nigeria FA cups 78 - 83 any recollections?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gadfly
Egg
Egg
Re: nigeria FA cups 78 - 83 any recollections?

Post by Gadfly »

Those were the days ...
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

Thanks for bringing up this thread Gadfly, how refreshing!
oluwaseye the 1st.
Egg
Egg

Post by oluwaseye the 1st. »

Enjoying the thread greatly, i saw the 1981 final live with my late papa.!! Also remember watching on TV what some pundits arguably till today nominate is the best match ever between local teams, Bendel Insurance v Raccah Rovers at the national stadium in 1979, played under floodlights. It ended 2-2. As an aside, was there a player called Benjamin Nzeakor who played for Iwuanyanwu Nationale!!
Truth needs no support system, it can stand firmly on its legs!!

COYS
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

oluwaseye the 1st. wrote:Enjoying the thread greatly, i saw the 1981 final live with my late papa.!! Also remember watching on TV what some pundits arguably till today nominate is the best match ever between local teams, Bendel Insurance v Raccah Rovers at the national stadium in 1979, played under floodlights. It ended 2-2. As an aside, was there a player called Benjamin Nzeakor who played for Iwuanyanwu Nationale!!
I know he played for the National team. It is possible he played for Iwuanyanwu Nationale, as they were the top local side for some years. I believe they used to be Spartans and are now called Heartland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benji_Nzeakor
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

There will never be anything like that 1978 Challenge Cup final again. It is arguably the best Nigerian match played ever. Felix Agbonifo, Peter Egbareva and Chris Ogu made Rangers look like a primary school team in the National Stadium that day.
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:There will never be anything like that 1978 Challenge Cup final again. It is arguably the best Nigerian match played ever. Felix Agbonifo, Peter Egbareva and Chris Ogu made Rangers look like a primary school team in the National Stadium that day.
:clap:
Wow
Gadfly
This thread is 14 years old
Oboe scored two but man and f the match was Ernest Okonkwo

He beats his man gingerly
Rangers are great losers, congratulating their victors
They have come, they have seen and they have been conquered
Rangers have not only been beaten
They have been battered
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

oluwaseye the 1st. wrote:Enjoying the thread greatly, i saw the 1981 final live with my late papa.!! Also remember watching on TV what some pundits arguably till today nominate is the best match ever between local teams, Bendel Insurance v Raccah Rovers at the national stadium in 1979, played under floodlights. It ended 2-2. As an aside, was there a player called Benjamin Nzeakor who played for Iwuanyanwu Nationale!!
Benjamin Nzeakor did play for Iwuanyawu Nationale in the late 80's. I also remember watching him play for Sharks at Onikan Stadium in the early 80's. He might have also played in the LAFA league (maybe even for Stores) before then because the knowledgeable old heads in the stadium were talking about him as if they were familiar with him. He moved on to Brazil after Iwuanyawu Nationale.

Super winger, he had that trick of flicking the ball on his heels over his and the defenders head and running past the defender to collect it. Tried it once against Monday Kanu of Bendel Insurance, Monday head-butted him as he tried to run past and the ref said play on even though Benjy was wriggling on the floor in pain.