Game Stats, Rohr and 5 other things

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Game Stats, Rohr and 5 other things

Post by Lolly »

deanotito wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:If Rohr has turned the Eagles into a counter attacking team to play against supposedly stronger opposition how do we play when we meet weak African opposition at home? Do we relinquish procession hoping to counter? At the ANC Rohr’s team lost to Malagasy because they system is only appropriate against teams that attack and become ineffective against teams that sit back. Nigeria could have played for two hours and would never had scored
This is why I think the Eagles have one speed. We are built to sting teams that come at us...especially teams with lower quality. We can even sting the best teams in the world....but because we are still profligate in front of goal, we don't sting enough times...so we're a 1 to 2 goal team that ends up spending a huge portion of the game soaking up pressure. As a fan, I don't like it, but even beyond just heart palpitations, it's not a winning strategy.

Even if you have good markers in open play, you might be weaker defending corners, and if you keep conceding corners, at some point, someone will head a corner in your goal...or, as was the case with Algeria at the ANC, you concede a freekick in a dangerous place. This is why you have to give as good as you get…when the eagles get the ball, they spend a lot of time giving it away, and going back into a defensive posture. On the positive side, our attacks are so quick that we go from end to end very quickly, and then have to endure pressure. This is the reason Rohr, I think, likes to play Etebo and Ndidi….he needs them to constantly play mop-up. But as good as those 2 are, they’re not superhuman…they cannot keep elite talent at bay.

How quickly fans have forgotten the SE's matches during the AFCON and World Cup qualifiers under the same Rohr against top African countries and when we beat Argentina. This was just over 2 years ago. We dominated most teams and scored lots of goals. The problem I see now which started just before the world cup friendlies was that we lost a few quality players either through loss of form (Kelechi, Mikel, Simon Moses) or retirement (Victor Moses) and we have not been able to find good replacements. Mikel is a big loss. He was able to keep the ball and at the same time always find the right pass. The young boys we have now are too eager to impress that they end of making wrong decisions that cause our play to breakdown.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

eyan wrote:
deanotito wrote:I said after the Ukraine game that Nigeria seems to have only one speed - counter attacking. As shown by our possession stats, it means we’re constantly dealing with waves and waves of opposition attack. In my experience, this is no way to play winning football. We need players with the technical skills to keep the football. And I’m afraid the key is in midfield. Ndidi is untouchable but one of the other 2 has to have a comfort level on the ball that calms the game and retains possession
One of the reasons we can't keep possession is that the opposition puts us under pressure as soon as we have the ball, sometimes our players waste time trying to dribble instead of giving a pass, they dance awilo until they are closed down by 3-4 players (Simon Moses was guilty of this). On the other hand we don't put our opponent under pressure once they have the ball, hence the higher possession. Another thing is our box 18 is easily accessible. Playing not to lose and playing to win are not the same. Under Rohr, we play not to lose, and with him in charge, Naija footy is going no where.

I'm sure our midfielders, apart from Ndidi, can hold ball comfortably. We just need to improve on getting the ball back immediately we turn it over, move out as a unit instead of sitting in the box 18, it's easy to do 1-2 play if you a compact.
:clap:
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Lolly wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:If Rohr has turned the Eagles into a counter attacking team to play against supposedly stronger opposition how do we play when we meet weak African opposition at home? Do we relinquish procession hoping to counter? At the ANC Rohr’s team lost to Malagasy because they system is only appropriate against teams that attack and become ineffective against teams that sit back. Nigeria could have played for two hours and would never had scored
This is why I think the Eagles have one speed. We are built to sting teams that come at us...especially teams with lower quality. We can even sting the best teams in the world....but because we are still profligate in front of goal, we don't sting enough times...so we're a 1 to 2 goal team that ends up spending a huge portion of the game soaking up pressure. As a fan, I don't like it, but even beyond just heart palpitations, it's not a winning strategy.

Even if you have good markers in open play, you might be weaker defending corners, and if you keep conceding corners, at some point, someone will head a corner in your goal...or, as was the case with Algeria at the ANC, you concede a freekick in a dangerous place. This is why you have to give as good as you get…when the eagles get the ball, they spend a lot of time giving it away, and going back into a defensive posture. On the positive side, our attacks are so quick that we go from end to end very quickly, and then have to endure pressure. This is the reason Rohr, I think, likes to play Etebo and Ndidi….he needs them to constantly play mop-up. But as good as those 2 are, they’re not superhuman…they cannot keep elite talent at bay.

How quickly fans have forgotten the SE's matches during the AFCON and World Cup qualifiers under the same Rohr against top African countries and when we beat Argentina. This was just over 2 years ago. We dominated most teams and scored lots of goals. The problem I see now which started just before the world cup friendlies was that we lost a few quality players either through loss of form (Kelechi, Mikel, Simon Moses) or retirement (Victor Moses) and we have not been able to find good replacements. Mikel is a big loss. He was able to keep the ball and at the same time always find the right pass. The young boys we have now are too eager to impress that they end of making wrong decisions that cause our play to breakdown.
SE have more quality players now. Simon is better than when he was in belgium, Kelechi was never it for the SE since Rohr Chukwueze is what VM wished he was all through his career, and MIkel, well, baba na baba.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

This counts as one of Brazil’s accurate passes lol

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3p4seYHD2M ... 7je4dlj75p
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

chief nfachairman wrote:
Lolly wrote:
deanotito wrote:

SE have more quality players now. Simon is better than when he was in belgium, Kelechi was never it for the SE since Rohr Chukwueze is what VM wished he was all through his career, and MIkel, well, baba na baba.
No sir. The quality we have now are very young and so inexperienced. That's why our ball retention and decision making has been subpar. Potential is there but they have a few more years playing against quality opposition to get there. Chukwueze is no where near the quality of Moses at his peak but he is still very young and also has the potential to be a much better player. He still plays like a school boy, can be selfish just like Moses and makes wrong decisions with his hold up play and passes.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote:This counts as one of Brazil’s accurate passes lol

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3p4seYHD2M ... 7je4dlj75p
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Missed this when watching live....
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Somewhat ironic, some quarters queried stats of the friendly matches just before the WC (low possession, 1 shot on target etc), are now clamouring stats doesn´t matter.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

fabio wrote:Somewhat ironic, some quarters queried stats of the friendly matches just before the WC (low possession, 1 shot on target etc), are now clamouring stats doesn´t matter.
:taunt: :P
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

chief nfachairman wrote:STATS

*Eagles had equal shots on target with Brazil.
*Brazil had 4 more total shots than Eagles.
*Brazil had 12 corners vs Nigeria's 2.
*And Brazil had 68% possession and Nigeria 32%.

Quick Analysis:
-Few times Nigeria was on the ball, they get to the opponents goal. It's clear we are cutting edge.
-But on the flip side, we gave Brazil alot of the ball so we end up spending so much energy defending, hence 12 corners for Brazil.
-This stat is almost similar to the nations cup.
-Imagine if NIgeria can keep the ball alot more, keep it in possession and mixed with this cutting edge? Then, instead of 5 shots on Goal, we'll have 9 or more. Deadly!

MY TAKE ON ROHR
.Fantastic team manager
.Great scouting
.Great organization
.Great discipline and team bonding
.Great man management
.Great team preparation
.Good strategy and game understanding
.Uses modern tech and sciences in preparing the team
.Old school style of play

I mean, in this day and age of possession football, where the GK is expected to be perfect with his feet, ROHR's SE boots the ball into the field hoping to win the second ball. Who does that?

WHy can't these guys keep the ball and play amongst themselves comfortably. They loose the ball easily and dont seem to dominate play and possession. Rohr has the personnel to make this happen. We have skillful players that love to have the ball, that have good close control. Etebo, Alex, Ndidi, Collins, Aina, Kalu, Osimhen, etc.

Verdict:
Rohr brings alot of positives but his negative is almost choking. I recommend
1. A Nigerian assistant to Rohr that is technically and tactically sound. He must be bred in modern football and an attack minded coach.
2. If no Nigerian is available, we can look to the rest of the African continent. Before we go international.
3. This assistant would be groomed and expected to take over from Rohr after the WC.
4. RIght now, I dont know any Nigerian that fits this bill. What happened to the 2010 SE? Are they not looking to coaching?
5. If we cant get any coach to fit the bill, Rohr should be kept on but the Fans and NFF must put him under pressure to CHANGE this HORRIBLE LOOKING football.

5 Other things
1. Iwobi has never lit up that no 10 position. TIme to try out another personnel even if as back up. I suggest we try Kalu (Played this position bout 5times for Bordeaux), Aribo-played AM alot last season for Charlton, Etebo (he's main position)
2. Its clear top 3 wingers are Kalu, Chukwueze and Simon. Who gets the 4th position? These players are fighting for the position: Ahmed Musa, Dennis, Chidera Ejike.
3. Uzoho is confidence. He seemms to be growing quick. Byebye Akpeyi.
4. Div 4 GoalKeeper? hmmmm
5. Awaziem would be a world class defender.
Chief, where is your 'sauce'? :taunt:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

fabio wrote:Somewhat ironic, some quarters queried stats of the friendly matches just before the WC (low possession, 1 shot on target etc), are now clamouring stats doesn´t matter.
Shots on target matter my friend. You don come again with your false narrative.
The whole point of the game is to score goals. Have you ever seen a goal scored with out being on target? :rotf:
The debate has since moved on to the significance of ‘possession’ stats.
Keep up, Chief. :idea:
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote:
The whole point of the game is to score goals. Have you ever seen a goal scored with out being on target? :rotf:
Not just shots on target, shots period matter. A shot on target could be a simple back pass to the keeper while a shot off-target is one that had beaten the keeper but hit the woodwork. That the opponents were missing easy shots from inside your 18 and/or 6 yard box doesn't mean you defended well, you got lucky...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

we should watch what we say o. victor moses is an epl, ANC and UEFA cup winner and he also contributed immensely towards that win. let chukwueze win before you start saying "chukwueze is what moses wishes to be" for now, his just a good dribbler
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote:
My senior chief, an observation was made regarding the stats discussion pre wc friendly matches. That's all. Since the debate has moved on :D I better move on with the observation :tic:
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Not just shots on target, shots period matter. A shot on target could be a simple back pass to the keeper while a shot off-target is one that had beaten the keeper but hit the woodwork. That the opponents were missing easy shots from inside your 18 and/or 6 yard box doesn't mean you defended well, you got lucky...
I think we are splitting hairs here.
A shot on target could be a back pass as you say but we can't start counting all variables. Shots matter but you can't score with a shot off target is the undeniable truth. A shot off target could be a near miss or a floodlight smasher.
Personally I believe shots against the bar or goalpost should be in the 'on target' category as they are 'saved' by the woodwork. But that's just me.

Just as shot stats can be ambiguous, so too can possession. If you agree on the former then you can't deny the latter.
Some teams play (and win) with minimal possession because they have studied their opposition, identified their strengths, know their own weaknesses and have then decided to adopt a 'rope-a-dope' strategy.

How otherwise can a team win 3-0 with just 42% possession?

It is an accepted tactic and has been deployed successfully countless times by countless teams. Like I said in another thread, it could be suicidal playing teams like Brazil at their possession game, unless you have equally extraordinarily gifted players.
How many JJs or Kanus do we have in our team?

Lets get real here.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Lolly wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:
Lolly wrote:
deanotito wrote:

No sir. The quality we have now are very young and so inexperienced. That's why our ball retention and decision making has been subpar. Potential is there but they have a few more years playing against quality opposition to get there. Chukwueze is no where near the quality of Moses at his peak but he is still very young and also has the potential to be a much better player. He still plays like a school boy, can be selfish just like Moses and makes wrong decisions with his hold up play and passes.

These boys are playing top level football, forget age. THey are playing in technical leagues where you need to have quality technique. When was the last time we heard any rumour of Nigerian players going to a Barca, or Real, or Bayern, Liverpool etc. Now we hearing those rumours alot.

These guys are winnng and getting nominated for player of the month in their teams or leagues, or winning MOTM awards. Hell, in France, Nantes, Bordeaux and Lille are top 5 on the league table, and the Nigerian players there are the main guys in those teams.

Just look at the quality below. this does not include bench warmers in the top leagues like nacho, baligun, success, etc.

Defence:
Serie A
Bundesliga
Benfica
Top Championship team (Would be in the EPL next season)
Serie A
Laliga
Laliga

Midfield
EPL
Laliga
Rangers
EPL
Championship (Player of the month)
Croatia (IN champions league)

Attack
Lique 1 (France)
Lique 1 (France)
Lique 1 (France)
Lique 1 (France)
Laliga
Belgium (IN Champions League)
Belgium (IN Champions League)
Czech (IN Champions League)
Saudi (Very dissapointing)
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

fabio wrote:
Damunk wrote:
My senior chief, an observation was made regarding the stats discussion pre wc friendly matches. That's all. Since the debate has moved on :D I better move on with the observation :tic:

"But especially in the second half, we had a great performance. We had ball possession and creativity. It's no use having possession of the ball without creating, but we did. It was not effective [enough] to score."
- Brazilian coach Tite, speaking on the Nigeria-Brazil match.

https://www.besoccer.com/new/tite-sees- ... ame-725858
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Quick Analysis:
-Few times Nigeria was on the ball, they get to the opponents goal. It's clear we are cutting edge.
-But on the flip side, we gave Brazil alot of the ball so we end up spending so much energy defending, hence 12 corners for Brazil.
-Imagine if NIgeria can keep the ball alot more, keep it in possession and mixed with this cutting edge? Then, instead of 5 shots on Goal, we'll have 9 or more. Deadly!

MY TAKE ON ROHR
.Fantastic team manager
.Great scouting
.Great organization
.Great man management
.Great team preparation

I mean, in this day and age of possession football, where the GK is expected to be perfect with his feet, ROHR's SE boots the ball into the field hoping to win the second ball. Who does that?

WHy can't these guys keep the ball and play amongst themselves comfortably. They loose the ball easily and dont seem to dominate play and possession. Rohr has the personnel to make this happen. We have skillful players that love to have the ball, that have good close control. Etebo, Alex, Ndidi, Collins, Aina, Kalu, Osimhen, etc.

Verdict:
1. A Nigerian assistant to Rohr that is technically and tactically sound. He must be bred in modern football and an attack minded coach.
2. If no Nigerian is available, we can look to the rest of the African continent. Before we go international.
3. This assistant would be groomed and expected to take over from Rohr after the WC.
4. RIght now, I dont know any Nigerian that fits this bill. What happened to the 2010 SE? Are they not looking to coaching?
5. If we cant get any coach to fit the bill, Rohr should be kept on but the Fans and NFF must put him under pressure to CHANGE this HORRIBLE LOOKING football.

5 Other things
1. Iwobi has never lit up that no 10 position. TIme to try out another personnel even if as back up. I suggest we try Kalu (Played this position bout 5times for Bordeaux), Aribo-played AM alot last season for Charlton, Etebo (he's main position)
2. Its clear top 3 wingers are Kalu, Chukwueze and Simon. Who gets the 4th position? These players are fighting for the position: Ahmed Musa, Dennis, Chidera Ejike.
So lizard go dey chop monkey dey work?

Why not just look for his replacement already?

As you can see we have a serious defensive problem with turnovers in very dangerous areas.

AND THIS PROBLEM IS AS OLD AS ROHR'S APPOINTMENT.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

May I politely remind everyone that some of you guys arguing about low possession figures were arguing the opposite some months ago when you were appalled at our low scoring rate. The angle then was "what's with all the possession if you can't score?"

Now you are using possession in the game against the world's 3rd best team (Brazil) as a benchmark for performance, just like you used the loss to Argentina (with the world's greatest player and a good number of world class stars) as a benchmark.

Imagine. As if 80% of the Brazilian team wouldn't stroll into the SE.

And it would be very nice if at least ONE of you could give an opinion on how France as able to win the world Cup with possession stats at below 40% in the majority of their key matches.

You cannot be picking and choosing information and claim to be fair commentators.

Better to give a disclaimer at the beginning of your posts. :D
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

cchinukw wrote:

Quick Analysis:

MY TAKE ON ROHR
.Fantastic team manager
.Great scouting
.Great organization
.Great man management
.Great team preparation

Verdict:

5 Other things
So lizard go dey chop monkey dey work?

Why not just look for his replacement already?

As you can see we have a serious defensive problem with turnovers in very dangerous areas.

AND THIS PROBLEM IS AS OLD AS ROHR'S APPOINTMENT.
Older, actually. :rotf:

Since we are now looking at World Class opposition as our benchmark:

Nig v Argentina 2014
Possession:
39% v 61%
Shots on Target
3 v 13
Passes
314 v 525

Ngr v Bosnia 2014
Possession
40% v 60%
Shots On Target
9 v 7
Passes
335 v 495

Ngr v France 2014

Possession
47% v 53%
Shots On Target
2 v 5
Passes
332 v 371

Unfortunately, there are no match stats from AFCON 2014 to compare.
Oh....and we didn't qualify in 2015 and 2017 :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Damunk wrote: Unfortunately, there are no match stats from AFCON 2014 to compare.
So why not go back to 2013 when we won the damn thing? It's just 6 years ago o and fresh like yesterday. :sneaky:
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

cchinukw wrote:
Damunk wrote: Unfortunately, there are no match stats from AFCON 2014 to compare.
So why not go back to 2013 when we won the damn thing? It's just 6 years ago o and fresh like yesterday. :sneaky:
Guy, I meant 2013.
My bad.
I don't skip crucial info, unlike some. :taunt:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

cchinukw wrote:
what do you expect from the rohrbot specialist who only picks stats to fit his fence derailing thought processes
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote:
"But especially in the second half, we had a great performance. We had ball possession and creativity. It's no use having possession of the ball without creating, but we did. It was not effective [enough] to score."
- Brazilian coach Tite, speaking on the Nigeria-Brazil match.

https://www.besoccer.com/new/tite-sees- ... ame-725858
This is the full quote...
"The result was insufficient," Tite told reporters at the National Stadium. In terms of results, the Brazilian team always wants to win and seeks to win. But especially in the second half, we had a great performance. We had ball possession and creativity. It's no use having possession of the ball without creating, but we did. It was not effective [enough] to score."