Luis Ocampos: On Osimhen...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Luis Ocampos: On Osimhen...

Post by txj »

Luis Campos: The transfer chief with the Midas touch: Portuguese sporting director has helped unearth over £500m of footballing talent

One of the most wanted men in football may not be the most familiar.

Sporting director Luis Campos has unearthed over £500m worth of footballing talent during his time at Monaco and Lille, and in an exclusive interview with Sky Sports, gives a fascinating insight into his methods.

His CV is quite something, helping unearth Kylian Mbappe, Nicolas Pepe, James Rodriguez, Anthony Martial, Fabinho, Bernardo Silva and Benjamin Mendy.

The 55-year-old has been sporting director at Lille since 2017, helping them return to the Champions League after discovering some of Europe's best talents while at Monaco from 2013.

Here, he talks through the key players he found, how he is determined to see players live - even for a few minutes - and whether he could be tempted out of Lille, having been linked with a number of European clubs over the summer, including Chelsea.

Victor Osimhen

His latest find, 20-year-old Nigerian forward Osimhen, has scored seven in 10 games for Lille, including against Chelsea last week.

"I went to Lagos to see the U17 World Championships. After one match I wanted him. But his price was very expensive for a 17-year-old. I spoke to my CEO. I called him every night saying, 'Please give me this player, he is amazing. In two years he will be one of the best in Europe'.

"In the end the player went to Wolfsburg. I went to Wolfsburg just to see him play. Sometimes he only played for five minutes, sometimes only two. I was crazy for him! Then he had a virus and had five or six months not playing and went to Charleroi in Belgium. Two months later I signed him. So itʼs a nice story. I lost the player but then got him back.

"If all is normal at the end of the season there will be a big move for him because he's like a cat. You know, if you have a cat and give it a ball! Heʼs unbelievable. In the last 20 metres he attacks every ball. Every ball. Like a cat."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... idas-touch
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
niyi
Egg
Egg
Re: Luis Ocampos: On Osimhen...

Post by niyi »

Proud of the boy. He'll be playing at Real or Bayern Munich in 2 years for sure.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Best scout in football.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

txj wrote:Luis Campos: The transfer chief with the Midas touch: Portuguese sporting director has helped unearth over £500m of footballing talent

Sporting director Luis Campos has unearthed over £500m worth of footballing talent during his time at Monaco and Lille, and in an exclusive interview with Sky Sports, gives a fascinating insight into his methods.

His CV is quite something, helping unearth Kylian Mbappe, Nicolas Pepe, James Rodriguez, Anthony Martial, Fabinho, Bernardo Silva and Benjamin Mendy.

The 55-year-old has been sporting director at Lille since 2017, helping them return to the Champions League after discovering some of Europe's best talents while at Monaco from 2013.

Here, he talks through the key players he found, how he is determined to see players live - even for a few minutes - and whether he could be tempted out of Lille, having been linked with a number of European clubs over the summer, including Chelsea.

Victor Osimhen

His latest find, 20-year-old Nigerian forward Osimhen, has scored seven in 10 games for Lille, including against Chelsea last week.

"I went to Lagos to see the U17 World Championships. After one match I wanted him. But his price was very expensive for a 17-year-old. I spoke to my CEO. I called him every night saying, 'Please give me this player, he is amazing. In two years he will be one of the best in Europe'.

"In the end the player went to Wolfsburg. I went to Wolfsburg just to see him play. Sometimes he only played for five minutes, sometimes only two. I was crazy for him! Then he had a virus and had five or six months not playing and went to Charleroi in Belgium. Two months later I signed him. So itʼs a nice story. I lost the player but then got him back.

"If all is normal at the end of the season there will be a big move for him because he's like a cat. You know, if you have a cat and give it a ball! Heʼs unbelievable. In the last 20 metres he attacks every ball. Every ball. Like a cat."

Very apt description.
He reminds me of one of the big cats on the prowl in one of Attenborugh's documentaries.
Funny thing was I didn't want to get carried away during the U17 WC in 2015 because we see how the majority don't make the grade in the adult game. But he was hard to ignore.

And his hunger for goals and victory is unmistakable...
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

I just hope and pray this boy doesn’t end up at a mid table Team in England or on the bench of one of the so called big teams.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Damunk wrote:
txj wrote:Luis Campos: The transfer chief with the Midas touch: Portuguese sporting director has helped unearth over £500m of footballing talent

Victor Osimhen

Very apt description.
He reminds me of one of the big cats on the prowl in one of Attenborugh's documentaries.
Funny thing was I didn't want to get carried away during the U17 WC in 2015 because we see how the majority don't make the grade in the adult game. But he was hard to ignore.

he really grew in confidence as that tournament progressed. I was vastly impressed with his winning goal vs Mali...he already knew where he was going to place the ball before it arrived. The Russians used to call it "knowing where the goal is, and where the goalie will be, without looking". I was sold on that goal, and was confident barring any kind of misfortune, the boy IS a striker.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

If everything goes properly, Osimhen will be playing in the final game of the 2022 WC ...

Wha choo looking at?!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Scipio Africanus wrote:If everything goes properly, Osimhen will be playing in the final game of the 2022 WC ...
Ol boy na wa o, CIV with Drogba, Gervihno, Yaya Toure couldn't even make it out of their group. Having a good striker doesn't mean we will be going far...way too may variables...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

maceo4 wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:If everything goes properly, Osimhen will be playing in the final game of the 2022 WC ...
Ol boy na wa o, CIV with Drogba, Gervihno, Yaya Toure couldn't even make it out of their group. Having a good striker doesn't mean we will be going far...way too may variables...
My fren, please do not mention Choke D' Ivoire in dis thread.

Our biggest problem at the WC has been our blunt attack. If we had a half decent attack, we would have made the knockout rounds in EVERY WC we have been in.

2-2 against South Korea when we needed a win

1-2 against Argie when we needed a draw

etc etc.

Wha choo looking at?!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

Our biggest problem at the WC has been our blunt attack. If we had a half decent attack, we would have made the knockout rounds in EVERY WC we have been in.

etc etc.
There's too many variables you don't even know if we will be at the tournament for starters :rotf: Osimhen for all his club prowess has only one goal for SE and it was a gift PK, we can't start talking about 2022 he might not even be an in form player then.

Funny thing is we had Martins and Yakubu vs South Korea who were scoring upandown like Osimhen at club level. Vs Argie already this season I've seen Osimhen miss similar chances to the one Ighalo missed.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

maceo4 wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

etc etc.
There's too many variables you don't even know if we will be at the tournament for starters :rotf: Osimhen for all his club prowess has only one goal for SE and it was a gift PK, we can't start talking about 2022 he might not even be an in form player then.

Funny thing is we had Martins and Yakubu vs South Korea who were scoring upandown like Osimhen at club level. Vs Argie already this season I've seen Osimhen miss similar chances to the one Ighalo missed.
it didn't take you that long to start your bad belle hating talk, my goodness I cannot stand you sometime... buss it down mace..

how may starts has the bobo had for the SE?
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Dude please shut your detty stinking mouth! A fan can wish his team to be in a final! We are the Super Eagles of Nigeria and we are winners! Nothing wrong in wanting to win! Whether we end up winning or not is not an issue.

I have spoken about this before, but WTFFF is the matter with you people? Everytime we speak about winning, you guys tell us not to speak. We should keep quiet! We should never get excited! Is that how you live your lives? Good grief! What is wrong with being excited or having lofty goals? What is wrong with imagining an outrageously amazing future? Whether you attain it or not is irrelevant. The issue is to have that vision and work towards it.

maceo4 wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

etc etc.

"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Same way he hated Mikel for years and years even when Mikel was a child--16 years old.

Bigpokey24 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

etc etc.

it didn't take you that long to start your bad belle hating talk, my goodness I cannot stand you sometime... buss it down mace..

how may starts has the bobo had for the SE?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

danfo driver wrote:Dude please shut your detty stinking mouth! A fan can wish his team to be in a final! We are the Super Eagles of Nigeria and we are winners! Nothing wrong in wanting to win! Whether we end up winning or not is not an issue.

I have spoken about this before, but WTFFF is the matter with you people? Everytime we speak about winning, you guys tell us not to speak. We should keep quiet! We should never get excited! Is that how you live your lives? Good grief! What is wrong with being excited or having lofty goals? What is wrong with imagining an outrageously amazing future? Whether you attain it or not is irrelevant. The issue is to have that vision and work towards it.

maceo4 wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

etc etc.

:clap: kpom, it's shocking how people like mace lives in negativity and bad thoughts only...the sad part is bobo just came back from Aruba to clear his head, but that didn't even work
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:Dude please shut your detty stinking mouth! A fan can wish his team to be in a final! We are the Super Eagles of Nigeria and we are winners! Nothing wrong in wanting to win! Whether we end up winning or not is not an issue.

maceo4 wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

etc etc.

:clap: kpom, it's shocking how people like mace lives in negativity and bad thoughts only...the sad part is bobo just came back from Aruba to clear his head, but that didn't even work
Keep clapping, since after all of danfo's big mouth talk falls flat on its face and Nigeria doesn't do all the improbable BS he was talking about he will just disappear from the forum for a couple a months then either change his name or slowly start testing the water to see if he can show face again. Guy is a certified clown :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

maceo4 wrote:
Keep clapping, since after all of danfo's big mouth talk falls flat on its face and Nigeria doesn't do all the improbable BS he was talking about he will just disappear from the forum for a couple a months then either change his name or slowly start testing the water to see if he can show face again. Guy is a certified clown :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Blah blah blah...You are so incoherent, you sound like a moron. I have been supporting Nigeria since I was born and we have never won the world cup. But you want me to keep my mouth shut and not dream of it or speak about the possibility? How miserable must you be in life? My present situation was once my dream, as a child. Today, I am living it.

You can take my advise or leave it. What a shame. Continue to live a life of "fake modesty" and refuse to wish for greatness. dunce.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:I just hope and pray this boy doesn’t end up at a mid table Team in England or on the bench of one of the so called big teams.
He started at Lille on a high he didn’t just join City when they were ready to sack coaches so he’ll be able to prove himself and be confident in his ability!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Damunk wrote:

Victor Osimhen

Very apt description.

You have my respect. I hope he stays health. I hope he does much much better than Drogber.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Whoever oversaw his sub-par utilization at Wolfsburg should be fired
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:I just hope and pray this boy doesn’t end up at a mid table Team in England or on the bench of one of the so called big teams.
He started at Lille on a high he didn’t just join City when they were ready to sack coaches so he’ll be able to prove himself and be confident in his ability!

In England, struggling teams play kick and run... I'm not sure how he'll fit there considering the fact that he started as a young player in a struggling German team and he didn't stand out there. Playing at Chaleroi improved his confidence and his game.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

deanotito wrote:Whoever oversaw his sub-par utilization at Wolfsburg should be fired
How about the one that oversaw his sub-par utilization 3 months ago? Giving him 45 mins of football in 7 matches..

In Wolfsburg, you could argue he was an 18 year old getting a first taste of European football
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

niyi wrote:
deanotito wrote:Whoever oversaw his sub-par utilization at Wolfsburg should be fired
How about the one that oversaw his sub-par utilization 3 months ago? Giving him 45 mins of football in 7 matches..

In Wolfsburg, you could argue he was an 18 year old getting a first taste of European football

Well, you have a point - even though I like Rohr. I could possibly understand the decision to have played ighalo ahead of him (experience, pedigree, hold-up play), but playing Onuachu ahead of Osimhen is pretty close to malpractice.

But Wolfsburg....you have such a guy for a whole year...cup games, league games, league cup games, multiple training sessions....and in ALL that time, you were blind to this???? If I owned that club, heads will roll for sure.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

niyi wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: that one should be beaten and naked at balogun market