everyone is fit because of his current system, I say this with special mention to the midfield. If we are to become better with this system, he has to change that midfield. I will explain why.

I will try my best to avoid the numbers because if I do, it looks like I have an agenda, which is not the case. I have defended Emery here and will continue to do so. However, we cannot hide concerns and I have raised them here many times.

The numbers in terms of key matrix like, shots allowed and shots allowed in your penalty area to the opposition are still a concern. Also, chances created and our shots, plus shot on target are still way below the average of the top teams. I am sure you must have observed, how long it took us to get a shot and a shot on target in that 2nd half. Why do we have these problems and why is he not changing it?

It has taken him time but it looks like he has settled on his preferred midfielders as Ceballos, Xhaka and Guendouzi in a 4-3-3. It was a diamond against Liverpool, then a flat 4-3-3 against Watford in which all 3 were effectively box to box midfielders (which did not work given the midfield personnel) to an initial 4-3-3 set up, which has Guendouzi playing right-sided and mainly behind the ball, but with Ceballos pushing into the 10 position, this movement in position of Ceballos especially makes it a 4-2-3-1.

One major tweak is the role of Pepe. Last season, when we had the ball, Iwobi played deeper of the wide players, whilst Mikh played a more position tucking in between the FB and CD in the zone just outside the penalty box. This season, Saka and Pepe play deeper tucking in the make the 3 with Ceballos, if he stays there, but he hardly does.

If it is 4-3-3, it feels like a 4-2-3-1. Why? Emery has always played the 4-2-3-1 shape out of possession. He used similar system in the Europa last Thursday, this is how Emery likes to play, build up with a double pivot. The man always wants protection behind the ball as well as pressing with a 10, pressing with the number 10 means he cannot play Ozil.

Additionally, the styles of Xhaka and Guendouzi also forces the shape because they both like to play from deep helping with build up play. But the problem comes with Ceballos, he too likes to drop deep and initiate play. Ceballos, does not like to receive the ball between the lines like number 10's relish, he wants the ball deep and across the lines.

This is a problem because he is no number 10. He is willing but also not very effective in doing the dirty work of pressing, however, his limitations in this position nullifies the quick progression of the ball from defence to forwards, e.g. most defence splitting passes between the lines from Guendouzi and Xhaka are not possible. Why? Ceballos is not in the zone or not making himself available to receive the pass because he is always looking to drop back to receive the ball. Bottomline, all 3 CMs are very similar - a major problem.

As we saw last season, Ramsey was the perfect player for this role gave us all the solutions and goals. He is having a great time at Juve. Emery's preference for deeper midfielders for inter alia, their defensive cover negates attacking balance with the players he picks in that midfield. Also, we do not probe through the middle, despite teams looking to cover our preferred wide area of attack, we hardly go through the middle. Instead, you might find Guendouzi and Ceballos in the middle zone just in front of the centre circle, looking to pass it wide.

Our front three are isolated, looking like they are going to die of starvation due to lack of service. Any attacking move of any note tends to happen when Aubamayeng drops deep to link up, but this is not his strength, it is not really Lacazette's either but he is better at it. With Pepe and Saka staying in half wide positions, the only only players to link up with them are the FBs, who are always the widest players giving real width.

Also, at times I wonder if the players understand what movements to make in possession, or is it that the players want to react differently to what has been coached. Whatever it is, too many players tend to end up in one zone, and they lose the ball.

It is not working because of that midfield. The midfield is filled with similar players because the Coach is searching for work rate and creativity. He wants a number 10 that plays asca number 8. But but he had Ramsey and still has Ozil. He does not trust Ozil, Per says Ozil must get himself fit. Every Coach has a right to pick and chose his players, if he does not want Ozil, so be it. I respect the man's right, it is his job and I do not know a thing compared to him.

The midfield is not the right combination of players with different attributes. The midfield is not diligent and athletic enough to cover those runs into the channels that expose us continuously. Many here single out Xhaka, but he does what he does best, just like Ceballos and Guendouzi. We need more athleticism, more pace, we need better runners, greater defensive know how. We need one holding MF and 2 box to box MFs. None of the 3 are box to box MFs.

Against Standard Liege, Emery has found a midfield balance that's better than he has with the Xhaka, Ceballos and Guendouzi. He played a proper 4-3-3 by staggeribg the three in the centre, Ceballos, to the left of the holder Torreira, going to the ball asking for it to make things happen, whilst to the right, Willock pushed up towards the number 10 position with the ball, but stayed up to get in the face of their deep playmaker without ball. Willock also had his duties of covering runs from CM - the proper box to box role, none of Xhaka, Guendouzi and Ceballos can play.

But what I loved about the Torreira, Ceballos and Willock combo was they switched their roles most notably in the last 10-15 mins occasionally. Sometimes Willock dropped deep to receive ball, while Ceballos and Torreira pushed higher on the pitch. This is what 4-3-3 is all about, every coaching manual tells you it is what good 4-3-3 play is all about.

I was impressed with what I witnessed against Liege, albeit limited opposition. I have always had this in mind but my midfield 3 is Guendouzi instead of Ceballos. I know it is hard on Ceballos, but he has been taken out too easily in away games this season, hence my choices. If we are to have a midfield that provides a platform for our front 3 to play, whilst being diligent, athletic and strong enough to defend. We must ditch the 3 of Ceballos, Xhaka and Guendouzi. Emery, will have no choice, he cannot continue to wing it. We we play better opposition, that midfield will be exposed and if he does not change it, he will not get results.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

elerineye wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote: Emery better pray Bellerin stays healthy, overlapping FB badly missed. If Bellerin gets hurt again and Ozil is exiled....Pepe is fooked.
All I know is, that yellow circle would make a good spot for a quiet vacation...
Hahaha. This is a regular occurrence I'm afraid. Ceballos is supposed to be in that hole. But he prefers to drop deep for the ball, he also wants the ball across the lines, not between the lines. We need a proper box to box midfielder with, lungs, athleticism and can play a bit. Ramsey was perfect, remember how he destroyed Jorginho of Chelsea when we beat them in the league. We did not have him in the cup final.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Waffiman wrote:
elerineye wrote:
Hahaha. This is a regular occurrence I'm afraid. Ceballos is supposed to be in that hole. But he prefers to drop deep for the ball, he also wants the ball across the lines, not between the lines. We need a proper box to box midfielder with, lungs, athleticism and can play a bit. Ramsey was perfect, remember how he destroyed Jorginho of Chelsea when we beat them in the league. We did not have him in the cup final.

when I am watching that trio, I see Xhaka as the "lost" one. He can only pass. he can't tackle, dribble, nor run.

Guendo is the one willing to take on #10. I like Ceballos so far, in a new league. I would play Guendo-LT-Ceballos/Willock.
Regarding Emery....if Rambo was a perfect fit for his system, why get rid of him? As indiscipline as Ramsey is, I still prefer him to Xhaka as a team member.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Against Bournemouth, we did our homework, we pressed high and did not give them time to play. We won balls high up the pitch and got into good positions creating opportunities and some chances. But all too often, the forwards were isolated and a system that is supposed to produce fluid football, becomes very stale and rigid.

I don't think Arsenal will get better if everyone is fit because of his current system, I say this with special mention to the midfield. If we are to become better with this system, he has to change that midfield. I will explain why.

I will try my best to avoid the numbers because if I do, it looks like I have an agenda, which is not the case. I have defended Emery here and will continue to do so. However, we cannot hide concerns and I have raised them here many times.

The numbers in terms of key matrix like, shots allowed and shots allowed in your penalty area to the opposition are still a concern. Also, chances created and our shots, plus shot on target are still way below the average of the top teams. I am sure you must have observed, how long it took us to get a shot and a shot on target in that 2nd half. Why do we have these problems and why is he not changing it?

It has taken him time but it looks like he has settled on his preferred midfielders as Ceballos, Xhaka and Guendouzi in a 4-3-3. It was a diamond against Liverpool, then a flat 4-3-3 against Watford in which all 3 were effectively box to box midfielders (which did not work given the midfield personnel) to an initial 4-3-3 set up, which has Guendouzi playing right-sided and mainly behind the ball, but with Ceballos pushing into the 10 position, this movement in position of Ceballos especially makes it a 4-2-3-1.

One major tweak is the role of Pepe. Last season, when we had the ball, Iwobi played deeper of the wide players, whilst Mikh played a more position tucking in between the FB and CD in the zone just outside the penalty box. This season, Saka and Pepe play deeper tucking in the make the 3 with Ceballos, if he stays there, but he hardly does.

If it is 4-3-3, it feels like a 4-2-3-1. Why? Emery has always played the 4-2-3-1 shape out of possession. He used similar system in the Europa last Thursday, this is how Emery likes to play, build up with a double pivot. The man always wants protection behind the ball as well as pressing with a 10, pressing with the number 10 means he cannot play Ozil.

Additionally, the styles of Xhaka and Guendouzi also forces the shape because they both like to play from deep helping with build up play. But the problem comes with Ceballos, he too likes to drop deep and initiate play. Ceballos, does not like to receive the ball between the lines like number 10's relish, he wants the ball deep and across the lines.

This is a problem because he is no number 10. He is willing but also not very effective in doing the dirty work of pressing, however, his limitations in this position nullifies the quick progression of the ball from defence to forwards, e.g. most defence splitting passes between the lines from Guendouzi and Xhaka are not possible. Why? Ceballos is not in the zone or not making himself available to receive the pass because he is always looking to drop back to receive the ball. Bottomline, all 3 CMs are very similar - a major problem.

As we saw last season, Ramsey was the perfect player for this role gave us all the solutions and goals. He is having a great time at Juve. Emery's preference for deeper midfielders for inter alia, their defensive cover negates attacking balance with the players he picks in that midfield. Also, we do not probe through the middle, despite teams looking to cover our preferred wide area of attack, we hardly go through the middle. Instead, you might find Guendouzi and Ceballos in the middle zone just in front of the centre circle, looking to pass it wide.

Our front three are isolated, looking like they are going to die of starvation due to lack of service. Any attacking move of any note tends to happen when Aubamayeng drops deep to link up, but this is not his strength, it is not really Lacazette's either but he is better at it. With Pepe and Saka staying in half wide positions, the only only players to link up with them are the FBs, who are always the widest players giving real width.

Also, at times I wonder if the players understand what movements to make in possession, or is it that the players want to react differently to what has been coached. Whatever it is, too many players tend to end up in one zone, and they lose the ball.

It is not working because of that midfield. The midfield is filled with similar players because the Coach is searching for work rate and creativity. He wants a number 10 that plays asca number 8. But but he had Ramsey and still has Ozil. He does not trust Ozil, Per says Ozil must get himself fit. Every Coach has a right to pick and chose his players, if he does not want Ozil, so be it. I respect the man's right, it is his job and I do not know a thing compared to him.

The midfield is not the right combination of players with different attributes. The midfield is not diligent and athletic enough to cover those runs into the channels that expose us continuously. Many here single out Xhaka, but he does what he does best, just like Ceballos and Guendouzi. We need more athleticism, more pace, we need better runners, greater defensive know how. We need one holding MF and 2 box to box MFs. None of the 3 are box to box MFs.

Against Standard Liege, Emery has found a midfield balance that's better than he has with the Xhaka, Ceballos and Guendouzi. He played a proper 4-3-3 by staggeribg the three in the centre, Ceballos, to the left of the holder Torreira, going to the ball asking for it to make things happen, whilst to the right, Willock pushed up towards the number 10 position with the ball, but stayed up to get in the face of their deep playmaker without ball. Willock also had his duties of covering runs from CM - the proper box to box role, none of Xhaka, Guendouzi and Ceballos can play.

But what I loved about the Torreira, Ceballos and Willock combo was they switched their roles most notably in the last 10-15 mins occasionally. Sometimes Willock dropped deep to receive ball, while Ceballos and Torreira pushed higher on the pitch. This is what 4-3-3 is all about, every coaching manual tells you it is what good 4-3-3 play is all about.

I was impressed with what I witnessed against Liege, albeit limited opposition. I have always had this in mind but my midfield 3 is Guendouzi instead of Ceballos. I know it is hard on Ceballos, but he has been taken out too easily in away games this season, hence my choices. If we are to have a midfield that provides a platform for our front 3 to play, whilst being diligent, athletic and strong enough to defend. We must ditch the 3 of Ceballos, Xhaka and Guendouzi. Emery, will have no choice, he cannot continue to wing it. We we play better opposition, that midfield will be exposed and if he does not change it, he will not get results.
Bro you be my man, but you see why we can't help but disagree. You made valid points though but why bring Ramsey into the discussion. We all remember that for the first 6 months of his reign, Emery hardly played Ramsey. Not only after it was announced that Ramsey is going to Juve that Emery finally decided to be playing him. If he had being playing Ramsey from when he joined you think Arsenal would not have broken the bank to keep Ramsey?

That said, if ever there's a coach who is pressing the self-destruct button, Emery it is. If only he can get over his Neymar induced hangover (an imposibility) and give Ozil a shot. I said it earlier and i am repeating it now, our front 3 of Pepe, Auba and Saka/Laca is built for Ozil. This is a front 3 that requires a player with vision, a player that knows exactly what to do with the ball before receiving it. This is a front 3 that should be played to his strength and blow every team it meets away. But no, not when Emery is having a hangover caused by Neymar.

Emery has a team he can choose which when attacking will play 4-2-3-1 and when defending can turn to a 4-4-2 formation. Why he doesn't see it blows my mind. You mentioned the midfield and the need for a proper DM. We have two candidates he can use in that position. Chambers who played there so well for Fulham and Luiz who had excelled there when he played under Benitez. I will go for Luiz because he has a better passing range than Chambers. And playing Luiz as our DM nullifies the need for Xhaka to start always. He's as good a passer as Xhaka if not better. Now the big question is who partners Luiz.

For me it is either Willock or Torreira. And it is a hard decision but from the way I will play any of them will do.

With all the players currently available for us today not minding the injured this will be my team:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------Leno----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chambers--------------------------------------------------Holding-----------Musti-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Kola

---------------------------------------------------Luiz------------------------------------------Willock----------------------------------------------------------------

Pepe---------------------------------------------------------------------Ozil----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Saka

-------------------------------------------------------------------------Auba---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This will be my starting line-up. I will play Musti now Holding is back.
And this team we devolve into a 4-4-2 formation when we defending as follows:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------Leno---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chambers--------------------------------------------------Holding-----------Musti-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Kola

Pepe-----------------------------------------------Luiz------------------------------------------Willock-----------------------------------------------------------Saka

------------------------------------------------------------------------Ozil--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------Auba---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And when the likes of Bells and the new guy from Celtic are ready they play they can easily slot in. Laca too when he's well to play.
Torreira, Guendo, Martinelli can all be on the standby.

Give me this starting eleven anyday even against Man City and Liverpool and it's game on for me.

Let me say this about Guendo here. Today he will not be a starter in my team. Just like Ramsey of old since i haven't watched Ramsey play for Juve recently, he is too positional unconscious for me to be a starter. You talk about players ending up in the same zone and losing the ball, anytime that happens check and i can bet you Guendo is one of such players. This is all due to youthful exuberance and desire to cover all ground. Don't get me wrong Guendo is Arsenal future captain. But today he's simply not ready for the load Emery in his move to impose his stamp on the team is placing on his young shoulders.

And Ceballos, why on earth did we even sign him on loan given we have no option to buy? When did we become a breeding ground for RM? Enough said on this.

But then like you one told me, it's Emery's call to choose whoever he wants because at the end of the day it is his neck that will be on the chopping box.

Come oo have you noticed how unlike like season Emery is using our youthful players. Hope he's not trying to scam the fans and the board? You know when the season ends and he's called to review his tenure he can lay claim to building a team for tomorrow. Just saying.

And Waffi, have you cast a quick glance at Lampard and Chelsea? What's your opinion?
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

Waffiman wrote:
Sleaky72 wrote:Chief Waffiman, I respect ur unique perspective on matters concerning Arsenal and generally agree with ur assertions. But regarding Emery I’ve been categorically clear and I’m sure u might disagree with me but I’ll say it anyway. If he is fired B4 Xmas and Fredo takes over, twill be becuz UV his mad Bromance with Xhak. I know ur a stats guy and will find a way 2 defend em but he will always fail the eye ball/ optics fest. He simply ain’t built 4 this league. I watched Juve/Inter and I clearly see this as a league in which a player of his mould would thrive in. As far as the EPL is concerned he will be the noose around the Emery’s proverbial neck. Now as for PEPE, I’m almost at the point in which I think he should be taken 2 a shrink or counselor. It’s almost there but his struggles are hurting the team. Simple as that.

Emery is at the pt, where I think the Xhaka thing has become personal with him and the fans. It’s a stupid and brainless tactic 2 employ and it might eventually cost him but I see a team that “is” very capable of competing once all the horses are fit and firing.

I know u luv Wenger but frankly I was so tired of his act that I’m just happy there’s a new face in the hot seat. Sorry and I know you hate that perspective but I’d had enough along with so many others .
We are 3rd because we have taken our chances whilst others have been rubbish. But you know it is going to get tougher unless our Coach makes changes.
Don’t u think Arsenal will get better when everyone is fit? Have you actually considered that perspective? If everyone is fit and he keeps tinkering with players who don’t belong I’d be the first one calling for his head. Listen Bruv not calling him the Spanish Jesus, I’m just saying the overreaction from so many is hysterical. It’s like they’re angry and salty that we won and can’t wait for the fall and subsequent “I told you so”. Sorry bt that’s absurd and pathetic for so called Gooners

My point is also that the hysterics are ridiculous because even if u look at a coach as accomplished as Pep, you can see how neutered his teams become once there are injuries 2 key players. And we are talking about one of the most expensive squads in football history talk less of Arsenal. Just saying!

Chief, men like U are the reason I actually bother with this site. I will return with a proper response. Literally agree with almost everything you’ve written. These R the kind UV discussions that need 2 be had on this forum not childish sniping over nothing. I will return !
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Sleaky72 wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Chief, men like U are the reason I actually bother with this site. I will return with a proper response. Literally agree with almost everything you’ve written. These R the kind UV discussions that need 2 be had on this forum not childish sniping over nothing. I will return !
Waffi is my guy, but his wayo is too much, just like his Uncle Wenger.
The elephant in the room is Granit Xhaka.
AFCON 2019 sweet o