At the moment only 3 African teams are up to scratch

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
At the moment only 3 African teams are up to scratch

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

(1) I do not know if any of you saw Ukraine beat Portugal 2-1 yesterday but it puts our draw into perspective
(2) Over the last month, Nigeria has drawn with Ukraine and Brazil
(3) I have watched a few European qualifiers and from what I have seen, the likes of Germany, France, Holland, England, etc have nothing on us at the moment
(4) We all saw Senegal match Brazil. They too can compete with anyone for now
(5) I would add Algeria to that list
(6) I believe Nigeria, Senegal and Algeria could easily qualify for Euro 2020 were they in the qualifiers
(7) However, I would not bet on any other African team at the moment
(8) Our other big boys like Egypt, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Cameroon, Morocco, Tunisia, South Africa, etc, are not pulling their weight for now
(9) That can change over the next year but for now, Africa only has three teams
(10) I look forward to the day our continent will produce five teams that can draw with Brazil at the same time
Last edited by Ayo Akinfe on Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: At the moment only 3 African teams are up to scratch

Post by jette1 »

what is the goal of this thread
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:(1) I do not know if any of you saw Ukraine beat Portugal 2-1 yesterday but it puts our draw into perspective
(3) I have watched a few European qualifiers and from what I have seen, the likes of Germany, France, Holland, England, etc have nothing on us at the moment
(6) I believe Nigeria, Senegal and Algeria could easily qualify for Euro 2020 were they in the qualifiers
(8) Our other big boys like Egypt, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Cameroon, Morocco, Tunisia, South Africa, etc, are not pulling their weight for now
(10) I look forward to the day our continent will produce five teams that can draw with Brazil at the same time
With raws style of football, all our games in Euro 2020 would be a draw.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

jette1 wrote:what is the goal of this thread
Oga pls, dont derail this thread.
Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

This is an editorial opinion from our Contributing Editor At large :woot:
"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

To try and put our performances in perspective.
Ukraine just beat European champions Portugal and now top their group by an 8 point margin. But when we got a result against them, the excuse was that they are a below average team. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

own goal? :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

Maybe it is only me but I find it difficult to make such judgement's off friendlies. I think competitive games are different ball game where extensive opposition scouting takes place. However, I take solace that the SE have been competitive in their last two games which is encouraging. It at least indicates roughly where they are at. I still don't think this team right now would qualify from the same WC 2018 group.
Zelex-CE World Cup 2010 prediction Winner
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177767
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Zelex wrote:Maybe it is only me but I find it difficult to make such judgement's off friendlies. I think competitive games are different ball game where extensive opposition scouting takes place. However, I take solace that the SE have been competitive in their last two games which is encouraging. It at least indicates roughly where they are at. I still don't think this team right now would qualify from the same WC 2018 group.

I agree with you on that. We all know that the bar gets raised significantly in competitive games but we can take solace from the fact that we are at least within touching distance of the big boys. For instance, If Ghana played a friendly against Brazil today, I believe they would have been beaten at least 4-0. I also believe Ukraine would easily put three past Cameroon without response if they met in a friendly.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I would add CIV to that list. They are quietly building a very strong team. Remember they were the only team not to lose to Algeria in 90 minutes. Something Nigeria failed to do, and Senegal failed to do TWICE.

I watched them beat DR Congo 3-1 the other day and they look strong. Their attack was dynamic with a front 3 of Zaha, Pepe, and Gradel. Zaha is starting to play for the team which is encouraging.

They have a stacked midfield. IMO CIV is the best team in Africa from the midfield forward. Their weakness is in defence.

I think they will be a major threat to win afcon in 2021. A young ant talented team like us, while Senegal and Algeria are much older.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

vancity eagle wrote:I would add CIV to that list. They are quietly building a very strong team. Remember they were the only team not to lose to Algeria in 90 minutes. Something Nigeria failed to do, and Senegal failed to do TWICE.

I watched them beat DR Congo 3-1 the other day and they look strong. Their attack was dynamic with a front 3 of Zaha, Pepe, and Gradel. Zaha is starting to play for the team which is encouraging.

They have a stacked midfield. IMO CIV is the best team in Africa from the midfield forward. Their weakness is in defence.

I think they will be a major threat to win afcon in 2021. A young ant talented team like us, while Senegal and Algeria are much older.

By the way, do they still play football in Ghana at the moment? When was the last time the Kenkey Bredas had a good game?
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

VE are you sure that you're not half CIC? because the way you adulate them di crazy
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Later today, there will be:

Algeria vs Colombia
Guinea vs Chile
Morocco vs Gabon

Let us see how Algeria and Guinea fare.
Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:I would add CIV to that list. They are quietly building a very strong team. Remember they were the only team not to lose to Algeria in 90 minutes. Something Nigeria failed to do, and Senegal failed to do TWICE.

By the way, do they still play football in Ghana at the moment? When was the last time the Kenkey Bredas had a good game?
:winking: We got the Silver in the recently concluded WAFU. 1-1 against Senegal, but lost through penalty kicks in the final on Sunday.
Black Stars B head coach, Maxwell Konadu, has admitted that his team was not at the required levels to go past Senegal in the final of this year’s ESPN WAFU Cup of Nations played on Sunday.

G
"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Senator WIRES wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

:winking: We got the Silver in the recently concluded WAFU. 1-1 against Senegal, but lost through penalty kicks in the final on Sunday.
Black Stars B head coach, Maxwell Konadu, has admitted that his team was not at the required levels to go past Senegal in the final of this year’s ESPN WAFU Cup of Nations played on Sunday.

G
We are talking of serious games and you are mentioning home-based Wafu tournaments. Why did you not play a senior game during this Fifa window?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

How about the fact, SE has not won a single game after Afcon. One win in 4 , lost to Algeria, Tied Ukraine and Brazil...hmmmm yet to keep a clean sheet.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Bigpokey24 wrote:How about the fact, SE has not won a single game after Afcon. One win in 4 , lost to Algeria, Tied Ukraine and Brazil...hmmmm yet to keep a clean sheet.
To be fair we played two world class teams in Brazil and to to extent Ukraine, and more than held our own. Maybe if NFF had arranged one more friendly in the available fifa window to play some decent to below average European or African team... we would have had some wins to cap it all.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Bigpokey24 wrote:How about the fact, SE has not won a single game after Afcon. One win in 4 , lost to Algeria, Tied Ukraine and Brazil...hmmmm yet to keep a clean sheet.
You're right. The NFF should've scheduled a game against Chad or Niger to give us an easy win.

Context is everything dude. The draw against Brazil trumps a win vs most other teams we could've possibly played.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

If we had played Ghana and beaten them 3-0 and then Niger Republic and beaten them 4-0, would you have considered that a greater achievement?
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:(1) I do not know if any of you saw Ukraine beat Portugal 2-1 yesterday but it puts our draw into perspective

A list without Kenya is always suspect.
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

The Jagaban wrote:

A list without Kenya is always suspect.
I fully agree - If we are discussing marathons!
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

WTF, we have only played 2 games since Afcon and drew both. Where did you get 4?
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

I want to agree, but these were friendlies where the results weren't important. Left to friendlies, Argentina would be our wives not the nemesis.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS