Algeria

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Algeria

Post by Tobi17 »

Are currently schooling Colombia in a 2-0 lead, they are just doing everything right- great passing, beautiful on and off movements, neat and exciting attack and counter attack... Algeria without a doubt are easily the best coached team in Africa, I see them winning another AFCON in 2021.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Algeria

Post by vancity eagle »

could have been 3-0, as they hit the crossbar in what should have been a goal.

They are schooling Colombia, but some sloppiness is starting to creep into their game and they were almost punished near the end of the half.

2-0 HT

Chile beat a severely depleted Guinea side 3-2 today. Guinea had a few players with their first caps today. Gave a good account of themselves.

All in all the Africans have had a good showing vs the South Americans.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

vancity eagle wrote:could have been 3-0, as they hit the crossbar in what should have been a goal.

They are schooling Colombia, but some sloppiness is starting to creep into their game and they were almost punished near the end of the half.

2-0 HT

Chile beat a severely depleted Guinea side 3-2 today. Guinea had a few players with their first caps today. Gave a good account of themselves.

Wow!

North Africans need to get over their tendency to roll over in inter continental games. I hope they keep a clean sheet.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

vancity eagle wrote:could have been 3-0, as they hit the crossbar in what should have been a goal.

2-0 HT

African football is definitely stepping up, I know it's only a friendly, but there are very encouraging signs for African football.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Mahrez strikes again, 3 Goals for Algeria :clap:
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Abeg wia una day watch am?

Wha choo looking at?!
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Algeria Schooling Colombia
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I have to admit that I still had doubts that Algeria was Africas top team even after beating Senegal twice and Nigeria.

I think they have today proved they are the top team in Africa.

How they have turned things around in just a year and a half. Remember they finished bottom of our WCQ group and now are AFCON champions and thrashing Colombia. with virtually the same set of players.

Very good defensive organization. Colombia had very few chances today.

Imagine people wanted to crucify and fire Rohr for losing in the last minute to this team

Very convincing victory, I am happy with how the African teams played against the South American teams this window

Senegal 1 Brazil 1
Nigeria 1 Brazil 1
Chile 3 Guinea 2
Algeria 3 Colombia 0
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

^^ I remember you lambasting African teams at the Afcon for not being technical enough. How did the technical South Americans do vs Africa in this round of friendlies?
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

vancity eagle wrote:I have to admit that I still had doubts that Algeria was Africas top team even after beating Senegal twice and Nigeria.

I think they have today proved they are the top team in Africa.

How they have turned things around in just a year and a half. Remember they finished bottom of our WCQ group and now are AFCON champions and thrashing Colombia. with virtually the same set of players.

Very good defensive organization. Colombia had very few chances today.

Imagine people wanted to crucify and fire Rohr for losing in the last minute to this team

Very convincing victory, I am happy with how the African teams played against the South American teams this window

Senegal 1 Brazil 1
Nigeria 1 Brazil 1
Chile 3 Guinea 2
Algeria 3 Colombia 0
Let's replicate this form at the next WC. South American teams have murdered us at the WC. Nigeria has played South American teams 6 times at the WC, and lost all six matches, scored 5 and received 12 goals. Senegal, CIV and Ghana have all lost to South American teams. The last time an African team beat a SA team (Cameroon beat Colombia) at the WC was in 1990, almost 30 years ago. :woot:

Wha choo looking at?!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Just saw the Colombian line up, and realized they were missing some key players. It was pretty much their team C with a new coach, but impressive result by Algeria nonetheless.
blackjack
Egg
Egg

Post by blackjack »

Tobi17 wrote:Just saw the Colombian line up, and realized they were missing some key players. It was pretty much their team C with a new coach, but impressive result by Algeria nonetheless.
Lol they were only missing James and falcao(who is not always a starter anymore)
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Robotnik wrote:Algeria Schooling Colombia
Maybe the Algerians were just very clinical in their finishing, becos of their 4 shots on target, three resulted in goals, 2 from Mahrez.
Colombia scored none from their 4. Both teams took just 8 shots at goal

But look at the possession stats: 42% Algeria, 58% Colombia.
Passes: Algeria 296, Colombia 405 - over 100 passes more.

So do we still continue to harp on about possession as if it is the key to performance? The game was described by those that watched it live as Algeria 'schooling' Colombia.
And in all fairness, from the scoreline, they did.

But again, I think we need to identify the south American strength and respect the fact that it takes a strategic approach to beat them and maybe it is not always best to try and beat them at their own game of possession. Give them possession in non-key areas.

The football equivalent of 'Rope-a-dope'.
Anyone here old enough to recognise that term? :D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Damunk wrote:
Robotnik wrote:Algeria Schooling Colombia
Maybe the Algerians were just very clinical in their finishing, becos of their 4 shots on target, three resulted in goals, 2 from Mahrez.
Colombia scored none from their 4. Both teams took just 8 shots at goal

But look at the possession stats: 42% Algeria, 58% Colombia.
Passes: Algeria 296, Colombia 405 - over 100 passes more.

So do we still continue to harp on about possession as if it is the key to performance? The game was described by those that watched it live as Algeria 'schooling' Colombia.
And in all fairness, from the scoreline, they did.

But again, I think we need to identify the south American strength and respect the fact that it takes a strategic approach to beat them and maybe it is not always best to try and beat them at their own game of possession. Give them possession in non-key areas.

The football equivalent of 'Rope-a-dope'.
Anyone here old enough to recognise that term? :D
France won all their knock out games at the WC with less than 40% possession IIRC.

Wha choo looking at?!