With the inconsistency of Iwobi

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
With the inconsistency of Iwobi

Post by Tobi17 »

Is it plausible for Aribo to be played in a more attacking role as opposed to sitting deep with Ndidi? (Etebo can easily be the deep sitting box to box midfielder)... maybe Iwobi can be played out wide with instructions to cut infield on a free role... seems Aribo has taken over the #10 jersey (Mikel will surely be proud).
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: With the inconsistency of Iwobi

Post by metalalloy »

Aribo will not score in every game. The first "poor" game he has, he also be crucified on these pages. Iwobi was a bit off today, but is still the most creative player we have and the most likely source of creating chances for our forwards. The other chance that was saved by the Brazilian keeper off Osimhen was off a chip from Iwobi.

As for your suggestion, its a waste to play Iwobi out wide. Its been tried and he is not very effective there. Also, you would be sacrificing one of the other wide forwards like Kalu, Chukwuezes, Simon etc to accommodate him. Also, Aribo's box to box lungs, and defensive abilities is an asset that probably won't be maximized by moving him up behind the forwards. His late runs into the box and ability to finish is invaluable.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

This post is evidence of mental illness.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Tobi17 wrote:Is it plausible for Aribo to be played in a more attacking role as opposed to sitting deep with Ndidi? (Etebo can easily be the deep sitting box to box midfielder)... maybe Iwobi can be played out wide with instructions to cut infield on a free role... seems Aribo has taken over the #10 jersey (Mikel will surely be proud).
Aribo is fine were he is, his a versatile midfielder and balances the team both defensively and offensively he may have scored in his first two games but he also made it hard for the opponents to attack they way wanted to!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Iwobi was tired running all day in this game. Same as Chukwueze. I agree that his turnovers can really be a problem. However, my biggest gripe is his failure to stay with his running opponent in a 1-2 situation deep on our side that was eventually salvaged for a corner kick. Ndidi visibly tore into him for the lack of effort on that play. Iwobi was then replaced shortly after. GUESS WHAT? In the next play, his sub -- Ramon -- lazied getting to mark attacker deep in SE box and it nearly cost the SE dearly when the Brazilian struck but a lucky toe deflated the shot wide. Those mental lapses were not good. But the reality is that those lapses were not just by SE. What explains Brazil's lack of challenge to Osimhen's header in that second half deep in Brazil's box? These things happen.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I'm not even supposed to be laughing with you.
danfo driver wrote:This post is evidence of mental illness.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Babalawo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babalawo »

Iwobi is our best creative midfielder at the moment, until we have a better replacement we just have to deal with his lack of concentration once in a while. Rohr needs to do some talking to the young man.
Peter Obi For President 2023
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Interesting that Aribo was wearing the #10 jersey even though he wasn't playing that role. Perhaps an indication of what's to come in the future?
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

If during the next game Iwobi is on fire and Aribo has a poor match, then what? The narrative will change again I guess.

For me, the Ndidi-Aribo-Iwobi midfield as good enough. We just need to work on making it better. I would only drop any of them if some highly talented youngster breaks through the ranks.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Tobi17 wrote:Is it plausible for Aribo to be played in a more attacking role as opposed to sitting deep with Ndidi? (Etebo can easily be the deep sitting box to box midfielder)... maybe Iwobi can be played out wide with instructions to cut infield on a free role... seems Aribo has taken over the #10 jersey (Mikel will surely be proud).
Tobi pls take your mess. Do not let the likes of Danfo embarrass you here. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:If during the next game Iwobi is on fire and Aribo has a poor match, then what? The narrative will change again I guess.

For me, the Ndidi-Aribo-Iwobi midfield as good enough. We just need to work on making it better. I would only drop any of them if some highly talented youngster breaks through the ranks.
Why does Nwakali have to make an appearance in all your posts :rotf: :rotf:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

maceo4 wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:If during the next game Iwobi is on fire and Aribo has a poor match, then what? The narrative will change again I guess.

:rotf: :rotf: If Nwakali isn't in those posts would you identify them as Ayo's posts?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Damunk wrote::rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I'm not even supposed to be laughing with you.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Dey there! I dey collect evidence to show the judge, so they can finally commit this guy.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

he has a point, i disgree with you
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Enugu II wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: If Nwakali isn't in those posts would you identify them as Ayo's posts?

Enugu II, I must admit, I agonise over the failure of Nwakali to make the grade. His U17 team mates Chukwueze and Osimhen are now starters and doing well in major leagues, yet, he the most talented of the lot has failed to make the grade. It is kind of like your most brilliant child failing to gain admission into university and his less talented siblings doing so.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Iwobi is inconsistent, but is still the best we have at the AM position. Aribo is best in the CM position where he can be our secondary playmaker. We need to find another AM so we can eventually move Iwobi to the wings where he is more effective. Until that happens Iwobi should continue in the AM position.
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Ebere Eze?
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Obong wrote:Ebere Eze?
what?

Iwobi is not the best creative player we have, he is the only "central" CREATIVE player we have.... Rohr should build a team that plays to his strengths....

The team is too defensive the players spend most of the game chasing shadows...people get tired you know, they are not robots
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Obong wrote:Ebere Eze?
I'm glad you mentioned Ebere, cause I think he's the only missing link to a very promising midfield, hopefully we cap tie him before the end of the year.
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

We actually started playing better with Azeez, Aribo, Ndidi on at the same time in last 10 mins of the game
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: If I was ROhR I would Resign

Post by 1naija »

Iwobi wasn't inconsistent during the ANC. What most of you fail to understand is that opposing coaches scout their opponents and sometimes come up with successful game plans to neutralize the threat. I didn't watch the game, but if as it has been reported by some we were good without Iwobi being at the top of his game, how dangerous do you think we would have been had he been on top of his game? Don't you think Brazil's coach probably knew this and probably ensured that Iwobi didn't have a good game?

This is why the Houston Rockets have not been able to get past the Golden State warriors during NBA playoffs. They allow James Harden score gazillion points during regular season, but in a playoff game, they put 3 to 4 people on him every time he touches the ball and make him look like the worst player in the NBA. Simply put, they put in game plans for him.

Iwobi is a fantastic player and will make Nigeria great!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Robotnik wrote:We actually started playing better with Azeez, Aribo, Ndidi on at the same time in last 10 mins of the game
You saw that too, fresher legs in midfield and a classy central midfielder that can actually hold on to the ball and make good passing decisions along with accurate passes and suddenly our midfield starts ticking again. It was good seeing Azeez combine with Aribo on that play that Thiago Silva had to rugby tackle Aribo and got a YC. He might not have that box to box engine but it’s more important to have these classy midfielders to help keep possession of the ball. He won’t dilly dally or overstay on the ball, will keep it moving smartly, w/ none of the aimless long balls in the general direction of our striker.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

In this game Iwobi was awful. Simple!

Does that make him a bad player? No. He just wasn’t at the races most of the game.

The coach should have pulled him after the first 45 as he was a gear or 2 below the standard acceptable for his role in the game.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."