The Arsenal FC - Related News and Development for 2019/2020

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The Arsenal FC - Related News and Development for 2019/2

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Let me get this straight ..
1. Camp 1 thinks its the manager
2. Camp 2 thinks its not the manager but his formations he has been deploying
3. Camp 3 thinks its the players - some in this camp are bold to call out Xhaka , Cabellos and Pepe
4. Camp 4 thinks its the missing players - Namely Bells, Thierney and Lacaboom
5. Camp 5 have no opinion and prefer to sit on the fence
6. Camp 6 Thinks its international week and we should focus on our national team ... :rotf: :rotf:

Na joke i dey joke o ...make una no bust blood veins for Arsenal wahala o, the biys who are not called up by their national teams are out jollofing and we are here sweating..

me thinks its all the camps that are correct sha ..including the siddonlook camp
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

Gnabry story put to rest by AW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Siddonlook11 wrote:Let me get this straight ..
1. Camp 1 thinks its the manager
2. Camp 2 thinks its not the manager but his formations he has been deploying
3. Camp 3 thinks its the players - some in this camp are bold to call out Xhaka , Cabellos and Pepe
4. Camp 4 thinks its the missing players - Namely Bells, Thierney and Lacaboom
5. Camp 5 have no opinion and prefer to sit on the fence
6. Camp 6 Thinks its international week and we should focus on our national team ... :rotf: :rotf:

Na joke i dey joke o ...make una no bust blood veins for Arsenal wahala o, the biys who are not called up by their national teams are out jollofing and we are here sweating..

me thinks its all the camps that are correct sha ..including the siddonlook camp
So siddonlook camp is technical camp 5?
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Sleaky72 wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Sleaky72 wrote:Chief Waffiman, I respect ur unique perspective on matters concerning Arsenal and generally agree with ur assertions. But regarding Emery I’ve been categorically clear and I’m sure u might disagree with me but I’ll say it anyway. If he is fired B4 Xmas and Fredo takes over, twill be becuz UV his mad Bromance with Xhak. I know ur a stats guy and will find a way 2 defend em but he will always fail the eye ball/ optics fest. He simply ain’t built 4 this league. I watched Juve/Inter and I clearly see this as a league in which a player of his mould would thrive in. As far as the EPL is concerned he will be the noose around the Emery’s proverbial neck. Now as for PEPE, I’m almost at the point in which I think he should be taken 2 a shrink or counselor. It’s almost there but his struggles are hurting the team. Simple as that.

Emery is at the pt, where I think the Xhaka thing has become personal with him and the fans. It’s a stupid and brainless tactic 2 employ and it might eventually cost him but I see a team that “is” very capable of competing once all the horses are fit and firing.

I know u luv Wenger but frankly I was so tired of his act that I’m just happy there’s a new face in the hot seat. Sorry and I know you hate that perspective but I’d had enough along with so many others .
We are 3rd because we have taken our chances whilst others have been rubbish. But you know it is going to get tougher unless our Coach makes changes.
Don’t u think Arsenal will get better when everyone is fit? Have you actually considered that perspective? If everyone is fit and he keeps tinkering with players who don’t belong I’d be the first one calling for his head. Listen Bruv not calling him the Spanish Jesus, I’m just saying the overreaction from so many is hysterical. It’s like they’re angry and salty that we won and can’t wait for the fall and subsequent “I told you so”. Sorry bt that’s absurd and pathetic for so called Gooners

My point is also that the hysterics are ridiculous because even if u look at a coach as accomplished as Pep, you can see how neutered his teams become once there are injuries 2 key players. And we are talking about one of the most expensive squads in football history talk less of Arsenal. Just saying!
Against Bournemouth, we did our homework, we pressed high and did not give them time to play. We won balls high up the pitch and got into good positions creating opportunities and some chances. But all too often, the forwards were isolated and a system that is supposed to produce fluid football, becomes very stale and rigid.

I don't think Arsenal will get better if everyone is fit because of his current system, I say this with special mention to the midfield. If we are to become better with this system, he has to change that midfield. I will explain why.

I will try my best to avoid the numbers because if I do, it looks like I have an agenda, which is not the case. I have defended Emery here and will continue to do so. However, we cannot hide concerns and I have raised them here many times.

The numbers in terms of key matrix like, shots allowed and shots allowed in your penalty area to the opposition are still a concern. Also, chances created and our shots, plus shot on target are still way below the average of the top teams. I am sure you must have observed, how long it took us to get a shot and a shot on target in that 2nd half. Why do we have these problems and why is he not changing it?

It has taken him time but it looks like he has settled on his preferred midfielders as Ceballos, Xhaka and Guendouzi in a 4-3-3. It was a diamond against Liverpool, then a flat 4-3-3 against Watford in which all 3 were effectively box to box midfielders (which did not work given the midfield personnel) to an initial 4-3-3 set up, which has Guendouzi playing right-sided and mainly behind the ball, but with Ceballos pushing into the 10 position, this movement in position of Ceballos especially makes it a 4-2-3-1.

One major tweak is the role of Pepe. Last season, when we had the ball, Iwobi played deeper of the wide players, whilst Mikh played a more position tucking in between the FB and CD in the zone just outside the penalty box. This season, Saka and Pepe play deeper tucking in the make the 3 with Ceballos, if he stays there, but he hardly does.

If it is 4-3-3, it feels like a 4-2-3-1. Why? Emery has always played the 4-2-3-1 shape out of possession. He used similar system in the Europa last Thursday, this is how Emery likes to play, build up with a double pivot. The man always wants protection behind the ball as well as pressing with a 10, pressing with the number 10 means he cannot play Ozil.

Additionally, the styles of Xhaka and Guendouzi also forces the shape because they both like to play from deep helping with build up play. But the problem comes with Ceballos, he too likes to drop deep and initiate play. Ceballos, does not like to receive the ball between the lines like number 10's relish, he wants the ball deep and across the lines.

This is a problem because he is no number 10. He is willing but also not very effective in doing the dirty work of pressing, however, his limitations in this position nullifies the quick progression of the ball from defence to forwards, e.g. most defence splitting passes between the lines from Guendouzi and Xhaka are not possible. Why? Ceballos is not in the zone or not making himself available to receive the pass because he is always looking to drop back to receive the ball. Bottomline, all 3 CMs are very similar - a major problem.

As we saw last season, Ramsey was the perfect player for this role gave us all the solutions and goals. He is having a great time at Juve. Emery's preference for deeper midfielders for inter alia, their defensive cover negates attacking balance with the players he picks in that midfield. Also, we do not probe through the middle, despite teams looking to cover our preferred wide area of attack, we hardly go through the middle. Instead, you might find Guendouzi and Ceballos in the middle zone just in front of the centre circle, looking to pass it wide.

Our front three are isolated, looking like they are going to die of starvation due to lack of service. Any attacking move of any note tends to happen when Aubamayeng drops deep to link up, but this is not his strength, it is not really Lacazette's either but he is better at it. With Pepe and Saka staying in half wide positions, the only only players to link up with them are the FBs, who are always the widest players giving real width.

Also, at times I wonder if the players understand what movements to make in possession, or is it that the players want to react differently to what has been coached. Whatever it is, too many players tend to end up in one zone, and they lose the ball.

It is not working because of that midfield. The midfield is filled with similar players because the Coach is searching for work rate and creativity. He wants a number 10 that plays asca number 8. But but he had Ramsey and still has Ozil. He does not trust Ozil, Per says Ozil must get himself fit. Every Coach has a right to pick and chose his players, if he does not want Ozil, so be it. I respect the man's right, it is his job and I do not know a thing compared to him.

The midfield is not the right combination of players with different attributes. The midfield is not diligent and athletic enough to cover those runs into the channels that expose us continuously. Many here single out Xhaka, but he does what he does best, just like Ceballos and Guendouzi. We need more athleticism, more pace, we need better runners, greater defensive know how. We need one holding MF and 2 box to box MFs. None of the 3 are box to box MFs.

Against Standard Liege, Emery has found a midfield balance that's better than he has with the Xhaka, Ceballos and Guendouzi. He played a proper 4-3-3 by staggeribg the three in the centre, Ceballos, to the left of the holder Torreira, going to the ball asking for it to make things happen, whilst to the right, Willock pushed up towards the number 10 position with the ball, but stayed up to get in the face of their deep playmaker without ball. Willock also had his duties of covering runs from CM - the proper box to box role, none of Xhaka, Guendouzi and Ceballos can play.

But what I loved about the Torreira, Ceballos and Willock combo was they switched their roles most notably in the last 10-15 mins occasionally. Sometimes Willock dropped deep to receive ball, while Ceballos and Torreira pushed higher on the pitch. This is what 4-3-3 is all about, every coaching manual tells you it is what good 4-3-3 play is all about.

I was impressed with what I witnessed against Liege, albeit limited opposition. I have always had this in mind but my midfield 3 is Guendouzi instead of Ceballos. I know it is hard on Ceballos, but he has been taken out too easily in away games this season, hence my choices. If we are to have a midfield that provides a platform for our front 3 to play, whilst being diligent, athletic and strong enough to defend. We must ditch the 3 of Ceballos, Xhaka and Guendouzi. Emery, will have no choice, he cannot continue to wing it. We we play better opposition, that midfield will be exposed and if he does not change it, he will not get results.
Chief, men like U are the reason I actually bother with this site. I will return with a proper response. Literally agree with almost everything you’ve written. These R the kind UV discussions that need 2 be had on this forum not childish sniping over nothing. I will return !
Waffi is my guy, but his wayo is too much, just like his Uncle Wenger.
The elephant in the room is Granit Xhaka.
But Chief, I stated my midfield as Guendouzi, Torreira and Willock. I concluded that we need have a midfield that provides a platform for our front 3 to play, whilst being diligent, athletic and strong enough to defend.

For me, our problem is not about one midfielder of the 3, it is about 3 similar type players in midfield and having 2 of them is one too many. My choice of the 3 in the current system Emery is playing is Guendouzi.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

azuka wrote:
Against Bournemouth, we did our homework, we pressed high and did not give them time to play. We won balls high up the pitch and got into good positions creating opportunities and some chances. But all too often, the forwards were isolated and a system that is supposed to produce fluid football, becomes very stale and rigid.

I don't think Arsenal will get better if everyone is fit because of his current system, I say this with special mention to the midfield. If we are to become better with this system, he has to change that midfield. I will explain why.

I will try my best to avoid the numbers because if I do, it looks like I have an agenda, which is not the case. I have defended Emery here and will continue to do so. However, we cannot hide concerns and I have raised them here many times.

The numbers in terms of key matrix like, shots allowed and shots allowed in your penalty area to the opposition are still a concern. Also, chances created and our shots, plus shot on target are still way below the average of the top teams. I am sure you must have observed, how long it took us to get a shot and a shot on target in that 2nd half. Why do we have these problems and why is he not changing it?

It has taken him time but it looks like he has settled on his preferred midfielders as Ceballos, Xhaka and Guendouzi in a 4-3-3. It was a diamond against Liverpool, then a flat 4-3-3 against Watford in which all 3 were effectively box to box midfielders (which did not work given the midfield personnel) to an initial 4-3-3 set up, which has Guendouzi playing right-sided and mainly behind the ball, but with Ceballos pushing into the 10 position, this movement in position of Ceballos especially makes it a 4-2-3-1.

One major tweak is the role of Pepe. Last season, when we had the ball, Iwobi played deeper of the wide players, whilst Mikh played a more position tucking in between the FB and CD in the zone just outside the penalty box. This season, Saka and Pepe play deeper tucking in the make the 3 with Ceballos, if he stays there, but he hardly does.

If it is 4-3-3, it feels like a 4-2-3-1. Why? Emery has always played the 4-2-3-1 shape out of possession. He used similar system in the Europa last Thursday, this is how Emery likes to play, build up with a double pivot. The man always wants protection behind the ball as well as pressing with a 10, pressing with the number 10 means he cannot play Ozil.

Additionally, the styles of Xhaka and Guendouzi also forces the shape because they both like to play from deep helping with build up play. But the problem comes with Ceballos, he too likes to drop deep and initiate play. Ceballos, does not like to receive the ball between the lines like number 10's relish, he wants the ball deep and across the lines.

This is a problem because he is no number 10. He is willing but also not very effective in doing the dirty work of pressing, however, his limitations in this position nullifies the quick progression of the ball from defence to forwards, e.g. most defence splitting passes between the lines from Guendouzi and Xhaka are not possible. Why? Ceballos is not in the zone or not making himself available to receive the pass because he is always looking to drop back to receive the ball. Bottomline, all 3 CMs are very similar - a major problem.

As we saw last season, Ramsey was the perfect player for this role gave us all the solutions and goals. He is having a great time at Juve. Emery's preference for deeper midfielders for inter alia, their defensive cover negates attacking balance with the players he picks in that midfield. Also, we do not probe through the middle, despite teams looking to cover our preferred wide area of attack, we hardly go through the middle. Instead, you might find Guendouzi and Ceballos in the middle zone just in front of the centre circle, looking to pass it wide.

Our front three are isolated, looking like they are going to die of starvation due to lack of service. Any attacking move of any note tends to happen when Aubamayeng drops deep to link up, but this is not his strength, it is not really Lacazette's either but he is better at it. With Pepe and Saka staying in half wide positions, the only only players to link up with them are the FBs, who are always the widest players giving real width.

Also, at times I wonder if the players understand what movements to make in possession, or is it that the players want to react differently to what has been coached. Whatever it is, too many players tend to end up in one zone, and they lose the ball.

It is not working because of that midfield. The midfield is filled with similar players because the Coach is searching for work rate and creativity. He wants a number 10 that plays asca number 8. But but he had Ramsey and still has Ozil. He does not trust Ozil, Per says Ozil must get himself fit. Every Coach has a right to pick and chose his players, if he does not want Ozil, so be it. I respect the man's right, it is his job and I do not know a thing compared to him.

The midfield is not the right combination of players with different attributes. The midfield is not diligent and athletic enough to cover those runs into the channels that expose us continuously. Many here single out Xhaka, but he does what he does best, just like Ceballos and Guendouzi. We need more athleticism, more pace, we need better runners, greater defensive know how. We need one holding MF and 2 box to box MFs. None of the 3 are box to box MFs.

Against Standard Liege, Emery has found a midfield balance that's better than he has with the Xhaka, Ceballos and Guendouzi. He played a proper 4-3-3 by staggeribg the three in the centre, Ceballos, to the left of the holder Torreira, going to the ball asking for it to make things happen, whilst to the right, Willock pushed up towards the number 10 position with the ball, but stayed up to get in the face of their deep playmaker without ball. Willock also had his duties of covering runs from CM - the proper box to box role, none of Xhaka, Guendouzi and Ceballos can play.

But what I loved about the Torreira, Ceballos and Willock combo was they switched their roles most notably in the last 10-15 mins occasionally. Sometimes Willock dropped deep to receive ball, while Ceballos and Torreira pushed higher on the pitch. This is what 4-3-3 is all about, every coaching manual tells you it is what good 4-3-3 play is all about.

I was impressed with what I witnessed against Liege, albeit limited opposition. I have always had this in mind but my midfield 3 is Guendouzi instead of Ceballos. I know it is hard on Ceballos, but he has been taken out too easily in away games this season, hence my choices. If we are to have a midfield that provides a platform for our front 3 to play, whilst being diligent, athletic and strong enough to defend. We must ditch the 3 of Ceballos, Xhaka and Guendouzi. Emery, will have no choice, he cannot continue to wing it. We we play better opposition, that midfield will be exposed and if he does not change it, he will not get results.
Bro you be my man, but you see why we can't help but disagree. You made valid points though but why bring Ramsey into the discussion. We all remember that for the first 6 months of his reign, Emery hardly played Ramsey. Not only after it was announced that Ramsey is going to Juve that Emery finally decided to be playing him. If he had being playing Ramsey from when he joined you think Arsenal would not have broken the bank to keep Ramsey?

That said, if ever there's a coach who is pressing the self-destruct button, Emery it is. If only he can get over his Neymar induced hangover (an imposibility) and give Ozil a shot. I said it earlier and i am repeating it now, our front 3 of Pepe, Auba and Saka/Laca is built for Ozil. This is a front 3 that requires a player with vision, a player that knows exactly what to do with the ball before receiving it. This is a front 3 that should be played to his strength and blow every team it meets away. But no, not when Emery is having a hangover caused by Neymar.

Emery has a team he can choose which when attacking will play 4-2-3-1 and when defending can turn to a 4-4-2 formation. Why he doesn't see it blows my mind. You mentioned the midfield and the need for a proper DM. We have two candidates he can use in that position. Chambers who played there so well for Fulham and Luiz who had excelled there when he played under Benitez. I will go for Luiz because he has a better passing range than Chambers. And playing Luiz as our DM nullifies the need for Xhaka to start always. He's as good a passer as Xhaka if not better. Now the big question is who partners Luiz.

For me it is either Willock or Torreira. And it is a hard decision but from the way I will play any of them will do.

With all the players currently available for us today not minding the injured this will be my team:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------Leno----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chambers--------------------------------------------------Holding-----------Musti-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Kola

---------------------------------------------------Luiz------------------------------------------Willock----------------------------------------------------------------

Pepe---------------------------------------------------------------------Ozil----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Saka

-------------------------------------------------------------------------Auba---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This will be my starting line-up. I will play Musti now Holding is back.
And this team we devolve into a 4-4-2 formation when we defending as follows:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------Leno---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chambers--------------------------------------------------Holding-----------Musti-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Kola

Pepe-----------------------------------------------Luiz------------------------------------------Willock-----------------------------------------------------------Saka

------------------------------------------------------------------------Ozil--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------Auba---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And when the likes of Bells and the new guy from Celtic are ready they play they can easily slot in. Laca too when he's well to play.
Torreira, Guendo, Martinelli can all be on the standby.

Give me this starting eleven anyday even against Man City and Liverpool and it's game on for me.

Let me say this about Guendo here. Today he will not be a starter in my team. Just like Ramsey of old since i haven't watched Ramsey play for Juve recently, he is too positional unconscious for me to be a starter. You talk about players ending up in the same zone and losing the ball, anytime that happens check and i can bet you Guendo is one of such players. This is all due to youthful exuberance and desire to cover all ground. Don't get me wrong Guendo is Arsenal future captain. But today he's simply not ready for the load Emery in his move to impose his stamp on the team is placing on his young shoulders.

And Ceballos, why on earth did we even sign him on loan given we have no option to buy? When did we become a breeding ground for RM? Enough said on this.

But then like you one told me, it's Emery's call to choose whoever he wants because at the end of the day it is his neck that will be on the chopping box.

Come oo have you noticed how unlike like season Emery is using our youthful players. Hope he's not trying to scam the fans and the board? You know when the season ends and he's called to review his tenure he can lay claim to building a team for tomorrow. Just saying.

And Waffi, have you cast a quick glance at Lampard and Chelsea? What's your opinion?
Bros, I like this your write up and I must find time to respond accordingly. Abeg give me time. I dey come. I will edit this post to continue.

On Ramsey. I cannot disagree with any word you've written. It is arguable that if he had played Ramsey in more games, we will be in the CL.

On Ozil, I agree that any combination of our forwards in a 4-2-3-1 system with Ozil is the best way to maximise the talents of our forwards and make us a far better attacking team. My only guess as to why he is not including Ozil is he mistrust the player.

From what Per has said in his book, there is also an issue of work rate, he suggests Ozil's work rate and willingness to help put his team mates in the defensive side of the game leaves a lot to be desired and can be a problem for the team. Whatever his reasons, I believe Emery is missing a trick cos it is up to him to get his player to contribute.

Reading Emery's book and looking at how he has set up his teams over the years, he has always preferred his number 10 to be more like a number 8. His philosophy does not have room for a player like Ozil, and the way he sets up his teams, will never maximise Ozil's immense talents. This is why I do not even bother including Ozil in my analysis of Emery teams going forward.

With these group of players, if I were the coach, I will pick a team with Holding, I will decide between Mustafi and Sokratis to partner him. My choice will be based on Mustafi's mental state, but I am fully aware that Arsenal's defense under Emery conceded the least goals and played out best from deep with both players at CD. Full Backs are sorted if fit.

Right now Chambers is showing what an intelligent footballer he is at RB. He has been incredible and to be honest, I will not hesitate to play him as one of the Interiors (double pivot) with Guendouzi as one option. Chambers is diligent and athletic enough to cover the channels, which are even more demanding in a 4-2-3-1 than 4-4-3 system. Your choice of Willock is solid but Willock's inexperience is a concern especially with Ozil who might shriek his defensive duties occasionally. However playing lower opposition with Willock will offer me no concerns. But in a midfield with Ozil in a 4-2-3-1 system, my choices will come from two of Torreira, Luiz and Chambers. I chose Guendouzi if he plays in the no. 10 role.

Wenger's youth team legacy is like Chelsea's. Only that Arsenal's is much younger. Emery must now show he can develop and work with these players, if not, the Board will not be pleased. They have invested a lot in the youth project and they want results. It is more like him losing his job if he does not play the youth players.

As for Lampard, yes I am impressed with his work. He is effectively building the next Chelsea, I hope he gets the opportunity to complete the project.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:Gnabry story put to rest by AW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

So Bayern did this and we did not report those fools?
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Bros, I like this your write up and I must find time to respond accordingly. Abeg give me time. I dey come. I will edit this post to continue.

On Ramsey. I cannot disagree with any word you've written. It is arguable that if he had played Ramsey in more games, we will be in the CL.

On Ozil, I agree that any combination of our forwards in a 4-2-3-1 system with Ozil is the best way to maximise the talents of our forwards and make us a far better attacking team. My only guess as to why he is not including Ozil is he mistrust the player.

From what Per has said in his book, there is also an issue of work rate, he suggests Ozil's work rate and willingness to help put his team mates in the defensive side of the game leaves a lot to be desired and can be a problem for the team. Whatever his reasons, I believe Emery is missing a trick cos it is up to him to get his player to contribute.

Reading Emery's book and looking at how he has set up his teams over the years, he has always preferred his number 10 to be more like a number 8. His philosophy does not have room for a player like Ozil, and the way he sets up his teams, will never maximise Ozil's immense talents. This is why I do not even bother including Ozil in my analysis of Emery teams going forward.
What Emery says in a book and what we seeing now with Arsenal are 2 different things. For heaven sake it's being over 15 months? What exactly has been his impact on the team. What has been his philosophy on the team? There's nothing in his work so far that gives me hope. Honestly talking about Emery is tiring.

Look on Ozil, everybody can't be a Ramsey. Like someone once noted, you can't buy a ferrarri and expect it to perform as a Ford F10. But with current squad we have, especially the front 3 out of 4, starting a Ozil with them either in a 4-2-3-1 or in a 4-4-2 formation is a no brainer.

With these group of players, if I were the coach, I will pick a team with Holding, I will decide between Mustafi and Sokratis to partner him. My choice will be based on Mustafi's mental state, but I am fully aware that Arsenal's defense under Emery conceded the least goals and played out best from deep with both players at CD. Full Backs are sorted if fit.

There's no better partner for Holding than Mustafi. Give the 2 of them a run of games. The next closest best partner to Holding is Chambers.
Right now Chambers is showing what an intelligent footballer he is at RB. He has been incredible and to be honest, I will not hesitate to play him as one of the Interiors (double pivot) with Guendouzi as one option. Chambers is diligent and athletic enough to cover the channels, which are even more demanding in a 4-2-3-1 than 4-4-3 system. Your choice of Willock is solid but Willock's inexperience is a concern especially with Ozil who might shriek his defensive duties occasionally. However playing lower opposition with Willock will offer me no concerns. But in a midfield with Ozil in a 4-2-3-1 system, my choices will come from two of Torreira, Luiz and Chambers. I chose Guendouzi if he plays in the no. 10 role.
In my opinion the choice of a DM for this team is between Chambers and Luiz. I go for Luiz because of his better passing range. I see your point on Willock and inexperience. But he wont gain it seating on the bench. He's the future of our midfield. Another PV in the making bar the physical attributes. Torreira will do well partnering Luiz in any of my formation above.
Wenger's youth team legacy is like Chelsea's. Only that Arsenal's is much younger. Emery must now show he can develop and work with these players, if not, the Board will not be pleased. They have invested a lot in the youth project and they want results. It is more like him losing his job if he does not play the youth players.

As for Lampard, yes I am impressed with his work. He is effectively building the next Chelsea, I hope he gets the opportunity to complete the project.
My reference to Lampard and Chelsea is how easily one can see the footprint of Lampard in this new Chelsea team. Even when they are losing the team stay true to his philosophy. Lampard and Chelsea play is a good lesson for those who wonder why some of us the "anti-Emery mob" criticize him. In just 3 months or so on the throne anyone watching Chelsea play can see this is all about Lampard. I shudder to wonder how that team will shape up next season when transfer ban is lifted. As we all know Chelsea owner has bottomless pocket when it comes to buying players.
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

kajifu wrote:

So Bayern did this and we did not report those fools?

In the wise words of Denzel Washington from Training Day....

Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

azuka wrote:

What Emery says in a book and what we seeing now with Arsenal are 2 different things. For heaven sake it's being over 15 months? What exactly has been his impact on the team. What has been his philosophy on the team? There's nothing in his work so far that gives me hope. Honestly talking about Emery is tiring.

Look on Ozil, everybody can't be a Ramsey. Like someone once noted, you can't buy a ferrarri and expect it to perform as a Ford F10. But with current squad we have, especially the front 3 out of 4, starting a Ozil with them either in a 4-2-3-1 or in a 4-4-2 formation is a no brainer.

There's no better partner for Holding than Mustafi. Give the 2 of them a run of games. The next closest best partner to Holding is Chambers.
In my opinion the choice of a DM for this team is between Chambers and Luiz. I go for Luiz because of his better passing range. I see your point on Willock and inexperience. But he wont gain it seating on the bench. He's the future of our midfield. Another PV in the making bar the physical attributes. Torreira will do well partnering Luiz in any of my formation above.

My reference to Lampard and Chelsea is how easily one can see the footprint of Lampard in this new Chelsea team. Even when they are losing the team stay true to his philosophy. Lampard and Chelsea play is a good lesson for those who wonder why some of us the "anti-Emery mob" criticize him. In just 3 months or so on the throne anyone watching Chelsea play can see this is all about Lampard. I shudder to wonder how that team will shape up next season when transfer ban is lifted. As we all know Chelsea owner has bottomless pocket when it comes to buying players.
Let hi experiment with Xhaka @ 10 if he must play him, and he won't play Ozil
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Ahh Xhaka as 10 ke ? Hmm wey coach to wax lyrical on the outcome of the experiment o !!

Xhaka thats turns like a 24 wheeler ? ok o

...Socrates
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Siddonlook11 wrote:Ahh Xhaka as 10 ke ? Hmm wey coach to wax lyrical on the outcome of the experiment o !!

Xhaka thats turns like a 24 wheeler ? ok o
Anywhere further from the box where he can do the least damage.

His decent passing could have a huge positive impact on the frontline.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

No method we wish the gaffer employs necessarily works but one can keep the faith if you see things along those lines. Sarri's hiring of Zola to work with him was genius but that coach's failure mainly came from his stubbornness. I don't know that Freddie speaks Spanish or he buys into what is a structure less style of playing.
I see Emery's greatest successes as having happened in his home country. He's really had superior budgets in Russia, France & now Blighty & really failed to pull up trees.
In France, i thought & still believe with the players available to them - Leonardo Jardim did a far better job & excited Europe while doing so.
The Russian period with Spartak is often ignored but i truly believe it ought to be studied more for this gaffer doesn't look like one willing to make radical changes to how he does things.
--------------------------
https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/em ... at-spartak

Emery regrets failure to bond at Spartak - 28 Nov, 2012

“For me, as for Spartak, one obstacle has been communication,” Emery said on his website Tuesday.
“A good connection is very important for the transfer of idea, to map out how to work and how to play, feelings and emotions.....Karpin, who doubles as Spartak’s general director and appointed Emery, suggested the Spaniard had fallen out with key players

----------------------------------------------
I recently watched Pep's post match conf after their home loss to Wolves(i think it was) - a lot of the points he dealt with, Emery ignores at his conferences - Pep obviously had spoken out about goal chances afforded opponents even when they were winning - he saw bad habits & made noises about them.
On his weak backline due to injuries, he called out the defending in front - Unai must fix our engine room to move this team forward, but i struggle to believe he knows how to.

P/S:
Congratulations to Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who has been named as the Premier League Player of the Month!
If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from,'' ""To put players in my team who are not good enough will not strengthen the England team, and would weaken the Arsenal team.''The only thing I can say is that whenever England do not win it is always my fault,even when I am not at the game".Wenger said.
bk-one
Egg
Egg

Post by bk-one »

tolahs wrote:No method we wish the gaffer employs necessarily works but one can keep the faith if you see things along those lines. Sarri's hiring of Zola to work with him was genius but that coach's failure mainly came from his stubbornness. I don't know that Freddie speaks Spanish or he buys into what is a structure less style of playing.
I see Emery's greatest successes as having happened in his home country. He's really had superior budgets in Russia, France & now Blighty & really failed to pull up trees.
In France, i thought & still believe with the players available to them - Leonardo Jardim did a far better job & excited Europe while doing so.
The Russian period with Spartak is often ignored but i truly believe it ought to be studied more for this gaffer doesn't look like one willing to make radical changes to how he does things.

“For me, as for Spartak, one obstacle has been communication,” Emery said on his website Tuesday.
“A good connection is very important for the transfer of idea, to map out how to work and how to play, feelings and emotions.....Karpin, who doubles as Spartak’s general director and appointed Emery, suggested the Spaniard had fallen out with key players

I recently watched Pep's post match conf after their home loss to Wolves(i think it was) - a lot of the points he dealt with, Emery ignores at his conferences - Pep obviously had spoken out about goal chances afforded opponents even when they were winning - he saw bad habits & made noises about them.
On his weak backline due to injuries, he called out the defending in front - Unai must fix our engine room to move this team forward, but i struggle to believe he knows how to.

P/S:
Congratulations to Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who has been named as the Premier League Player of the Month!
There seems to be a disconnect between what he wants to do and what he is actually doing as a manager.......more like a western schooled african who is constantly bashing anything african but after contracting an std instead of seeking treatment, he is starting to tell people he has been bewitched.

You dont have to be the second coming of Dale Carnigie to know that no matter how good of ideas you have if you dont know how to transmit them to others....they are good as none existent. The Spartak Moscow statement is proving exactly that. what he said on his first interview as an arsenal manager is proving exactly that. He knows what to do but parts of his character does not allow for that....he might be stubborn....ego....or just plain arrogant to accept that maybe some of the things he is doing as a manager at arsenal aint working.
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

bk-one wrote:
tolahs wrote:No method we wish the gaffer employs necessarily works but one can keep the faith if you see things along those lines. Sarri's hiring of Zola to work with him was genius but that coach's failure mainly came from his stubbornness. I don't know that Freddie speaks Spanish or he buys into what is a structure less style of playing.

P/S:
There seems to be a disconnect between what he wants to do and what he is actually doing as a manager.......more like a western schooled african who is constantly bashing anything african but after contracting an std instead of seeking treatment, he is starting to tell people he has been bewitched.

You dont have to be the second coming of Dale Carnigie to know that no matter how good of ideas you have if you dont know how to transmit them to others....they are good as none existent. The Spartak Moscow statement is proving exactly that. what he said on his first interview as an arsenal manager is proving exactly that. He knows what to do but parts of his character does not allow for that....he might be stubborn....ego....or just plain arrogant to accept that maybe some of the things he is doing as a manager at arsenal aint working.
Honestly i think we are all missing the point on Emery. Don't get me wrong, Emery is a good coach. Infact a top coach but definitely not a good coach good enough for any of the top 6 teams in the EPL. At best he's a coach good enough for the middle tier teams in the Premiership. A-la Moye of Everton. For all his so-called success in the La Liga, how come the top teams in La Liga like RM, Barca and AM never appointed him as coach? That tells you all you need to know.
He can't get Arsenal where it wants to be. Unless Arsenal want to be a middle tier Europa qualifying team.
With regards to his sojourn in Spartak, our match against Crystal Palace last season tells all why he was fired in the dressing room in Moscow.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Arsenal news: Mesut Ozil urged to ‘contribute 24/7’ to win back first team place

Mesut Ozil has been urged to “contribute 24/7” in order to win back the trust of Unai Emery and get back in the Arsenal first team.

Raul Sanllehi, head of football at the club, suggested that Ozil could make more of an effort in training to win back his place at a fans forum.

Ozil has not made the match day squad for any of Arsenal’s last three fixtures, but Sanllehi believes he does still have a place at the club, and that rumours that Emery has ostracised the playmaker are not true.

“Unai has had many good players in other teams also, and he has always followed the same policy which is try not to make any distinctions, play the ones who work hard in training and reward the effort with playing time,” he said.

“There is nothing against Mesut on the contrary and I hope we get to see him much more in the next games because his qualities are without question, but he needs to contribute 24/7 and that’s what Unai expects from him.

“It’s not that he’s not working so well, but there are others who are deserving more playing time, but Unai can’t treat him differently than any other player.

“You may have read that Unai has put a barrier up, but nothing at all like this has happened.”

Arsenal are believed to be open to entertaining offers for the German in January, but Sanllehi’s comments seem to indicate that Ozil can still contribute in the meantime.

His contract runs to 2021, meaning a sale is not necessarily urgent, but Ozil is believed to be keen for a move to pastures new.

Emery has previously suggested that Ozil is not one of Arsenal’s best players at the moment.

“I am thinking every time the best players for the match, the best players in the squad to play and help us,” Emery said ahead of the 1-0 win over Bournemouth.

“When I decided he isn’t in the squad it’s because I think other players deserve it more.”

https://news.yahoo.com/arsenal-news-mes ... 342.html?g
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
bk-one
Egg
Egg

Post by bk-one »

azuka wrote:
bk-one wrote:

P/S:

Honestly i think we are all missing the point on Emery. Don't get me wrong, Emery is a good coach. Infact a top coach but definitely not a good coach good enough for any of the top 6 teams in the EPL. At best he's a coach good enough for the middle tier teams in the Premiership. A-la Moye of Everton. For all his so-called success in the La Liga, how come the top teams in La Liga like RM, Barca and AM never appointed him as coach? That tells you all you need to know.
He can't get Arsenal where it wants to be. Unless Arsenal want to be a middle tier Europa qualifying team.
With regards to his sojourn in Spartak, our match against Crystal Palace last season tells all why he was fired in the dressing room in Moscow.
Even at Sevilla.....he had the record of spending the whole season without winning an away game.

To be honest I really dont mind him not (currently) being a top coach......Marco Rose is not a top coach but you can see the potential to be one.....Nagelsmann joined leipzig redbull not because he is a top coach but he has the potential to learn and one day be one......the problem is a not yet top coach letting petty issues from the past dictate how he deals with individuals within his squad.....the narrow mindness....stale football....constantly sticking to stuff which every jack and jill can see it is clearly not working.
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

azuka wrote:
bk-one wrote:

P/S:

My conclusions align with yours - one tries to hold back but how many times does one have to run thru the evidence?
If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from,'' ""To put players in my team who are not good enough will not strengthen the England team, and would weaken the Arsenal team.''The only thing I can say is that whenever England do not win it is always my fault,even when I am not at the game".Wenger said.
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

bk-one wrote:

P/S:

You seem to be saying he's a man with a plan but obviously incapable of executing them - i gotta ask how long do we wait for his plans to bear fruition. I am looking for signs - i liked the 1st half vs the Cherries but the lack of momentum in the 2nd is bewildering.
I can take boring footie if your defensive organisation is stellar.
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

bk-one wrote:
azuka wrote:
bk-one wrote:

P/S:

Even at Sevilla.....he had the record of spending the whole season without winning an away game.

To be honest I really dont mind him not (currently) being a top coach......Marco Rose is not a top coach but you can see the potential to be one.....Nagelsmann joined leipzig redbull not because he is a top coach but he has the potential to learn and one day be one......the problem is a not yet top coach letting petty issues from the past dictate how he deals with individuals within his squad.....the narrow mindness....stale football....constantly sticking to stuff which every jack and jill can see it is clearly not working.
I believe it'll be dangerous to persevere with Unai, the Sevilla record away & chances on goal conceded is a red flag.
There seems to be more leaked stories to the press under this regime than b4 - interesting to note ManC & Liverpool don't get too many leaks out. Arsenal, ManU & increasingly Spurs are becoming big time leakers.
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

cchinukw wrote:Arsenal news: Mesut Ozil urged to ‘contribute 24/7’ to win back first team place

Mesut Ozil has been urged to “contribute 24/7” in order to win back the trust of Unai Emery and get back in the Arsenal first team.

Raul Sanllehi, head of football at the club, suggested that Ozil could make more of an effort in training to win back his place at a fans forum.

Ozil has not made the match day squad for any of Arsenal’s last three fixtures, but Sanllehi believes he does still have a place at the club, and that rumours that Emery has ostracised the playmaker are not true.

“Unai has had many good players in other teams also, and he has always followed the same policy which is try not to make any distinctions, play the ones who work hard in training and reward the effort with playing time,” he said.

“There is nothing against Mesut on the contrary and I hope we get to see him much more in the next games because his qualities are without question, but he needs to contribute 24/7 and that’s what Unai expects from him.

“It’s not that he’s not working so well, but there are others who are deserving more playing time, but Unai can’t treat him differently than any other player.

“You may have read that Unai has put a barrier up, but nothing at all like this has happened.”

Arsenal are believed to be open to entertaining offers for the German in January, but Sanllehi’s comments seem to indicate that Ozil can still contribute in the meantime.

His contract runs to 2021, meaning a sale is not necessarily urgent, but Ozil is believed to be keen for a move to pastures new.

Emery has previously suggested that Ozil is not one of Arsenal’s best players at the moment.

“I am thinking every time the best players for the match, the best players in the squad to play and help us,” Emery said ahead of the 1-0 win over Bournemouth.

“When I decided he isn’t in the squad it’s because I think other players deserve it more.”

https://news.yahoo.com/arsenal-news-mes ... 342.html?g
Even a younger Mesut was more of a runner looking to link play - a lot of the reasons given for him not playing make no sense. The noise regarding Fenerbahçe is strange given no one on that team earns over £70k per wk. It means if Ozil wants to go there on loan, which i suspect will be more influenced by the robbery incident - Arsenal will be looking to pay some 90% of his wages. Some savings that
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Wenger’s legacy is the great youth team he left behind. Hilarious. Five years from now, any fifteen year old, capable or 10 or more kick-ups, a feather for his cap.

Brethren, Wenger’s time has been and gone. For now, ‘tis Emeribe playing Russian roulette with a clan of rugrats. Any success, is all his. The same Mason Mount, CHO and Tammy Abraham have been at Chelsea for how long? Yet, is it not Oga Franklyn Ejikemoh Lampard benching multi million pound acquisitions to get them on the pitch? To whom should go the spoils of fruition? Villas Boas whose wife stirred the Ready-Brek for Mount and Odoi or he who thrust them all before the limelight?

Where is Tom Cruise, Eastmond, Zelalem, that Polark who was supposed to be the next Beckenbauer? Ten kings, ten eras. Oga Wenger’s time has been and gone, his legacy is written in the archives of history, the trophies, the triumphs, the invincibility. Brethren, just as the hammer will make isi-ewu of Emeribe’s head when failure comes, so must he be allowed to hammer from the moments where his decisions, his selections, bring reward. His legacy is now. The marsupials are best left for the Australian outback rather than the courthouse.
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Hmmm just watching Pa Lichsteiner and Xhaka playing for suisse .

Arsenal sabi do retirement package o

...Socrates