Rangers/Shooting/NFA conspiracy against Bendel Insurance?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Rangers/Shooting/NFA conspiracy against Bendel Insurance?

Post by Gotti »

Sanga Balende wrote:I still say there was a conspiracy. Giving Kadhiri and Adiele an opportunity is an insult. ANC after the opening game and Muda in the knock out stages. While we accomodated Owolabi and Adokiye in an unorthodo dual left wing approach. Ogboe, Agbonifo should have had a shot. Martins Eyo could not clean Ogboe's boots. Martins Eyo ke? Please don't insult me by telling me that Effiong as a third keeper was remotely equipped to play. Why was Agwo Nnaji not called up??? Why??? A man who had shut out the likes of Abega, Odegbami, Onyedika, Milla, Ekoule was not good enough to be our second choice keepr over an aging and declining Okala? John orlando was beter than Agbonifo? Bamidele was better than a pre injured Howard or Monidafe. If you believe that, you dont know football.

On another note, don't forget we also tried out John Nwadioha in Tunis and in the mid eighties, we also tried out the Luton Town basher Emeka Nwajiobi.

I do believe that this time around, Nigeria may just have rediscovered its largest base of quality talent pool. Whether they are committed or not remains to be seen.
But Agwo Nnaji (who btw could not hack it at Vasco) was OLDER than Okala... :oops:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Gotti wrote:
Sanga Balende wrote:I still say there was a conspiracy. Giving Kadhiri and Adiele an opportunity is an insult. ANC after the opening game and Muda in the knock out stages. While we accomodated Owolabi and Adokiye in an unorthodo dual left wing approach. Ogboe, Agbonifo should have had a shot. Martins Eyo could not clean Ogboe's boots. Martins Eyo ke? Please don't insult me by telling me that Effiong as a third keeper was remotely equipped to play. Why was Agwo Nnaji not called up??? Why??? A man who had shut out the likes of Abega, Odegbami, Onyedika, Milla, Ekoule was not good enough to be our second choice keepr over an aging and declining Okala? John orlando was beter than Agbonifo? Bamidele was better than a pre injured Howard or Monidafe. If you believe that, you dont know football.

On another note, don't forget we also tried out John Nwadioha in Tunis and in the mid eighties, we also tried out the Luton Town basher Emeka Nwajiobi.

I do believe that this time around, Nigeria may just have rediscovered its largest base of quality talent pool. Whether they are committed or not remains to be seen.
But Agwo Nnaji (who btw could not hack it at Vasco) was OLDER than Okala... :oops:
Leave the man to be talking nonsense there. Comparing Agwo Nnaji to Okalla what an insult, what an utter insult.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

How the frigging heck did I miss this thread? Now, we know who the walking encyclopedia are. Big ups to Megapro, Oloye, Toxicarrow, Gotti, omo-eko, etc...You guys are incredible! Who needs google with these guys around. Too bad I wasn't in Nigeria at that time. (Busy running for mayor of North side Chicago then :lol:). I remember my mum ( a die-hard Bendel fan) lamenting the omission of her nephew Felix Agbonifo :( . All in all, we still won the '80 ANC and that was the most important thing. But this thread is definitely a keeper!
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Abbey,

It was a terrific thread.
I remember the day five years ago, I was in Berlin and it lasted till like 23:00
Though still standing, I was gasping like someone who squared up with the bigger Klitschko full 12 rounds.
Strictly celebration of soccer devoid of insulting empty vessels, and everyone that contributed showed how entertaining and informative a Nigerian soccer blog can be. Once a year I pay it a visit -like someone visiting Mecca or Jeruselem. :D
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Rangers/Shooting/NFA conspiracy against Bendel Insurance

Post by megapro »

Sanga Balende wrote:Oloye, just like the NFL, boxing and other main stream sports, I believe that the conglomerates (Shooting/Rangers/NFA) were not ready for Alabi Aissien and his modern bunch. Neither were the NFA or Eagles ready for NNB to break the strong hold of both clubs.

The fact is that Egharevba, Ogboe, Agbonifo and that Bendel Insurance team ( Not just Adiele and Kadiri) were superior to Rangers and IICC.

Truth be told. For whatever reason, the NFA did not feel that Agbonifo could understudy Lawal or that Nnaji Agwo was a better keeper than Ogedegbe or Okalla.

Any team that trashes Shooting and Rangers 5-0 in one week cannot be a fluke.
:clap:

Sanga Balende!
Where are you?
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

megapro wrote:
Sanga Balende wrote:Oloye, just like the NFL, boxing and other main stream sports, I believe that the conglomerates (Shooting/Rangers/NFA) were not ready for Alabi Aissien and his modern bunch. Neither were the NFA or Eagles ready for NNB to break the strong hold of both clubs.

The fact is that Egharevba, Ogboe, Agbonifo and that Bendel Insurance team ( Not just Adiele and Kadiri) were superior to Rangers and IICC.

Truth be told. For whatever reason, the NFA did not feel that Agbonifo could understudy Lawal or that Nnaji Agwo was a better keeper than Ogedegbe or Okalla.

Sanga Balende!
Where are you?
You still dey clap here this man :woot: :woot: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

oloye wrote:
megapro wrote:

Sanga Balende!
Where are you?
Yes o

Egbon
You made the debate a blockbuster
megapro 2012:
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

megapro wrote:
oloye wrote:
megapro wrote:

Sanga Balende!
Where are you?
Yes o

Egbon
You made the debate a blockbuster
Longest time my brother, i cannot believe some of the stuff discussed here....I need to grab the details for future references.

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

megapro wrote:

Sanga Balende!
Where are you?
MegaBROS, why are you clapping? :lol:

Agwo Nnaji is older than Okalla but was still playing local football at Ngwo Field in Enugu when Okalla broke into Rangers as a student at Metropolitan Onitsha. Agwo admittedly got better (I think he was first at Sapele or Warri before succeeding Essien or ex-Rangers Okosieme - who had been displaced by Okalla - at Insurance), but could never carry Okalla's jockstrap.

As for the rest of his hypothesis, that Insurance TEAM might have been better than Rangers and Sooting TEAMS, but the individual players were NOT particularly "superior" to the Rangers and IICC players then in the national team. Rather, just as Alabi Assien had done at Vasco (where he was our coach), the totality of the team was superior to the sum of its parts.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
CALLIY
Egg
Egg

Post by CALLIY »

insurance boy where bad, ask chritian Chuwkw
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Kai!

Will never forget this game and the bitterness that followed afterwards...

Stole out from school to join the Up Bende bus to the match....

I still remember that Ogboe finish----is that a dagger I see before me :twisted: :twisted:

Bendel caught lightening in a bottle; period.

The likes of Ogboe and Agboifo were simply New Bini footballers....

Nonsense!!!!!!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

txj wrote:Kai!

Will never forget this game and the bitterness that followed afterwards...

Stole out from school to join the Up Bende bus to the match....

I still remember that Ogboe finish----is that a dagger I see before me :twisted: :twisted:

Bendel caught lightening in a bottle; period.

The likes of Ogboe and Agboifo were simply New Bini footballers....

Nonsense!!!!!!
Bad day in the office for the flying anthelopes
megapro 2012:
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Oloye
Agbonifo was invited 10 times
Did he play a game for Nigeria?

He was vote 6th best player on Africa 1979 just before the AFCON 1980
megapro 2012:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

megapro wrote:Oloye

Couldn't give a rat's behind about the vote...For what you know, they probably rounded up a few drunks to cast the vote :rotf:

Agboifo was simply an "Upper Sakponba" footballer...

Nonsense!!!!

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Ezesportsworld
Egg
Egg

Post by Ezesportsworld »

Megapro, I hope you remember why Rangers lost to Bendel Insurance in the finals. My boys after playing in international match were obviously tired. The next scheduled league match against Bendel with the same squad , Rangers beat them 2-0...nothing special about them...
www.ezesportsworld.net

Chesapeake sports Academy
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Ezesportsworld wrote:Megapro, I hope you remember why Rangers lost to Bendel Insurance in the finals. My boys after playing in international match were obviously tired. The next scheduled league match against Bendel with the same squad , Rangers beat them 2-0...nothing special about them...

And I watched that 2-0 game also. E sweeeeeeeet my bele no be small :thumbs: :thumbs:

Down Bende :boo: :boo:

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

txj wrote:
megapro wrote:Oloye

Couldn't give a rat's behind about the vote...For what you know, they probably rounded up a few drunks to cast the vote :rotf:

Agboifo was simply an "Upper Sakponba" footballer...

Nonsense!!!!
Chai txj this ya mouth 'Upper Sakponba' footballer , this na hate apeech :lol:

DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

:thumbs: not forgetting Tarila Okorowanta and Roland ewere, Ebeneezer baja.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Great thread. I just want to correct one thing, though.

I believe the 1980 Cup of Nations came a tad too late for that great Bendel Insurance team. Here is why. Yes, several Insurance players were invited for the Green Eagles preparation for the 1980 Cup of Nations, not all of them planned to be there. First, Chris Ogu never traveled to the training camp in Brazil. Instead, he stayed back in Nigeria seeking his traveling Visa to the United States for school at North Carolina State. Francis Moniedafe traveled to Brazil but left camp (with approval from one of the coaches -- Godwin Etemike) to leave for the United States for further studies.

Then, it seems that many of you forgot the problems in the club that robbed several players of their form. First, Ogboe was on a 1-man strike for several weeks before the Canon game in 1979 protesting the car gift given to the likes of Agboinfo, Omokaro, and Moniedafe. If you remember, by the time he came back to the team he was in very poor form. That was his shape as he headed for Brazil. Remember also that after the loss to Canon, the club (Insurance) moved Agboinfo, Ogboe, and Egharevba to the office on account of poor play. That was as good as their form going to Brazil. However, it must be stated that Egharevba was one of the last cuts made for the Nations Cup.

Although, these players were later put back into the Insurance team, it speaks volumes that in the 1980 Challenge Cup final against Stores, Agboinfo was on the bench and Ogboe played just 55 minutes before being rescued by George Omokaro. Remember, Omokaro was also one of those who had been invited to the Eagles camp. The point being made here, is that several of those Insurance players were perhaps not in the best of form in Brazil. For me, the most surprising cuts are not those being mentioned here. Instead it was Prince Afejukwu who was one of emerging young talents in 1979 and he was one of the last and for me surprise cuts headed to the Nations Cup. If you want additional details of these events I direct you to Moniedafe's biography (I co-authored) titled Moniedafe: My Life and Glory Years of Bendel Insurance FC.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:Great thread. I just want to correct one thing, though.

I believe the 1980 Cup of Nations came a tad too late for that great Bendel Insurance team. Here is why. Yes, several Insurance players were invited for the Green Eagles preparation for the 1980 Cup of Nations, not all of them planned to be there. First, Chris Ogu never traveled to the training camp in Brazil. Instead, he stayed back in Nigeria seeking his traveling Visa to the United States for school at North Carolina State. Francis Moniedafe traveled to Brazil but left camp (with approval from one of the coaches -- Godwin Etemike) to leave for the United States for further studies.

Then, it seems that many of you forgot the problems in the club that robbed several players of their form. First, Ogboe was on a 1-man strike for several weeks before the Canon game in 1979 protesting the car gift given to the likes of Agboinfo, Omokaro, and Moniedafe. If you remember, by the time he came back to the team he was in very poor form. That was his shape as he headed for Brazil. Remember also that after the loss to Canon, the club (Insurance) moved Agboinfo, Ogboe, and Egharevba to the office on account of poor play. That was as good as their form going to Brazil. However, it must be stated that Egharevba was one of the last cuts made for the Nations Cup.

Although, these players were later put back into the Insurance team, it speaks volumes that in the 1980 Challenge Cup final against Stores, Agboinfo was on the bench and Ogboe played just 55 minutes before being rescued by George Omokaro. Remember, Omokaro was also one of those who had been invited to the Eagles camp. The point being made here, is that several of those Insurance players were perhaps not in the best of form in Brazil. For me, the most surprising cuts are not those being mentioned here. Instead it was Prince Afejukwu who was one of emerging young talents in 1979 and he was one of the last and for me surprise cuts headed to the Nations Cup. If you want additional details of these events I direct you to Moniedafe's biography (I co-authored) titled Moniedafe: My Life and Glory Years of Bendel Insurance FC.
Nonsense!!!!

I've never heard such a detailed and eloquent excuse for those Upper Sakponba footballers!!!

Strike or no strike, Ogboe was, to borrow from Cellular, Ogba na chance!

Its no wonder they were thoroughly schooled by Cannon; dem nefa finish rofo-rofo games for New Bini!!!!

And why the heck is a Vasco da Gama die hard fan making excuses for Up Bende?

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote:

Nonsense!!!!

I've never heard such a detailed and eloquent excuse for those Upper Sakponba footballers!!!

Its no wonder they were thoroughly schooled by Cannon; dem nefa finish rofo-rofo games for New Bini!!!!

Txj,

You jus dey look for Waffi trouble. Make you wait and see.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

txj wrote:

Nonsense!!!!

This man just begin like this new term dey take am tab Insurance
1979 Canon did not school Bendel
It was 1:0 in Yaounde
0:0 in Nigeria
megapro 2012:
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

OK
I'll post 1978 FA final commentry
Enjoy
megapro 2012: